• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Fwiw, the parts of this that are objective... aren't wrong. Other than maybe the first sentence.

That said, if the thing that's ruining Smash for you is optional content, just don't indulge in it. Anything else that comes our way this time will also be optional content. And as for the next Smash, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Thanks for that. I plan on doing just that. I'll thoroughly enjoy the base roster and skip the dlc. It just sucks because I was really looking forward to the dlc. Plus it makes me pessimistic about smash in the future. I appreciate you being nice about it.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Why are we saying "this round" of DLC, as if there's gonna be another season?
There's not.
It's pretty clear dlc will only run for the same time as smash 4 did. The end date in Feb 2020 is the same timeframe Smash 4 dlc had which ended in Feb 2016

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
OH HEY, you changed your avatar so I didn't recognize ya

good to hear
Yup, went with a new look only had Tepes up for halloween. More than that it was more of a I had a friend in the business sort of thing and was going off them. Course theyre just a peon so wouldnt know the final roster only what they work on. More than that the whole box theory coulda just been explained to me by reminding me how Amazon, a company based on Seattle, were the ones who leaked it out and have a history of being jackasses.

Edit: Jackasses isnt censored? cool

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
He did the same thing with people who were leaking gen 7 pokemon reps, along with Ken. The information is new, and if more people confirm it and he feels safer in judgement, I will become less suspicious.
This isn't 'new' info though, this has been known since September.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
He did the same thing with people who were leaking gen 7 pokemon reps, along with Ken. The information is new, and if more people confirm it and he feels safer in judgement, I will become less suspicious.
I don't really follow what you're saying but Verg's reasoning for backing the guy is that they seem to have a lot of the same info, with the only discrepancies being Steve and Granblue, as well as they themselves apart from Verg having a good record

Not saying they're confirmed, as even Verg himself isn't incapable of getting bad info, but at this point I think they're likeliness has sky rocketed

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The sad part is that you're right, and most of them immediately assume any anime character that isn't Isaac or Goku is Fire Emblem. If not, then they'll assume Xenoblade because it's anime-looking.
Devil’s Advocate here...
Most of the JRPG protags we have easily do fit into similar molds - they look like swordsmen who came straight out of a ‘Drawing Anime 101’ class.

Tbh, I’m not a huge fan of JRPGs, so the idea that more than one of our only 5 confirmed DLC characters will also fit that mold is a bit annoying to me. I much prefer grittier Western RPGs - I know I’m one of the few Skyrim nuts around, but I’ve been on a bit of a Fallout kick lately too.

It’d be interesting to get some variety in the DLCs. I’m not Steve’s biggest fan, but I’ll totally admit that Minecraft more than deserves its place.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wasn't here when the direct was watched live but there's this user who treated Box backers as he would satan. He had a vlad the impaler avatar, I think he may have been a fairly frequent user. Anybody knows how he's doing? I imagine not okay
Ah yes, that'd be Kingofkoopas.
Dunno where he's gone, but I haven't seen him.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Until verge himself, not some other leaker, comes out and says that yes, the granblue character is in, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Steve (sadly) is looking more likely, but it makes sense in a way.
The thing we all really need to remember regarding Minecraft/Steve:

It is the second-highest selling game of all time, behind only Tetris, which had a 25 year head start. Microsoft bought it for a higher price than Disney bought Star Wars.

Every suit in Nintendo, Bandai and Microsoft would want this to happen.

D

Deleted member

Someone call me if anyone sees any Shulk gameplay)that's actually watchable, I've seen some clips on Youtube that would have made watching the Direct at 144p bearable
Let's play a game...
These guys don't really have standard names... They just go by their species names or job description
Give them actual names them will ya?
:ultduckhunt: Banjo and Kazooie
:ultincineroar: Tony
:ultgreninja: Kermit
:ultinkling: Squidward
:ultjigglypuff: Bopit
:ultlucario: Son Goku
:ultpichu: Jerry
:ultpikachu: Jerry Sr.
:ultpiranha: Petey Jr.
:ultvillager: Jack
:ultwiifittrainer: Karen
Well, there you go

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
The thing we all really need to remember regarding Minecraft/Steve:

It is the second-highest selling game of all time, behind only Tetris, which had a 25 year head start. Microsoft bought it for a higher price than Disney bought Star Wars.

Every suit in Nintendo, Bandai and Microsoft would want this to happen.
Oh I totally see it (playing minecraft as i scroll through the thread), I'm just trying to see how it could be unique to others. It's a cash grab for sure, but it's just me being stubborn in a way.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
One random thing I gotta ask...
Is that rendition of Guile's theme in the Direct a new remix or a preexisting remix?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh I totally see it (playing minecraft as i scroll through the thread), I'm just trying to see how it could be unique to others. It's a cash grab for sure, but it's just me being stubborn in a way.
I'm stubborn too. I don't want Steve as a character. I'd never play him. I have absolutely no emotional attachment to Minecraft and his weird, stiff animations would be jarring to watch, let alone play against.

I'm just a realist and I have a hard time convincing myself Steve isn't in on the basis of "I don't want him." So I'm bracing for it and not buying the season pass. It would actually be a dollar cheaper if I bought all four characters that aren't Steve.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Let's play a game...
These guys don't really have standard names... They just go by their species names or job description
Give them actual names them will ya?
:ultduckhunt:-Fido and Felipe
:ultincineroar:
:ultgreninja: - Agua
:ultinkling: - Woomy E. Wewm
:ultjigglypuff: - Charles
:ultlucario: - Chun Li
:ultpichu: - Pancho
:ultpikachu: - Pincho
:ultpiranha:
:ultvillager: - Tomas Jefferson
:ultwiifittrainer:- Sally

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I almost typed out like a page of how people are being dramatic on both spectrums on this thread BUT THEN I realized that would legit be so hypocritical SO instead :-3

What are you most excited for in ultimate?

What character are you the most interested in?

What stage are you the most excited to play on?

1.) spirits honestly looks so so fun, even if their aren’t any cutscenes or intense story to go with it

2.) Zelda looks so fabulous...and kinda viable now? Also love my girl Palutena and......legit am excited for PP he’s just SO weird so I love it

3.) fountain of dreams obviously looks beautiful BUT I’m like loving the background of Corneria so that too

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't necessarily think Steve is playable because of Verge's comments on "Minecraft content". I think it's possible Steve could be an unseen Mii costume. But a spirit could also qualify as content.

Why it wasnt shown?

Maybe to hide an existing microsoft partnership on smash... To perhaps surprise us more on Banjo?

That's highly speculative, if we still believe papageno's source... Maybe.

I personally don't believe we'll get a playable microsoft character as DLC but seeing as there is Ubisoft and Wayforward content in spirits... Wouldnt surprise me if that was the extent of Minecraft/ microsoft content.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's how I feel like this will play out. Groom a successor by having them make a season or two of DLC
And by the time were in a new console generation and a new inevitable smash is being made theyll hold the reigns and sakurai will be on the beach sipping a nice drink and catching some rays. The man deserves it.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
For context keep in mind he's been outspoken in how much he hates joke characters

And PP can def be constituted as a joke character, even his reveal as a fighter had comedic timing to it

Imagine if you just lost all your most requested characters (as this guys did) to a character archetype you hate most of all

I understand people's salt, even if I dont share it
No one ever loses their character to another one.
That's not how that crap works.
If your character got in, but not as playable, that's because Sakurai wanted to represent them in the next best way possible.

Does it suck? Sure.
But at least appreciate that they're being recognized and included.
And while I'm not saying you have to like every character's inclusion, no one character is at fault for yours not getting in.
There's no slots, there's no bias, there's nothing. It's just how the development process went.

There's still an amazing game, and probably the best iteration as of yet, coming out in a little over a month.
You're probably a Smash fan to begin with, so at the very least enjoy it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Devil’s Advocate here...
Most of the JRPG protags we have easily do fit into similar molds - they look like swordsmen who came straight out of a ‘Drawing Anime 101’ class.

Tbh, I’m not a huge fan of JRPGs, so the idea that more than one of our only 5 confirmed DLC characters will also fit that mold is a bit annoying to me. I much prefer grittier Western RPGs - I know I’m one of the few Skyrim nuts around, but I’ve been on a bit of a Fallout kick lately too.

It’d be interesting to get some variety in the DLCs. I’m not Steve’s biggest fan, but I’ll totally admit that Minecraft more than deserves its place.
It's a good thing my anime JRPG pretty boy is a ****ing weirdo monster.
Demi-fiend10.jpg

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Hot take

We'll get a season 2 of DLC.

with or without Sakurai
This guy is Sakurai's successor.
check it.png

He ends up making another story mode where everyone dies a really sad death and nobody lives, and kirby becomes cannibalistic and everyone becomes self aware of how dark their stories really are.

Also, he decides to cancel DLC because he didn't want to get out of bed one morning.

i'm kidding, he wouldn't do this. i mean, he'd make things a bit more story based and he wouldn't be afraid to have characters be slightly sexual, and have characters acknowledge that kirby is a man-eating thing, but he'd do a good job.
plus, he's getting pretty old too.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the "X got in so Y can't" argument. It's so black and white. The reality is so, so grey.

1) It doesn't make business sense. If you want to sell as many units as possible, making something the majority of people will want to get is always best because you never know what someone's tipping point is. If the devs can include someone heavily requested into the roster, they will. Ultimate is obviously a game of passion, but, at the end of the day, the dev team and the marketing team have to work together here.

2) It's extremely possible that they couldn't make a character work in a unique, fun way. PP is 100% unique: no one expected it and, from the promotional video, it looks hella silly and fun. While not everyone's cup-o'-tea, look at that dude. Just look at him. 99% of the reaction videos I watched for him were basically, "Oh, PP. Must be an enemy. Wait... WHAT?! There's no way... WHAT!?" And it's not like there was lack of reference material. There are, what? 30 different kinds of Piranha Plant? That is what sets it apart from other generics, like Shy Guys, Slime, Goombas, Koopas, etc. And, unlike all of them, IT'S A POTTED PLANT. It's a **** ton more unique then an anthropomorphic, bipedal character, which is the class that nearly the entire roster fits into.

3) It's not as simple as just developing the character and putting it into the game. Remember when Snake was shown for the first time? Everyone was shocked because, back then, we remembered the ****-ton of red tape that goes into being able to include them. Licenses, rights, demands from the parent company, deal negotiations, potential market analysis. And, even after all that, the character still needs to work in a unique, fun way. It's extremely possible that major requests simply didn't make it through the massive, long process of going from concept to reality. AND EVEN THEN, it still needs to work in the game, else it gets scrapped.

A lot of you mother****ers seem to think there is some sort of alchemy **** going on. No. Just stop. Be salty all you want. Just make sure the salt is in the bounds of reality. Your character didn't potentially lose a spot to another character. The FULL, COMPLETE DEVELOPMENT TIME, INCLUDING THE RED TAPE, didn't go to another character over yours without cause. 100,297.65% sure that characters from the ballot, that did not make it in thus far, likely wouldn't of made it past the parent company negotiations (HELLO SQUARE). That's what DLC development periods are for.

Which brings me to a far simpler, straightforward point: After we had thousands of pages of Grinch Leak discussions (which I was part of team real, mind you), there are people here who are speculating that all DLC was pre-planned already. This is after the devs said it wasn't planned. Like, really? The one thing we should of learned by now is that the devs likely aren't lying to lie. Licensing and **** from #3 takes a lot of time. That's why we have a support date up to 2020.

Finally, I've submitted Sodium Chloride to the FDA for review as a mind-altering substance. Wish me luck.

D

Deleted member

Alright. I dug in. I pre-ordered my first game(-ish, if you count Torna, it'd be the second, I guess). I HAD TO. I wanna have peace of mind and get ready for midnight, so I BOUGHT SMASH ULTIMATE.
When I saw it available for purchase, I couldn't help it. My hype levels now after the Direct are back to where they were.

Thanks to Starbound Starbound for clearing it up!

I'm ready.

scott throws a wiimote.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom