• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NineS

Smash Lord
Yeah, let me just shoot down the Game.com number right now.

It's counting the Roster Pre-:ultisabelle:, which the website touted as 71 since it counted Pokemon Trainer as 1 and included echoes.

How do I know this?

A. Isabelle isn't on the box for the special edition they're advertising.

B. Read this exerpt from the description:

"New fighters, like Inkling from Splatoon, Ridley from Metroid, Simon Belmont from Castlevania and King K. Rool, from the original Donkey Kong Country games make their Super Smash Bros. series debut alongside every Super Smash Bros. fighter in the series…EVER!"

it mentions all non-echoes pre-Isabelle. If it was accounting for her, they would have mentioned her by name as well. They have no reason not to.

C. It's almost the exact same description Amazon had, which also got people worked up over the number of Fighters.

So yeah, doesn't mean anything. Move along.
Funny. It's almost as if the box we currently have isn't the final design or likely to be indicative of the final product, and we can't really base our expectations off of it...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know, I'd say "I have no idea why anyone think Elma has even a remote chance" but that's what I said about Shulk during Sm4sh too and then he happened.
I love how we can separate Ultimate's speculation periods by Xenoblade.

March 2018: "Rex and Pyra are the most likely newcomers."
April 2018 - June 2018: "Rex and Pyra were too late. Elma is extremely likely."
July 2018 - October 2018: "LOL Xenoblade ain't getting nothin' in Smash."

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You know, I'd say "I have no idea why anyone think Elma has even a remote chance" but that's what I said about Shulk during Sm4sh too and then he happened.
There's also the fact that Sakurai bought a model mech that looked very similar to Elma's for research...
Also this...
Coincidence? I think not!

Potato_

Smash Lord
There's also the fact that Sakurai bought a model mech that looked very similar to Elma's for research...
Also this...
Coincidence? I think not!
I mean if we're using stuff like this as evidence then Shantae suddenly looks very likely, considering the boatload of tiny little coincidences she has.

I think Elma has a chance, but it isn't because of that screenshot. Think that it's purely referring to the DLC content.

StormC

Smash Hero
Why couldn't they just stick with Ridley? K. Rool hasn't been relevant in years... I know he got in thanks to fan support, but still... He really isn't that major of a Nintendo villain...
He's been the main villain of games that have cumulatively sold more than Ridley's.

Metroid: 17 million (and not accounting for games without Ridley, like Metroid II and Prime 2)
DKC1-3 and DK64: 22 million

I'm not even counting the spin-offs feating K. Rool like the Lands and Paon games.

If Ridley has earned his stripes, K. Rool definitely has, relevancy be damned.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I mean if we're using stuff like this as evidence then Shantae suddenly looks very likely, considering the boatload of tiny little coincidences she has.

I think Elma has a chance, but it isn't because of that screenshot. Think that it's purely referring to the DLC content.
Yeah, but the toy for research is another matter. (Not saying 100% it's for Elma, but it's possible)

Then we get a curveball and get a playable Skell with Elma as an assist trophy
The curveball to end all curveballs.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

If Sakurai is looking at DLC, I think Rex/Pyra easily steal Elma's shot of getting in. The success of XC2 and the fan demand for the duo overseas in Japan make them a huge obstacle for Elma - one that I'm not entirely sure she'll be able to overcome.

He's been the main villain of games that have cumulatively sold more than Ridley's.

Metroid: 17 million (and not accounting for games without Ridley, like Metroid II and Prime 2)

I'm not even counting the spin-offs feating K. Rool like the Lands and Paon games.

Not to say K. Rool didn't earn his spot, but sales don't indicate whether or not a specific character deserves to be in Smash. I could just as easily look at those sales and argue that Funky or Cranky earned their place in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, but the toy for research is another matter. (Not saying 100% it's for Elma, but it's possible)

The curveball to end all curveballs.
Is that screenshot from Xenoblade X? If so, I've never seen that before.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not to say K. Rool didn't earn his spot, but sales don't indicate whether or not a specific character deserves to be in Smash. I could just as easily look at those sales and argue that Funky or Cranky earned their place in Smash.
Neither of those are the main villain of their series so you wouldn't be able to argue that, no.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I wanted to get that so much when I played. Then my internet kept acting up for the game kicking me out of the online stuff all the time, and then I had to sell my Wii U. Kind of put a damper on having my own loli anime mecha sword girl. lol

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I purposefully dropped this debate a while ago because this post was causing me too much trouble. Please, You don't need to continue. It's already been dealt with... Sorry if I offended you...

Edited to be less harsh...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I purposefully dropped this debate a while ago because K.roolians like you were causing me too much trouble over an opinion. You don't need to continue.
If your opinion is misinformed, don't be surprised if it's challenged.

Besides, my post was hardly causing any sort of trouble. It was a counterpoint delivered with zero hostility. Saying "K. Roolians like you were causing trouble," on the other hand, seems at least a little hostile.

But hey. It is a discussion thread. I just wanted to have a discussion, is all. :)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
EDIT: This was pretty dumb of me, delete please.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Besides, my post was hardly causing any sort of trouble. It was a counterpoint delivered with zero hostility. Saying "K. Roolians like you were causing trouble," on the other hand, seems at least a little hostile.

But hey. It is a discussion thread. I just wanted to have a discussion, is all. :)
It's just that I've been attacked enough because of that post already today, and I'm getting kinda tired of it... I posted it like 9 hours ago. I apologized and everything... may we please move on?

Those gosh darn K. Roolians, too many of them in this dang country, I tell ya. Nothing but trouble, yessir, nothin but trouble. Coming in, stealing our roster space, clearly President Sakurai is just far too accepting and needs to tighten up the boarder.

Clearly, they need more Rhythym Heavian-ism in their lives, because that's SO much more relevant to the general populous than the Donkey Kong series.

Insert Geno not being relevant joke here.
Please stop... can we please move on?
Also, I'll have you know that I'm fine with Geno...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Those gosh darn K. Roolians, too many of them in this dang country, I tell ya. Nothing but trouble, yessir, nothin but trouble. Coming in, stealing our roster space, clearly President Sakurai is just far too accepting and needs to tighten up the boarder.

Clearly, they need more Rhythym Heavian-ism in their lives, because that's SO much more relevant to the general populous than the Donkey Kong series.

Insert Geno not being relevant joke here.
No. Niether K. Roolians or Rhythym-Heviansts are correct about the way of life. Truly the only acceptable path in life the way of the MegaTenist!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's just that I've been attacked enough because of that post already today, and I'm getting kinda tired of it... I posted it like 9 hours ago. I apologized and everything... may we please move on?

Please stop... can we please move on?
Sorry, I didn't even notice you posted this that long ago and had already been through the ringer. I deleted it. Apologies for stirring it up more than it needed to be stirred. You're fine, bud.

The Geno bit was more directed at me, just to point that out as well. :V

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Sure thing. I wasn't really aware of all that went down, I don't always get to read every post in this thread. I just wanted to put in my two cents. I hope at least you feel like the discussion has been productive in some way, even if some of it was annoying.

Which characters would you like to see in the game still?

NineS

Smash Lord

While I do think K. Rool is relevant, he's moreso relevant to the DK series and fandom, but overall has been irrelevent until recently.
I wouldn't necessarily use sales to equate to relevancy either. Maybe Popularity.
The definition of relevant that fits the Smash Context is "appropriate to the current time, period, or circumstances; of contemporary interest." K. Rool, Smash aside, hasn't been seen since 2008, unless you count Smash DLC. Using this definition, King K. Rool has been irrelevant for quite some time now, only recently becoming relevant again.
Whereas, with a new Metroid Prime 4 game being announced, along with Samus Returns being released in 2017, Ridley is and has been technically more relevant than King K. Rool up until his reveal in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

That isn't to say I have a preference, as I love both characters and I'm planning to try maining both.
I'm a sucker for heavyweights.

Granted, in terms of Smash Speculation, both of them are and always have been extremely relevant and popular.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
He is the only fighter that can change his status during battle. His sword, the Monado, allows him to switch between five modes—Jump, Speed, Shield, Buster and Smash—which change his abilities for a short time. Fun fact: Shulk's eighth color variation puts him in a pair of swimming trunks!

This is what we wanted to know. This is what we care about.
Who says the blog doesn't give us real information.

This is all the real sweet juicy info I need.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't think it matters at this point who's relevant or not relevant at this point. If a character has a strong demand for Smash, that's all they need.

StormC

Smash Hero
While I do think K. Rool is relevant, he's moreso relevant to the DK series and fandom, but overall has been irrelevent until recently.
I wouldn't necessarily use sales to equate to relevancy either. Maybe Popularity.
The definition of relevant that fits the Smash Context is "appropriate to the current time, period, or circumstances; of contemporary interest." K. Rool, Smash aside, hasn't been seen since 2008, unless you count Smash. Using this definition, King K. Rool has been irrelevant for quite some time now, only recently becoming relevant again.
Whereas, with a new Metroid Prime 4 game being announced, along with Samus Returns being released in 2017, Ridley is and has been technically more relevant than King K. Rool up until his reveal in Smash Bros. Ultimate.
My point was that relevancy is not the end-all-be-all. K. Rool is an important character even if he is not a "relevant" one. That's the main take away. He was the main villain of one of Nintendo's biggest series during its heyday. "Relevancy be damned" was emphasizing this.

If every character was someone who fit into Nintendo's bottom line for that year, the roster would be much more boring, in my opinion.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Who says the blog doesn't give us real information.

This is all the real sweet juicy info I need.
I mean, it certainly is a fact. And a swimsuit outfit is certainly fun. Clearly we needed the reminder.

Why are literally none of Shulk's absolutely amazing armors in the game and we only have the dang swimsuit, I cry.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sorry, I didn't even notice you posted this that long ago and had already been through the ringer. I deleted it. Apologies for stirring it up more than it needed to be stirred.
Don't worry, It's not your fault...
Sure thing. I wasn't really aware of all that went down, I don't always get to read every post in this thread. I just wanted to put in my two cents. I hope at least you feel like the discussion has been productive in some way, even if some of it was annoying.

Which characters would you like to see in the game still?
My apologies by the way, I was being kinda harsh. sorry about that...
Here, I'm going to edit that post to tell the mods to delete it... And... Done

As for characters, (aside from the obvious) I would say probably Elma and Incineroar
How about you? Who do you still want?

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
My point was that relevancy is not the end-all-be-all. K. Rool is an important character even if he is not a "relevant" one. That's the main take away. He was the main villain of one of Nintendo's biggest series during its heyday. "Relevancy be damned" was emphasizing this.

If every character was someone who fit into Nintendo's bottom line for that year, the roster would be much more boring, in my opinion.
Sorry, I thought you were trying to argue the relevancy of K. Rool and Ridley with the "relevancy be damned bit". Overall, they're both extremely important characters to their franchises, even if one has been technically more relevant than the other.

Importance to their franchises and gaming is definitely a key factor to character choosing. That isn't to say relevancy is completely irrelevant, but just because a character is irrelevant, it definitely doesn't lessen their chances. It just increases the chances of a character who is relevant. Importance is definitely far more important and relevant than relevance or irrelevance.

How many times did I say a variant of relevant, or important in this post...?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Exactly. I can't believe I still have to say this but being relevant is merely one factor for deciding new fighters among dozens of various factors.

There's also a factor that a lot of people don't seem to consider is the "Sakurai thinks they'll be a fun fighter" factor. A lot people call these characters "WTF characters" but that's hardly the case. There's so much thought going into these guys it hardly boils down to one or two things.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
K Roolians...Rhythm-Heavenists...You plebeians think you're important? You think you're the very best?

NO!

ONLY US POKEMON MASTERS HOLD THAT TITLE!!!

D

Deleted member

You know what I wish I was capable of? Making my own Smash game. It'd be difficult, but I'd want to do it.

StormC

Smash Hero
As for characters, (aside from the obvious) I would say probably Elma and Incineroar
How about you? Who do you still want?
Banjo-Kazooie, Dixie, and Bandana Dee are probably my biggest wants at the moment. I have some lowkey "never gonna happen" wants like Eggman, but at this point I'm more-or-less satisfied with the roster. I'm just getting antsy because I would like info on the game besides the roster at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom