• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If they made a Smash spin off with only FE characters I'd probably buy it, to be honest. I know a lot of people here actually would.

I'm not sure if the community would be be more irrationally angry over it or if they'd be memeing it up that Super Marth Brothers became an actual thing.
Garfield.
Huh, that's a pretty weird name for a Pokemon.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Hot take/unpopular opinion.

I want an 8th Fire Emblem character.

Just so we can have 8 Player Fire Emblem fights without having to resort to female Robin/Corrin.

That and this fanbase will cave in on itself regardless of how unique the character is,
I agree with you that people overreact about Fire Emblem in Smash, but fundamentally it having 8 characters does feel wrong. It catching up to Nintendo's two main franchises when it's not even in their top 5 selling franchises does feel wrong.

Shroob

Sup?
I agree with you that people overreact about Fire Emblem in Smash, but fundamentally it having 8 characters does feel wrong. It catching up to Nintendo's two main franchises when it's not even in their top 5 selling franchises does feel wrong.
Hard disagree.

Fire Emblem's a series with a revolving door for a protagonist, meaning you can't just represent the series/newest games with the old guard.

You can always represent the newest Mario game with Mario, you can't do that with Fire Emblem and say, Marth.

The fact that Fire Emblem has such a large amount of characters on the roster is emblematic of this decision, IMO at least. The series has no 'main' protagonist.

LetterO

Smash Lord
WarioWare is the franchise that I want to get more representation. More songs (body rock body rock body rock), bring back Kat & Ana as an AT, and give us a character (that isn't Ashley).

Shroob

Sup?
WarioWare is the franchise that I want to get more representation. More songs (body rock body rock body rock), bring back Kat & Ana as an AT, and give us a character (that isn't Ashley).
My biggest issue with WarioWare as a series for getting a new character is that there isn't one side character more important than the others.

Ashley is by far the most popular character in the series, and even she got slapped by the Assist Trophy twice in a row.

I feel like the best way to represent Wario would be to pull from Land, not Ware.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You had me, you had me ready to agree with you, you had me ready to make you the best man at my wedding and in one second you ruined everything.
tumblr_n1wjkma80C1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hard disagree.

Fire Emblem's a series with a revolving door for a protagonist, meaning you can't just represent the series/newest games with the old guard.

You can always represent the newest Mario game with Mario, you can't do that with Fire Emblem and say, Marth.

The fact that Fire Emblem has such a large amount of characters on the roster is emblematic of this decision, IMO at least. The series has no 'main' protagonist.
I think there's definitely truth to both sides of this debate.

Fire Emblem, like Pokemon, has a massive, ever-changing cast of important characters to pull from and there is still some moveset potential sitting there that has yet to be tapped into. Yet at the same time you've also got to understand that FE is still slightly niche and not something every traditional Nintendo fan is going to click with, so I can also kind of understand some people's disappointment when it gets new characters time and time again.

Ultimately I think it will be for the best if we get no more FE characters so they can prioritize other other franchises instead. As cool as I think it'd be to have Celica or Hector I'd rather wait to see a roster rework happen in Smash 6 in who knows how long from now rather then have them added now when FE has already, due to lucky circumstances, already received so much.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Hard disagree.

It does however have protags that have a lasting status and population of fans. You could certainly widdle down some of the characters in Smash currently and still accurately and prominently represent Fire Emblem.

The only reason you shouldn't is simply because you'll have upset fans over which ever character DID get the cut.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll keep adding FE characters until one of them is Lyn.

I've been pulling for her for 13 years and have been pity broken by everyone else.

Shroob

Sup?
I still find it really bizarre that we have stats for Piranha Plant, but not the character itself for another month and a half or so.

Really makes me think he was either started super late in development and just wasn't finished on time, or was cut from the roster entirely and put up as the early adopter bonus, tbh.

It does however have protags that have a lasting status and population of fans. You could certainly widdle down some of the characters in Smash currently and still accurately and prominently represent Fire Emblem.

The only reason you shouldn't is simply because you'll have upset fans over which ever character DID get the cut.
You could cut the Fire Emblem cast in half and that'd be enough to represent the series, but I feel like Fire Emblem's become like Pokemon, where they want to represent the newest game via Smash.

Only reason I feel like Celica didn't get in was due to Chrom already having a viable model and being popular, and 3 Houses probably being well in development at the time.

Edit: Sorry, double post, please merge, board is going slow.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pokken is Tekken with nothing but Pokémon characters.

Not the same thing as “ Super Pokémon Bros.” which would be Smash with nothing but Pokémon characters.

And honestly, no, Pokemon is not taking over the roster. 8 slots out of 74 slots is not “taking over the roster.”
I kind of wish Pokken played more like Tekken. It's pretty different.

D

Deleted member

You had me, you had me ready to agree with you, you had me ready to make you the best man at my wedding and in one second you ruined everything.
View attachment 183519
Ashley is still in my top 5, man. I was really pulling for more Wario Ware in this game.

That AT still stings...

*Sigh* At least she's here at all...

LetterO

Smash Lord
View attachment 183519
im sorry but i dont get the ashley hype

My biggest issue with WarioWare as a series for getting a new character is that there isn't one side character more important than the others.

Ashley is by far the most popular character in the series, and even she got slapped by the Assist Trophy twice in a row.

I feel like the best way to represent Wario would be to pull from Land, not Ware.
Pokemon has so many potential characters to choose from yet Sakurai always finds a way. As cool as more Wario Land rep could be, it seems Ware is the ongoing one and the path Wario is going.

Shroob

Sup?
im sorry but i dont get the ashley hype

Pokemon has so many potential characters to choose from yet Sakurai always finds a way. As cool as more Wario Land rep could be, it seems Ware is the ongoing one and the path Wario is going.
Pokemon is also Pokemon though, the 2nd Biggest multimedia franchise in the entire world, kind of hard to compare it to WarioWare there.

I personally feel like if WarioWare would have gotten a new rep, now would have been it, but, it didn't.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hey, maybe Three Houses will finally strike a perfect balance turn out to be a massive hit with FE traditionalist, anime-loving Fateswakening casuals, and tons of people who've never even touched the series before. That way we could get a Three Houses rep in DLC wave two and have almost no one be salty about it, the same way almost no one is salty when we get a new Pokemon.

And maybe I'll win the lottery tomorrow and use that money to start a charity that ends world hunger. Hey. It could happen. If I was the type to waste money on gambling.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Gengar would make the Pokemon roster complete for me.

...wait, no, we'd still need Meowth with Arbok, Weezing, and Wobbufett, with Jessie & James having the same role as Pokemon Trainer.

Oh, and we need Raichu as well.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hey, maybe Three Houses will finally strike a perfect balance turn out to be a massive hit with FE traditionalist, anime-loving Fateswakening casuals, and tons of people who've never even touched the series before. That way we could get a Three Houses rep in DLC wave two and have almost no one be salty about it, the same way almost no one is salty when we get a new Pokemon.

And maybe I'll win the lottery tomorrow and use that money to start a charity that ends world hunger. Hey. It could happen. If I was the type to waste money on gambling.
Bold of you to assume it'd be wave 2 and not wave 1.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You could cut the Fire Emblem cast in half and that'd be enough to represent the series, but I feel like Fire Emblem's become like Pokemon, where they want to represent the newest game via Smash.

Only reason I feel like Celica didn't get in was due to Chrom already having a viable model and being popular, and 3 Houses probably being well in development at the time.

Edit: Sorry, double post, please merge, board is going slow.
I think a fine way to do it would include legacy/popular characters like Marth or Chrom/Lucina, throw in an old fan fav like Lyn as well, and then rotate out whoever is the current protag at the time of each Smash.

The only thing that DOES throw kinks in this is if a certain protag between each installment became a Chrom/Lucina type of situation that they'll probably stick in the series spotlight and not just be a one time "fad", for a lack of a better term at the moment.

Noipoi

Howdy!

...wait, no, we'd still need Meowth with Arbok, Weezing, and Wobbufett, with Jessie & James having the same role as Pokemon Trainer.

If you say one more Kanto Pokemon we're gonna have an issue.
3A8C9A1B-B044-4E83-810C-66F29A22092E.jpeg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Mona, Kat & Ana, and 9-Volt all have been in the Warioware series since the beginning and aside from Ashley are probably the most popular out of all the characters so if anyone were to get in aside from Ashley, it’d be at least one of them.

I think Celica would’ve made a decent Robin echo though I can see people having a problem with the same franchise having three echoes.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Bold of you to assume it'd be wave 2 and not wave 1.
1) This is moreso wishful thinking then assumptions. please let Three Houses be good please let Three House be good please let Three Houses be good.
2) I'm still pretty confident we aren't getting a new FE character. I probably won't be angry if we do get one but I'm still not sure Nintendo is really going to pull that on us.
View attachment 183521
Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have Scyther in Smash? His arms are scythes, he'd be a perfect fit!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 183521
Reminder that people grew up at different times. You may have grown up on Gen 3 or 4 but I grew up on 1 & 2 so seeing any Pokemon from there represented well makes me super happy.

Not that that matters since the whole Pokemon fanbase seems to have a problem with "Genwunners".

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

No, you know what Pokémon character we really need...

No really you’ll never guess...

Clearly I threw you guys for a loop.

1) Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have Scyther in Smash? His arms are scythes, he'd be a perfect fit!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Simple rundown on the Ashley hype:

Most people here like her because we don't have a lot of dedicated magic users, she's a witch, and her themesong is stuck in our heads from the DS era.

Japan likes her because "ASHLEY-CHAN KAWAII!!!!!!!!~"

Why else do you think Japan adores her? She's a magical girl loli goth gf.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Reminder that people grew up at different times. You may have grown up on Gen 3 or 4 but I grew up on 1 & 2 so seeing any Pokemon from there represented well makes me super happy.

Not that that matters since the whole Pokemon fanbase seems to have a problem with "Genwunners".
I'm just tired of my generations being pushed aside for more Nostalgia, y'know?
Like I get it, Pokemania and everything. But it'd be nice to be pandered to every once in a while. I'm really burned out on Kanto...

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I've pretty much accepted that Pokemon's representation in every game that isn't its own main series will always be trash regardless of what I try to propose to fix it.

As for Fire Emblem... Yeah, I got nothing for this series, either. I personally want Tharja, but considering all the crap the series gets, that's a total longshot tbh.

Look I know you guys are sick of tier lists, but I'm telling you, this is the one

I want opinions on this it took me like half an hour to make
>places the controversial song at F Tier

good.

I should probably comment on the rest of the tier list, but I don't feel like tbh

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

And fails to see that Gen One keeps getting revisited because everyone fails to make any other generation come even remotely close to the sales figures of when they represent Gen One prominently.

It's not that TPC hates other Generations Pokemon fanbase, it's that Generation One is when the entire Pokemon community seems to purchase something in unison.

Yes, unison, because if you guys were really as upset about Generation One as you all made yourselves out to be? It'd reflect in the sales.

Shroob

Sup?
I've pretty much accepted that Pokemon's representation in every game that isn't its own main series will always be trash regardless of what I try to propose to fix it.

As for Fire Emblem... Yeah, I got nothing for this series, either. I personally want Tharja, but considering all the crap the series gets, that's a total longshot tbh.

>places the controversial song at F Tier

good.

I should probably comment on the rest of the tier list, but I don't feel like tbh
Controversial song?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Hard disagree.

I think there's definitely truth to both sides of these statements.

Fire Emblem, like Pokemon, has a massive, ever-changing cast of important characters to pull from and there is still some moveset potential sitting there that has yet to be tapped into. Yet at the same time you've also got to understand that FE is still slightly niche and not something every traditional Nintendo fan is going to click with, so I can also kind of understand some people's disappointment when it gets new characters time and time again.

Ultimately I think it will be for the best if we get no more FE characters so they can prioritize other other franchises instead. As cool as I think it'd be to have Celica or Hector I'd rather wait to see a roster rework happen in Smash 6 in who knows how long from now rather then have them added now when FE has already, due to lucky circumstances, already received so much.
More Fire Emblem reps down the road is something that has to happen, but it would be better for most future reps to be anything but a swordsperson (and I mean fully, so the Avatars are excluded)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Simple rundown on the Ashley hype:

Most people here like her because we don't have a lot of dedicated magic users, she's a witch, and her themesong is stuck in our heads from the DS era.

Japan likes her because "ASHLEY-CHAN KAWAII!!!!!!!!~"

Why else do you think Japan adores her? She's a magical girl loli goth gf.
Don't have a lot of dedicated magic users.

We legit have 2.

3 if you count Bayonetta's wicked weave attacks, as you should.

But prominently when people think of magic they're thinking of stuff like Zelda and Robin do.

I think that's why people want Ashley they expect her to be something more along those lines of magic but in a ''cutesy" way.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
More Fire Emblem reps down the road is something that has to happen, but it would be better for most future reps to be anything but a swordsperson (and I mean fully, so the Avatars are excluded)
I’m waiting to see more Three Houses gameplay to go whole hog with supporting Edelgard and her potential to use axes and magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom