• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Character negativity is just something that really gets to me. It sucks to have something you love and then go online to talk about said thing only to find people trash talking it left and right. Maybe I'm being a bit overemotional myself, but it's super grating.

In Smash 4's speculation cycle, I wanted both Mewtwo and Lucario to come back, yet whenever I went online those two fanbases were always at eachothers throats. I've always found the idea of Ridley cool but unlikely, but sometimes even the mention of his name would often devolve into a flame war. I play a lot of Fire Emblem and loved Kid Icarus Uprising so when Dark Pit and Lucina were confirmed I was excited for real, but online there was nothing but nonstop complaints and scapegoating about clones and Sakubias. When Corrin's Dragon Fang for the first time I immediately thought about what a cool fighter they could be, only to see that pipe dream happen and get met with immediate and horrible backlash.

In Ultimate I see history repeating itself and it's exhausting for me. On top of people still whining about Corrin and Dark Pit after all this time, now there's Piranha Plant who I'm genuinely super excited for. If someone doesn't care too much for a particular character pick it doesn't bug me at all, but I just can't help but feel annoyed by people who seem to be overreacting or taking things too personally.

It's why I tend to white knight character inclusions. I don't don't care about Isabelle, I don't care about Cloud or Ryu, and I don't care about Bayonetta. But all of those characters have a lot of fans and I would much rather spend my energy somewhere positive then whining and moaning that the Smash Roster isn't catering to me in particular. Who am I to bring them down? There's already more then enough characters in the roster who appeal to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No here's the thing, I think at this point in time, Vergeben is only continuing to leak because he knows the community hates leaks and wants to piss them off because he hates them.
Probably makes sense.

But then again, no sane person should go to Gamefaqs' forums nowadays, let alone to leak things. Dude is just going to bust a vein from anger at this rate.

Doesn't she have ice powers or something? I'd imagine the reaction would just be "why does Fire Emblem have ice powers?"
Fire Emblem is a cool girl, she fights Nintendo and isn't afraid of anything.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If smash really does go downhill like I think it will then I am so incredibly relieved that we got Ridley and K Rool first. I really don't need much more than that. Maybe Geno will be dlc and I can just get that.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
I'm stubborn too. I don't want Steve as a character. I'd never play him. I have absolutely no emotional attachment to Minecraft and his weird, stiff animations would be jarring to watch, let alone play against.

I'm just a realist and I have a hard time convincing myself Steve isn't in on the basis of "I don't want him." So I'm bracing for it and not buying the season pass. It would actually be a dollar cheaper if I bought all four characters that aren't Steve.
Well for me, they act alot like the mii swordsman. (I might sound dumb for going into minecraft pvp but) Fighting consists of swords, fishing poles, axes, bows, lava buckets, and potions. He could use potions, but I think that's covered by characters like Simon with holy water. Fishing pole I go to isabelle immediately. Please stop giving me swordsmen too. Plus people love making minecraft skins and alot of minecraft is open world, make-it-your-own. My thing is that it is both already done better by another character, and too faceless of a character. I can see him being added, but I want a character who isn't so vacant in my eyes. Just me I guess.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thanks for that. I plan on doing just that. I'll thoroughly enjoy the base roster and skip the dlc. It just sucks because I was really looking forward to the dlc. Plus it makes me pessimistic about smash in the future. I appreciate you being nice about it.
You know chances are some of, if not most of the DLC will align with peoples' more established views about Smash. Unless what you're offering is free, it does need to have some pedigree behind it to be an optimal choice for standalone content.

And I say that knowing full well that last time we all collectively did a **** job at predicting the DLC.

Last edited:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
The thing we all really need to remember regarding Minecraft/Steve:

It is the second-highest selling game of all time, behind only Tetris, which had a 25 year head start. Microsoft bought it for a higher price than Disney bought Star Wars.

Every suit in Nintendo, Bandai and Microsoft would want this to happen.
Yep, this is exactly why I'm 99% sure he's in. Steve is the only choice for a Microsoft DLC Fighter. Baring some extremely unlikely scenarios such as getting Microsoft getting two DLC slots, a separate DLC Assist Trophy for Steve; or wanting to promote an N64 mini with the Banjo Kazooie games on them; since they would get a cut of the revenue from that due to licensing and stuff. Steve is the only choice. And honestly, he deserves a spot Minecraft is a huge game and it's pretty good as well.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A reminder:

Now that Piranha Plant apparently isn't getting a stage, we have one, glaring issue:

View attachment 175177
That can ultimately come down to the number of stages they were able to create. If the final number is 108, then you need 109 blocks (including the random icon) and there's no possible way to put those in an even square of blocks. This is the closest you can get.

Personally, my OCD would force me to work overtime and port one more N64 stage or something, but it's fully possible that this was simply the best format to display all of the stages. One block left open.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What are you most excited for in ultimate?

What character are you the most interested in?

What stage are you the most excited to play on?
1. Squirtle returning. I miss my Trainer Team so much. Best thing ever.
I’m also really interested in seeing more of Spirits mode. I loved that Zelda was back in the trailer - I’m not a fan of super princess-y Zelda (we have Peach for that) so seeing Zelda as a badass in the trailer was beyond cool.

2. I’m forever a Link main with Zelda as my #2, but it’ll be tough now that Squirtle and co are back. Plus Ridley and K. Rool, Daisy, Ike, Robin, Mewtwo, DHD, etc...

3. The glorious return of Fountain of Dreams and Great Bay! Plus Gerudo Valley in HD! And Great Plateau with glorious BOTW music.

Shroob

Sup?
I thought Piranha Plant was getting a stage?
They edited the article this morning to remove any references to it.

So either they leaked it, or it's not.

I'm inclined to think it's not now since the free code mentions nothing of a stage, and I can't imagine that they'd sell PPplant separate from its stage.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I think maybe another solo character dlc deal between the seasons will be nice to get another crazy character in...

Who wants to start a Koopa Troopa for Smash DLC thing? Anyone? Just me?....

I am so alone..

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know what, if PushDustIn is saying it, it gives me some hope.
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1058499761341267968
You know chances are some of, if not most of the DLC will align with peoples' more established views about Smash. Unless what you're offering is free, it does need to have some pedigree behind it to be an optimal choice for standalone content.

And I say that knowing full well that last time we all collectively did a **** job at predicting the DLC.
You guys are giving me hope. And thank God for PushDustIn PushDustIn . It's to early to give up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it's likelier the PP stage thing is a mistake than them not showing the stage and the entire stage page being thrown off by one stage too many.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Let's play a game...
These guys don't really have standard names... They just go by their species names or job description
Give them actual names them will ya?
:ultduckhunt:Hunter (The Dog) and Donny (The Duck)
:ultpiranha:Planty (the Potted Plant)
:ultvillager:Virgil
:ultwiifittrainer:Willow Fitzgerald
Can't think of anything for the Pokemon or Inkling

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Really? Any footage of it? Did I just miss it during that tourney going on now?
It happened a couple of matches ago in the tourney.

It's actually similar to Greninja's Final Smash (in Smash 4), except he slashes you to the side afterwards instead of downward.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Watching this Japanese Smash event and Meta Knight has a new FS.

D

Deleted member

If it's physical, you need to register it with My Nintendo, which you can do on the Switch...
I got it digitally. Honestly, it's mainly because some of my games physically recently have been close to being stolen, so while I'd LOVE the boxart, I'm gonna have to make this one exception.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I think maybe another solo character dlc deal between the seasons will be nice to get another crazy character in...

Who wants to start a Koopa Troopa for Smash DLC thing? Anyone? Just me?....

I am so alone..
I would love Koopa Troopa for smash, honestly would have loved them over PP as the crazy retro pick.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
So we've all seen what certain characters would do in their last moments before being devoured in the light and it's a really great show of personality.

So I've been thinking:
If your most wanted character/main was in that scene, what would they do in their last moments when put in that situation, and how would they inevitably bite the dust?
Mario would get in front of Peach and take the hit first, not realizing it would blow right through him.
Geno's spirit would actually leave the doll, but the lights would disintegrate both the spirit and the doll.
R.O.B. would simply stand and take it, because he knows he's the last of his kind. He's known for years Master Hand would come back for him.
Donkey Kong would look frantically for Diddy, not realizing he'd already fired up the Rocketbarrel pack.
Ness' last thought would be of Paula, Mom, King and Steak. He would stand tall and attempt to PSI Magnet it.
Meta Knight would try to slip into his Dimensional Cape. He'd actually succeed, but the massive galaxy-wide explosion would reach him anyway.
Game & Watch wouldn't realize what was going on. He's made of Shadow Bugs according to Subspace canon, and can't tell good or evil.
Pichu and Jigglypuff would cower together in fear.
It would just bounce right off of Shrek, because nothing can kill him.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Shroob

Sup?
I don't get the "X got in so Y can't" argument. It's so black and white. The reality is so, so grey.

1) It doesn't make business sense. If you want to sell as many units as possible, making something the majority of people will want to get is always best because you never know what someone's tipping point is. If the devs can include someone heavily requested into the roster, they will. Ultimate is obviously a game of passion, but, at the end of the day, the dev team and the marketing team have to work together here.

2) It's extremely possible that they couldn't make a character work in a unique, fun way. PP is 100% unique: no one expected it and, from the promotional video, it looks hella silly and fun. While not everyone's cup-o'-tea, look at that dude. Just look at him. 99% of the reaction videos I watched for him were basically, "Oh, PP. Must be an enemy. Wait... WHAT?! There's no way... WHAT!?" And it's not like there was lack of reference material. There are, what? 30 different kinds of Piranha Plant? That is what sets it apart from other generics, like Shy Guys, Slime, Goombas, Koopas, etc. And, unlike all of them, IT'S A POTTED PLANT. It's a **** ton more unique then an anthropomorphic, bipedal character, which is the class that nearly the entire roster fits into.

3) It's not as simple as just developing the character and putting it into the game. Remember when Snake was shown for the first time? Everyone was shocked because, back then, we remembered the ****-ton of red tape that goes into being able to include them. Licenses, rights, demands from the parent company, deal negotiations, potential market analysis. And, even after all that, the character still needs to work in a unique, fun way. It's extremely possible that major requests simply didn't make it through the massive, long process of going from concept to reality. AND EVEN THEN, it still needs to work in the game, else it gets scrapped.

A lot of you mother****ers seem to think there is some sort of alchemy **** going on. No. Just stop. Be salty all you want. Just make sure the salt is in the bounds of reality. Your character didn't potentially lose a spot to another character. The FULL, COMPLETE DEVELOPMENT TIME, INCLUDING THE RED TAPE, didn't go to another character over yours without cause. 100,297.65% sure that characters from the ballot, that did not make it in thus far, likely wouldn't of made it past the parent company negotiations (HELLO SQUARE). That's what DLC development periods are for.

Which brings me to a far simpler, straightforward point: After we had thousands of pages of Grinch Leak discussions (which I was part of team real, mind you), there are people here who are speculating that all DLC was pre-planned already. This is after the devs said it wasn't planned. Like, really? The one thing we should of learned by now is that the devs likely aren't lying to lie. Licensing and **** from #3 takes a lot of time. That's why we have a support date up to 2020.

Finally, I've submitted Sodium Chloride to the FDA for review as a mind-altering substance. Wish me luck.
TO BE FAIR:

There are over 100 different types of Slime in Dragon Quest. Making a moveset for Slime based around Rocket Slime and around the countless other species is even easier than PPlant.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...t-re-link-details-revealed-december/#/slide/1

Okay, while the Granblue spin-off won't be out in December, there will be more details about it soon enough. That's telling enough, given what we recently heard

Since Platinum works on the game, I have to wonder if Kamiya begged Sakurai to include Katalina (since, y'know :ultbayonetta:).

The thing we all really need to remember regarding Minecraft/Steve:

It is the second-highest selling game of all time, behind only Tetris, which had a 25 year head start. Microsoft bought it for a higher price than Disney bought Star Wars.

Every suit in Nintendo, Bandai and Microsoft would want this to happen.
I can understand that. If one wants to introduce Western third-parties into Smash, why not use the biggest one possible and work your way down from there?

I got it digitally. Honestly, it's mainly because some of my games physically recently have been close to being stolen, so while I'd LOVE the boxart, I'm gonna have to make this one exception.
Jeez, what happened? :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom