• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Arrogance like that is one of the reasons I want his leaks to crash and burn.
Don't get it twisted, I think most people dislike Vergeben, I know I do.

But the man has yet to 'be' wrong about Smash, and he only has 2 points of contention left, one apparently getting revealed next month.

Don't take that guy's word to speak to everyone discussing the leak, he's overdramatic as ****.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Smash is on a very dangerous path right now. I've never been mad at a reveal before. Disappointed, sure. But every character so far has been a worthy inclusion in some way, and for many people a dream come true. Until piranha plant. Being a smash bros character means nothing now. There's no requirement. There's no status needed. Smash characters can just be whatever now and it doesn't matter. Pirahna plant is a blemish on the roster and I would rather get no freebie than have this character. It legitimately ruins the roster somewhat for me. Now we may be getting a third party mobile game character. What a truly ****ty idea. It's basically the equivalent of getting a clash of clans character. And steve. I have nothing against minecraft. I like minecraft. But steve is just a knockoff lego man with practically no animations. Another garbage character. And the square nix character may just be ****ing slime. Generic enemy number 2. This is a ****ing ****show if it's true. It doesn't mean anything now. This may be my last smash game. I love the whole base roster. I think I'll keep it untarnished by avoiding the dlc and then stay away from smash in the future if Verg is right. It makes me incredibly sad because smash has always been one of my favorite series. But if this is the kind of content we have to look forward to then I'm out.

D

Deleted member

All we need for Online play is an agreed set of rules so people around here and other Smash forums can find each other easily. It's a shame we can't select both Battlefield and Omega forms but oh well. Battlefield should probably be prioritized though, I'm sure everyone here has grown tired of Omega forms.
Oooh do tell. Her franchise gets more money than God-****ing-zilla
"Who?"
"Animu swordsman"
"There are bigger third parties"
"Something something character i like is more important"
"No one has ever heard of her"
"Isn't she from that anime"
"More fire emblem?"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ben Shapiro would engage in a debate in the free market of ideals, only for the so called tolerat left lasers to kill him

Goku was already dead prior to this.

Danny Devito threw some trash and then died

Thanos is behind all of this

Joker tried to block with his mara
smh
Joker should know that light beams from angelic beings are always almighty attacks and Mara's makarakarn can't protect him from that.

Where's Futaba's getaway when you need her?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Arrogance like that is one of the reasons I want his leaks to crash and burn.
If pettiness/arrogance is what prevented people/me from believing in leaks I probably wouldn't even believe in Verg in the first place lmao

He can be an ass, his followers can be asses, and most leakers can be boiled down to be attention whores

but I'm not going to doubt their credibility because of it

D

Deleted member

I think a lot of the complaints come from people that just don't understand how it works.

We have lobbies that will match you to the closest possible ruleset. This is amazing for two reasons:

1. Whatever you feel like playing, there will no doubt be someone with the exact (if not close to exact) rules you are using.

2. WE ARE NOT STUCK TO JUST 2 STOCKS TIMED IN ONLINE FOR SERIOUS MATCHES. This is HUGE. Should we feel that the games are quick enough for 3 stocks or 4 we can easily change that for online.

We even have a sorta ELO system in the form of Global Smash Power. It isn't perfect, and far from ideal, but it seems like it would do a decent enough job at matching people up according to skill level.

The Elite Smash mode or whatever is also a good thing, as they will be balancing the game according to results from only the top tier of players. This ensures the problem characters actually get looked at properly.

The only concern is connections, as you mentioned.
The way connections work is the only thing that's got me worried. I'm also confused about the rule-set based match making. I was upset by the idea because I thought that there was the potential for the game to throw you into rulesets you don't want if it can't find someone using your exact ruleset. Is this not how it works?

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I wonder how they're going to handle this with six more characters on it. I hope it doesn't end up weird and kinda ugly like Smash 4's final CSS.

Easiest thing to do would probably be to put the Miis in the middle of the seventh row when all DLC is added.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash is on a very dangerous path right now. I've never been mad at a reveal before. Disappointed, sure. But every character so far has been a worthy inclusion in some way, and for many people a dream come true. Until piranha plant. Being a smash bros character means nothing now. There's no requirement. There's no status needed. Smash characters can just be whatever now and it doesn't matter. Pirahna plant is a blemish on the roster and I would rather get no freebie than have this character. It legitimately ruins the roster somewhat for me. Now we may be getting a third party mobile game character. What a truly ****ty idea. It's basically the equivalent of getting a clash of clans character. And steve. I have nothing against minecraft. I like minecraft. But steve is just a knockoff lego man with practically no animations. Another garbage character. And the square nix character may just be ****ing slime. Generic enemy number 2. This is a ****ing ****show if it's true. It doesn't mean anything now. This may be my last smash game. I love the whole base roster. I think I'll keep it untarnished by avoiding the dlc and then stay away from smash in the future if Verg is right. It makes me incredibly sad because smash has always been one of my favorite series. But if this is the kind of content we have to look forward to then I'm out.
Okay, bye I guess

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So we've all seen what certain characters would do in their last moments before being devoured in the light and it's a really great show of personality.

So I've been thinking:
If your most wanted character was in that scene, what would they do in their last moments when put in that situation, and how would they inevitably bite the dust?
Ooh, fun...

Dovahkiin: would be shown unleashing a fully charged FUS RO DAH and blowing away two beams in front of him. Winded, he tries to get his breath back and is hit from behind.

Tails: Takes off and flies away, but turns around to grab Pichu. The light hits Tails as he’s flying off, and Pichu ends up in free fall screaming until the light takes him before he hits the ground.
Show of hands, how many people will miss All-Star Mode?
Me.

I’d much rather spend an hour per character having legit fights than taking everyone out with two hits. Honestly.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The way connections work is the only thing that's got me worried. I'm also confused about the rule-set based match making. I was upset by the idea because I thought that there was the potential for the game to throw you into rulesets you don't want if it can't find someone using your exact ruleset. Is this not how it works?
It does, but that becomes increasingly unlikely as you live in more populated areas.

Unfortunately, that still opens up the possibility for it technically occurring and there's not much you can do in that case. Not even Suicide to end the match earlier, because then you'd be punished, lol.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Did the guy who said Steve and Katalina say that the SE rep was specifically from Dragon Quest or is that coming from a different source?
He said it's not Geno or Slime. It's probably Sora, that's who some other insiders have been hinting at.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
This isn't a real post right?

This has gotta be a copy pasta because you can't expect me to reasonably believe that someone would actually have this opinion.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So we're basically getting Steve, Katalina, and an Square Enix character? Guess it's Dragon Quest or Geno at this point

But we're basically left with 2 different characters to announce

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Honestly when it comes to DLC as much as I hate to say it and as much as I really really want them, Banjo-Kazooie has basically no chance at this point. It was base game or nothing. This has nothing to do with some leak it's just simple business. BK would make a ton of money as DLC, but Steve and Minecraft love it or hate it, would bring in an absolute Metric ton of money. Way more then Banjo could ever hope to do. No company is going to pass up the chance to make more money like that.

Unless somehow some way Microsoft gets two DLC reps or Steve is a DLC AT for some reason there is almost no chance he isn't one of the DLC fighters over Banjo Kazooie. I mean I really hate to say but I don't want to keep lying to myself about this.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
That Katalina thing could be the worst choice, even worse than Pichu hurting himself.
Hope that this Verge info come wrong, the piranha plant reveal will look as a tea party if it's true.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Pretty sure Piranha Plant was just Sakurai having some fun. Nothing to take too seriously.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Ohhh, thank God
I've finally found someone who makes bait on the level of my posts, except he actually means it
I honestly thought they didn't exist.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Also I see a lot of misinformation about what Vergeben has ACTUALLY leaked himself so here:

Vergeben Leaks:
- Minecraft Content in some way.
- Square Character for DLC, possibly the first announced. He has a list of potential names but he's afraid to share them as Square takes leaks very seriously and even just dropping some of these names could get people fired should they see them.

Hitagi Leaks (Vergeben has endorsed this guy as having legitimate info):
- Steve is a full character
- Serious talks with Cygames over a potential Granblue character.

The "Vergeben said a Dragon Quest character" comes from a post where he talked about Leakypandy's "VGA reveal" post, where they hinted that it'd be Dragon Quest. He never specifically said Dragon Quest himself, as once again that goes against what he said earlier in regards to protecting people's jobs.

Important to note that Vergeben has talked with Hitagi and compared info and has said he does seem to be in the know. Therefore Vergeben trusts Hitagi. Vergeben has stated once again that he himself has not heard of any Granblue character from his sources, and has only heard "murmurs about a playable Steve".

Shroob

Sup?
I'm sorry ya'll...

But I know nothing about Sora and I know he'd be ****ing hype, and even if it's NOT Sora, Slime would make Japan collectively NUTT.

I fail to see how 5(6) OPTIONAL characters "Ruin the game" as soo many Madonnas put it.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
This isn't a real post right?

This has gotta be a copy pasta because you can't expect me to reasonably believe that someone would actually have this opinion.
For context keep in mind he's been outspoken in how much he hates joke characters

And PP can def be constituted as a joke character, even his reveal as a fighter had comedic timing to it

Imagine if you just lost all your most requested characters (as this guys did) to a character archetype you hate most of all

I understand people's salt, even if I dont share it

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Honestly, it takes a lot for me to hate a character inclusion.
If I'm not a fan of an inclusion, I'm much more of a "dead on the inside" type of guy.
And my anger isn't usually about what character got in, it's about the circumstance of their inclusion (cough "promotion characters")

I recognize mobile gaming's a hugely influential part of Japan and already has taken the Western world by storm, so a gacha character, while it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, would be understandable, if not disappointing.
I feel the same. I got over my indifference of the Plant in minutes, but the one two punch of :ultcorrin: and :ultbayonetta: was probably the worst it was for me. I'm still not even slightly enthused over seeing :ultcorrin: in.. anything really.

I can find positives in :ultbayonetta: because I like her and her games, but I've never felt as low on a character as much as I have for :ultcorrin: when he was vealed for his own game and further in Smash. My apologies to all who take offense to that, but I just can't vibe with :ultcorrin:.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Idc, I'd download a Granblue character. They look fine. Downloaded Bayonetta, not like she was in the same league as the others either.

I also can't imagine a plausible SE character I wouldn't hop on. DQ? Cool. Crono? Sweet. Sora? Awesome.
I guess I wouldn't be super psyched about Lara Croft, just because her moveset doesn't seem like it'd be as exciting as some other options, but it wouldn't be the end of the world, and I don't expect her anyway.

Minecraft is a hard pass though. :p
That said, if it were just a stage, I'd probably scoop it up too. I just can't with Steve. LOOK AT HIM

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Robin and Corrin are avatars, but not Roy.
Even then, they're only avatars in name.
They've still got their own personality and story actions.
Hell, most spinoff games even make it so that they're canonically a certain appearance too.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You placed too much importance on something that didn't matter since Melee.

Ice Climbers, Roy, and Pichu would never make a "Nintendo All-Star" version of the roster for any reason but...they were!

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'm sorry ya'll...

But I know nothing about Sora and I know he'd be ****ing hype, and even if it's NOT Sora, Slime would make Japan collectively NUTT.

I fail to see how 5(6) OPTIONAL characters "Ruin the game" as soo many Madonnas put it.
It's not about who gets in, it never was

It's about who doesn't get in

I find it ridiculous we got like 4 FE reps in the same game (while series like LOZ got jack), including DLC, so it'd be hypocritical of me to say I don't understand where they're coming from

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Also I see a lot of misinformation about what Vergeben has ACTUALLY leaked himself so here:

Vergeben Leaks:
- Minecraft Content in some way.
- Square Character for DLC, possibly the first announced. He has a list of potential names but he's afraid to share them as Square takes leaks very seriously and even just dropping some of these names could get people fired should they see them.

Hitagi Leaks (Vergeben has endorsed this guy as having legitimate info):
- Steve is a full character
- Serious talks with Cygames over a potential Granblue character.

The "Vergeben said a Dragon Quest character" comes from a post where he talked about Leakypandy's "VGA reveal" post, where they hinted that it'd be Dragon Quest. He never specifically said Dragon Quest himself, as once again that goes against what he said earlier in regards to protecting people's jobs.

Important to note that Vergeben has talked with Hitagi and compared info and has said he does seem to be in the know. Therefore Vergeben trusts Hitagi. Vergeben has stated once again that he himself has not heard of any Granblue character from his sources, and has only heard "murmurs about a playable Steve".
If Vergeben says Hitagi is reliable, that's the same as him saying he's right.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly when it comes to DLC as much as I hate to say it and as much as I really really want them Banjo-Kazooie has basically no chance at this point. It was base game or nothing. This has nothing to do with some leak it's just simple business. BK would make a ton of money as DLC, but Steve and Minecraft love it or hate it, would bring in an absolute Metric ton of money. Way more then Banjo could ever hope to do. No company is going to pass up the chance to make more money like that.

Unless somehow some way Microsoft gets two DLC reps or Steve is a DLC AT for some reason there is almost no chance he isn't one of the DLC fighters over Banjo Kazooie. I mean I really hate to say but I don't want to keep lying to myself about this.
When you think about it, most character picks have at least one game released on current Nintendo hardware. B-K's series, meanwhile, is stuck on Xbone.

Would have been pretty impractical for people wanting to try new games they never heard of, if they're forced to buy another console just to get to them.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
I get that concern, but we still don't really know how it decides on "rulesets closest to yours". It's possible that it has a sort of "tier list" of rules to prioritize over others if no one else is playing with your exact ruleset. I'd imagine stuff like items being on at all would be high up if such a system exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom