• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smashboards Creates Discussion & Brainstorming Thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Welcome to the Smashboards Creates Discussion & Brainstorming Thread

Have you wondered if your idea would be received well? Have you struggled to understand why your thread isn't doing as well as you hoped? Have you participated in a Smashboards Creates thread only to find it missing that particular something? Let's talk about all the fun, joy, sadness, and frustration that comes with running and participating in these threads. This can serve as a way to connect to other thread owners and participants and can be used as a way to bounce ideas off from each other. Please remember this isn't a place to advertise a thread but can serve as a place to get advice, ideas, and help for your own thread. If you are considering launch a game, gauge others interest here. This could make better threads that are more engaging and active.​

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Lol I love how I got ton of notifications of a thread move. Like the top of the thread states, this is for general discussion concerning creation threads and brainstorming ideas or seeking advice.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I do genuinely need some help on what to do with my Soul For A Soul thread, some ideas/suggestions would be really appreciated.
1. Should I make it the goal to replace all of Ultimate's content? This would be really fun but I don't know how easy it would be to get rid of, say, Mario or Temple.
2. Does anyone know where to find an easy to copy-and-paste list of SSBU's content? Preferably not in alphabetical order. This is for the front page of the thread btw.
3. How should music replacements work?

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Would anyone be interested in a The Legend of Zelda Fighting Game Creation Thread?

It's a thread I had in mind for a while, but since a dedicated Mario fighter creation thread was made I'm a bit worried it'd be seen as redundant or unoriginal so that's a main reason I'm holding off on it. Basically it's a celebration of the entire series and as such would contain a lot of fighters and stages from previous LOZ games. Can't tell if it'd be a Platform Fighter, or a more standard 2D fighter, depends on what thread votes.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Would anyone be interested in a The Legend of Zelda Fighting Game Creation Thread?

It's a thread I had in mind for a while, but since a dedicated Mario fighter creation thread was made I'm a bit worried it'd be seen as redundant or unoriginal so that's a main reason I'm holding off on it. Basically it's a celebration of the entire series and as such would contain a lot of fighters and stages from previous LOZ games. Can't tell if it'd be a Platform Fighter, or a more standard 2D fighter, depends on what thread votes.
I'd probably drop in if there are any jobs related to Tingle or his games, but I won't be active.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

I won't be able to contribute much other than 3D content since that's all I've played, but I'll submit the characters and stages I'm fond of as long as CD-i isn't banned. I'm thinking actually of starting up a Sonic-centric thread soon, but I guess we can just make sure not to start our threads on the same day lol. In terms of platfighter vs 2D fighter, I'd say go for the latter, or even an arena fighter if you'd like. It's obvious platfighters get more attention here, but maybe having a 2D tradfighter would help yours stand out a bit.
And with the oversaturation thing, I wouldn't worry about it - with Ultimate speculation over, what else are we gonna use this site for other than social stuff?

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I'd probably drop in if there are any jobs related to Tingle or his games, but I won't be active.
Appreciate the honesty, I'll make sure to edit in "(We're doing a Tingle Job)" in the title when we do Tingle jobs.

I do genuinely need some help on what to do with my Soul For A Soul thread, some ideas/suggestions would be really appreciated.
1. Should I make it the goal to replace all of Ultimate's content? This would be really fun but I don't know how easy it would be to get rid of, say, Mario or Temple.
1. To be honest I think that'd both be too long and a bit restricting (to remove literally everything). I think it'd be fun if the end goal is replacing 75% of the content in Ultimate (with only 25% from Ultimate remaining). Like a comparison thing as you see what somehow survived the transition from Ultimate to the end of Soul for a Soul. That's just my opinion though.

As for the other questions I have nothing to say, I don't have the copy-and-pasteable list, and I'm not a person who's overly into music (I still want to listen to good songs, but as long as the song is good I don't have a strong opinion) so I don't know how to do music replacements.

I won't be able to contribute much other than 3D content since that's all I've played, but I'll submit the characters and stages I'm fond of as long as CD-i isn't banned. I'm thinking actually of starting up a Sonic-centric thread soon, but I guess we can just make sure not to start our threads on the same day lol. In terms of platfighter vs 2D fighter, I'd say go for the latter, or even an arena fighter if you'd like. It's obvious platfighters get more attention here, but maybe having a 2D tradfighter would help yours stand out a bit.
And with the oversaturation thing, I wouldn't worry about it - with Ultimate speculation over, what else are we gonna use this site for other than social stuff?
I can guarantee the CD-i Stuff WILL BE allowed. I won't do forced jobs (like "add a Stage from the CD-i games"), but if people nominate and vote for stuff from them, they are entirely welcomed in this household.

Also, thanks for the advice. I'm likely going to make it a 2D fighter now (can't tell if I'm doing something more similar to Mortal Kombat, King of Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, or etc., but it'll be a 2D fighter. Gameplay will likely be decided in thread)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Also, thanks for the advice. I'm likely going to make it a 2D fighter now (can't tell if I'm doing something more similar to Mortal Kombat, King of Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, or etc., but it'll be a 2D fighter. Gameplay will likely be decided in thread)
Sounds good. One thing I will suggest is putting up a universal movelist on the front page once it's decided on, since most people here are primarily Smash fans and wouldn't know how to make a moveset for a tradfighter. Thankfully we have things like :GCD::GCDL::GCDR::GCA::GCB:so it won't be too hard for thread-goers to visualize.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sonic Smash Bros creation thread will be up later today. We'll do an "anyone's fair game" job as well as a modern stage job first.
If you want to start brainstorming, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Eggman are locked in, as well as Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary (Green and Windy Hills are returning so they're also locked). Song submissions will work like the Mario thread.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
I have a question for seasoned thread runners. Let's say you make an oopsie at the beginning and you realized too late how bad of a mistake it is. How do you go about fixing this mistake while being honest to your participants? I think I've gotten most of my big mistakes out of the way but if anything comes up again it would be nice to have advice. The past times I've screwed up I've used the thread and my thread's discord to discuss what should be done but sometimes I feel like my solutions are a bit rushed.

FazDude

Smash Master
Does anyone have any criticisms/ideas for All-Star Strife? I wanna keep it a fun thread, but I don't want it to be too slow nor too hectic; I want it to be at a pace where people can feel they have enough time to work on jobs.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I have a question for seasoned thread runners. Let's say you make an oopsie at the beginning and you realized too late how bad of a mistake it is. How do you go about fixing this mistake while being honest to your participants? I think I've gotten most of my big mistakes out of the way but if anything comes up again it would be nice to have advice. The past times I've screwed up I've used the thread and my thread's discord to discuss what should be done but sometimes I feel like my solutions are a bit rushed.
I'm not exactly a seasoned thread making veteran or anything but I find a bit of creative thinking can transform a 'whoops' into a 'whoa, that's a cool idea!' dependent on what the error is.

Just got to work out the angles in order to see how you can spin a screw up into a success story.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm not exactly a seasoned thread making veteran or anything but I find a bit of creative thinking can transform a 'whoops' into a 'whoa, that's a cool idea!' dependent on what the error is.

Just got to work out the angles in order to see how you can spin a screw up into a success story.
I really like how you make your announcements particularly applicable to your subject matter. I think that is very creative.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I often try to either address the mistake or working around it. Being upfront and professional is best. You could even ask the thread what the best pathway they think would be. I feel a lot of those who invest time in a thread are more willing to give thoughtful and meaningful input.

So I had some ideas but…

Im managing four threads at the moment with Infinite being the largest. Having them all here helps me manage them thankfully. I feel ideas I have that I want to try to attempt but I simply don’t have the time…

Mega Man 12 (and Beyond Thread)
Mega Man X9 (and Beyond Thread)
Create a new Zelda game
Create a new Darkstalkers game
Create a Darksouls/Elder Ring boss
Create a Harvest Moon game
Create a new Dissidia game
Create a Marvel Hero Shooter game

I don’t even plan to touch any of these but would anyone be remotely interested in at least participating in any one of them?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
don’t even plan to touch any of these but would anyone be remotely interested in at least participating in any one of them?
I'd love to take over the X9 thread sometime, but even just running two creation threads is really tiring for me. Maybe in the summer I'll pick it up if no one else has yet.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd love to take over the X9 thread sometime, but even just running two creation threads is really tiring for me. Maybe in the summer I'll pick it up if no one else has yet.
I wouldn’t mind to alternating ownership

I am looking for partial ownership/co-host for a really despicable creation thread….bwahaha

Oddball

Smash Lord
I often try to either address the mistake or working around it. Being upfront and professional is best. You could even ask the thread what the best pathway they think would be. I feel a lot of those who invest time in a thread are more willing to give thoughtful and meaningful input.

So I had some ideas but…

Im managing four threads at the moment with Infinite being the largest. Having them all here helps me manage them thankfully. I feel ideas I have that I want to try to attempt but I simply don’t have the time…

Mega Man 12 (and Beyond Thread)
Mega Man X9 (and Beyond Thread)
Create a new Zelda game
Create a new Darkstalkers game
Create a Darksouls/Elder Ring boss
Create a Harvest Moon game
Create a new Dissidia game
Create a Marvel Hero Shooter game

I don’t even plan to touch any of these but would anyone be remotely interested in at least participating in any one of them?
I'd be interested in Zelda, Darkstalkers, or Dissidia.

On a completely separate note, I've put some thought myself into making a Horror (or perhaps just generally spooky) Smash, but I'm not surer what the interest here would be. Also it might be more work than I have time for right now.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Is creating non-video-game content alright here? Like, I have the (unfortunately dusty) Nintendo Cinematic Universe, but would it be fine to create something that isn’t really video game related?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
So I want to make a new Shonen Jump platfighter creation thread after the last one flopped in large part due to how I ran it. Does anyone have any tips for running such a thread?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I want to make a new Shonen Jump platfighter creation thread after the last one flopped in large part due to how I ran it. Does anyone have any tips for running such a thread?
Keep a firm grasp on the thread but also allow plenty of room for creativity. You don't want people to feel confined in their choices, but you also want to have clear, concise, and nuanced jobs. Having a "submit criteria for next job" job every other day can solve this but is a rather slow method.

Also, if you don't go for the above method make sure you have at least the first 15-20 jobs planned out, that way by the time you run out of planned jobs, you've got a good idea of what the game has become and you can pretty much come up with criteria on the fly.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Keep a firm grasp on the thread but also allow plenty of room for creativity. You don't want people to feel confined in their choices, but you also want to have clear, concise, and nuanced jobs. Having a "submit criteria for next job" job every other day can solve this but is a rather slow method.

Also, if you don't go for the above method make sure you have at least the first 15-20 jobs planned out, that way by the time you run out of planned jobs, you've got a good idea of what the game has become and you can pretty much come up with criteria on the fly.
Late but adding onto this, I think it's important to give your thread the love it needs and make sure there's passion going into it. I think a problem with some threads is that they're very much kinda just "submit thing. time to vote. thing is getting in. NEXT" with barely any thought put into it. Building up a community aspect where the threadgoers can all discuss each other's ideas and work towards setting the thread in a particular direction can go a long way towards making sure you have a cohesive project with a vision instead of just a list of things that happened to get voted in. (You can achieve this with things like setting up a Discord server or establishing "discussion periods" over given topics in the thread itself)

Creation threads are IMO at their most fun when there's actual passion going into them and everyone has an actual idea of what they want the project to be like and aren't just submitting for the sake of submitting. I tried my best to make my own thread fun and engaging, and encouraged discussion while also making sure we had a vision. The end result is that we now have a super fun and varied roster on our hands, honestly the best SEGA fan roster I've ever seen. Putting thought and effort into running your thread instead of making it a basic submit/vote/submit cycle, building up a community aspect where users can discuss the thread's direction and generally trying to make it a fun cohesive thing can really help with making sure you end up with a banger project on your hands. From my personal experience at least, give the thread the love and passion it needs and the people just might respond in kind.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Anyone here interesed in a Fate/Type-Moon fighting game? Either with the Smash mechanics or a more conventional fighting game playstyle. I also have the idea of a new Marvel vs Capcom and a Indie Smash-like game (but I'm sure that it must be a ton of threads with that idea)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone here interesed in a Fate/Type-Moon fighting game? Either with the Smash mechanics or a more conventional fighting game playstyle. I also have the idea of a new Marvel vs Capcom and a Indie Smash-like game (but I'm sure that it must be a ton of threads with that idea)
I'd be into that. Though it might be slightly niche. Don't be afraid to give it a try though.

We did have an MVC4 thread that finished its base roster. We never did DLC likely due to Venus being so busy. There is an indie thread currently running: All-Star Strife !

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Everyone knows in these kinds of topics that the roster itself is the bread and butter.

The question I have is what other jobs are you most interested in and which ones you personally just skip over.

Music?
Levels?
Moves?
Stages?
Bosses?
Costumes?

I'm curious here.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm wondering, is anyone interested in this concept?

It's called "Pong: Paradox" - where 1972's Pong is ripped from the timeline and released today as a triple A multiplayer title with only online added and nothing else - after a major marketing campaign gone horribly wrong, it's up to us to turn the tides, win back this once-influential game's repuation, and justify that £60 purchase!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I know we have a ton of platfighter/fighting game creation threads but I feel for another big company crossover fighter, I am torn between starting a Universal Studios platfighter/traditional fighter or a WildBrain traditional/platfighter. If anyone is interested in these ideas, please send me a message.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know we have a ton of platfighter/fighting game creation threads but I feel for another big company crossover fighter, I am torn between starting a Universal Studios platfighter/traditional fighter or a WildBrain traditional/platfighter. If anyone is interested in these ideas, please send me a message.
Universal seems to have the IPs with more of a wide appeal. Most of WildBrain's stuff is either A. really obscure, B. often mistakenly believed to be property of another company, or C. Johnny Test or Caillou.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Go with what you want but while Wildbrian does seem to have a lot of IP's but out ot the two universal would be the way to go. Dreamworks, Monsters and Classic Films gives you a lot to work with. Wildbrain would have a lot of audience overlap with the PBS thread

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Nice Profile.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've been wanting to do a creation thread for a Persona Q game that includes all mainline games for a while now. But I'm not sure whether there would be any interest in it or if an RPG thread would be hard to run.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I've been trying to come up with my own LEGO Dimensions 2 Thread but i don't if it's allowed for us to carry 2 similar threads that contrast each other.

And i'm having trouble making a good impression with it too, what should i do?

Top Bottom