• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Smash website says there is 72 fighters

So that's worse than what we currently have
What's this about a UK online store leak?
Just gonna re-quote what I said about this already, it really doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, let me just shoot down the Game.com number right now.

It's counting the Roster Pre-:ultisabelle:, which the website touted as 71 since it counted Pokemon Trainer as 1 and included echoes.

How do I know this?

A. Isabelle isn't on the box for the special edition they're advertising.

B. Read this exerpt from the description:

"New fighters, like Inkling from Splatoon, Ridley from Metroid, Simon Belmont from Castlevania and King K. Rool, from the original Donkey Kong Country games make their Super Smash Bros. series debut alongside every Super Smash Bros. fighter in the series…EVER!"

it mentions all non-echoes pre-Isabelle. If it was accounting for her, they would have mentioned her by name as well. They have no reason not to.

C. It's almost the exact same description Amazon had, which also got people worked up over the number of Fighters.

So yeah, doesn't mean anything. Move along.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to pick a Sony character, I'd want either Nathan Drake or Sackboy.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Ah, Jump Force. Ultimate Battle would make a great final boss battle theme for that game, in my opinion.
Yeah that or Eraser Rain the Ending OP 2 from Death Note.. Assuming Light isnt just the Turles and Slug to the new We're totally not Xenoverse 2 Time Breaker Crew

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Ah dammit so that number doesn't really mean anything. :( Was hoping it meant 3 uniques were left.

That makes sense though but I wonder why that UK online store hasn't updated the number. Possibly because it's boilerplate someone lazily copied into the listing.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No Goofy Goober Rock

Get out of my house.
Ah; I was just thinking of some early-episode songs and forgot about the movie.

Yes, that should be in as well, along with some music from the Spongebob games.

inb4 a rock remix of Battle for Bikini Bottom's main level theme / Jellyfish Fields.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh son of a-How the hell did I forget about that? My damn depression is now affect my memory skills, this just pathetic of me.
Depression? Let me say that whatever your depression puts you through, stay strong, no matter what.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh son of a-How the hell did I forget about that? My damn depression is now affect my memory skills, this just pathetic of me.
Don't beat yourself up over it dude, I don't think about it a lot either. Just one of the many new modes i'll get to experiment with.
I wonder if you can use it online with far way friends?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I would hope they do. I don't remember how they did it before, but I'd do anything to get one. I'm a desperate sellout.
I'm pretty sure the demo will be online only at a set time like Arms and Splatoon.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I was released from Box Jail on Parole and Game.co.uk or something said theres only 71 characters. How have you been?
Good only was gone a few hours nothing more. Simply watched a movie (Harry and the Hendersons).

71 eh? If true then maybe 3 more uniques.

Maybe Skull Kid, Incineroar, Isaac/Bandana Dee/Elma, Geno/Steve?/Banjo-Kazooie if that's the case?

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Wait what? I just got done from doing errands, what happened?
Oh its a long story, basically box theory happened again and you know me... oh wait you meant the 71 characters thing. Yeah some site thats the equviilent of Gamestop in the uk said theres only 71 characters in smash, could either mean three newcomers or theyre dopes. alot of us leaning on the latter.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
What’s this thing about Gamestop saying there were 100 fighters? I know it’s not true but I don’t recall seeing this error regardless. Can someone link me to it?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What’s this thing about Gamestop saying there were 100 fighters? I know it’s not true but I don’t recall seeing this error regardless. Can someone link me to it?
I think that was with a fake box image, with character renders that already existed before.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh its a long story, basically box theory happened again and you know me... oh wait you meant the 71 characters thing. Yeah some site thats the equviilent of Gamestop in the uk said theres only 71 characters in smash, could either mean three newcomers or theyre dopes. alot of us leaning on the latter.
Yeah they could be dopes. There are still too many questions from Smash 4.

What of Tails, what of Rayman, what of Gil?

Also no Xenoblade? Nah...

Congrats on your release :)

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
"This game is being leaked like a flooded house and I've got the walls of text to prove it, check it out."

smashbrosultimatespecialedition-768x506.jpg

"That right there is the box, can we talk about the box? I've been dying to talk to you about the box all day. "Vergeben", this name keeps coming up, every day Verg's leaks are showing up with the box, Vergeben, Vergeben, I look at the boards, This whole PLACE is filled with Vergeben! So I go to his DMs, I try and tell him which one of these leaks are really yours? I've got to put the Box in his god**** hands or else he's not talking, we're going to keep talking about it! So I go to Vergeben and what do I find OUT??"

"There is no Vergeben. The man does not exist, so I think ouuuuhhhhh yeah, I've got to dig a little deeper. There's no Vergeben, You've got to be kidding me, I've got BOXES full of leaks!"

"Alright, so I start marching. my way. down to Reggie at NoA and I know on his door and say REGGIEEEE, REGGIE I've got to talk to you about Vergeben, and when I open the door what do I find, there's not a single god**** desk in in NoA THERE IS NO REGGIE at Nintendo of America..."

"Guys. Half of the people in this industry have been made up. This speculation scene is a ghost town!"

*(Pazzo, not only do all these people exist but they've been trying to find these leakers, it's all they talk about! Jesus, we're all going to get banned!")*

"We're not going to get banned. Because we've already been banned. Every last person here. I took every last IP and sent 'em HALFWAY to Siberia!"

By the way have you met Waluigi? He's the guy who tipped me off about Verg.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh son of a-How the hell did I forget about that? Sorry you two. My damn depression is now affect my memory skills, this just pathetic of me.
While it does have a "meter" I wouldn't exactly call it a meter-mode in the same way other fighting games do.

In other games, you also have EX specials which use meter to power up specials. Of course using that bar now, would mean there wouldn't be as much bar to use on your super move or moves, so it's an interesting trade-off on utility vs. damage. Adding a mechanic like that would be interesting and a balancing mess I don't think Sakurai has any intention of touching with a ten yard Falchion.

D

Deleted member

That whole 71 characters of 100 characters thing was probably a placeholder number. I'd bet $20 bucks on it.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Just gonna re-quote what I said about this already, it really doesn't mean anything.
Reposting explanation. A UK online game retailer site put up a listing for Ultimate and stated it has 71 fighters, but turns out that's just boilerplate for before Isabelle was revealed.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I love how we can separate Ultimate's speculation periods by Xenoblade.

March 2018: "Rex and Pyra are the most likely newcomers."
April 2018 - June 2018: "Rex and Pyra were too late. Elma is extremely likely."
July 2018 - October 2018: "LOL Xenoblade ain't getting nothin' in Smash."
We’re in Xenosaga boyz.

KOS MOS for Smash!!!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"This game is being leaked like a flooded house and I've got the walls of text to prove it, check it out."

View attachment 169972
I just noticed something about that image. It shows the characters in order that they were revealed in Smash history. BUT, notice that Cloud, Shulk, Ryu, Pac-Man and Paluntea are missing from the image. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
I just noticed something about that image. It shows the characters in order that they were revealed in Smash history. BUT, notice that Shulk, Ryu, Pac-Man and Paluntea are missing from the image. Anyone else notice this?
People know.
They say that some of them are on the back of the box.

The believers at least.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I would also settle for that.
Whichever one is less likely to be datamined.
Like the 3ds demo they will only put in the data that is needed. They aren't dumb like GameFreak who put the data of the whole game on their demos.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
People know.
They say that some of them are on the back of the box.

The believers at least.
Have we seen the back of the box, even? I still think that box is just a placeholder/mockup or something, like someone else said.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

View attachment 169972

"That right there is the box, can we talk about the box? I've been dying to talk to you about the box all day. "Vergeben", this name keeps coming up, every day Verg's leaks are showing up with the box, Vergeben, Vergeben, I look at the boards, This whole PLACE is filled with Vergeben! So I go to his DMs, I try and tell him which one of these leaks are really yours? I've got to put the Box in his god**** hands or else he's not talking, we're going to keep talking about it! So I go to Vergeben and what do I find OUT??"

"There is no Vergeben. The man does not exist, so I think ouuuuhhhhh yeah, I've got to dig a little deeper. There's no Vergeben, You've got to be kidding me, I've got BOXES full of leaks!"

"Alright, so I start marching. my way. down to Reggie at NoA and I know on his door and say REGGIEEEE, REGGIE I've got to talk to you about Vergeben, and when I open the door what do I find, there's not a single god**** desk in in NoA THERE IS NO REGGIE at Nintendo of America..."

"Guys. Half of the people in this industry have been made up. This speculation scene is a ghost town!"

*(Pazzo, not only do all these people exist but they've been trying to find these leakers, it's all they talk about! Jesus, we're all going to get banned!")*

"We're not going to get banned. Because we've already been banned. Every last person here. I took every last IP and sent 'em HALFWAY to Siberia!"

I'm convinced this board has gone crazy now.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 169972

Good lord, I hope we get annoucement soon for this board's sake.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just noticed something about that image. It shows the characters in order that they were revealed in Smash history. BUT, notice that Cloud, Shulk, Ryu, Pac-Man and Paluntea are missing from the image. Anyone else notice this?
Box Theory.png

This is the rest of the characters.
Side B being the side we actually see, if the box design is final, this leaves a physical space for a character on both A and B.

Considering a space on the space where Palutena, Pac-man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Ryu, and Cloud are is skipped, there is an echo of the character there. The final character on side B then must be a unique newcomer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom