• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's the Yoshi Spirits so far...

Don Bongo
Tap-Tap
Yarn Poochy
Stork
Yoshi and Baby Mario
Baby Mario
Yarn Yoshi

7 so far. C'mon Sakurai, you can do more :yoshi:
I'm sure there are more, we've yet to see a few hundred Spirits. (unless the rest are all Pokemon)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm sure there are more, we've yet to see a few hundred Spirits. (unless the rest are all Pokemon)
What's weird is that the Smash Wiki has Yarn Yoshi under "Unclassified," but the blog shows him as an Ace Primary Grab Spirit. That site needs to step up...

Also vanilla Poochy is nowhere to be seen...

osby

Smash Obsessed
What's weird is that the Smash Wiki has Yarn Yoshi under "Unclassified," but the blog shows him as an Ace Primary Grab Spirit. That site needs to step up...

I'm not envying the Smash wiki staff. I can't be fun classifying all those Spirits after the game is out. They'd probably prefer keep writing about Ridley.

hinode

Smash Cadet
So, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman and likely Rathalos and Bomberman are Spirits. As far as we know, Sonic, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Mega Man and Metal Gear got a decent amount. I imagine there are PAC-MAN and Street Fighter Spirits too, but not sure if we saw any.

Any other third party Spirits did I missed?

EDIT: Uh, and Rabbids, I guess.
To answer this comprehensively we need to define exactly what counts as a third party, because they are confirmed spirits from at least two games (The Tower SP and Culdcept Revolt) where Nintendo definately does not own the IP in general, they just published the game. Hell, with The Tower SP Nintendo only appears to have published it in Japan, it was Sega-published in western territories.

Also I have literally never heard of The Tower SP until just now, what a damned obscure thing to reference in Smash.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Because the one you're looking for is actually cookies & cream Poochy. Vanilla Poochy AKA "Boo-chy", is a ghost variant, and therefore hiding from our sight due to shyness.

If we look away, we can see its Spirit.
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 2.29.59 AM.png

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Because the one you're looking for is actually cookies & cream Poochy. Vanilla Poochy AKA "Boo-chy", is a ghost variant, and therefore hiding from our sight due to shyness.

If we look away, we can see its Spirit.
View attachment 178698
Cookies & cream Poochy is in danger of my boi's appetite

Vanilla Poochy knows how to hide :yoshi:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hey I was wondering, is it possible to register the physical version of Ultimate on the computer or tablet in the MyNintendo site. You know in case I wait until after January to get a Switch?

NineS

Smash Lord
But you also realize she’s a massive liar.
With all due respect, what exactly do you have to show for this?

I'm not trying to defend Hitagi, or insist that I believe or don't believe them. But what do you have to go off of this, exactly?
In most cases (such as from anon 4chan posts) it'd be more understandable to blatantly claim this. But to show off your opinion as fact might be a bit much, especially since this leaker has Vergeben's blessing.

Again, not saying to believe Hitagi, and their claims as of late have been increasingly questionable, but we have yet to go off of anything to truly confirm that Hitagi is a liar. And even so, I think the more proper term would probably be incorrect instead of liar. Loz18, aside from E3, was a liar. Hitagi is most definitely a leaker, but also one that can get incorrect information from their sources and give away said incorrect info without truly knowing if it's incorrect other than double checking.

Plus, it comes off as a bit rude to rub your opinion of someone in another's face as fact when we've yet to gather enough information to truly determine whether Hitagi is a liar, a leaker with incorrect sources, or a leaker with miraculously correct sources in Smash. Especially when Graizen is just sharing info he's heard from a semi-reliable source in hopes of adding a bit to discussion.

It would likely be one of the last two either way even then, as to say Hitagi isn't a leaker would require ignoring their track record outside of Smash. It just really matters whether or not what Hitagi has said will happen will come to pass.

The only way to determine whether Hitagi is a liar is if they come out saying they're a liar. However, the way to determine that Hitagi is a leaker with faulty sources is to have someone like Vergeben come fourth and debunk any one of Hitagi's claims, or wait for one of the DLC reps to be revealed.

It's understandable to hold skepticism or disbelief, or merely feel uneasy with believing them. However, to outright claim what one has said is utter lies is something you must have some sort of information to back up with if you're going to wave it around as confirmed, solid, fact.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I've talked about Rex and Pyra multiple times, so at this point I'm just gonna quote what I posted:

Rex was one of my most wanted DLC character, but I have to accept the writing on the wall here.
You are right in that Rex is in a very different scenario than other Mii costume characters.
But unfortunately, that situation is 100% deconfirmation from Sakurai himself.
I would love nothing more than to be wrong on this.
But unless Sakurai literally goes against want he said only a few days before he confirmed the DLC roster's finalization, Rex is not in the Fighters Pass.
I just rewatched the direct again and Sakurai stated verbatim "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which was announced after planning was started."

There...actually isn't anything said here in this sentence that definitively 100% says Sakurai specifically mentioned "the Fighter Pass characters were decided at the same time as the base roster". I'm not knocking you for how you interpreted what he said because it is a logical conclusion to arrive at, just saying the statement was ambiguous enough that you shouldn't go around telling anybody who interprets this statement differently that you factually know anything about when any of the DLC contents were decided especially when Sakurai just tweeted 14 days ago that the DLC line-up was now complete.

Considering past Mii Fighter announcements such as the ones from 4, of characters who were not playable nor ever playable to begin with, it's a bit precarious to treat them like beacons toward things to come. The Inklings and K.Rool in particular were given costumes for Smash 4 DLC. At the time, it was fair to assume that both the costumes and the characters could be playable regardless as the costumes are just cosmetic and other playable characters had their own costumes already. However, that didn't turn out to be the case. If a non-playable character got a costume before their debut, that character is out for good.

Fast foward to Ultimate and we finally get the Inklings and K.Rool in the base roster, but it still took a new game to make it happen. Now put yourself in Sakurai's shoes for a moment and consider the circumstances behind Rex: A costume of him was made DLC for a combination of reasons, first being that he was too late to be made playable either for the base roster or DLC, and the second being that Nintendo did not have faith in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 succeeding. Therefore, the drive (no pun intended) to promote the game even further through Rex might not be there. Second reasoning is the worst case scenario here.

However, there is a silver lining to that very scenario. Assuming our Fighter's Pack does a phenomenal job at sales, this might encourage Nintendo to revisit the idea to pump out even more DLC. At this point, we can speculate the possibility of Assist Trophy upgrades as well as Rex. We would be so far ahead in the development cycle post-release that he would gain his chance at being playable. They would know that Ultimate is the final (good) Smash game and the ultimate (okay...pun definitely intended that time) last chance any character like Rex has at being playable before becoming irrelevant in their eyes. Again, there is no reason to make his Mii Fighter outfit if he's intended to be playable, or even considered to be playable because it would be redundant to do so. At least in this Fighter's Pack. Time will tell what will happen to Rex and the others afterward.
The thing about pretty much every Smash 4 DLC costume, especially the Inkling costume, in comparison to Rex is that they were obviously made long after Smash 4 released and more importantly made after the scheduel for Smash 4 DLC was mostly planned out. The Rex Mii Costume (to reiterate I'm talking about the Mii Costume, not Rex himself) is Day 1 DLC that clearly could have been included in the base roster along with every other hopeful that ended up as a Mii Costume but for whatever reason is instead included as a free bonus for the 25$ fighting pass despite being a "consolation prize" (and not Piranha Plant who'd obviously be a much more enticing carrot to include with the pass) which is an unusual bit of ****ery coming from someone like Sakurai who historically goes out of his way to cram his games full of content, made it a point to dissuade people from buying the fighter pass if they weren't 100% confident, and in general is the complete opposite of the "cut **** out and sell it as DLC" ****ery that you see from big AAA publishers.

Yes you can conclude it means nothing except Nintendo/Sakurai wanting to dangle a carrot in front of a specific not all that huge niche fanbase so a few of them would pony up 25 bucks for the pass while not giving them the character they asked for. I find it weird simply because its both uncharacteristic of Sakurai but also tame as **** since they obviously could have used the Plant.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
You would be surprised by just how much money is made off of blind season pass purchases. People who are convinced they'll like a game and have the extra money drop it on preorder DLC much more often than you'd think.

It's a miracle Nintendo hasn't hopped aboard the "pay us up front before we make it" train before now.
As I said, some unfortuantely will, and they get only themselves to blame for keeping that practice alive. Companies (in our case Nintendo) look for that Fighter's Pass sale more than indivisual DLC sales. Sure it a blind sale would make money, but an informed one makes much more. Not only that, but it gives a much needed early indications.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This got posted. It's an introduction video.

NEW INFORMATION

-Roy's classic final boss is Master Hand.
-Boney Spirit
-Another Petey Piranha Spirit
-Alternate Kirby Spirit
-Marx Spirit

Last edited:
I better see all 799 non playable Pokemon as Spirits.
Every. Single. One.
Can't wait to use Wobbuffet's spirit: All your specials are replaced by counters and you can't use your attack, you can't jump or shield anymore. :p

Here's the Yoshi Spirits so far...

Don Bongo
Tap-Tap
Yarn Poochy
Stork
Yoshi and Baby Mario
Baby Mario
Yarn Yoshi

7 so far. C'mon Sakurai, you can do more :yoshi:
Man! Kamek needs to be there.

NineS

Smash Lord
I just rewatched the direct again and Sakurai stated verbatim "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which was announced after planning was started."

There...actually isn't anything said here in this sentence that definitively 100% says Sakurai specifically mentioned "the Fighter Pass characters were decided at the same time as the base roster". I'm not knocking you for how you interpreted what he said because it is a logical conclusion to arrive at, just saying the statement was ambiguous enough that you shouldn't go around telling anybody who interprets this statement differently that you factually know anything about when any of the DLC contents were decided especially when Sakurai just tweeted 14 days ago that the DLC line-up was now complete.

The thing about pretty much every Smash 4 DLC costume, especially the Inkling costume, in comparison to Rex is that they were obviously made long after Smash 4 released and more importantly made after the scheduel for Smash 4 DLC was mostly planned out. The Rex Mii Costume (to reiterate I'm talking about the Mii Costume, not Rex himself) is Day 1 DLC that clearly could have been included in the base roster along with every other hopeful that ended up as a Mii Costume but for whatever reason is instead included as a free bonus for the 25$ fighting pass despite being a "consolation prize" (and not Piranha Plant who'd obviously be a much more enticing carrot to include with the pass) which is an unusual bit of ****ery coming from someone like Sakurai who historically goes out of his way to cram his games full of content, made it a point to dissuade people from buying the fighter pass if they weren't 100% confident, and in general is the complete opposite of the "cut **** out and sell it as DLC" ****ery that you see from big AAA publishers.

Yes you can conclude it means nothing except Nintendo/Sakurai wanting to dangle a carrot in front of a specific not all that huge niche fanbase so a few of them would pony up 25 bucks for the pass while not giving them the character they asked for. I find it weird simply because its both uncharacteristic of Sakurai but also tame as **** since they obviously could have used the Plant.
At this point, I wouldn't think too deeply about Nintendo/Sakurai's logic. It's no secret that they tend to be unpredictable at times, to the point leakers themselves have a hard time believing some of the accurate, valid leaks they've put out.

I will say that, I think there is a chance for Rex to be DLC. In another Fighter's pass/batch of DLC.
However, I do not think there is a chance that Rex will be DLC in the fighter's pass. Not our current one. The simple reasoning is that, A free Rex mii costume is bundled along with it. It truly is a consolation prize for fans of Rex, without sugar coating it. Due to this, it is a safe assumption to make that Xenoblade 2 Characters of any sort will not be in the fighter's pass either, although it is more possible and likely that anyone besides Rex from XC2 can make it in the Fighter's pass. But unlikely.

But if you're going to want to talk about dangling a carrot in front of fanbases, you've got Golden Sun fans, Rhythm Heaven Fans, Shovel Knight fans, and most importantly, Waluigi fans. Niche, but still very vocal, is Geno's fans.

Do not expect that due to the fact that they "could have", it means that they would have. The question is never that could they, but rather, would they?

The Rex Mii outfit clearly shows that, if it were up to Sakurai, Rex would be in Smash as, at the very least, a DLC character in the Fighter's Pass. However, due to the fact that he most likely cannot for whatever reason, he put in a mii outfit to hold the fans off or appease them until then in a similar manner to the Isabelle, Heihachi, K. Rool, Geno, etc. Mii outfits that were DLC during Smash 4. It wouldn't be a shock to hear that he's doing the same strategy here, considering Ultimate was being planned before the DLC for Smash 4 was even finished being released and updated.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Can't wait to use Wobbuffet's spirit: All your specials are replaced by counters and you can't use your attack, you can't jump or shield anymore. :p

Man! Kamek needs to be there.
I checked, Kamek is not listed in the Mario section either...

Though Shy Guy is listed under that section, and I don't think it's been confirmed to be under the Mario series and NOT Yoshi...

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I don't know if they will announce all of them. I can see what you are saying, and it would help them in helping ease peoples worries in buying the fighters pass. However if they follow other fighting games on how they do season pass or fighters pass, they generally do not reveal all of the characters. Examples of this is Dragon Ball Fighterz, Tekken, and Injustice 2. So its most likely Nintendo will follow this pattern that previous fighting games have established. I do hope your theory of them releasing the information of all the fighters beforehand comes true.

I just would not be surprised at all if FE Three Houses gets a rep, I understand why you and many wouldn't want another FE rep. However if we follow Nintendo is behind the decision making I would not be surprised at all if they add a FE Three Houses rep. I think it was a mistake in that they added so many sword FE reps, they did not diversify in their choosing. Its true Robin and Corrin play differently, but had they added an axe user like Hector people might be more forgiving. Or had they added a villain, it would have made more sense. Thats why I think if FE Three Houses gets a rep it will be Edelgard as Nintendo might be wise to the FE rep fatigue, but still want a FE Three Houses rep.

I honestly would not be surprised, if we only get two pieces of music with the Square character. With the news that Midgar only has two songs, I really hope we can unlock more FF music, otherwise that is very disappointing. There were SF spirits shown such as M. Bison, Sagat, Blanka, Dhalism, Balrog etc. So the fact that FF hasn't had any Spirits is a bit concerning. Agree its exciting to see how Smash composers handle other composers work. I do love some Megaman music especially Zero's theme. I agree FE music has a way of getting you pumped, I think its because it usually uses acoustic guitar. There's something about the Spanish acoustic guitar that gets you excited. And agree I love that part of Apocalypis Noctis in Tekken 7, that Spanish acoustic was incredibly beautiful. This is the type of rendition I hope to hear more of in Smash Ultimate. And I agree 28hrs of music pre DLC releases, is something incredible can't wait.
Nothing to ease here, they're the ones who need to worry about how to claim my money. The thing is with all other fighting games is that they circle around a single universe, the game universe itself. Smash however is not. For example, if we talk Dragon Ball, we do inherently accept all fighters from that universe. Because any would surely fit and be awesome. But say a new DLC came up with a chance of Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse, Steve.. etc. to be playable. Would any DB fan throw his/her money on that blind DLC? I don't think so. I don't care of saving $5 on that Fighter's Pass, I might save myself more for charcaters that I don't like or wish to play.

That would be nauseating. If that happenes, I hope people make a point with their wallets. Again, I still stand on my weapon view, at least to me personally, it doesn't make a fighter, I'll still look at it as another FE character that I don't need. What a bad call it would be if that happenes. From a celebration of multi-universe fighting game to a mere sales point. It's their ship, they can sink it whenever and however they choose.

No one would buy a DLC with two pieces, that character must be REALLY good or well demanded for that to happen (if ever).

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
[Rex fan coolly approaches]

Carter, I was a Rex/Xenoblade 2 Rep supporter for this game. Sakurai specifically stated that he could not include Rex in the game at all. The Mii outfit is a consolation award for him missing the deadline. There is no point in making the costume just for Rex, even as a hypothetical "bonus". There is redundancy behind the whole ordeal if we look at it through your goggles.

Now in regards to future DLC beyond the 5 we are getting, I can see there being an upgrade or two provided the incentive is there. It would be a stupid stipulation to keep Rex unplayable after a Season 2 pack just because of his Mii Fighter status. By then, Sakurai should have the freedom to include him (or just a Xenoblade 2 rep) on his own volition. Even Spring Man has a shot, provided he becomes one of the first ever "Assist Trophy Upgrades".
I still really don't get how Rex was evidently 'too late' when Sakurai said that the DLC characters had only recently been finalized..Is he or Nintendo really that anal about roster picks even before they are finalized? Its just so weird..

NineS

Smash Lord
I still really don't get how Rex was evidently 'too late' when Sakurai said that the DLC characters had only recently been finalized..Is he or Nintendo really that anal about roster picks even before they are finalized? Its just so weird..
Admittedly, that bit has confused me as well.
There's the chance that he was referring to the base roster, but even then, with the existence of Rex's mii outfit as a free bonus to the Fighters' pass, Rex not being any of the DLC characters in the fighters' pass is the most likely outcome at this point. Perhaps in future DLC outside of the Fighters' pass, but most certainly not in the Fighters' pass solely because of the Mii Outfit being a bonus.

I checked, Kamek is not listed in the Mario section either...

Though Shy Guy is listed under that section, and I don't think it's been confirmed to be under the Mario series and NOT Yoshi...
Well that's a shame... and why putting Shy Guy in the Mario section? I mean last time there was a Shy Guy in a non-spinoff Mario game was in 1988... and they're like the goombas of the Yoshi series... *tsk tsk tsk* :p

Is there a list of all spirits on the site or someone made one based on all the footage?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well that's a shame... and why putting Shy Guy in the Mario section? I mean last time there was a Shy Guy in a non-spinoff Mario game was in 1988... and they're like the goombas of the Yoshi series... *tsk tsk tsk* :p

Is there a list of all spirits on the site or someone made one based on all the footage?
I think Gamexplain did a video but it's already outdated since we got stuff like Parasite Queen or Halbert.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

The Smash Wiki put Shy Guy under Mario, but I'm not sure if the Spirit is actually classified as such or is under Yoshi. Anyways, the Wiki has compiled over 500 Spirits, that's where I'm getting this...

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Smash Wiki put Shy Guy under Mario, but I'm not sure if the Spirit is actually classified as such or is under Yoshi. Anyways, the Wiki has compiled over 500 Spirits, that's where I'm getting this...
Does the wiki have a list? I couldn't find it.

D

Deleted member

Thanks! Unsurprisingly, Pokemon and Fire Emblem got a lot of Spirits.
What doesn't Fire Emblem get a lot of tbh but im happy Sonic got at least 2 i care about [Silver and Medal Sonic]

Last edited by a moderator:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
The fact that recent characters such as Rex and Springman seem to be deconfirmed despite huge fan demand is what's leading me to believe Sakurai's tweet was only meant to tell us the line up was complete, not that it was completed just that very instant. There's absolutely no way I could see Nintendo skipping out on those two when they would obviously sell like hot cakes while simultaneously promoting recent games. It would be incredibly odd in the first place to announce a fighter pass, knowing the pre order bonus along with a free character update, while not knowing it's contents.
We are talking about the tweet, right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
What doesn't Fire Emblem get a lot of tbh but im happy Sonic got at least 2[Silver and Medal Sonic]
I have no idea what you said before Sonic. Also Sonic got more: Amy, Tails, Big, Rouge etc.

Well I'll be damned. There's a very real Wobbuffet spirit... i joked about it like 30 min ago... joke's on me now counter joke i guess...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well I'll be damned. There's a very real Wobbuffet spirit... i joked about it like 30 min ago... joke's on me now counter joke i guess...
I'm like 90% sure every single Pokemon will be a Spirit.

That means I can finally get my all time favorites in Smash (I already got Psyduck).

NineS

Smash Lord
Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
He's lamenting how Fire Emblem gets a lot of everything...

Which is only true for fighters and Spirits, but it has 3 stages, 3 ATs and just got its first item...
That goes without saying, that franchise got a lot of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom