• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My favorite alt is the May one for Pokemon trainer, I know we don't really pay attention to the trainer but seeing Red and Leaf have the colors for the other Pokemon trainers was pretty cool and May is my favorite Pokemon character.

D

Deleted member

My mains are pretty much my two Smash 4 mains + Ridley so: :ultganondorf::ultshulk::ultridley:
Other characters I know how to use somewhat and enjoy playing as: :ultzelda::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultdarksamus::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultincineroar:
I dunnk how to use them yet but holy **** do I want to: :ultike::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultmetaknight::ultpichu::ultrobin:

It's being really hard for me tbh.
why the absolute **** does chad ike not have a purple alt i feel so conflicted whenever i open up his alts cause idk if i should go with hot bulging muscles chad ike or dumb anime pretty boy but his clothes are better ike fuuuuck
Always go for bisexual Ike. Always.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Wedding Mario is a must, normal Wario clothes are required.
I still feel rather pluzzled why they didn't keep the Fire Mario Alt instead of giving him a pointless Waluigi alt that Luigi already has...

Also, I cannot help it but to call Mario's Builder costume "Bob the Builder".

For the characters I play the most, Purple Inkling, Grey and Black Incineroar, Red Ridley, Toothless Corrin. I keep K Rool and Isabelle at default, they look the best that way.
When it comes to the character's alts I might use in the future (but I will mostly pick them with their defaults), White/Blue Ike looks pretty (xD I like to go with non-buffed Ike), MK would be between Red MK or White MK (So FANCY!), with Falco, It would be between Red Falco or Dark Fal, and I might try the new "Pink" one becase he has purple feathers. When it comes to Rosalina, it would be any of her "Fire" alts or Purple. Wolf would have his Dark costume all the way, gotta love the red and black with gold color scheme.

And the most important of the bunch...Ridley, I LOVE all of his alt colors and costumes, but the lack of an Omega Ridley alt pains me.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know I can't describe the feeling of losing to a 2-stock laggy Wolf who just spams blaster and FSmash named "Kakashi666"

Oh wait, I can, it's ANGER.

Iridium

Smash Hero

My favorite. Royal Guard and Dark Link do come very close.

I should get some sleep soon. I'm feeling a bit drowsy at the moment.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I dunno, the light blue also matches with Elena's sash, the off-white clothes match her dress, the gold highlights are on Elena's head-piece, and the cape is blue on both ends like the scarf. I think I would believe for sure it was a Sigurd reference if the inside of the cape was white.

Plus it seems weird when the rest of his colors reference PoR characters like Greil and BK, but one is another game. Though I suppose they did do that for Marth and Leif.
It's pretty unfortunate that Marth's white alt has drifted away from referencing Leif as much as it did in Melee.
1546832668261.jpeg

FE776_Leif_01.png
The blue undershirt is a short change that would go a long way, and they could make it even better than the Melee version by making the armor pieces white.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still feel rather pluzzled why they didn't keep the Fire Mario Alt instead of giving him a pointless Waluigi alt that Luigi already has...

Also, I cannot help it but to call Mario's Builder costume "Bob the Builder".

When it comes to the character's alts I might use in the future (but I will mostly pick them with their defaults), White/Blue Ike looks pretty (xD I like to go with non-buffed Ike), MK would be between Red MK or White MK (So FANCY!), with Falco, It would be between Red Falco or Dark Fal, and I might try the new "Pink" one becase he has purple feathers. When it comes to Rosalina, it would be either of her "Fire" alts or Purple. Wolf would have his Dark costume all the way, gotta love the red and black with gold color scheme.

And the most important of the bunch...Ridley, I LOVE all of his alt color and costumes, but the lack of an Omega Ridley alt pains me.
I wish Muppet Ridley was an alt.

I call Other M Ridley Muppet Ridley.
81a.gif

Look at that mouth. That's a Muppet mouth.

Roberk

Smash Champion

My favorite. Royal Guard and Dark Link do come very close.
When I play Link I call it "Sprite Cranberry". Still need to think of a good pun for it.

They're practically identical.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

View attachment 185881
xD Awww! You know, If there had been a Roidley (xDD Muppet Ridley) alt, I would have loved to see a lone SM/Brawl Ridley alt (without th derpy eyes), and with that I would have been able to play my Ridley Bros. individually and put them on team battles. Obviously, the outcome would be pretty much what you see in my avi.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh my gosh, I just went online with Mii Brawler for the first time and went on a losing streak and got a GSP of about 200,000. I'm not even mad, I just think it's funny how bad I can be with that one character. I have no clue what to do with them.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

View attachment 185881
Yeesh, and we were supposed to take that thing seriously? Course I wasn’t taking it seriously to begin with considering it started out as this stupid Moogle-looking thing, but still...
63E5021A-5BD8-4AC2-81FB-552D50FA56ED.jpeg

I am afraid not, but it would have been cool to see.
What a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeesh, and we were supposed to take that thing seriously? Course I wasn’t taking it seriously to begin with considering it started out as this stupid Moogle-looking thing, but still...
View attachment 185886
Take it seriously? Maybe not, but now that I think about it, a white Ridley based off that creature would be nice. There isn't a white Ridley, is there?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I normally stick to the default costumes, but there are a few that get a lot of use...

:ultfox:: The one with the black jacket and green details just looks awesome
:ultike:: Swole Ike is the only choice. Pity he doesn't have the best colors anymore - I'd have preferred the blue here
:ultlink:: I always like Dark Links (except Toon), but the Royal Guard is incredible. I normally go a lot with the Wild tunic too
:ultmario:: Builder is awesome. Why did he lose Fire Mario and keep Waluigi, though? And I preferred Jumpman to Boxart for the blue one.
:ultmewtwo:: I love the blue. Pity there's no real shiny, but Shadow's great
:ultpichu:: Team Aqua was the best choice imaginable and I can't not use that one
:ultpit:: I actually like the blond one.
:ultridley:: As cool as Meta Ridley is, I do miss the black recolor. But they look great.
:ultrobin:: His blue and Green look way better this round
:ultzelda:: I very rarely play her without the brunette one, and when I do it's the blue dress. I miss TP...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd like to hear it. :p
The main key is mobility and Smash attacks. Combos are not Mac's games, though they can be done, the idea is to blast them with Smash attacks and then use those to either pressure their shield hard by using the :GCDR: Smash or by catching air landings with a :GCUR: or :GCU: smash. Only do :GCUR: Smash if they're landing on the same level as you or if you're not sure you'll be able to reach since it actually moves you a lot farther forward. :GCU: does hit underneath platforms, so that's great for poking if you ever find yourself in that situation.

Also grab. Grab a lot. Once you give people the idea of slapping that C Stick, they'll be shielding way more often. Grabs are a great way to get damage in. Half the time I just pummel until they let go since that lets me do more damage than an actual throw. Not like we have useful throw combos/kill throws anyway.

KO Punch snipes underneath platforms like :GCU: Smash, use it if you can. Running KO Punch is usually what I do, but be careful if you do it near a ledge, since the momentum will carry you off stage. But otherwise, the only way they can avoid a running KO punch is rolling toward you since they'll end up behind you. Jumping/Shielding/Rolling Away doesn't do much unless they're far away enough.

I only know one combo. :GCD: tilt is useless now, but :GCU: tilt replaces its old functions. You can use it to combo either into an :GCU: Smash if you make them land on top of a platform or Rising Uppercut if they can't DI far away enough. I haven't tested if it can combo into KO Punch, but it may be able to?

Recovery is simple: counter an edgeguard to use your I-Frames towards the ledge or just get close enough to use any of the two basic recovery moves. It usually works if you know when to use it. Haymaker is okay, great for reads and those trying to recover high. Also great meme kills if you're into that.

On the airfighting spectrum, F-Air is still F-Air, and that's really all I gotta say outside of Haymaker. I never really used NAir, but I know you can do it to disrupt and then follow up with a quick F-Tilt. I'm not that quick with my controller so I don't use it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I need this as a costume in the next game:
507E0778-A1D1-4F81-A195-4E117CEEBABD.jpeg

While on the topic, any particular alternate colors/costumes you want to see for your wanted newcomers?

The main key is mobility and Smash attacks. Combos are not Mac's games, though they can be done, the idea is to blast them with Smash attacks and then use those to either pressure their shield hard by using the :GCDR: Smash or by catching air landings with a :GCUR: or :GCU: smash. Only do :GCUR: Smash if they're landing on the same level as you or if you're not sure you'll be able to reach since it actually moves you a lot farther forward. :GCU:does hit underneath platforms, so that's great for poking if you ever find yourself in that situation.

Also grab. Grab a lot. Once you give people the idea of slapping that C Stick, they'll be shielding way more often. Grabs are a great way to get damage in. Half the time I just pummel until they let go since that lets me do more damage than an actual throw. Not like we have useful throw combos/kill throws anyway.

KO Punch snipes underneath platforms like :GCU: Smash, use it if you can. Running KO Punch is usually what I do, but be careful if you do it near a ledge, since the momentum will carry you off stage. But otherwise, the only way they can avoid a running KO punch is rolling toward you since they'll end up behind you. Jumping/Shielding/Rolling Away doesn't do much unless they're far away enough.

I only know one combo. :GCD: tilt is useless now, but :GCU: tilt replaces its old functions. You can use it to combo either into an :GCU: Smash if you make them land on top of a platform or Rising Uppercut if they can't DI far away enough. I haven't tested if it can combo into KO Punch, but it may be able to?

Recovery is simple: counter an edgeguard to use your I-Frames towards the ledge or just get close enough to use any of the two basic recovery moves. It usually works if you know when to use it. Haymaker is okay, great for reads and those trying to recover high. Also great meme kills if you're into that.

On the airfighting spectrum, F-Air is still F-Air, and that's really all I gotta say outside of Haymaker. I never really used NAir, but I know you can do it to disrupt and then follow up with a quick F-Tilt. I'm not that quick with my controller so I don't use it.
“Starts taking notes” Very helpful as someone who wants to get better as:ultlittlemac:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Changed around my Mii Brawlers moves and suddenly the character became way better, so I was able to bring them back up past 2 million GSP. Who knew the character is actually usable if they have a good recovery? Anyway, I still have one major gripe with the character; I don't like how it just says "Mii Brawler" instead of the characters name when playing online. How is my opponent supposed to know that it was Grunkle Stan smacked them with the disrespect? I know they want to avoid naughty words and whatnot, but you can still see your opponent's profile name so I really don't get the point of censoring the mii's name.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I need serious help. The very last bonus I need for the Diskun trophy is the "very hard clear" bonus, and for some reason, this is harder than the "clear Classic on hard with no continues" trophy. Right now I am pretty far but I am walled by metal DK, get 5-stocked every time, and I'm almost out of coins. I'm using Roy because it's pretty easy to kill the CPUs but I didn't know his metal fight was with DK and it's awful. There has to be something I can do, I can get him to like 300% but he barely goes off the stage ever. I know if I get to Master Hand he'll be a cakewalk, it's just this guy that's the problem.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Say guys, if there is a Direct on the tenth of this month, like the leaks said, what do you think are the odds of the second Fighter Pass DLC character after Joker being revealed there?
I don't see anything besides a Joker gameplay trailer happening as well as a release date. I don't think we'll see the next character until at least AFTER Joker is released. I mean maybe they show the next one as a tease like Joker but I find it more likely that they focus on Joker and Piranha Plant above all else.

75/25 is what I'd give it. More likely no, but not unlikely either.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Any particular alternate colors/costumes you want to see for your wanted newcomers?
For my absolute most wanted (Missingno): 1 Skin with the color palette from Yellow, and then 6 others representing the Kanto towns' different color palettes that they have when played on a Super Game Boy.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'd like to imagine people moving to Nevada thinking, "Derr... we're moving to a desert, and deserts are very hot with all the sand, tumbleweeds and mirages. We won't have to deal with snow any longer!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

20190106_194246.jpg

AndreaAC

While on the topic, any particular alternate colors/costumes you want to see for your wanted newcomers?
xP I feel all Villains should have fancy costumes:
tux.png

I have always enjoyed putting Ridley in fancy tuxedos, so I would die to have this despite how ridiculous it may sound. xD And more seriously speaking, the Omega Ridley alt.

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
xP I feel all Villains should have fancy costumes:
View attachment 185893

I have always enjoyed putting Ridley in fancy tuxedos, so I would die to have this despite how ridiculous it may sound. xD
Yes please.
Porky's default skin would be the red suit so if they got in it'd work perfectly already!

Edit: DeDeDress

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't see anything besides a Joker gameplay trailer happening as well as a release date. I don't think we'll see the next character until at least AFTER Joker is released. I mean maybe they show the next one as a tease like Joker but I find it more likely that they focus on Joker and Piranha Plant above all else.

And Joker's likely further away for a release than Piranha Plant. They were at least able to show gameplay with him and he's got a February release date! Poor Joker just had a teaser trailer since nothing was up for him yet. It pretty much functioned as a calling card and just made us aware that he's coming lol. It was all a stealth plot to get Yoshi's distorted tax evading desires to manifest.

He likely won't be available til March at the earliest and I don't know if they'd have another teaser so soon. If Smash info were to drop regarding DLC, it would probably be about how far along Piranha Plant is and if they spoke about Joker, since all we got was a teaser so far, they may let us know how many Persona tracks (if any, since I don't remember if they said they'd be in the DLC packs) made it in and they'd probably reveal the stage that was selected (more than likely Mementos for him).

As far as future DLC characters go? I think our next update will be Piranha Plant. By that point, not only will he drop, but we'll have more concrete Joker info and they'll hopefully be far enough along to actually show some gameplay for the 2nd DLC character. Joker was shown off earlier because Sakurai absolutely loves that game and probably couldn't wait lol.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Personally, I feel like our next tease will be somewhere between Piranha Plant's public release and the end of March, to coincide with Smash Ultimate's first tease.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Joker was shown off earlier because Sakurai absolutely loves that game and probably couldn't wait lol.
More likely Joker was shown off when he was to get more people to buy the Fighters Pass on release day.

I've heard that DLC tends to sell worse the farther out from the game's release it becomes available at. Nintendo's salemens probably wanted to get as many people to preorder the past as soon as possible, and The Game Awards happened to be announced a single day before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom