• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As all you pointed out, very unlikely the results will ever see the light of day.
I bet as soon as Ultimate runs it's course, all evidence of the results will be destroyed.
So Sakurai and Nintendo are now government officials burning all records and evidence of something happening now?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly there was no ballot winner as that wasn't the point to begin with. It was a suggestion box, not a contest. Iirc they said she was the highest voted that could be realistically done in Europe and top 5 I think worldwide.

Tmk the only evidence that Bayonetta was planned beforehand was a placeholder slot that had ZSS' data copied over to it around when Roy and Ryu launched. It's argued that Bayonetta used ZSS as a base which is why her data was there. Which honestly doesn't really make sense to me since I don't think they would need ZSS' data to be there even if it were to be used as a base. I know very little about development but that strikes me as something that wouldn't actually make any sense from a development point of view.
At most I think that only points to them knowing that they would be putting a character there eventually, what was holding that spot being pretty meaningless outside just holding a spot.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I hope the box theorists dont nail you to a cardboard cross for this, you speak the words i been longing to hear for ages now.
That's fine, I'll happily tank their aggro and then drink their salty tears when they're proven wrong. And if they're not, I guess they can be happy with their fake internet street cred because the game's final two reveals were a super predictable and leaked echo and one of the most boring Pokemon designs ever.
Do you think Box Theorists want it to be true? Because they don't.
They'd be overjoyed to find out there are more characters, I dunno why you believe otherwise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People keep forgetting that the ballot is not just about the amount of votes, but also about the motivations.
Bayonetta may have won for real because people who requested her, maybe wrote some solid motivations that inspired Sakurai. I'm not saying that's what happend for sure, but it's a possibility.
The beautiful thing is that the ballot was left vague meaning Sakurai can never really be wrong. Though I wanna see that dumb mother ****** who wanted to sue Nintendo because we were promised an entirely new game cry about that lol

I hope the box theorists dont nail you to a cardboard cross for this, you speak the words i been longing to hear for ages now.
R.I.P. King of Koopas. He shouldn't have talked about the box but then he talked about the box. The King is dead, long live the King. :p

That's fine, I'll happily tank their aggro and then drink their salty tears when they're proven wrong. And if they're not, I guess they can be happy with their fake internet street cred because the game's final two reveals were a super predictable and leaked echo and one of the most boring Pokemon designs ever.
Brace yourself ;)

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
They'd be overjoyed to find out there are more characters, I dunno why you believe otherwise.
I'm sure that's true, but just because they want to steel themselves for the most conservative outcome and not have their hopes crushed (a sentiment I definitely understand) doesn't mean they have to try and shout down people who choose not to be so pessimistic. It's not like there's definitive proof either way since nobody has any idea what's actually left on the reveal docket.

Props to Sakurai for keeping things under wraps, btw. I fully expect to see a real leak by this time next month but it's been nice to go so long without deconfirmations either way.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think why people are up in arms against 'some' Box theorist is because sometimes out of the blue it just gets shoved down our throats ONLY 2 CHARACTERS LEFT!

I think we just want those types to get proven wrong the most.

EDIT: Kind of :ultgreninja:'ed

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly I wouldn't say that it's one of the more boring ones. We have pokemon that are rocks with arms, a ball, an upside down ball, goop, more goop, just a seel, a fish, just a bird, a rat, etc. A bipedal wrestling cat that shoots fire out of a wrestling belt it wears that directly references Tiger Mask really doesn't sound boring to me at all.

I can understand people not liking it for whatever reason but I wouldn't call it boring.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Box theory just sounds like another one of these fan-made "rules" that people convince themselves of just because there's nothing else to talk about atm. If Sakurai's been going to such a massive effort to conceal the exact number and identity of the remaining newcomers, why would he let the marketing team spoil it through process of deduction using some temporary placeholder art on a promotional box?

I hope we get a new Direct already and they reveal 3 new characters, I don't care who, just so people will lay off this box theory. Preferably someone Verge didn't predict so we can have another "Robin killed the Gematsu leak" moment.

Like, I don't even think Vergeben is wrong, I'm just sick of his predictions and the box theory sucking all the air out of the room whenever people talk about their most wanted newcomers. People shut them down just because they're not the Holy Trinity of Tony the Tiger, Ken, and Squeenix rep, or because there are only two more "slots" on the darned box. Let people have their fun, lol.
The Castlvania newcomer and the name of the new mode "Spirits" were spoiled, both of which could easily have been avoided.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm sure that's true, but just because they want to steel themselves for the most conservative outcome and not have their hopes crushed (a sentiment I definitely understand) doesn't mean they have to try and shout down people who choose not to be so pessimistic. It's not like there's definitive proof either way since nobody has any idea what's actually left on the reveal docket.

Props to Sakurai for keeping things under wraps, btw. I fully expect to see a real leak by this time next month but it's been nice to go so long without deconfirmations either way.
I suppose that's fai-
one of the most boring Pokemon designs ever.
Incineroar
Boring

You gotta be kidding me...
1539524955679.jpg

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I think why people are up in arms against 'some' Box theorist is because sometimes out of the blue it just gets shoved down our throats ONLY 2 CHARACTERS LEFT!

Honestly doesn't help that it was originally proposed by someone that wants to de-hype people as much as possible so they "hype responsibly"

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Basically i was gonna reply but you basically said what i wanted to say, i mean i probably woulda mentioned someone's name but that woulda got me booted off again.. that and i dont remember who it was from the other night..

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
The Castlvania newcomer and the name of the new mode "Spirits" were spoiled, both of which could easily have been avoided.
Yeah definitely. Those were self-inflicted wounds though, haha. We haven’t had an ESRB leak situation yet is what I mean aside from the Ken screenshot which wasn’t much of a spoiler imo. Although I forget when in the timeline that happened relative to Sm4sh’s release. It could be that we’ll see something like that tomorrow, or in a month, but hopefully we’ll make it to the final Direct (mostly) leak-free.

Edit: also I do apologize for calling Incineroar boring. That was uncalled for. I’m not personally a fan but I think he would make a good character. Mostly though I just want it to be literally any other Pokemon at all because it’s been nothing but talk of Incineroar for months ever since Verge opened his mouth. Or ideally no Pokemon reps at all until DLC. I think everyone would agree that series is more than well represented.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Honestly doesn't help that it was originally proposed by someone that wants to de-hype people as much as possible so they "hype responsibly"
Yeah seriously, i am a grown-*** adult who pays taxes, don't tell me how to hype or not hype! GET OFF MY LAWN! NO STEP ON SNEK!!!

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I guess this is more appropriate to discuss here than my official thread because this might not be real but this leak mentions that the KOS-MOS memory blog leak was fake which of course we all know was fake since we are past that day but interestingly, this mentions KOS-MOS is still in the game and with the Zohar Symbol. He mentions that the fake leaker almost got her emblem style pretty darn close. I do find this interesting but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt because we haven't heard any credible Namco leaks and Imran might have already confirmed Namco isn't in the base game. Although, here's the leak if you guys didn't already discuss it.

"
Hello everyone, I have some information regarding Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, regarding Newcomers, Echoes, Stages, and Spirits. However, due to 4chan's character limit, only characters will be put here. You can find the rest of the stuff below.

Firstly, regarding characters, I'd like to mention that box theory is not true. If it isn't that obvious, no, Ken and Incineroar will not be the final newcomers. The box is merely a placeholder image and will be fixed as time passes and more newcomers are revealed. Anyways, the pre-game newcomers will be:
-KOS-MOS (Xenosaga, Bandai-Namco Rep. Her logo will be the Zohar). In addition to this, while the KOS-MOS Blog leak is fake (as she will not be revealed next), the logo is pretty darn close.
-Isaac (Golden Sun). His logo will be similar to the fan interpretation, but with changes to make it look unique. He is also regarded as the Surprise Rep.
-Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby). He will be the only unique Kirby Rep this time around.
-Incineroar (Pokemon). As a side note, both Decidueye and Primarina will appear as regular trophies doing their Z-Moves.
-Geno (Super Mario RPG). similar to Wario and Yoshi, Geno will have a different logo, being seven stars.

I'd also like to note the lack of a new Fire Emblem Rep for Ultimate. This is due to the Smash 4 DLC Fighters being considered to be Smash Ultimate Fighters, with their Smash 4 Appearances being a bit of a "Beta" or "First Look". Due to this, Corrin is considered to be Smash Ultimate's Fire Emblem Rep. However, there will also be another Echo Fighter this time around for FE. "

Secondly, he mentions the following: "
n terms of Echo Fighters, they are:
-Shadow over Sonic. The major differences here are that his Up+B is a teleport instead of a spring, his animations are different, and his Final Smash is Chaos Control, which is like Witch Time but slows time down even more and lasts longer.
-Ken over Ryu. Similar to Richter, Ken only gets Animation Changes. Chun-Li appears as an Assist Trophy.
-Hilda over Zelda. The main difference here is that her animations are changed to reflect her being Lorulean, her Down+B is not Phantom Slash, but instead a Counter where she seals an enemy in a painting, and her Final Smash uses the Lorulean Triforce.
-Black Knight over Ike. His Up+B is Warp Powder (a teleport) instead of Aether, and his Final Smash is Eclipse, in addition to animations. He also has a Helmetless Alternate costume to correspond with Ike's RD Alt.

In terms of stages, like Corocoro has said, there will be 5 stages. These are:
-Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
-Forest Maze (Mario RPG)
-Abel's Ark (Xenosaga)
-Smashworld (Minecraft)
-Battle Royal Dome (Pokemon) "

From here: http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/435173424

Why does KOS-MOS keep appearing in leaks? Please be in the game! Hehe

StormC

Smash Hero
There are definitely going to be people in this thread bragging about how they're right if it comes to pass, so a part of them probably does want it to be true.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually, I wouldn't mind if people decreased their expectations about remaining characters a bit because we literally gone through this in both Brawl and Smash For DLC. People hyped themselves too much and then final reveals left a sour taste even if the previous characters were fine.

Ideally I'd like fans to keep an open mind.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
I'm curious, how would y'all feel if we were to get Quote from Cave Story as a fighter with Curly Brace as his echo?
I love cave story and quote is one of my most wanted, so i would be quite pleased.
And to give my worthless two cents, i think the problem is some people wanting others to tone down their expectations but also unrealistically expecting everyone to do so, which ends up in said person constantly forcing it, which annoys people.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I guess this is more appropriate to discuss here than my official thread because this might not be real but this leak mentions that the KOS-MOS memory blog leak was fake which of course we all know was fake since we are past that day but interestingly, this mentions KOS-MOS is still in the game and with the Zohar Symbol. He mentions that the fake leaker almost got her emblem style pretty darn close. I do find this interesting but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt because we haven't heard any credible Namco leaks and Imran might have already confirmed Namco isn't in the base game. Although, here's the leak if you guys didn't already discuss it.

"
Hello everyone, I have some information regarding Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, regarding Newcomers, Echoes, Stages, and Spirits. However, due to 4chan's character limit, only characters will be put here. You can find the rest of the stuff below.

Firstly, regarding characters, I'd like to mention that box theory is not true. If it isn't that obvious, no, Ken and Incineroar will not be the final newcomers. The box is merely a placeholder image and will be fixed as time passes and more newcomers are revealed. Anyways, the pre-game newcomers will be:
-KOS-MOS (Xenosaga, Bandai-Namco Rep. Her logo will be the Zohar). In addition to this, while the KOS-MOS Blog leak is fake (as she will not be revealed next), the logo is pretty darn close.
-Isaac (Golden Sun). His logo will be similar to the fan interpretation, but with changes to make it look unique. He is also regarded as the Surprise Rep.
-Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby). He will be the only unique Kirby Rep this time around.
-Incineroar (Pokemon). As a side note, both Decidueye and Primarina will appear as regular trophies doing their Z-Moves.
-Geno (Super Mario RPG). similar to Wario and Yoshi, Geno will have a different logo, being seven stars.

I'd also like to note the lack of a new Fire Emblem Rep for Ultimate. This is due to the Smash 4 DLC Fighters being considered to be Smash Ultimate Fighters, with their Smash 4 Appearances being a bit of a "Beta" or "First Look". Due to this, Corrin is considered to be Smash Ultimate's Fire Emblem Rep. However, there will also be another Echo Fighter this time around for FE. "

Secondly, he mentions the following: "
n terms of Echo Fighters, they are:
-Shadow over Sonic. The major differences here are that his Up+B is a teleport instead of a spring, his animations are different, and his Final Smash is Chaos Control, which is like Witch Time but slows time down even more and lasts longer.
-Ken over Ryu. Similar to Richter, Ken only gets Animation Changes. Chun-Li appears as an Assist Trophy.
-Hilda over Zelda. The main difference here is that her animations are changed to reflect her being Lorulean, her Down+B is not Phantom Slash, but instead a Counter where she seals an enemy in a painting, and her Final Smash uses the Lorulean Triforce.
-Black Knight over Ike. His Up+B is Warp Powder (a teleport) instead of Aether, and his Final Smash is Eclipse, in addition to animations. He also has a Helmetless Alternate costume to correspond with Ike's RD Alt.

In terms of stages, like Corocoro has said, there will be 5 stages. These are:
-Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
-Forest Maze (Mario RPG)
-Abel's Ark (Xenosaga)
-Smashworld (Minecraft)
-Battle Royal Dome (Pokemon) "

From here: http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/435173424

Why does KOS-MOS keep appearing in leaks? Please be in the game! Hehe
I like that a lot (yay for Isaac) but I really distrust any leak that goes into detail on why certain choices were made, like the talk about Corrin being considered an “Ultimate” rep. Surely only Sakurai and his top men would know the reasoning behind any roster decisions and I doubt any of them would share that insight with anyone who hadn’t been 100% vetted.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also I do apologize for calling Incineroar boring. That was uncalled for. I’m not personally a fan but I think he would make a good character. Mostly though I just want it to be literally any other Pokemon at all because it’s been nothing but talk of Incineroar for months ever since Verge opened his mouth. Or ideally no Pokemon reps at all until DLC. I think everyone would agree that series is more than well represented.
Alola itself isn't represented in a fighter. Gen 7 was one of my favorite generations and I really want a fighter to represent it. If we were to wait for dlc I guarantee you Alola would be skipped over for a Gen 8 Pokemon.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm curious, how would y'all feel if we were to get Quote from Cave Story as a fighter with Curly Brace as his echo?
Quote is basically the only indie character I would throw my support behind. The lack of a fanbase for the character is truly puzzling to me, considering Cave Story is arguably the most iconic indie game of all time.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Corrin was chosen to support one of the recent Nintendo titles. My guess is because all other DLC characters were either veterans or guests, but we can't know for sure. We also know he was picked by development team, not by Sakurai himself. That's it.

Calling him Ultimate rep is really streching it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
ok but we have people who'd brag if it's wrong. And we have people who are bragging that they were right that verge is a hack because he didn't get everything perfect
Not sure what your point is. I mean yeah. People will brag when they're right. Usually because it's something they wanted to be right about. This includes, I imagine, a lot of box theorists, who want to be right and go down with the ship.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Corrin was chosen to support one of the recent Nintendo titles. My guess is because all other DLC characters were either veterans or guests, but we can't know for sure. We also know he was picked by development team, not by Sakurai himself. That's it.

Calling him Ultimate rep is really streching it.
Man do I still wish that would had been Elma...

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Alola itself isn't represented in a fighter. Gen 7 was one of my favorite generations and I really want a fighter to represent it. If we were to wait for dlc I guarantee you Alola would be skipped over for a Gen 8 Pokemon.
You can find Pichus in Alola :)

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
The fact some people are legitimately trying to claim that there is a group of people who sit around, clasping their hands together and snickering 'I really hope there's only two characters left and there's no surprises left for anyone, myself included! That'll show 'em!" is really leaving me at a loss for words.

Is it really that hard to step back and say 'maybe I SHOULDN'T get overexcited for the roster, it's already impressive as is'?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Quote is basically the only indie character I would throw my support behind. The lack of a fanbase for the character is truly puzzling to me, considering Cave Story is arguably the most iconic indie game of all time.
I'm kind of puzzled as to why he doesn't have a bigger fanbase too. I'm in the same boat, he's the only indie character I support. Feel like he deserves it more than our current indie frontrunner, but nope, apparently having a mediocre GBC game means you deserve it more because "you're closer to Nintendo".

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Actually, I wouldn't mind if people decreased their expectations about remaining characters a bit because we literally gone through this in both Brawl and Smash For DLC. People hyped themselves too much and then final reveals left a sour taste even if the previous characters were fine.

Ideally I'd like fans to keep an open mind.
I mean in the sense that this was a person pushing that the Smash direct would only give us 1 character and maybe not even that and that you shouldn't expect more than that. They had taken it to an extreme and seemingly tried to dictate how others should feel.
Having your expectations in a good place is preferable but I don't think outright pessimism is a good counter. It is just replacing one extreme with another. Which gets annoying when it gets pushed as the right way

Honestly these days Shovel Knight has likely taken the crown of indie king, with Undertale and Shantae right behind that. Cave Story still has its fanbase and its still like the OG indie game but its not really gotten much new support outside the Code of Princess devs and another rerelease.

On the topic of pokemon honestly a gen 7 pokemon is one of the only things I would 100% say is going to happen based on how the series has been shown in Smash so far and precedence from the last game. With Incineroar and Lycanroc being frontrunners for me at this time.
Though I would much rather Salazzle but that isn't happening :/

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
The fact some people are legitimately trying to claim that there is a group of people who sit around, clasping their hands together and snickering 'I really hope there's only two characters left and there's no surprises left for anyone, myself included! That'll show 'em!" is really leaving me at a loss for words.

Is it really that hard to step back and say 'maybe I SHOULDN'T get overexcited for the roster, it's already impressive as is'?
Honestly there are people who ARE like that. Never underestimate how vindictive people can be

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly... It feels to me that people who support Quote only do it for Cave Story's historical impact.

I haven't actually seen many passionate Quote fans. Meanwhile I see tons of passionate Shovel Knight and Shantae fans (Shantate fans get a bit too passionate sometimes).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom