• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry guys, I speak Japanese.

He's saying "The orange eggplant beckons you at midnight."

Guys I just realized I can't read Japanese.
Você pode falar Português? Não creio que sim...

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Where is Marx?
Hate to reply to a post twice, but I just watched the entire video.

And I breathe a sigh of relief when I say There was no Marx spirit in that video. If there was, I missed him.
I get to latch onto that hope and dream just for a bit longer....

EDIT: I take it back. The post above mine crushed the hopes and dreams.
Pity me. I weep.
Times like these make me wish the page updated itself automatically...

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
If spirits deconfirm, there is no way in hell a Kirby character is getting in.
Well, Kirby is a very popular franchise and if my theory it's true, a new Kirby character is a given (The theory: "Nintendo of Japan likes to play it safe")
Eu creio que e asim... não sei...

Last edited:
Right as I say I'm hopeful because Marx isn't a confirmed Spirit I see this...

I barely even got a few seconds to sit with that hope...

Can someone tell me the timestamp to Marx? Just to get this over with quickly..
Are we sure about the 'character is a Spirit = character deconfirmed' rule? I was away since last direct basically so i could have missed some crucial info about that.

That goes without saying, that franchise got a lot of Marth.
Just fixed that for you :p

NineS

Smash Lord
I had hope for a character who had a legitimate chance, they were then crushed a few seconds after they were formed, only to be brought back up and then crushed again.

Man, that was exhausting... So much easier rooting for 2B...

Which is why you should all give it a try too.
Are we sure about the 'character is a Spirit = character deconfirmed' rule? I was away since last direct basically so i could have missed some crucial info about that.
A leaker with a good track record who has Vergeben's blessing, the most accurate leaker in terms of Smash Bros. Ultimate who is yet to be incorrect in terms of Smash bros, has stated that Spirits will not be fighters in the Fighters' Pass.

They have also stated that Steve from Minecraft is in, we're getting a Square Enix character, a Namco character, and a Nintendo rep with a sword. 4/5 of the DLC characters right there.

Important to note that, in terms of Smash Bros. Ultimate, this person has no track record whatsoever. All we have to go off of is their general track record and the fact they have Vergeben's blessing.

Last edited:
A leaker with a good track record who has Vergeben's blessing, the most accurate leaker in terms of Smash Bros. Ultimate who is yet to be incorrect in terms of Smash bros
If true, that's a pretty big deal. Like hundreds of characters deconfirmed at the same time.
Unfortunately that's not the kind of claim that can be verified easily... unless Sakurai straight up confirms it in an interview or something...

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Geno it's a almost confirmed in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo has a good relationship with Square-Enix and Mario it's a big franchise. He's the bridge connecting the two companies, Nintendo and Square-Enix.
I bet Nintendo of Japan knows the importance of Geno.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
So pretty much everyone agrees that Rex won't be DLC because he is too recent.

Then someone please explain why people are predicting Fire Emblem: Three Houses reps or Gen 8 Pokémon?

I know a lot of you are being pessimistic but there is a point where you get so pessimistic it becomes illogical.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Here's my latest thoughts about Geno, you can also learn a new language too (for free!!) :
Geno está casi confirmado en Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo tiene una buena relación con Square-Enix y Mario es una gran franquicia. Él es el puente conectando dos compañías, Nintendo y Square-Enix, ¡es perfecto!

And this means...

Geno it's a almost confirmed in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo has a good relationship with Square-Enix and Mario it's a big franchise. He's the bridge connecting the two companies, Nintendo and Square-Enix, perfect!

A free Spanish lesson, now you can finally finish High School.
You bring a good point.
And I would like Geno.
Though, what would make them choose Geno over the many more characters Square Enix has who are far more recognizable or well known?
I honestly thought he was a lock for Ultimate before the November Direct... Then it happened. They have characters such as DQ's slime, a DQ Protagonist, Sora, another FF character, or even characters like (and I say this one with bias, I will admit that) 2B.

With these out of the Picture, Geno is in for sure. Though, taking all the other possible likely Square Enix characters into account, things become a bit more complicated.

Seeing as without a doubt, the more popular and recognizable characters would earn all parties involved far more money than Geno.
I have lowered my expectations for Geno, as unless Nintendo and/or Square Enix are taking the Ballot into account, his chances begin to look grim.
That, and there's a fair chance that at least one of the characters will be done with promotional purposes as well; However, this is unconfirmed and simply a safe assumption.

Then someone please explain why people are predicting Fire Emblem: Three Houses reps or Gen 8 Pokémon?

I know a lot of you are being pessimistic but there is a point where you get so pessimistic it becomes illogical.
People don't think Rex won't be DLC because he's too recent.
They think he won't be DLC because his Mii outfit is a free bonus in the Fighters' pass.
We just think that if he is DLC, it isn't going to be in the Fighters' pass, it'll be in another round of DLC afterward.

If there was a Gen 8 Pokemon or Fire Emblem: Three Houses mii costume as a bonus in the Fighters' pass, people would most likely write them off as they have Rex.

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice

I thought it was the opposite, since we are almost sure Nintendo of Japan did the selection, they probably chose characters from recent and/or relevant games, meaning that we shouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
You bring a good point.
And I would like Geno.
Though, what would make them choose Geno over the many more characters Square Enix has who are far more recognizable or well known?
I honestly thought he was a lock for Ultimate before the November Direct... Then it happened. They have characters such as DQ's slime, a DQ Protagonist, Sora, another FF character, or even characters like (and I say this one with bias, I will admit that) 2B.

With these out of the Picture, Geno is in for sure. Though, taking all the other possible likely Square Enix characters into account, things become a bit more complicated.

Seeing as without a doubt, the more popular and recognizable characters would earn all parties involved far more money than Geno.
I have lowered my expectations for Geno, as unless Nintendo and/or Square Enix are taking the Ballot into account, his chances begin to look grim.

People don't think Rex won't be DLC because he's too recent.
They think he won't be DLC because his Mii outfit is a free bonus in the Fighters' pass.
We just think that if he is DLC, it isn't going to be in the Fighters' pass, it'll be in another round of DLC afterward.

If there was a Gen 8 Pokemon or Fire Emblem: Three Houses mii costume as a bonus in the Fighters' pass, people would most likely write them off as they have Rex.
But Rex was added as a Mii costume BECAUSE he was too recent. It doesn't make sense to predict characters from games that aren't even out yet.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Because the cold, soulless men in suits at Nintendo only care about promoting FE and Pokymanz and nothing else I guess.

Although a gen 8 Pokemon making its debut in Smash could potentially be incredibly hype, I still don't see it as likely.

NineS

Smash Lord
But Rex was added as a Mii costume BECAUSE he was too recent. It doesn't make sense to predict characters from games that aren't even out yet.
As I stated before, that does make it confusing.
Sakurai said he was a Mii costume because he couldn't put him in the game due to the fact he was too new.

The wording, however, suggests that he was referring to the base game, not whatever he has planned for DLC.
Add on top of the tweets suggesting that the characters were only recently chosen... As in, finalized this month.. It opens the door to anyone (besides Rex, and assist trophies, and spirits according to Hitagi, for at least this round of DLC that is.)

Sakurai made it sound as if, if it were up to him, Rex would be a DLC character but everyone will have to settle for a consolation prize instead until then, if there is an until then. It's very possible that Rex simply wasn't one of the DLC characters Nintendo offered, but since Sakurai seemed to have wanted him in some shape or form anyway, he settled for a Mii outfit.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I might have already said this but could this be the most active forum thread on the entire internet right now? I don't know of a lot of non-gaming forums, so...

I think the DLC characters will be Goku, Inuyasha, Luffy, Deku, and Bandana Waddle Dee.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just fixed that for you :p
I'm sure it has only two.

Because the cold, soulless men in suits at Nintendo only care about promoting FE and Pokymanz and nothing else I guess.

Although a gen 8 Pokemon making its debut in Smash could potentially be incredibly hype, I still don't see it as likely.
People would loathe them, but the idea of seeing a character in Smash before anywhere is is really exciting to me.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
the last 5 dlc characters are Lupin The 3rd, Ojamajo Doremi, RX-78-2 Gundam, Doronbo Gang, and Lum Invader

was just told this by a good friend who works at TMS animation which is owned by Sega so he knows his stuffs

osby

Smash Obsessed
the last 5 dlc characters are Lupin The 3rd, Ojamajo Doremi, RX-78-2 Gundam, Doronbo Gang, and Lum Invader

was just told this by a good friend who works at TMS animation which is owned by Sega so he knows his stuffs
It sounds like these are all deserving characters that practically made for Smash and would fit right in, unlike some anime swordsmen...

I'll ready pitchforks and torches just in case we get other characters.

NineS

Smash Lord
It sounds like these are all deserving characters that practically made for Smash and would fit right in, unlike some anime swordsmen...

I'll ready pitchforks and torches just in case we get other characters.
Get those pitchforks out because I am very upset.
I'm very enraged.

How dare Sakurai not put in Ness's younger brother, Spaghetti Skeleton Waluigi in smash?
He's the most deserving.
I'm going to say a bunch of random hateful comments, and everyone who disagrees with me has to wake up, they're sheeple!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Get those pitchforks out because I am very upset.
I'm very enraged.

How dare Sakurai not put in Ness's younger brother, Spaghetti Skeleton Waluigi in smash?
He's the most deserving.
I'm going to say a bunch of random hateful comments, and everyone who disagrees with me has to wake up, they're sheeple!
Don't mind those blind Sakurai fanboys, they are just jealous because they don't have objective opinions about how to make a game better than an actual developer.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If the dark horse of a FF rep comes in. I hope it's Yuna just so she can bring this hit LGBTQ jam with her:

Im gonna have to say Vivi...

Or Kefka.

Most realistic FF 2nd rep?

Terra.

Even more realistic 2nd FF rep?

None. Because SE are EXTREMELY stingy about their IPs. There was a rumor floating around that Cloud was the last addition to Ultimate because SE was being so difficult.

Could you imagine if the game was like "Everyone is here!" (Except Cloud)

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Since I'm entering into a new age of Bowser Jr., I've adopted a new avatar to celebrate the occasion. I'm excited for what the future holds for me and him going into Ultimate. Bad or good, I'm loyal to the little guy to the bitter end, though from what I've seen so far, the future looks bright for this character. Long live the Koopa Empire!

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
People would loathe them, but the idea of seeing a character in Smash before anywhere is is really exciting to me.
Was Roy's game out before Melee? And Corrin DLC was pre-Fates, wasn't it? I'm not entirely sure on the release dates of the games, so correct me if I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member

Additionally, RX-78-2 and Lum Invader will be getting Echo Fighters in the form of Jenny Wakeman from My Life As A Teenage Robot and Zim Invader from Invasor Mim. My friend who works at Nickelodeon told me this and said they were very surprised to find out Nintendo wanted to revive these IPs.

I'm surprised Tetsuo from Akira is not a DLC character though, as my friend told me Sheen from Planet Sheen appears as an Echo Fighter too and uses his infamous psychic abilities to fight

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Was Roy's game out before Melee? And Corrin DLC was pre-Fates, wasn't it? I'm not entirely sure on the release dates of the games, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, IS apparently came to Sakurai and asked him to put Roy in to promote their upcoming game, so he decided to make him a Marth clone.

In the case of Corrin FE Fates had already released in Japan, if I recall correctly.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

This isn't illogical when you consider how production works.

The base game is a multi year long endeavor and production is planned out and budgeted before it starts. A character that will be released two full years after production starts, like Spring Man or Rex, won't be on this project plan, as that's simply too far away for it to be part of the discussion.

DLC, however, is effectively an entirely separate project with its own, far shorter development cycle. DLC generally begins development a month or two before release of the vanilla game, when production is winding down and staff can be moved on to DLC. For Smash, it's theorized we might see the first character in March or April, so about six months to create a character. It's more feasible to include upcoming characters when production lasts 1/6 the time.

Though, for the record, I am not in agreement that Rex is disconfirmed. Not in the slightest.

NineS

Smash Lord
Roy appeared in Smash Bros. Before he appeared in Fire Emblem.
As a result, he technically is a Smash character... Or is he? Not sure how that works.

Corrin, however, appeared in Smash a year after Fates came out.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Roy appeared in Smash Bros. Before he appeared in Fire Emblem.
As a result, he technically is a Smash character... Or is he? Not sure how that works.

Corrin, however, appeared in Smash a year after Fates came out.
While it’s true that Roy made his debut in Melee, he was still made for Fire Emblem. So he’s an FE character.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
NineS NineS does bring up a very interesting Argument though Wiziliz Wiziliz , Roy's first appearance was in Melee as the Advertised FE Rep. Corrin had a few months in Japan before his announcement in Smash 4. Roy is probably the only Smash character to have made his first appearance in Smash and probably the most *"Original" Smash character in the whole roster.

Thus why Master Hand showed up as the boss.

*What i define as Original in Roy's place is in how much he represents to the FE Series and how his future inclusions would sharpen him from Melee, I'd say some of the characteristics of Roy originated from Melee as well. His Voice and whole fast gig.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Smh Sakurai refusing to add the most iconic of the duo. What's Kaneda gonna do? Be a Mach Rider clone?
You can't have "TETSUOOOO" without "KAAANEDAAA" though, they're both very iconic. Tetsuo's making it in as a boss, Kaneda's playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom