• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey... Hey.... Hey.... hey... hey..

Um guys?

what are your mains?
:ultchrom: Chrom's the bomb.

To go further into other characters I enjoy...

:ultmarth: Marth doesn't feel as good as his Smash 4 self, but I still really enjoy playing him. Adjusting to his new jab changes and lack of up throw kill power has been rough, but on the bright side his voice is so much better now.

:ultmario: A lot of Mario's kit transferred over well from 4, though his combo game got nerfed a tad. He's not a borderline top tier like last time, but he's still nifty. His taunt game is a lot better. RIP Fire Mario.

:ultlittlemac: Weirdly enough Little Mac's recovery almost feels worse now, despite Jolt Haymaker no longer putting him into helpless. Still love him though. Ding ding.

:ultgreninja: Greninja feels a lot more natural to me this time around. Maybe it's placebo but I think he's being slept on.

:ultolimar: I loved Olimar in Brawl. I thought they butchered him in 4. Now in Ultimate I'm back to loving him.

Though sadly, one friend didn't make the transition very well...

:ultmewtwo: ...It was with a heavy heart that I totally dropped Mewtwo. They changed so much about him and, in the process, kinda removed what I loved about him. Whatever it is, apparently I'm not alone, as quite a few top Smash 4 Mewtwo players have expressed similar attitudes.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yoshi, Red Yoshi, Blue Yoshi, Cyan Yoshi and Crafted Yoshi

But not Yellow Yoshi, ugh, **** him!!! jk :yoshi:
....XD I wouldn't have expected anything less from you, Zinith.

As for who's my main...I think it's pretty obvious. x3 I finally got my chance to play as Riddles, even if it was temporary, but I FREAKIN' love him to death.

Um guys?

what are your mains?
:ultkrool: and :ultisabelle: are very fun to use, I love their personality, gimmicks and the novelty factor on some of their moves.

Other characters I've been using are :ultdk:, who seems to be much more viable this time around, :ultluigi:,:ultrob: and :ultsnake:.

Just played through Ultimate and enjoyed every second of it. What's this? Is this the VA topic still going? Ok, I'm going to go crazy with it. "breathes deeply"

It seems like the villains barely get any voice lines usually grunts, yells and weird sounds; except for only 1: Wolf

So I decide why not I list some prominent voice actors that could lend their roles well as these characters. That sounds fun.

Clancy Brown(using his Lex Luthor voice) or James Horan(Skullface from MGS V) as Ganondorf
Robert Englund(using his Scarecrow voice from Injustice 2) as Ridley
Charlie Adler(as the Red Guy from Cow and Chicken) as King. K. Rool
Kevin Michael Richardson (His Crunch voice from Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex) as Bowser
Pamela Aldon (Hmm, I dunno, Otto from Time Squad? Who remembers that show?) as Bowser Jr.
Steve Blum (his usual Wolverine voice) as Wolf; sorry VA who played Wolf in Ultimate and Starlink, you're good but you're not Steve Blum
Dana Snyder(Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force) or Tom Kenny(Ice King or Scoutmaster Lumpus from Camp Lazlo) as King Dedede
Corey Burton(His Brainiac voice from Superman: TAS) or Jeffery Combs(Brainiac in Injustice 2) as Mewtwo

I'm actually cringing you guys as I'm writing this...I at least want to be specific.
Good list, chuckled at Adler, he'd be great for K.Rool.

James Earl Jones would also make a decent K. Rool and bring a snobby, booming and blunt vibe with his dulcet tones.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just completed the spirit battle for the character trio for Marvelous (Dion, Max, and Jack), and I am very impressed about some of the details thrown into these spirit battles. The background music that plays for this particular spirit battle is "Village of the Blue Maiden". The game that this track comes from is The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

This is actually a very impressive cryptic easter egg considering that Four Swords Adventures was originally supposed to be a follow up to Marvelous, and there is actually still leftover Marvelous content in Four Swords Adventures's internal files:
https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords_Adventures

Noipoi

Howdy!
....XD I wouldn't have expected anything less from you, Zinith.

As for who's my main...I think it's pretty obvious. x3 I finally got my chance to play as Riddles, even if it was temporary, but I FREAKIN' love him to death.
Give me your address. I'll give you the game right now.

Nah I can't do that. Wish I could though :)

SC United is damn insane. Salem's Link is smooth.
Agreed, seems like he did a lot... of.. resear- ah nevermind... :p

It was cool to see Hbox performing well too, i'm glad to see a player make the jump from Melee to Ultimate and have success.

He wrecked this Bowser main (Mr Riddle):

I love the commentator's words of wisdom ''if you sleep on Jigglypuff, she's gonna sleep on you'' (i'm paraphrasing)

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Give me your address. I'll give you the game right now.

Nah I can't do that. Wish I could though :)
:sadeyes: Awww, that's so sweet of you, Noi! :3 I really appreciate it! Hehe, one day I will be able to get it and play with all of you. xD And probably trigger Ridley's Asserting Dominance taunt at the most inconvinient of moments, making hilariously awkward like it happened when I was playing yesterday.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
:ultmewtwo: ...It was with a heavy heart that I totally dropped Mewtwo. They changed so much about him and, in the process, kinda removed what I loved about him. Whatever it is, apparently I'm not alone, as quite a few top Smash 4 Mewtwo players have expressed similar attitudes
What's up with Mewtwo? He felt insane when I played against him.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Um guys?

what are your mains?
:ultridley:: He was my most wanted characters for years so I already had plans to play him, but in the end his moveset ended up clicking with me. His moveset manages to cover all of the things I look for, it's good for spacing, it has good aggressive options, and he does feel satisfying to play whenever he lands one of his strong options on the opponent. The only thing I have against him is that the Up-B recovery can be hard to play around with, but I've been experimenting with different options to see what I can do to mitigate it.

:ultkrool:: My second most wanted character, he doesn't really click with me as much as Ridley as he's slower in his options so I can't be as aggressive, but he's still satisfying for me to play since his superarmor allows me to strongarm my attacks through the opponents. I also like how powerful some of his moves feel when they land, as things like Bair going off on the opponent just gives you a sense of satisfaction as they go plummeting. Probably my current favorite of the Super Heavyweights as it is.

:ultwolf:: Was my old Brawl favorite and he still works for me, though I will admit that I have to practice more with him since I haven't fully adjusted to his changes.

:ultsamus:/:ultdarksamus:: Another continued favorite from past Smash games, it took a while for me to get back into her, but once I did I feel she's a lot better to play as in this game. Dark Samus also helps since I liked her in the Prime games and being able to play as her here is a treat.

:ultmarth:/:ultlucina:: Similar to Ridley I appreciate being able to play around with spacing so these two have been working out well for me. There are some adjustments that I had to make for them like I did Wolf and Samus, but they clicked faster with me so I still feel comfortable with them.

I'm also playing around with :ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultpokemontrainer::ultrichter::ulttoonlink:, though none of them have clicked with me as much as the above.

D

Deleted member

Agreed, seems like he did a lot... of.. resear- ah nevermind... :p

It was cool to see Hbox performing well too, i'm glad to see a player make the jump from Melee to Ultimate and have success.

He wrecked this Bowser main (Mr Riddle):

I love the commentator's words of wisdom ''if you sleep on Jigglypuff, she's gonna sleep on you'' (i'm paraphrasing)
Look like I have a long road ahead of me before Im good at ultimate lol. Best I can do is a few Inkling spikes.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Um guys?

what are your mains?
:ultyoshi: is easily the one I'm best with but annoyingly I have a higher score in Classic mode with :ultdk: without even really trying. Diddy Kong as a partner really makes that particular run a lot easier.

Outside Yoshi, I'm also getting decent with :ultpeach:, :ultzelda:, :ultisabelle: and surprisingly for the first time ever I don't completely suck with :ultwario:. A LOT OF YELLOW.

Oh and also :ultmario: and :ultchrom:. I want to get good with :ultluigi: again but it's not really happening for me at current.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Um guys?

what are your mains?
This game?

Well, there's really only one character who could get me to drop :ultlink: to secondary, even if he did betray me and go righty.

Secondaries are the new and amazingly improved :ultzelda: and :ultganondorf:. Ganon in particular this game feels incredible to play.

I'm also really excited about :ultpokemontrainer:, but :ultsquirtle: hogs pretty well all of the playtime. I originally was excited to have the transformations back, but after thought on it, I feel like :ultivysaur: and :ultcharizard: may have gotten more playtime if they were separate. Still is fun to have them all back though.
Also, where are the individual icons?

I still think :ultike: feels great to play. And :ultkrool::ultridley: are way too much fun, especially their respective specials. Of course, I get in a lot of :ultyounglink: as well.

Characters I'm not good at but like regardless and wish I were better: :ultsonic::ultfox::ultmewtwo:

And I'll round it all off by also saying that it's fun to play :ultrobin::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultlucario::ultsimon: as well

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Everyone moving so fast and getting out of their sticky situations with the new air dodge is making my life as a :ultmarth: main way harder.
I can't really see the tippers being as useful anymore considering :ultlucina:'s way more consistent than the tippers now.
Uuuuuugh, they also neutered my kill setups. RIP jab->FSmash

Well, landing a tipper still makes the dopamine in my brain flow, so I guess I'll be sticking with him.

I appreciate the :ultike: buffs, but he's become a bit of a one-trick pony I've got to say.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Um guys?

what are your mains?
I got :ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ulttoonlink: as subs, :ultlink::ultmario::ultpalutena::4corrinf:for fun (though the anime ones might upgrade to subs...likely not but eh) and :ultinkling::ultsonic: as my backup mains....I call them backup mains because my real main is the heroic and illiterate
00C9FD3E-F91F-4843-AF71-A5761F99384C.jpeg

I mean...like...
E9EF53F1-F47D-4AA0-BDAF-D8525468D462.jpeg
57B11978-48EB-447B-86A7-18474E1120C2.jpeg
B1B393E5-CD41-48D0-AA3C-3CF644D09CA7.jpeg
How could you not love this man and still have a heart or a soul?
:ultchrom: Chrom's the bomb.
stop right there...we already have a perfect chant/slogan for Chrom

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Um guys?

what are your mains?
:ultbayonetta:: Sticking to the character I voted for, even with all the nerfs.

:ultkirby:: Played him instead of Bayonetta for faster kill options and good framedata.

:ultlucina:: I was a Marth main before, but the faster pace of the game and some of the nerf to Marth's kill combos (Jab > anything) made me play Lucina for her consist kill power more.

:ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf:: Playing these two as a side character I like to play.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What's up with Mewtwo? He felt insane when I played against him.
Most people still agree that he's a strong character, but he feels pretty different in this game. Air dodge changes are a pretty big deal for him - I used to love playing mindgames with them or approaching with air dodge into cross up nair, but he can't do stuff like that anymore. Confusion works better as a grab now but on the flip side it can't be used like an extra jump.

I personally think he's just a bit less fun.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say guys, if there is a Direct on the tenth of this month, like the leaks said, what do you think are the odds of the second Fighter Pass DLC character after Joker being revealed there?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Say guys, if there is a Direct on the tenth of this month, like the leaks said, what do you think are the odds of the second Fighter Pass DLC character after Joker being revealed there?
Bro, we aren't even done with the first DLC pack.
Zero.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
OH,
Perhaps... 50/50?
With a DQ11S trailer?
I'd say 50/50 is a good guess.

By the way (not directed towards you, Idon, but everyone), my GSP with K. Rool is now over 20000,

Wait a minute, that's not right! Stupid keyboard! *fixes keyboard* I meant it is over 2000000, or 2 million now.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Um guys?

what are your mains?
I'll keep it short and boring. In no particular order...
:ultike: - Been my Main since Brawl. Never dropped ever, and never will.
:ultmegaman: - Childhood hero. I wish his options were more consistent, but I'm too loyal to drop him.
:ultzelda: - Childhood crush? I grew up with the NES and SNES, and I used to play Alttp every day. I picked up Zelda in SSB WiiU/3DS and stuck with her since.

Secondaries:
:ultpalutena: - Just a lot of fun to use, though I do miss her jab->down grab set ups.
:ultlucina: - My favorite of the quick-moving Fire Emblem characters. Sucks about the jab thing as explained in Palutena's entry.
:ultness: - Another Main I had since Brawl. They made him scary in 4 and he's just as obnoxious to fight against. I love the shout-out to his home game effects in his move-set.

Tertiaries:
:ultvillager: - It's fun jumping into arenas and starting **** with Villager, lmao.
:ultisabelle: - Even funnier hopping in a match with characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, Dark Samus, Wolf, K.Rool, Ridley, and winning.
:ultshulk: - I like the new changes with him. I'd like to learn how to use him more since his nair is pretty scary now. I also only ever ran into so few Shulks, so I may as well learn him myself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I appreciate the :ultike: buffs, but he's become a bit of a one-trick pony I've got to say.
1518386893865.jpg

Or maybe you should just be like me and always land those hard reads. though i can barely combo, i dont know if thats the joycons or me being slow

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aaaaand :ultike: has taken his first major.
It feels SO good, man.

Now, time for the inevitable nerfs to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom