• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
From my experiences dealing with the same type of **** from people who have something against Sora in Smash they never actually have anything to say and are only saying it because it conflicts with whatever character they want instead. What I'm trying to get at is just ignore they're already biased there's no arguing with people like that.
Sometimes is hard.
This is the first time i talk about Agumon in Smash here for the past 10 days.
And people talk **** about him for no reason.

Please come here with facts about how Agumon has no chance.

D

Deleted member

Tots we ain't even seen the full track list
Do you really expect anything less from Xenoblade after Smash For where we kinda got really ****ing jipped? I'm kinda just ready to see that's all we get, if I'm gonn be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I do think that Geno not being in base could hypothetically maybe be a little explained by the fact that Squenix is just...so damn stingy.

No matter WHO it was their second rep would be DLC.

What y'all think?
That, and Square may not have wanted to play second fiddle to Castlevania and Konami. Snake (returning), Simon, and Richter were the only major 3rd fighters added to the roster. Even if Geno was included, he would've been overshadowed by Castlevania not only for his overall obscurity as a character but also because he would've probably lacked a new stage like Ridley and K. Rool. Just speculating, though. Since Geno is obscure to general audiences, having him kinda stand out as an individual DLC fighter might give him some breathing room for people to be like, "Oh he's on my SNES Classic."

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Could you perhaps try "realism"?
I've tried it. It's fantastic. It doesn't crush other's souls as much as pessimism, and it doesn't crush your own soul as much as optimist.

I speak from experience. Because, at one point, I too was once extremely optimistic for a few years. Then extremely pessimistic... Now Realism fits me best.

I don't get why everyone keeps calling Squenix Stingy. Is it because of the music thing?
They've recently seemed to be pretty gracious when it comes to crossovers.

Granting, considering DLC is something they'll make money out of, it'll probably have to be a character they've really been pushing for or really want to push for in marketing.
Note who's DLC in SC6

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, favorite quote from any appearance a Smash Bros character is in...

Ready, GO!

"TAKE ME TO YOUR MASTER!" -Simon

"KING KAY ROOL, professional bad guy!" -K. Rool
You probably expected something deep, but this legitimately made me laugh.
Ike People.jpg

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. Sakurai already has image rights to Geno otherwise he'd have nothing in the game. They'd be no icons, Spirit, costume, anything.

If Square didn't want him using Geno at all they wouldn't be allowing the things they're allowing now. And considering how much Sakurai is aware of his demand, why would he leave all these breadcrumbs if they said no about him being playable?

The situation doesn't add up.

Something is going on there, and I'm not entirely convinced it's pessimistic like you perceive it to be.

''Here take the image rights to this character, we don't mind, but don't do the thing that will make us the most money off you having them."
Smartest post I've seen for Geno as DLC so far actually

I just don't get why he'd be a Spirit in base if planned for DLC. Why intentionally have duplicate spirits

That, and Square may not have wanted to play second fiddle to Castlevania and Konami. Snake (returning), Simon, and Richter were the only major 3rd fighters added to the roster. Even if Geno was included, he would've been overshadowed by Castlevania not only for his overall obscurity as a character but also because he would've probably lacked a new stage like Ridley and K. Rool. Just speculating, though. Since he is obscure to general audiences, having him kinda stand out as an individual DLC fighter might give him some breathing room for people to be like, "Oh he's on my SNES Classic."
Also smart as ****
What's your icon? A Geno gijinka? I'm in love

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

StormC

Smash Hero
if Banjo-Kazooie is included, I'll stand out by the store for four hours to get the N64 mini like I did with the SNES mini even if it's the inferior N64 version.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman

Here’s a video about the Stage Hazards Turn Off. So far, some stages didn’t need much change but others could end up being for Tournaments since would be awesome to watch other stages besides Animal Crossing. What’s you’re guys thoughts on the stages with hazards off?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Thank you for taking the time to write all this out. It was very informative. The characters actually sound fairly unique and fleshed-out.

Shame they have to have such poor character designs. I haven't played any of the Xeno games, but Xenoblade Chronicles and whatever the Wii U game was called (I forget) both seemed to have okay designs. Wonder why this one had to be so bizarre.
Well funnily enough, you could dress up the characters in the first game with goofy and over-the-top designs as well. Obviously however, they don't get artwork for that. It's so bad, you can see all manner of shoulder spikes clipping through their heads and body parts, and if you don't like Rex's default outfit, worry not. He gets one much later that looks way better while keeping his diver suit aesthetic somewhat. Because it's spoiler territory, I recommend you look with discretion in mind:

kylexv

Smash Master
People are using a tier list from, like, a few days worth of footage, but I'll see how the characters I want to play a faring so far:

• :ultmario:: Still looking pretty good, but not as much so as Smash 4. I always preferred Doc, but....
  • :ultdoc:: Another game where Doc does not seem that good. RIP.
  • :ultbowser:: Dang, looks like he got hit pretty hard this time.
  • :ultmarth:: Still good as always
  • :ultlucina:: See Marth, but I usually prefer Marth over her.
  • :ultroy:: SO glad Roy is actually decent now. Definitely planning on trying him out.
  • :ultmewtwo:: Still good. Cool
  • :ultyounglink:: Originally not interested in him, but, holy crap, he is looking so fun to play.
  • :ultridley:: the big boi better not be bottom 5

D

Deleted member

Do you really expect anything less from Xenoblade after Smash For where we kinda got really ****ing jipped? I'm kinda just ready to see that's all we get, if I'm gonn be honest.
Never forget Xenoblade didn't get a single full remix but Baten Kaitos did get one in the ****ing Xenoblade stage(not that I dislike it though, Valedictory Elegy is ****ing amazing)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Ready, GO!

"Mankind ill-needs a savior such as you!"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That, and Square may not have wanted to play second fiddle to Castlevania and Konami. Snake (returning), Simon, and Richter were the only major 3rd fighters added to the roster. Even if Geno was included, he would've been overshadowed by Castlevania not only for his overall obscurity as a character but also because he would've probably lacked a new stage like Ridley and K. Rool. Just speculating, though. Since he is obscure to general audiences, having him kinda stand out as an individual DLC fighter might give him some breathing room for people to be like, "Oh he's on my SNES Classic."
Meanwhile, Sega and Namco seem okay with their big boys sitting pretty alone at the moment.

Well, okay, Pac-Man really only has Ms. Pac-Man as a viable secondary character, but still.

D

Deleted member

Do you really expect anything less from Xenoblade after Smash For where we kinda got really ****ing jipped?
I mean, I love Xenoblade's soundtrack, and have maxed out the number of songs I can fit on Gaur Plain in my Smash 4 modpack, but I really don't think we got jipped at all. We got most of the best songs in the game, and the only real issue I had was that One Who Gets In Our Way and Engage the Enemy were shortened. At Smash 4's release, Xenoblade was only a single game, so 7 songs seems fair.

I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get any new songs from XB1 this time around, but I'll live. At least Xenoblade has its battle themes unlike EarthBound

NineS

Smash Lord
Agreed, especially on the matter of what is "eligible."

We ought be wary of labeling newer elements as deconfirmation in the same vein as Assist Trophies. We can assume with a reasonable degree of certainty that ATs will not also be Playable due to such an event never occurring throughout multiple sequels, which established a clear and consistent pattern. Due to this observation -though nothing says an AT can't be a fighter, and the possibility of it happening does technically exist- it's "safe" to consider such an occurrence statistically improbable, making ATs the closest we have to "Hard" deconfirmation.

The same can't be said of Mii Costumes. There are already several examples of playable fighters with costumes, such as Fox, Captain Falcon, and Link. Of course, one can argue that no character has had a Mii Costume before being added as DLC, but that's much shakier ground to stand on. While the claim is not untrue, there have currently only been 7 DLC fighters added in Smash post-Mii Costumes, so it has an incredibly small sample size to draw a conclusion from. We also do not yet know if the Inkling, Isabelle, and King K. Rool costumes have been removed, which adds further ambiguity to the idea. So then, the most compelling argument we have for "Mii Costumes won't be added for future DLC characters" is the idea that it would be at least a little strange to spend resources to develop a Mii Costume entirely as a temporary holdover. That argument still holds water, of course, but I would consider it more of a "Soft" deconfirmation, as it diminishes odds, but does not seem sensible to assume it entirely removes characters from the running.

Spirits, on the other hand, are a complete unknown that we simply do not know enough about to make calls any which way on. Assist Trophies, Mii Fighter Costumes, Pokeball Pokemon, Stage Hazards, etc have Spirits. Even if we assume a complete absence of playable fighter Spirits, until we actually get DLC in a post-Spirits world, we have no frame of reference by which to ascertain their capacity as a deconfirmation notice.

P.S.: I appear to have missed a long conversation about KOS-MOS two days ago; woe is me.
Hello there, KOS-MOS supporting logical stranger.
Because of this post, I would like to announce

I now support KOS-MOS for Smash. Besides, I'll take whatever androids I can get.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Ready, GO!

“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”-Mewtwo

W O O M Y-Inkling

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
looks way better
Lol, I actually prefer the older one.
I actually think this one is a bit over-designed and has too much geometry and light going on.

(Which yes, is ironic coming from a guy with an avi of a shirtless dude with glow-in-the-dark geometry tattoos.)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I just don't get why he'd be a Spirit in base if planned for DLC. Why intentionally have duplicate spirits
I mean why intentionally have two Mewtwos or two Lucas trophies? It's the same ordeal. To be fair if he's DLC? He's going to have an updated look anyways, so they won't even be identical at the end of the day.

NineS

Smash Lord
Note who's DLC in SC6
Yeah, and with music, and a stage that has tons of characters of their own game hidden around as easter eggs, along with more incoming music, accessories, Emil, etc.

That's pretty generous of them, wouldn't you say?

Then you've also got Tekken, Noctis.
Doing multiple crossovers lately with their own characters in other companies franchises, etc...

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Ready, GO!

:ultrichter:"Die monster! You don't belong in this world"
:ultkingdedede:"I need a monstah to clobbeh that there Kirby"
:ultyounglink:"Skraaa!"
:ultfalcon:"Falcoooonn PAWWWNNCH!!"
:ultinkling:"Woomy"
:ultluigi:"That's mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*!"
:ultsonic:"You're too slow!"
:ultwolf:"Can't let you do that, Star Fox"
:ultdk:"Bannana Slamma!"
:ultmario:"Nice of the princess to invite us over for a picnic, eh Luigi?
:ultlink:"Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!"
:ultshulk:"I'm really feeling it!"

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean why intentionally have two Mewtwos or two Lucas trophies? It's the same ordeal. To be fair if he's DLC? He's going to have an updated look anyways, so they won't even be identical at the end of the day.
2488b1bf-7378-4f27-a887-1673ec2d966a_screenshot.jpg

I'm not strong enough to hope again Fisher
I just want our Squenix suffering to end soon

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Ready, GO!

:ultpalutena: "Every warrior knows that cowardice is the foundation upon which victory is built."

Kirby probably goes to Palutena for advice if World of Light is anything to go by.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I know that people are kind of still surpirised that cute characters can fight against monsters, and more mature characters, but I'm pretty sure that's it's also kind of shocking that a characters from series that has the themes and stories of a fairy tale (Mario, Kirby, Ness, K. Rool) can go up against characters who have complicated themes, stories, and complex personalites that you would otherwise won't see (Lucas, Snake, Samus). It's like the Jonathan Joestar Vs. Johnny Joestar matchup, one's one-noted and the other is more grey, and even a bit complicated in their tone.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, and with music, and a stage that has tons of characters of their own game hidden around as easter eggs, along with more incoming music, accessories, Emil, etc.

That's pretty generous of them, wouldn't you say?

Then you've also got Tekken, Noctis.
Doing multiple crossovers lately with their own characters in other companies franchises, etc...
DLC...DLC...DLC...

My point here, is that their characters have all been DLC.
Stingy was the wrong word. But notice how none of these characters you listed were in base? All DLC.
They'll include some bells and zippers, but notice how they're all DLC.

owjies

Smash Journeyman

Also smart as ****
What's your icon? A Geno gijinka? I'm in love
It's from this absolutely fantastic SMRPG fanart I found when I made my account:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Well since other people are doing it, here are the things I’m excited for about the characters I want to play:
:ultzelda:: I’m SO happy she’s looking to be high tier for once. Phantom and Dins Fire look really good now.

:ultpalutena:: People have said it seems like she has permanent Lightweight on which is amazing. Explosive Flame gives her a good zone tool besides Auto Reticle. Just hoping her tilts aren’t garbage.

:ultrobin:: Their speed seems to be improved quite a bit. People say he feels a lot more agile than 4 which gets me excited.

:ultshulk:: His Nair is basically Cloud’s now which is amazing. Switching arts will be a lot more reliable.

:ultpokemontrainer:: Haven’t really heard much of him, but I’m glad the stamina mechanic is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom