• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
For context keep in mind he's been outspoken in how much he hates joke characters

And PP can def be constituted as a joke character, even his reveal as a fighter had comedic timing to it

Imagine if you just lost all your most requested characters (as this guys did) to a character archetype you hate most of all

I understand people's salt, even if I dont share it
I don't understand it and I don't think I ever will. I don't hate any characters whatsoever, let alone as much as he seems to.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
From what I read, Verge is hinting at Steve being a character now. Until he 100% confirms steve (he was like this with the gen 7 rep before going full incineroar), I'm holding out for either costume or stage. Smash is a weird place right now, and people are just going manic and throwing out names. Until we get past the release date and hear about a direct that will have dlc announcements, I think everyone needs to collectively take a breath.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Idc, I'd download a Granblue character. They look fine. Downloaded Bayonetta, not like she was in the same league as the others either.

I also can't imagine a plausible SE character I wouldn't hop on. DQ? Cool. Crono? Sweet. Sora? Awesome.
I guess I wouldn't be super psyched about Lara Croft, just because her moveset doesn't seem like it'd be as exciting as some other options, but it wouldn't be the end of the world, and I don't expect her anyway.

Minecraft is a hard pass though. :p
That said, if it were just a stage, I'd probably scoop it up too. I just can't with Steve. LOOK AT HIM
I'd buy it regardless because I'm a competitive player and I gotta analyze everything,

So yeah, despite how much I may complain about a character or the pricing or whatever, I will regardless still purchase it like the massive hypocrite that I am.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ahhh The references in Pichu's costumes...
There's a Team Aqua Grunt Bandanna
There's a Team skull grunt Bandanna
And there's even a Spikey Eared, alt...

Sakurai's a mad man
I'm teaming Incineroar up with Team Skull Pichu. The Ultimate Gen 7 bad guys who aren't really bad at all.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Seeing how I’ve seen a lot of arguements with DLC, I’ll sprinkle in some of my thoughts.

I think both Sora and Geno can get in.

With Sakurai mentioning Geno being popular, I think that already sets in stone that Geno will still sell well at least. Geno isn’t that undershowed as people are making him out to be all of a sudden. Yeah, I guess SE can be a bit a bit of a pain to work with, but I think with DLC, negotiations are a lot easier to make. And by having Sora along too separately, it may be a deal SE would at least be content with.

A Gen 8 Pokémon and FE: Three Houses have zero chances of getting in the first season.

If Sakurai couldn’t get Rex and Pyra on time, he sure as hell wouldn’t get characters whose game would only be in deep development at the time and come out around 1.5-2 years later. I don’t think either are in in the meantime. (Plus we don’t know if the 2019 game is Gen 8 to begin with).

Some of the DLC characters are those Sakurai wasn’t able to get in the base game.

Hence, why I think Sakurai said he started planning who would get in around 2016-2017. He realized that with the current scope of the game, some characters had to be prioritized over others. It’s why I think Elma is likely all of a sudden since there isn’t any X content and Monolith Soft went the extra mile with Elma with the amount of interactions she had with the other characters. Same could be said to Geno and maybe with Sora since getting rights for them and the other third parties could’ve been a bit too much.

However, I don’t think all of the DLC characters were decided along with the base roster. Sakurai was pretty clear that he doesn’t think of all the DLC at the very beginning, so some of them were decided later on.

Some ATs, Spring Man, and Rex’s costume are all meant to be consolation prizes.

Seeing how Rex and Spring Man were popular characters, I think them having references is all Sakurai was able to do in the time to at least give those fans something. Heck Sakurai was pretty clear with Rex on that one. The same can be said for Isaac. Isaac was an extremely popular character with a lot of support, and seeing how he was updated, I think it was something the team was able to at least manage to get in for GS fans. Isaac is another character I think was meant to get in as playable but couldn’t due to time contraints and the game’s scope.

However, I think they have a chance for at least a Season 2. Seeing how they are all popular, and how King K. Rool’s costume was also meant to be a consolation prize only for him to be a fighter, and the fact that since the Switch is more successful, we can potentially get more DLC past the first 5. I think Sakurai is at least considering them for a potential second season of Smash DLC.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
You placed too much importance on something that didn't matter since Melee.

Ice Climbers, Roy, and Pichu would never make a "Nintendo All-Star" version of the roster for any reason but...they were!
How dare you, Ices are a staple, hell I can name every game they've been in by memory

1. Ice Climbers
2. ...... Melee

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm sorry ya'll...

But I know nothing about Sora and I know he'd be ****ing hype, and even if it's NOT Sora, Slime would make Japan collectively NUTT.

I fail to see how 5(6) OPTIONAL characters "Ruin the game" as soo many Madonnas put it.
Sakurai: im gonna put all those characters the smash bros fans want in the base game, and put all this characters that don't appeal that much to the smash fanbase behind a paywall...

Smash Fanbase: Why have thou forsaken us?????

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Smash is on a very dangerous path right now. I've never been mad at a reveal before. Disappointed, sure. But every character so far has been a worthy inclusion in some way, and for many people a dream come true. Until piranha plant. Being a smash bros character means nothing now. There's no requirement. There's no status needed. Smash characters can just be whatever now and it doesn't matter. Pirahna plant is a blemish on the roster and I would rather get no freebie than have this character. It legitimately ruins the roster somewhat for me. Now we may be getting a third party mobile game character. What a truly ****ty idea. It's basically the equivalent of getting a clash of clans character. And steve. I have nothing against minecraft. I like minecraft. But steve is just a knockoff lego man with practically no animations. Another garbage character. And the square nix character may just be ****ing slime. Generic enemy number 2. This is a ****ing ****show if it's true. It doesn't mean anything now. This may be my last smash game. I love the whole base roster. I think I'll keep it untarnished by avoiding the dlc and then stay away from smash in the future if Verg is right. It makes me incredibly sad because smash has always been one of my favorite series. But if this is the kind of content we have to look forward to then I'm out.
I've never understood this whole "X character tarnishes" the roster mentality. Like how? Is Piranha Plant somehow some sort of unholy demon that corrupts the holy light of Smash? That the roster is some sort of sacred thing that needs to be kept pure? This is the same argument a lot of people use against Cloud to. "How dare this 3rd party character with little relation to Nintendo come in and tarnish this perfect line up! Now the roster is less for it, and the floodgates are open for people to ask for the likes of Shrek and Goku!"

Just say you don't like the character, jeez. No need to be so melodramatic about it.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't get it twisted, I think most people dislike Vergeben, I know I do.

But the man has yet to 'be' wrong about Smash, and he only has 2 points of contention left, one apparently getting revealed next month.

Don't take that guy's word to speak to everyone discussing the leak, he's overdramatic as ****.
I wish they'd just be quiet and let it play out instead of being so desperate for attention.
Villager and Wii Fit trainer anyone? And I’m not sure but I think Roy might also fall into the category of Player Avatars representing their game.
Villagers maybe (though they still have more charm and personality and aren't designed to be modded over), but the WFTs are instructors. They are always there.

How many casual Minecraft players even know it has a name?

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
When you think about it, most character picks have at least one game released on current Nintendo hardware. B-K's series, meanwhile, is stuck on Xbone.

Would have been pretty impractical for people wanting to try new games they never heard of, if they're forced to buy another console just to get to them.
While that is true there is the rumored (and let's face it inevitable) N64 mini that could have their games on it so they could use it to promote that.

D

Deleted member

So we've all seen what certain characters would do in their last moments before being devoured in the light and it's a really great show of personality.

So I've been thinking:
If your most wanted character was in that scene, what would they do in their last moments when put in that situation, and how would they inevitably bite the dust?
Oh I like this:
Crono: would push whoever is next to him away and try to take the hit for them.
Protector: would manage to hold their footing while shielding but the beams would eventually destroy the shield and her alongside it.
Wonder-Red: "Press A to save the Earth!"
Smash is on a very dangerous path right now. I've never been mad at a reveal before. Disappointed, sure. But every character so far has been a worthy inclusion in some way, and for many people a dream come true. Until piranha plant. Being a smash bros character means nothing now. There's no requirement. There's no status needed. Smash characters can just be whatever now and it doesn't matter. Pirahna plant is a blemish on the roster and I would rather get no freebie than have this character. It legitimately ruins the roster somewhat for me. Now we may be getting a third party mobile game character. What a truly ****ty idea. It's basically the equivalent of getting a clash of clans character. And steve. I have nothing against minecraft. I like minecraft. But steve is just a knockoff lego man with practically no animations. Another garbage character. And the square nix character may just be ****ing slime. Generic enemy number 2. This is a ****ing ****show if it's true. It doesn't mean anything now. This may be my last smash game. I love the whole base roster. I think I'll keep it untarnished by avoiding the dlc and then stay away from smash in the future if Verg is right. It makes me incredibly sad because smash has always been one of my favorite series. But if this is the kind of content we have to look forward to then I'm out.
I, meanwhile, am excited on the possibility of literally anything. Catch me when I make a Ragelope thread, *****!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Like, people **** on Bayonetta but on Tumblr polls she was INCREDIBLY popular iirc
How people who suffer from internet-culture-induced political short-term memory loss respond to this trivia: "LOL HOW IRONIC"

How people who don't suffer from internet-culture-induced political short-term memory loss respond to this trivia: "Perfectly Balanced, As All Things Should Be."

So I've been thinking:
If your most wanted character was in that scene, what would they do in their last moments when put in that situation, and how would they inevitably bite the dust?
2B would've pulled a fast one and gotten out the black box to try and take Galeem with her.

Sora would've tried saving one of the other fighters by deflecting a blast with his keyblade.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I don't understand it and I don't think I ever will. I don't hate any characters whatsoever, let alone as much as he seems to.
Lemme akin it to this then

He prob wouldn't hate PP as much if we actually got the likes of Isaac, Geno, Bandana Dee, Rex, or any of the Smash Community favorites before it

I still think it's entirely the smash community's faults for expecting them in the firs place but it is what it is

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Let's play a game...
These guys don't really have standard names... They just go by their species names or job description
Give them actual names them will ya?
:ultduckhunt:
:ultincineroar:
:ultgreninja:
:ultinkling:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ultlucario:
:ultpichu:
:ultpikachu:
:ultpiranha:
:ultvillager:
:ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd buy it regardless because I'm a competitive player and I gotta analyze everything,

So yeah, despite how much I may complain about a character or the pricing or whatever, I will regardless still purchase it like the massive hypocrite that I am.
Well you certainly wouldn't be alone in that. I have to imagine the majority of the diehards who might rail on a character do end up buying them anyway, just because it's a character.

But even more so if you're competitive. Then you kinda have to. And frankly that few dollars is the least of the investment there.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I wish they'd just be quiet and let it play out instead of being so desperate for attention.

Villagers maybe (though they still have more charm and personality and aren't designed to be modded over), but the WFTs are instructors. They are always there.

How many casual Minecraft players even know it has a name?
No here's the thing, I think at this point in time, Vergeben is only continuing to leak because he knows the community hates leaks and wants to piss them off because he hates them.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

It's just a game calm down bro. Pretty much everyone who made the roster so far deserves their spot in some way, shape, or form. I don't like some characters but they are worth it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Now that emotions have cooled down from yesterday's wish list massacre, can I just say that World of Light looks awesome AF? They took the best aspects of the SSE and Event Mode and made this beast with full voice acting? Damn... Can't wait for the cutscenes and full boss list to be leaked.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Who is everyone's top 5 most wanted for DLC?

Mine are:
-Steve
-Sora
-Banjo
-Teemo
-Waluigi
1. Dovahkiin.

That’s it.

If I were being honest, I’d love to see Tails (I think he’s the most deserving character overall) and Urbosa, but with DLC evidently being preplanned, I think Spirits may be disconfirms as well. Unless there ends up being a Season 2.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Now that emotions have cooled down from yesterday's wish list massacre, can I just say that World of Light looks awesome AF? They took the best aspects of the SSE and Event Mode and made this beast with full voice acting? Damn... Can't wait for the cutscenes and full boss list to be leaked.
Emotions have not calmed down in any way, shape, or form dude

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So we've all seen what certain characters would do in their last moments before being devoured in the light and it's a really great show of personality.

So I've been thinking:
I'll do all the characters in my signature.

Marx: Tries to black hole, attempting to absorb the light and save people. It fails, and he screeches the Marx Soul Scream as he dies.

Ninten: Attemps to 4th-D Slip away. He dodges one, but dies to the next.

Kamek: Tries to protect Bowser and Bowser. Jr. He dies last.

Bandana Dee: Attempts to shield Dedede. He pushes him away, but Dee comes back. The both die bickering.

Decidueye: Tries to stay cool and protect Pichu. Pichu goes first, and Decidueye breaks.

Grovyle: Attempts to use a time gear to slow down time, making the dodging process much easier. He fails, but with releif spreading through his face.

Maxwell: He's not playing around, he applies the "invincible" adjective to himself and uses his Sister's globe to evade them. He survives.

Galacta Knight: Charges into Master Heart, very overconfident in himself. He dies first among everyone.

Fawful: Yells "I have fury!!!". It does nothing to help him.

Arcade Rabbit: Attempts to use the Arcade Claw Machine to save Isabelle.

Octoling: Simmilar to Inkling.

Lycanroc: Attempts to shield itself with rocks. It helps nothing.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The salt from Steve and the Granblue character are going to be delicious. After recent developments these are totally choices Sakurai would make. At least Sora will be awesome

Reaction to Katalina - WTF A MOBILE CHARACTER FROM A JAPANESE ONLY GAME! ANOTHER GENERIC ANIME SWORDSMAN AS WELL WTF! AND THEY SAID GENO AND ISAAC WERE OBSCURE. WHERE THE **** ARE MY PLAYABLE ISAAC AND GENO SAKURAI!

Reaction to Steve - WHERE THE **** IS BANJO?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, it was the only part that got me at max level hype.

Shroob

Sup?
Sakurai: im gonna put all those characters the smash bros fans want in the base game, and put all this characters that don't appeal that much to the smash fanbase behind a paywall...

Smash Fanbase: Why have thou forsaken us?????
This is exactly my stance.

DLC characters are optional, and hell, even with Smash 4, they weren't 'big' names in speculation in terms of actual 'new' characters.

Since "EVERYONE IS HERE", we can't have Veteran DLC, and with, I'd argue, MOST BIG 3rd party names already in, I expect the DLC to be WAY MORE like Corrin/Bayo levels than Mewtwo levels.

Steve? Sora? Makes perfect sense.

D

Deleted member

No here's the thing, I think at this point in time, Vergeben is only continuing to leak because he knows the community hates leaks and wants to piss them off because he hates them.
What a hero...

C'mon, if you really hate someone, you make a fake leak with highly requested characters in it, slap the Grinch on there, and let the community run wild.

:4pacman:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
As a major VO fan, I'm excited to see the job these voice actors did.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
Please tell me cutscenes are confirmed tho and not just the battles and stuff. I'm happy either way, but I think the reason we all hold subspace in such high regard is that we loved seeing our characters interact.

Also if they do more talking, all fanboys gonna be dying, bodies round the world.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay, bye I guess
This isn't a real post right?

This has gotta be a copy pasta because you can't expect me to reasonably believe that someone would actually have this opinion.
I've never understood this whole "X character tarnishes" the roster mentality. Like how? Is Piranha Plant somehow some sort of unholy demon that corrupts the holy light of Smash? That the roster is some sort of sacred thing that needs to be kept pure? This is the same argument a lot of people use against Cloud to. "How dare this 3rd party character with little relation to Nintendo come in and tarnish this perfect line up! Now the roster is less for it, and the floodgates are open for people to ask for the likes of Shrek and Goku!"

Just say you don't like the character, jeez. No need to be so melodramatic about it.
Thanks for the hate all. I should have know better than to express my disappointment. Clearly my opinion is incorrect.

NineS

Smash Lord
Hello everyone I am new to the Smash Boards. And in my personal I dont think Geno will be in. I think we will get another Square Enix character. I feel everyone expects Geno, however outside of Smash bros demand. Geno as a character is not very relative to the current times.

He hasnt had a game in a long time, nor do I think their will be a new Super Mario RPG. This is due to that I do not believe Nintendo will want competition to their Mario & Luigi RPG games. I think the next Squre Enix representative will follow the trend of 3rd party characters in Smash. They are popular and they are still relative. Also they are characters that represent the company that they come from. When I think of Geno, I dont see him representing Square Enix, in fact he most likely would be added to the Mario characters. This is just my opinion, but I think the next Square Enix character will be another character.
I only hope you're right because this means it could be 2B, but I know it won't be 2B.
2B would've pulled a fast one and gotten out the black box to try and take Galeem with her.

Sora would've tried saving one of the other fighters by deflecting a blast with his keyblade.

YOU HAVE SUMMONED ME!

And that's a pretty accurate way to put it. Actually, Pretty sure Yoko Taro would've actually just had them all die trying...

I mean, I know Emil would've probably taken out the entire planet just to get Galeem.
9S probably would've done the same as 2B.
Same goes for A2.

Sheesh, these really are a lot of self-sacrificing characters. They're more human than I am, and I'm an actual human.

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Well, Chrom is confirmed to be in Robin’s Final Smash. Assist Trophies promoting to Playable seems a little more likely now.

Shroob

Sup?
The salt from Steve and the Granblue character are going to be delicious. After recent developments these are totally choices Sakurai would make.

Reaction to Katalina - WTF A MOBILE CHARACTER FROM A JAPANESE ONLY GAME! ANOTHER GENERIC ANIME SWORDSMAN AS WELL WTF! AND THEY SAID GENO AND ISAAC WERE OBSCURE. WHERE THE **** ARE MY PLAYABLE ISAAC AND GENO SAKURAI!

Reaction to Steve - WHERE THE **** IS BANJO?
You're implying most Smash fans are actually intelligent enough to NOT think she's from Fire Emblem.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And that’s gonna change next year

Villager managed to fear something for once

What about Male Robin? Or does he just die while talking about his top scalings
I just default to saying the gender I chose for my playthrough with customizable player characters.

Really wish they'd throw us a female Robin stock icon already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom