• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
An assist meter where you get to pick any of the ATs and that character you chose can pop up when your meter is full?

God, I'd love that, it'd make them slightly more bearable if you're still salty about your most wanted.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If an FFX rep gets in, it has to be Grand Wizard Wakkka
His Final Smash is the Final Solution Act 2: Al Bhed Breaker. In Which the rain of Blitzballs will "cleanse the gene pool" as Wakka would put it.

So Rayman was found as a spirit, how do we feel about that?
Same as Shantae. It's pretty neat. Though I don't know if it'll amount to anything or leave him out of the running.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I just want to add that as a Wario Land fan, I'm very appreciative that we got so many Wario spirits that aren't solely from WarioWare this time. I love WarioWare but it never felt right to me that we never got a single trophy in either Brawl or Smash 4 that referenced Wario Land / World / Master of Disguise. I was anxious about it for Ultimate as well because the Flashback for Wario merely promoted WarioWare Gold, but I'm do glad that's not the case.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not necessarily.
Them talking ABOUT Cloud shouldn't be too difficult.
Just don't mention other characters by name.

"Snake, that's Cloud. He comes from Midgar, and helps [REDACTED] in fighting Shinra. His nemesis is [REDACTED] Because [REDACTED] killed [REDACTED] in front of Cloud's eyes."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Rayman?
Shantae?

there's no sans spirit so i'm utterly disappointed and i assume japan follows suit

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If Undertale gets any representation in Ultimate in the form of Spirits, I'll be happy tbh. I don't think they'd go with solely Sans though, that's too meme-y. They'll at least include the protagonist and maybe Flowey, or them plus the other seven important Undertale NPCs (Toriel, Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, Alphys, Mettaton, and Asgore).

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Undertale gets any representation in Ultimate in the form of Spirits, I'll be happy tbh. I don't think they'd go with solely Sans though, that's too meme-y. They'll at least include the protagonist and maybe Flowey, or them plus the other seven important Undertale NPCs (Toriel, Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, Alphys, Mettaton, and Asgore).
If additional Spirits were added as free updates through the DLC period. A Flowey spirit for Piranha Plant would work nicely.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
[Rex fan coolly approaches]

Carter, I was a Rex/Xenoblade 2 Rep supporter for this game. Sakurai specifically stated that he could not include Rex in the game at all.
Just featuring Rex's costume alongside the rest of the runner up brigade like Chibi-Robo, Ribbon Girl, and Ray would have been a clear message and was the standard operating procedure with every other major disconfirmation during this whole pre-release cycle. If Rex is simply a consolation prize like everyone else then why is he 1) not base roster like every other consolation prize & 2) not free like Piranha Plant?

The Mii outfit is a consolation award for him missing the deadline. There is no point in making the costume just for Rex, even as a hypothetical "bonus". There is redundancy behind the whole ordeal if we look at it through your goggles.
You folks really need to understand what a ****ing "consolation reward" is. It's not a consolation reward when you demanding people pay 25 dollars at worst for it when you're giving every other brand new Mii Costume away as base content. I don't care that Sakurai said it was a consolation prize because Sakurai knows that's the worst consolation prize ever. Now whether Sakurai/Nintendo don't give a **** and just made a point of screwing over Rex fans (and for whatever reason only Rex fans) or if it means anything more I don't know and am not even going to pretend like I do but regardless of whatever conclusion you reach actually acknowledge that the whole thing with the Rex costume is unusual and not in anyway comparable to other deconfirmations like Spring Man, Lip, or Chibi-Robo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In light of the Death of Fallout, lemme pour one out for them, and also **** on the people who think Ultimate is still a port.

Imagine using the same engine for all your games.
This post was made by Sakurai Gang.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What AT bosses/battles are you hoping for?

For me? Anything with Isaac, Waluigi, and Spring-Man involved cause while it absolutely sucks they're not in, at least it'll nice to see them in action for more than 15 seconds.

I'd bring up Shadow too but he effects the characters rather then direct combat so I doubt he'll be a KO-able one.
I don't see any humanoid sized character being a boss battle.

Being a boss pretty much means having a fairly complete moveset. If they have a complete moveset, and are playable character sized, why wouldn't they have just made them playable characters?

I expect all the bosses are going to be characters that are too large/immobile to have been playble characters.

As for which ATs might also be bosses? My guesses are:
Mother Brain
Nightmare
Maybe Andross, but I don't think the AT Andross would be a boss
Dr. Wily's AT my harass you while you fight Yellow Devil, or maybe he'll have a Wily Machine
I could see Skull Kid if he has a phase 2 where he turns into Majora

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman and likely Rathalos and Bomberman are Spirits. As far as we know, Sonic, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Mega Man and Metal Gear got a decent amount. I imagine there are PAC-MAN and Street Fighter Spirits too, but not sure if we saw any.

Any other third party Spirits did I missed?

EDIT: Uh, and Rabbids, I guess.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So for mods, do you guys want Street Fighter 2010 Ken? Violent Ken would be great too, but he NEEDS the Afro.

So, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman and likely Rathalos and Bomberman are Spirits. As far as we know, Sonic, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Mega Man and Metal Gear got a decent amount. I imagine there are PAC-MAN and Street Fighter Spirits too, but not sure if we saw any.

Sagat's a Spirit, we know that for a fact(better fight him as a Captain Falcon that spams Knees). I think Chun-Li was used as a Spirit on ZSS.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Just featuring Rex's costume alongside the rest of the runner up brigade like Chibi-Robo, Ribbon Girl, and Ray would have been a clear message and was the standard operating procedure with every other major disconfirmation during this whole pre-release cycle. If Rex is simply a consolation prize like everyone else then why is he 1) not base roster like every other consolation prize & 2) not free like Piranha Plant?

You folks really need to understand what a ****ing "consolation reward" is. It's not a consolation reward when you demanding people pay 25 dollars at worst for it when you're giving every other brand new Mii Costume away as base content. I don't care that Sakurai said it was a consolation prize because Sakurai knows that's the worst consolation prize ever. Now whether Sakurai/Nintendo don't give a **** and just made a point of screwing over Rex fans (and for whatever reason only Rex fans) or if it means anything more I don't know and am not even going to pretend like I do but regardless of whatever conclusion you reach actually acknowledge that the whole thing with the Rex costume is unusual and not in anyway comparable to other deconfirmations like Spring Man, Lip, or Chibi-Robo.
I've talked about Rex and Pyra multiple times, so at this point I'm just gonna quote what I posted:
At 32:06 in the direct Sakurai literally says:
"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announce after planning had started"

The text underneath him while he's saying this: While Rex didn't quite make the roster
Look I really wanted Rex as DLC, but this the most blatant deconfirmation you can get.
Rex was one of my most wanted DLC character, but I have to accept the writing on the wall here.
You are right in that Rex is in a very different scenario than other Mii costume characters.
But unfortunately, that situation is 100% deconfirmation from Sakurai himself.
I would love nothing more than to be wrong on this.
But unless Sakurai literally goes against what he said only a few days before he confirmed the DLC roster's finalization, Rex is not in the Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Considering past Mii Fighter announcements such as the ones from 4, of characters who were not playable nor ever playable to begin with, it's a bit precarious to treat them like beacons toward things to come. The Inklings and K.Rool in particular were given costumes for Smash 4 DLC. At the time, it was fair to assume that both the costumes and the characters could be playable regardless as the costumes are just cosmetic and other playable characters had their own costumes already. However, that didn't turn out to be the case. If a non-playable character got a costume before their debut, that character is out for good.

Fast foward to Ultimate and we finally get the Inklings and K.Rool in the base roster, but it still took a new game to make it happen. Now put yourself in Sakurai's shoes for a moment and consider the circumstances behind Rex: A costume of him was made DLC for a combination of reasons, first being that he was too late to be made playable either for the base roster or DLC, and the second being that Nintendo did not have faith in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 succeeding. Therefore, the drive (no pun intended) to promote the game even further through Rex might not be there. Second reasoning is the worst case scenario here.

However, there is a silver lining to that very scenario. Assuming our Fighter's Pack does a phenomenal job at sales, this might encourage Nintendo to revisit the idea to pump out even more DLC. At this point, we can speculate the possibility of Assist Trophy upgrades as well as Rex. We would be so far ahead in the development cycle post-release that he would gain his chance at being playable. They would know that Ultimate is the final (good) Smash game and the ultimate (okay...pun definitely intended that time) last chance any character like Rex has at being playable before becoming irrelevant in their eyes. Again, there is no reason to make his Mii Fighter outfit if he's intended to be playable, or even considered to be playable because it would be redundant to do so. At least in this Fighter's Pack. Time will tell what will happen to Rex and the others afterward.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Oh, don't mind me, just preparing the warning sign for all the guys that want to get into discussing their characters' chances of getting in.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
In light of the Death of Fallout, lemme pour one out for them, and also **** on the people who think Ultimate is still a port.

Imagine using the same engine for all your games.
This post was made by Sakurai Gang.
Mario Odyssey is using the same SEAD engine Mario Galaxy used. There's nothing wrong with using the same engine for a decade, if the engine is actually good.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Considering past Mii Fighter announcements such as the ones from 4, of characters who were not playable nor ever playable to begin with, it's a bit precarious to treat them like beacons toward things to come. The Inklings and K.Rool in particular were given costumes for Smash 4 DLC. At the time, it was fair to assume that both the costumes and the characters could be playable regardless as the costumes are just cosmetic and other playable characters had their own costumes already. However, that didn't turn out to be the case. If a non-playable character got a costume before their debut, that character is out for good.

Fast foward to Ultimate and we finally get the Inklings and K.Rool in the base roster, but it still took a new game to make it happen. Now put yourself in Sakurai's shoes for a moment and consider the circumstances behind Rex: A costume of him was made DLC for a combination of reasons, first being that he was too late to be made playable either for the base roster or DLC, and the second being that Nintendo did not have faith in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 succeeding. Therefore, the drive (no pun intended) to promote the game even further through Rex might not be there. Second reasoning is the worst case scenario here.

However, there is a silver lining to that very scenario. Assuming our Fighter's Pack does a phenomenal job at sales, this might encourage Nintendo to revisit the idea to pump out even more DLC. At this point, we can speculate the possibility of Assist Trophy upgrades as well as Rex. We would be so far ahead in the development cycle post-release that he would gain his chance at being playable. They would know that Ultimate is the final (good) Smash game and the ultimate (okay...pun definitely intended that time) last chance any character like Rex has at being playable before becoming irrelevant in their eyes. Again, there is no reason to make his Mii Fighter outfit if he's intended to be playable, or even considered to be playable because it would be redundant to do so. At least in this Fighter's Pack. Time will tell what will happen to Rex and the others afterward.
At least Rex and Spring Man have pretty good chances for a potential future Smash game... I hope...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Oh, don't mind me, just preparing the warning sign for all the guys that want to get into discussing their characters' chances of getting in.
So you're telling me that this is what Hell looks like?
Flamewar.gif

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord

EDIT: Uh, and Rabbids, I guess.
Dan Hibiki is a Spirit for Ken

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yup. Hell on earth nestled here in our discussion forum.
View attachment 178696
Ahhh, speaking of this brimstone of a fandom, it seems like we'll be reaching over 9000 of those pages as you mentioned some 100 pages ago. How about that, you psychic you! I bet you sold your soul to devil to see into the- oh wait...
kappa.png

At least Rex and Spring Man have pretty good chances for a potential future Smash game... I hope...
The pessimist in me says Rex and Spring Man either:
1. Get confirmed for the worst Smash sequel ever (i.e. a reboot with a ton of cuts therefore smaller fanbase gatherings)
2. Get forgotten/given the Isaac treatment for being "irrelevant" to Nintendo

It's a lose-lose. I want my inevitable Smash reboot to be Namco vs. Sega vs. Nintendo vs. Capcom instead.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ahhh, speaking of this brimstone of a fandom, it seems like we'll be reaching over 9000 of those pages as you mentioned some 100 pages ago. How about that, you psychic you! I bet you sold your soul to devil to see into the- oh wait...
View attachment 178697

The pessimist in me says Rex and Spring Man either:
1. Get confirmed for the worst Smash sequel ever (i.e. a reboot with a ton of cuts therefore smaller fanbase gatherings)
2. Get forgotten/given the Isaac treatment for being "irrelevant" to Nintendo

It's a lose-lose. I want my inevitable Smash reboot to be Namco vs. Sega vs. Nintendo vs. Capcom instead.
I doubt they are forgotten or considered irrelevant, but we'll see.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I doubt they are forgotten or considered irrelevant, but we'll see.
No no, I meant by the time Smash 6 would/could be announced. Assuming it would take us about a decade to see another sequel, Nintendo (and Sakurai) would rather focus on completely different characters. Who knows? Monolithsoft might have different protagonists from different in-house games that have little relation to the Xenoblade Chronicles games ala Xenosaga and Xenogears? It's stuff like that. As for Spring Man, unless Nintendo pushes for an ARMS sequel and future touchups to the IP, it's dead in the water, at least for Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No no, I meant by the time Smash 6 would/could be announced. Assuming it would take us about a decade to see another sequel, Nintendo (and Sakurai) would rather focus on completely different characters. Who knows? Monolithsoft might have different protagonists from different in-house games that have little relation to the Xenoblade Chronicles games ala Xenosaga and Xenogears? It's stuff like that. As for Spring Man, unless Nintendo pushes for an ARMS sequel and future touchups to the IP, it's dead in the water, at least for Smash.
Or maybe they'll go the Final Fantasy route and give us...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2-2

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I had a realization that Deathborn has no spirit in the game despite the fact that he literally was a trophy in Smash 4. There’s also a lot of obscure spirits as well... so I have no ideal if it does mean that...

He is real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom