• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hello I am Vergeben No. 404 and I'm here to tell you that the Box Theory is indeed "true," however a few characters are slapped onto the back of the box.

Carl Wheezer and Mr. Krabs are Day 1 DLC, and the Box itself is a character in base-game with Squidward as an assist trophy.

Thank you for your time.

Vergeben No. 404, out.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 169974

This is the rest of the characters.
Side B being the side we actually see, if the box design is final, this leaves a physical space for a character on the bottom right of both Side A and B.
I see, but where did you get the other side? Plus, there is no garuntee Side B will be the final image on the box, considering Isabelle was not on the box to begin with. I am not sure that we have seen the other side of the box for that matter. Wanna clarify that for me, if you can?

D

Deleted member

View attachment 169974

Side B being the side we actually see, if the box design is final, this leaves a physical space for a character on both A and B.

Considering a space on the space where Palutena, Pac-man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Ryu, and Cloud are is skipped, there is an echo of the character there. The final character on side B then must be a unique newcomer.
So basically Ken on Side A, Incineroar on Side B.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
"This game is being leaked like a flooded house and I've got the walls of text to prove it, check it out."

View attachment 169972

"That right there is the box, can we talk about the box? I've been dying to talk to you about the box all day. "Vergeben", this name keeps coming up, every day Verg's leaks are showing up with the box, Vergeben, Vergeben, I look at the boards, This whole PLACE is filled with Vergeben! So I go to his DMs, I try and tell him which one of these leaks are really yours? I've got to put the Box in his god**** hands or else he's not talking, we're going to keep talking about it! So I go to Vergeben and what do I find OUT??"

"There is no Vergeben. The man does not exist, so I think ouuuuhhhhh yeah, I've got to dig a little deeper. There's no Vergeben, You've got to be kidding me, I've got BOXES full of leaks!"

"Alright, so I start marching. my way. down to Reggie at NoA and I know on his door and say REGGIEEEE, REGGIE I've got to talk to you about Vergeben, and when I open the door what do I find, there's not a single god**** desk in in NoA THERE IS NO REGGIE at Nintendo of America..."

"Guys. Half of the people in this industry have been made up. This speculation scene is a ghost town!"

*(Pazzo, not only do all these people exist but they've been trying to find these leakers, it's all they talk about! Jesus, we're all going to get banned!")*

"We're not going to get banned. Because we've already been banned. Every last person here. I took every last IP and sent 'em HALFWAY to Siberia!"

By the way have you met Waluigi? He's the guy who tipped me off about Verg.

OMG GT4's licence test failure song XD
It will never happen, but it would be cool if that song was used in a trailer with Skull Kid and Isaac ("The moon is beautiful, but the sun is more beautiful", Majora and Golden Sun), or a Pokèmon Sun/Moon newcomer.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I see, but where did you get the other side? Plus, there is no garuntee Side B will be the final image on the box, considering Isabelle was not on the box to begin with. I am not sure that we have seen the other side of the box for that matter. Wanna clarify that for me, if you can?
The other side was postulated from data from Side B's pattern. Groups of 9 characters that have a gap of 9 characters before resuming with another 9 characters again. Fitting the groups of 9 characters missing to side A would complete the box exactly.

There is no guarantee that the design is final, but that is the design advertised and it's very likely they'll stick to the general layout. It's very unlikely that they would create this design, advertise it, and then radically change it. Adding the newcomer to the box is probably far less work than completely changing the design.

So basically Ken on Side A, Incineroar on Side B.
That's the theory.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The other side was postulated from data from Side B. Groups of 9 characters that have a gap of 9 characters before resuming with 9 characters again. Fitting the groups of 9 characters missing to side A would complete the box.

There is no guarantee that the design is final, but that is the design advertised and it's very likely they'll stick to the general layout. It's very unlikely that they would create this design, advertise it, and then radically change it.
Postulated? Makes sense, but if I understand what postulate means, that is still theorized, plus, I believe this is a mockup, as someone else mentioned, and it is possible to put characters like Shulk who were not on side B onto side B in the end, especially if they wanted to do it in order. Plus, just because there are a few spaces left doesn't mean those few spaces mean those will be the remaining number of characters. Just saying.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
View attachment 169974

Side B being the side we actually see, if the box design is final, this leaves a physical space for a character on both A and B.

Considering a space on the space where Palutena, Pac-man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Ryu, and Cloud are is skipped, there is an echo of the character there. The final character on side B then must be a unique newcomer.
What if *GASP* THEY'RE BOTH BLANK SPACES! -
Box Theory.png

It's likely it will have the same amount of characters as the download card -
DofvF_9W0AE4R9_.jpg

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The box theory has some valid points, though I don't think we should give much importance to the actual pattern.
The picture is a placeholder, and if they add more characters they may change the pattern as well... it means that the box theory suggests 2 more characters, but it's not necessary that one of the two is Ken.
Maybe they moved a character to the visible side in order to make it look more complete, and not because there's a specific echo or something... the fact that the hole happend to be in the Ryu section, may even be just a coincidence.
Ken is very likely and its leaked screenshot is credible enough, though, as I shown in one of my previous posts, even that picture has possible flaws and can still be fake.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Legally i am not allowed to talk about Box Theory anymore or the ankle bracelet they fitted me into would explode..

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly considering the box isn't likely produced yet it's not unlikely that they could just shift things around. Or possibly not even have the other characters on the other side at all and that side ends up being for listing off stuff in the bundle with the characters on the back instead, or it could end up the box doesn't show everyone to begin with.
The theory makes sense with what we know but the unknown pieces makes it something I can't exactly support in it's current form.

Though on the topic of site character counts the ones that have happened so far likely just copied the number off the site when put up. If it is from official source I honestly doubt that echoes would not be counted. They will still be their own unlockables and by default have their own slots so to the general public they are still characters, plus having a bigger number would be more enticing. The echo concept seems to be more to indicate that they are freebie extras, not that they suddenly don't count as characters.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Postulated? Makes sense, but if I understand what postulate means, that is still theorized, plus, I believe this is a mockup, as someone else mentioned, and it is possible to put characters like Shulk who were not on side B onto side B in the end, especially if they wanted to do it in order. Plus, just because there are a few spaces left doesn't mean those few spaces mean those will be the remaining number of characters. Just saying.
Theorized, but with a pretty clear pattern to back it up.
It being a digital mockup is pretty obvious and doesn't change the fact that it's the final design going to be used for the special box.
Putting a character like Shulk on side B would mean the entire layout of the box would be changed, sure. But no matter how you change it, there would still be 2 spaces missing.
Box theory doesn't necessarily limit the amount of characters left, true, but it does show that there are at least 2 characters left, one echo and one newcomer.

What if *GASP* THEY'RE BOTH BLANK SPACES! -
View attachment 169975

It's likely it will have the same amount of characters as the download card -
View attachment 169976
While possible, I think that's unlikely. Sakurai did say the amount of directs would be "winding down," but eventually there must be a direct to explain the "Spirits mode" and so far we've yet to have a Smash-related direct without a character trailer.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
"This game is being leaked like a flooded house and I've got the walls of text to prove it, check it out."

View attachment 169972

"That right there is the box, can we talk about the box? I've been dying to talk to you about the box all day. "Vergeben", this name keeps coming up, every day Verg's leaks are showing up with the box, Vergeben, Vergeben, I look at the boards, This whole PLACE is filled with Vergeben! So I go to his DMs, I try and tell him which one of these leaks are really yours? I've got to put the Box in his god**** hands or else he's not talking, we're going to keep talking about it! So I go to Vergeben and what do I find OUT??"

"There is no Vergeben. The man does not exist, so I think ouuuuhhhhh yeah, I've got to dig a little deeper. There's no Vergeben, You've got to be kidding me, I've got BOXES full of leaks!"

"Alright, so I start marching. my way. down to Reggie at NoA and I know on his door and say REGGIEEEE, REGGIE I've got to talk to you about Vergeben, and when I open the door what do I find, there's not a single god**** desk in in NoA THERE IS NO REGGIE at Nintendo of America..."

"Guys. Half of the people in this industry have been made up. This speculation scene is a ghost town!"

*(Pazzo, not only do all these people exist but they've been trying to find these leakers, it's all they talk about! Jesus, we're all going to get banned!")*

"We're not going to get banned. Because we've already been banned. Every last person here. I took every last IP and sent 'em HALFWAY to Siberia!"

By the way have you met Waluigi? He's the guy who tipped me off about Verg.

Pepe Silvia for Smash Ultimate!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it'd be legitimately great albeit hard for casual fans to swallow. Maybe like, double tapping the special button costs a bar of EX meter and the move gets different properties?
That'd be difficult to implement for a characters that have multi-input specials like the Starfox crew who have blasters that can repeatedly fire by mashing B.

bbybae

Smash Cadet
ok but the box is also a 3d render and not a real object at all, I do think they have the design finalized but they can change that image at any time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Considering some people complained about Ryu's inputs being too hard to execute

I can see this actually being the case
I don't really play characters like Ryu or Bayonetta much, but when I do, I just forgo extra inputs. They are still enjoyable imo, though probably less fun.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Theorized, but with a pretty clear pattern to back it up.
It being a digital mockup is pretty obvious and doesn't change the fact that it's the final design going to be used for the special box.
Putting a character like Shulk on side B would mean the entire layout of the box would be changed, sure. But no matter how you change it, there would still be 2 spaces missing.
Box theory doesn't necessarily limit the amount of characters left, true, but it does show that there are at least 2 characters left, one echo and one newcomer.

While possible, I think that's unlikely. Sakurai did say the amount of directs would be "winding down," but eventually there must be a direct to explain the "Spirits mode" and so far we've yet to have a Smash-related direct without a character trailer.
On the first point, the clear pattern thing is why I said it makes sense. :p
Second point, maybe, maybe not, but I am not sure if that will be the final design if the box is just a placeholder.
3rd and fourth points. Yeah there are at least two characters left. Still, I doubt they would just show those two new characters and leave the remaining ones after out.

Let's now try to change the topic to avoid arguing, shall we? So, guys, which character will you pick on/beat up for fun/use as a punching bag for whatever reason?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You know what I would love to see the most in a Direct?

The Smash Ballot Results.

I just want Sakurai to have a big white board with characters names listed and he says
'Here are the results from the Smash Ballot years ago. You may notice some names are shown and some are hidden (Kind of like Letterman's top 10). Well let me show you them now.'

And each one he reveals, the character gets revealed as playable.

One can dream...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Then have it pressing B again while they're Blasters are still there, EX Blaster shoots 5 at once maybe? IDK I didn't think my idea would actually get entertained
But their blasters are already out when they fire again. Fox rapid fires his and Falco shoots twice before putting it away. Dunno about Wolf.

I think another way would be holding the B-input after using it and then releasing it with a direction and stick to activate the corresponding EX move. Think Megaman charing up his Mega Buster in his own games.

NineS

Smash Lord
Hello I am Vergeben No. 404 and I'm here to tell you that the Box Theory is indeed "true," however a few characters are slapped onto the back of the box.

Carl Wheezer and Mr. Krabs are Day 1 DLC, and the Box itself is a character in base-game with Squidward as an assist trophy.

Thank you for your time.

Vergeben No. 404, out.
Vergeben No. 009 here. I would like to tell you that my sources told me there will be no stickers, trophies, or usual collectibles of the sorts.
Instead, you'll be collecting each represented franchises's collectibles (Stars for Mario, Chaos emeralds for Sonic, etc...)

This will be revealed in an upcoming direct and will coincide with another announcement. The first collectible that will be shown are the infinity stones, and the character that will be revealed alongside them is a Fortnite character. Thanos will be shown as a boss for the Fortnite stage, and will also be able to be summoned as an assist trophy.

These are extremely reliable sources, as they are the ones who told me Isabelle, Ridley, Mr.Krabs, and Carl Wheezer will be in Smash.
You will discover this in the announcement they have to make on Wednesday.

note, not an actual leaker.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I just want Sakurai to have a big white board with characters names listed and he says
'Here are the results from the Smash Ballot years ago. You may notice some names are shown and some are hidden (Kind of like Letterman's top 10). Well let me show you them now.'

One can dream...
Sakurai said Bayonetta was the ballot winner. Since we have evidence to disprove that, I think Sakurai will refrain from showing the ballot results just to avoid embarrasment/showing that he was wrong.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Has anyone played Super Mario Bros. Crossover? It occured to me all the characters in the original version of that flash game are playable in smash now except for Bill Rizer. And all the ones in the Final Version are in in some capacity except for Bill, Ryu Hayabusa, and Sophia III from Blaster Master.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

One can dream...
And one can dream Nintendo's next E3 is having the audience go "I wish that game was on the Switch" with Reggie bodyslamming them yelling it is for like an hour
But their blasters are already out when they fire again. Fox rapid fires his and Falco shoots twice before putting it away. Dunno about Wolf.

I think another way would be holding the B-input after using it and then releasing it with a direction and stick to activate the corresponding EX move. Think Megaman charing up his Mega Buster in his own games.
I'm not a game designer, this proves that more so.

Also Wolf's Blaster was that he sticks his gun in front of him and does a single shot before having to put it away again

osby

Smash Obsessed

One can dream...
While cool, it might be a bad idea. Think not every single character that voted high wasn't playable.

Like it happened with Bayonetta. People worked hard for digging her files but didn't think a second about maybe higher voted characters weren't realizable with limited DLC budget. It would just be a repeat of the same situation.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Box theory just sounds like another one of these fan-made "rules" that people convince themselves of just because there's nothing else to talk about atm. If Sakurai's been going to such a massive effort to conceal the exact number and identity of the remaining newcomers, why would he let the marketing team spoil it through process of deduction using some temporary placeholder art on a promotional box?

I hope we get a new Direct already and they reveal 3 new characters, I don't care who, just so people will lay off this box theory. Preferably someone Verge didn't predict so we can have another "Robin killed the Gematsu leak" moment.

Like, I don't even think Vergeben is wrong, I'm just sick of his predictions and the box theory sucking all the air out of the room whenever people talk about their most wanted newcomers. People shut them down just because they're not the Holy Trinity of Tony the Tiger, Ken, and Squeenix rep, or because there are only two more "slots" on the darned box. Let people have their fun, lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai said Bayonetta was the ballot winner. Since we have evidence to disprove that, I think Sakurai will refrain from showing the ballot results just to avoid embarrasment/showing that he was wrong.
Lmao that absolutely is not the reason to not show the ballot results. We've all seen how awful this fandom is, what do you think people here would do with a list of "Popular Smash character choices in 2015"?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Lmao that absolutely is not the reason to not show the ballot results. We've all seen how awful this fandom is, what do you think people here would do with a list of "Popular Smash character choices in 2015"?
Well, there is that too. Note that I was kinda joking around with what I said that you quoted. No harm in that, right?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Box theory just sounds like another one of these fan-made "rules" that people convince themselves of just because there's nothing else to talk about atm. If Sakurai's been going to such a massive effort to conceal the exact number and identity of the remaining newcomers, why would he let the marketing team spoil it through process of deduction using some temporary placeholder art on a promotional box?

I hope we get a new Direct already and they reveal 3 new characters, I don't care who, just so people will lay off this box theory. Preferably someone Verge didn't predict so we can have another "Robin killed the Gematsu leak" moment.

Like, I don't even think Vergeben is wrong, I'm just sick of his predictions and the box theory sucking all the air out of the room whenever people talk about their most wanted newcomers. People shut them down just because they're not the Holy Trinity of Tony the Tiger, Ken, and Squeenix rep, or because there are only two more "slots" on the darned box. Let people have their fun, lol.
I hope the box theorists dont nail you to a cardboard cross for this, you speak the words i been longing to hear for ages now.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
As all you pointed out, very unlikely the results will ever see the light of day.
I bet as soon as Ultimate runs it's course, all evidence of the results will be destroyed.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
People keep forgetting that the ballot is not just about the amount of votes, but also about the motivations.
Bayonetta may have won for real because people who requested her, maybe wrote some solid motivations that inspired Sakurai. I'm not saying that's what happend for sure, but it's a possibility.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
People keep forgetting that the ballot is not just about the amount of votes, but also about the motivations.
Bayonetta may have won for real because people who requested her, maybe wrote some solid motivations that inspired Sakurai. I'm not saying that's what happend for sure, but it's a possibility.
I almost forgot about the motivations.
Willing to bet those were important as well, otherwise... Well, I can only wonder how many people voted for Shrek, Goku, and Superman.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I hope the box theorists dont nail you to a cardboard cross for this, you speak the words i been longing to hear for ages now.
That's fine, I'll happily tank their aggro and then drink their salty tears when they're proven wrong. And if they're not, I guess they can be happy with their fake internet street cred because the game's final two reveals were a super predictable and leaked echo and one of the most boring Pokemon designs ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom