• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Everyone gets bullied, but everyone's experience with it is different. I grew up in a place where social and racial tensions were high and I can garuntee you that if I had grown up in the town I live in now it wouldn't have been nearly as bad for me as the town and school I grew up in.

I wasn't just called mean names. I was kicked, harrased, tackled, robbed from or vandalized and mocked whenever a slightly awkward thing came out of my mouth, even groped a couple of times, and most of the time when I went to an adult for help like I was told supposed to I was told to handle it myself or that I was overreacting. I swear the times I was groped were the only times adults took it seriously. Eventually I learned the only way to stop it was to avoid social interaction altogether, so that's what I did.

I'm sorry to go off topic for so long, so I'll drop it now. My childhood is just a pretty emotional topic for me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Can't speak for other people but bullying made me into a better person. When I'm not making money from local tournaments or my regular job, I'm usually spending my Friday and Saturday nights on a stage telling jokes in a ****ty bar or club.
I have autism and I'm bisexual so I was bullied a lot growing up. I hated it at the time, but I'm glad it happened. Because it would suck to grow up and become an adult only to then realize people are actually insufferable.
If I wasn't tormented for how I was, I probably wouldn't have the nerve to jump on a stage in rural Louisiana and tell a crowd of drunk middle age dudes that I'm attracted to men. Can't say I didn't go through dark moments, but it's still something I'm grateful for.
We're all learning so much about each other.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Everyone gets bullied, but everyone's experience with it is different. I grew up in a place where social and racial tensions were high and I can garuntee you that if I had grown up in the town I live in now it wouldn't have been nearly as bad for me as the town and school I grew up in.

I wasn't just called mean names. I was kicked, harrased, tackled, robbed from or vandalized and mocked whenever a slightly awkward thing came out of my mouth, even groped a couple of times, and most of the time when I went to an adult for help like I was told supposed to I was told to handle it myself or that I was overreacting. I swear the times I was groped were the only times adults took it seriously. Eventually I learned the only way to stop it was to avoid social interaction altogether, so that's what I did.

I'm sorry to go off topic for so long, so I'll drop it now. My childhood is just a pretty emotional topic for me.
You guys play super smash brothers by chance?

Roberk

Smash Champion

Alright uhhh, so how about Mii Costume DLC? I'd like Zeke and Morag from XC2, BOTW Champions would also be neat. Essentially, characters that never really had a chance in the first place but still have fan support to warrant asset development. Any ideas?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Here’s a fun question. If you suddenly found yourself in the future, and playing a build of ultimate with all the dlc characters, then you returned here, would you tell everyone who they were?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Alright uhhh, so how about Mii Costume DLC? I'd like Zeke and Morag from XC2, BOTW Champions would also be neat. Essentially, characters that never really had a chance in the first place but still have fan support to warrant asset development. Any ideas?
Master Chief Mii costume would be pretty cool.

Noipoi

Howdy!
When I was a kid I stayed home all day. Every day.

I never got bullied, and nowadays the only guy who gets under my skin is this asshole I see every morning when I look in the mirror.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here’s a fun question. If you suddenly found yourself in the future, and playing a build of ultimate with all the dlc characters, then you returned here, would you tell everyone who they were?
Probably not... I'd likely get in trouble with the mods for posting leaks...

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
No I'd pretend to not know and to just be guessing.

Then I would bet everyone I know in real life a huge amount of money for guessing the other 4 characters.

Shroob

Sup?
You bet your ass.

I'd make a specific as **** post that went into excruciating detail like Piranha Plant leaker did, and as more and more of my posts came true, people would be going nuts over "HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?!"

It's be hilarious.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yes, but not outright.

I'd say something like, "hey guys, wouldn't _ be cool?". And i'd keep bringing it up over and over until I became associated with those characters.
Then when they get revealed, I revel in all the "NOIPOI CALLED IT" posts.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hoping for some Rhythm Heaven costumes, especially since a character probably isn't happening now...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is long pass I just want to say I apologize for the whole Waluigi thing last night. It wasn't very cool of me and you guys are right regardless of the fans and the memes you ought to respect how they feel even if overexposed all over the internet.
It's all good. :)

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon 's Classic route for Joker sounds awesome, I hope that's what they go with. I'm just hoping DLC characters actually get their own routes...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I used to make jokes about my autism and had good fun with it, but as I grew older I saw that other autistic people who weren't me were being dehumanized and relentlessly bullied by the same things I was able to shrug off. So, for their sake, I grew an intolerance to any jokes about autism and grew very suspicious of anyone posting "please be patient I have autism" memes because far and wide it's mostly sh*tty channers and other vile people doing it, rather than autistic people themselves.

I am not saying autistic people don't make those sorts of jokes themselves, but far more non autistic people make these jokes than autistic people do, which leaves the question of "do I take the time to manually go over every single person that makes these jokes to know if they're just taking the p*ss out of themselves or if they're *ssholes trying to sh*t on autistic people"...or do I just say it's not cool for anyone to make these jokes because on the whole they make autistic people look bad no matter WHO makes them?

The latter is far easier on my and everyone else's psyche, so it's what I went with.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I think what makes many so worked up about this Smash in particular is the wrong naming, calling it Ultimate was a bad choice as it implies it's the final end Smash. Which is not the case (or could be if they lent heavily on DLCs for the upcoming years). As most of you know, it's called Special in Japan, and that's what it exactly is. A special case of the WiiU's. It's an upgraded version of the WiiU's that includes all previous fighters, more and better modes and some extra fighters as well. That's how I believe it is and that's what I think they intended too.
Comment based on BlondeLombax BlondeLombax post.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
As someone with a pretty severe speech impediment that I’ve had since kindergarten, I would get mocked a bit. Thankfully not to the point to where it became an issue but struggling to get the words out with people laughing at me in school was still annoying as hell.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'd drop small hints to who the next character is, to the point where the community can't decide if I'm getting really lucky or actually hinting, then they'll obsessively study every post I make to see if it's a hint or not.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah but I'd make several false predictions and insist HEAVILY I was right. Then, for the very last DLC characters, I'd do my usual antics but with the correct choice this time, and there would be a bunch of jokes about "Holy sh*t, TheYungLink was ACTUALLY right!"

Also while I'd be purposefully wrong about the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th DLC fighters, I'd still leave cryptic posts hinting at all of them right before they were revealed, to prove to everyone else in was right all along.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think what makes many so worked up about this Smash in particular is the wrong naming, calling it Ultimate was a bad choice as it implies it's the final end Smash. Which is not the case (or could be if they lent heavily on DLCs for the upcoming years). As most of you know, it's called Special in Japan, and that's what it exactly is. A special case of the WiiU's. It's an upgraded version of the WiiU's that includes all previous fighters, more and better modes and some extra fighters as well. That's how I believe it is and that's what I think they intended too.
Comment based on BlondeLombax BlondeLombax post.
Ultimate implies it’s the ultimate smash... which it is. It implies nothing about it being the finalend at all.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Definitely, as a new leaker in town. Claiming to have sources that surpasses Vergeben's.
Maybe making him use me as his special source XD.. nah, that's going too far :)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You guys play super smash brothers by chance?
Wow, how'd you guess? It's a pretty niche game on a failure of a system so I'm kind of surprised people here even know it exists.

Sorry that the topic got so uncomfortable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do folks here feel about Robin?

Was messing around with them last night and...they feel really different from Smash 4, for some reason? Like, I knew the basics of how to play them in Smash 4, but that doesn't seem to translate well into Ultimate for some reason.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Not really. I’d rather silently enjoy the fact that I know things nobody else does and watch the reactions of everyone when they eventually find out for themselves.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Was messing around with them last night and...they feel really different from Smash 4, for some reason? Like, I knew the basics of how to play them in Smash 4, but that doesn't seem to translate well into Ultimate for some reason.
I've only played a little bit if Robin so far, but...

1) The Levin Sword isn't just Robin's most important offensive tool, but its very important on the defensive as well. It's disjointed, safe when used as an aerial, and knocks aggressive foes a good distance back. Having to wait for it at the start of a match is kind of annoying.

2) Archthunder's combo potential was hit really hard. Its duration is much shorter so Robin has less flashy set ups now.

Maybe he's received a ton of buffs that I'm not aware of, but I'm personally not having a lot of fun with him so far.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I play him just as much as I played him in 4.

Barely.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
As someone with a pretty severe speech impediment that I’ve had since kindergarten, I would get mocked a bit. Thankfully not to the point to where it became an issue but struggling to get the words out with people laughing at me in school was still annoying as hell.
So how do you feel now? Hopefully much better.
Well, I guess texting is a cure, right?

D

Deleted member

I've only played a little bit if Robin so far, but...

1) The Levin Sword isn't just Robin's most important offensive tool, but its very important on the defensive as well. It's disjointed, safe when used as an aerial, and knocks aggressive foes a good distance back. Having to wait for it at the start of a match is kind of annoying.

2) Archthunder's combo potential was hit really hard. Its duration is much shorter so Robin has less flashy set ups now.

Maybe he's received a ton of buffs that I'm not aware of, but I'm personally not having a lot of fun with him so far.
Yeah, that all sounds like what I was dealing with last night. Arcfire definitely seems worse (And maybe even harder to hit now?), and it took me quite a while fighting against the CPU to realize Levin Sword has to charge up at the beginning of the match now. One cool thing I discovered was that Robin can pick up a discarded sword and throw it (don't think she had that back in 4).

Honestly...I wanna like her, and I still kind of like her, but I feel really torn on them. Gonna mess around with her and some more characters tomorrow and see if I can get them to click one more time.

What are your thoughts on Luigi? He's probably the character I'm most torn about right now. I still really like him, but I'm unsure if I wanna choose him over Mario for Ultimate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really want to get into playing Robin but I have no idea what the **** to do.

I need more IQ points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom