• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Also staindgrey staindgrey and NineS NineS nice to see some Resident Evil fans! I'm one too.
The only reason I don't bring it up more is that this is a Smash thread, and until RE gets represented in it (unlikely as hell), I try not to bring it up because I can go on forever about it.

It's my single favorite game franchise, if I had to pick one.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The issue with characters like Robin and Corrin is that they try to be both avatars and characters of their own. The more you flesh out their personality, the worse they serve their purpose as avatars. The more of a blank slate you make them, the more boring of characters they become. They're trapped in this awkward middle ground. Top that with Fate's awful and inconsistent writing and poor Corrin was just a recipe for disaster.

I really want FE to have a silent avatar with dialogue trees, maybe with voice acting done Xenoblade X style where the voice you choose also effects their voice lines, or no avatar at all. If I want a self-insert Gary Stu of myself, that's what we have fan fiction for. I don't think we've seen Byleth or whatever his name was talk yet but I'm not getting my hopes up.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Lyn and a lot of her fans give me the emotional equivalent of the gross feeling you get when you reach into toilet water to pick up a dropped phone, full disclosure.

And really, I still want to have some kind of hope for Chibi-Robo to somehow and some way be in Super Smash Bros. one day.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
RE6 wasn't THAT bad and in fact I'd say it gets a LOT of unneeded hate...but then again this is coming from the guy who LOVED Other M (it's my favorite Metroid game) and thinks Mario Odyssey is the most overrated Nintendo game ever released... *runs out of thread*
You can hunker down in my "Super Mario 3D World was better than Odyssey" bunker for safety.

But get that Other M **** outta here.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Lol it's okay. To me, Robin and Corrin are The Original Mass Effect Trilogy's Shepard, but minus anything and everything that made Shepard work. But that's just me, so no biggie.

Also staindgrey staindgrey and NineS NineS nice to see some Resident Evil fans! I'm one too.
Ike, Chrom, and Celica/Alm will always be the best lords to me anyway.

Something that always bothered me about Fates: You can have Corrin marry Azura.
And they don't tell you she's Corrin's cousin.

Which is something that bothered me about Awakening: You can have Robin marry any of the kids from the future.
The problem with that is that the kids in the present, Robin's time, don't even exist yet, or they're babies.
The children mechanic in the games was not perfect - and for Fates wholly unnecessary. I did feel like the marriage added a bit but i hope next game the kids are cut

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Which is something that bothered me about Awakening: You can have Robin marry any of the kids from the future.
The problem with that is that the kids in the present, Robin's time, don't even exist yet, or they're babies.
Literally, the reason why I'm uncomfortable pairing up the second generation units with any of the first generation ones. I find it creepy.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
RE6 wasn't THAT bad and in fact I'd say it gets a LOT of unneeded hate...but then again this is coming from the guy who LOVED Other M (it's my favorite Metroid game) and thinks Mario Odyssey is the most overrated Nintendo game ever released... *runs out of thread*
You're a brave soul :yoshi:

Iridium

Smash Hero

A somewhat neat official trailer from GameStop (assuming this hasn't been seen yet). I'm even more bored at this point, though.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I also enjoyed Other M

Really when it comes to video games I'm not that difficult most of the time

It's impossible for a game to only consist of flaws if you ask me

EDIT: And by that I mean games with a budget like for example RE6 and Other M

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Yep. Jill Valentine
I had a hunch it was her, but how the **** did I not immediately recognize jill mcfreakin' valentine--?

in her REmake look.
Oh right, that's why: I haven't actually played a Resident Evil game, so I only recognize the version of her with the blue shirt and brunette hair. *double facepalms in shame*

D

Deleted member

The only reason I don't bring it up more is that this is a Smash thread, and until RE gets represented in it (unlikely as hell), I try not to bring it up because I can go on forever about it.

It's my single favorite game franchise, if I had to pick one.
Cool! I like Resident Evil as well. REs RE:1, 2, 4, and 7 are my favorite titles. I like the Revelation games as well.

Ike, Chrom, and Celica/Alm will always be the best lords to me anyway.
I like Ike and Alm, but not Chrom and Celica. I don't hate Celica as much as other people, but I still think Alm's the better character between the two. Chrom is just meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

A somewhat neat official trailer from GameStop (assuming this hasn't been seen yet). I'm even more bored at this point, though.
I like how they showed off Charizard footage without demonstrating that Switching is back. :4pacman:

Yeah that was pretty boring, it seems to have all been footage that we've seen before. And it wasn't synced up to the music quite as well as most stuff Nintendo themselves tend to put out.

NineS

Smash Lord
I also enjoyed Other M

In Other M's defense, as a video game, it's not that bad and it's fairly enjoyable.

As a Metroid game, it doesn't live up to expectations of the rest Except federation force and fails to meet requirements.

But I wonder, what do people prefer: Federation Force or Other M?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I also enjoyed Other M

I can relate to this. I've said in the past that even if a game were, for legitimate reasons, scored a 6 out of 10 consistently I might still consider playing it and I might still enjoy it if its good points are things I like enough. I sure wouldn't call it my favorite game, but I can safely say I would replay Other M before I replay NES Metroid, Fusion, or the single player of Hunters. As much as I like hunters. Its single player makes me sad.

EDIT: To get being controversial off my chest, I would go as far as to say several specific reasons people have for hating Other M are kind of ridiculous, comical, or bad.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Love how I'm gone for a minute and miss all the Resident Evil talk. Dammit, Leon is my pipe dream RE character. Has been since I played RE2. And goddamn does the remake look amazing.
I will be honest.
I have a feeling that we're not getting any characters that would add to this list of copyrights:

Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

No real reason to think so, just a feeling.
If you mean for base game, yeah, I can see that. DLC included though, I think that list is going to expand quite a bit more. I could definitely see it end up being:

© Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / Camelot Co. Ltd. / Microsoft Studios / Rare Ltd. / Ubisoft Entertainment SA / Bethesda Softworks LLC.

Like, I can REALLY see all those names being added plus maybe MORE. Call me an optimist.

Edit: Let's just take a moment to stop and look at both of those lists of names and remind ourselves that, yes, Nintendo, Namco-Bandai, Sega, Konami, Capcom, AND Square-Enix are apart of ONE GAME. That's incredible. And if it expands to that list I made just, phew.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Pipe Dream Characters?

• I would actually be super hyped if Infernape or Empoleon were playable, but that will never happen. Gen 4 was my first Pokemon game and I have too much nostalgia for it.
    • Actually, screw it. Darkrai would be absolutely insane.
  • Dark Matter from Kirby, except this one actually has a sliver of a chance.
  • Literally anybody from the Mother series.
  • I actually wouldn't mind Master Chief at all.
  • Fawful, even if he's just an echo for Bowser Jr.
  • undertale

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey, I kinda know how you feel, My favorite Pokemon Game is X and Y, and my my favorite Banjo Kazooie game is Nuts & Bolts. Of course, both of those games aren't that liked in each respective community. Sometimes, I feel like games get unneeded hate, just because they are different compared to the other games in their series.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I thought everybody's beef with Other M was mainly story
It is. It's just that the gameplay piles onto the problems like crazy. It's like that one meme of the news clip of Firefighers accidentally pouring gasoline on a fire and making it worse.

Betcha you would've recognized her immediately if it was a cheese sandwich with a beret

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Wheps. Sorry, I missed that part.
On another note, Who are you guy's manning? Obviously this question has been asked, lot's. But I'd like to have a more in depth discussion.
For example: I will be playing a good amount of charecters. Firstly, I'll be playing a whole lot a peach, partially because of an inside joke, mainly because I got used to SSF2, where she is my favorite charecter by far. Pick a charecter with good throw combos, probably sonic, because I played him in 4, and enjoy his games. Inkling, splatoon is an interesting series, and the high damage low K.O is appealing. Bayonetta. I'm the only person on the planet who likes ladder combos, but they might be gone, but the dual aggressive/campy-ness seems great, because I like playing both, just not in between. Megaman, megaman is the projectile charecter, which is my favorite. Wii Fit. Seems fun, and has the added bonus of pissing my friend who is attracted who her in a creepy way.
I've got a lot of characters I'm interested in checking out, simply because I like to see how they have changed since their last appearance. Some characters fell by the wayside, while others became more intriguing to use, so I likely won't finalize anything until I spend a good amount of time with Ultimate, but I'll list the ones I'm most interested in as of right now.

:ultpeach:: She's been a staple of mine since Melee, and even though she hasn't been my #1 most used since then, it's always fun for me to revisit her playstyle. I do prefer a slower, more methodical approach when I fight, and she fits the bill for me. It's part of the reason why I'm also interested in trying :ultdaisy: and checking out their differences.

:ultmegaman:: My most used character in Smash 4, and one of my favorite characters period, the way he was recreated was simply marvelous. Considering his moveset pulls from so many different games in the series, it is total fanservice to him, and I enjoyed using him because of it. He was also my first and most used in the 3DS demo, so I quickly adapted to his unique playstyle. I'm excited about finally incorporating Leaf Shield into my playstyle with him, as it was the one thing I disliked about using him in 4.

:ultsnake:: My most used in Brawl. His moveset of utilizing traps and powerful kicks was really endearing to me, and was very unique among everyone in the roster. I became a fan of his series through his appearance in Brawl, and I'm happy he's finally back for Ultimate. It feels like being reunited with a long lost friend.

:ultmewtwo:: How could I leave him out, as he's part of my namesake? I did like using him in Melee, though on a more casual basis since I couldn't win too many matches with him, his unique moveset and floatiness still convinced me to check him out from time to time. When he was announced as Smash 4 DLC though, I was beyond hyped, as I was among those who were disappointed in his absence in Brawl, and being able to use him again was so great. He's actually my #2 most used in Smash 4, possibly because of how buffed he was in comparison to Melee Mewtwo, but he felt right when playing as him.

:ultlink:: I have a bit of a history with Link in Smash. He was definitely my most used in 64 (plus Ocarina of Time blew my mind as a kid, so I naturally gravitated towards using him in Smash), and in Melee, he was probably my #2. But with Brawl and Smash 4, I just didn't have fun using him, so I adapted to :ulttoonlink: instead, who I do still plan to use in Ultimate. However, the changes that BotW Link has received to his moveset do intrigue me, and I am quite interested in seeing if he will become a main for me again.

These 5 are probably ones I'm most interested in in terms of veterans, but for unique newcomers, it will all depend on how they play. Priority for me will probably be :ultsimon:, :ultridley:, :ultinkling:, :ultisabelle: & :ultkrool:, though I am open to any of them being potential mains or secondaries. It is also possible that characters I left out on my list could become other mains or secondaries as well, and that's the beauty of it for me personally. Having a lot of choices will make for some interesting gameplay sessions, and it will be interesting to see who else makes the cut for both base roster and DLC, as I do intend to try out every character.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I can relate to this. I've said in the past that even if a game were, for legitimate reasons, scored a 6 out of 10 consistently I might still consider playing it and I might still enjoy it if its good points are things I like enough. I sure wouldn't call it my favorite game, but I can safely say I would replay Other M before I replay NES Metroid, Fusion, or the single player of Hunters. As much as I like hunters. Its single player makes me sad.
Exactly

It's when people start comparing games it all falls apart

The quality of games, movies and such shouldn't only be compared to other installments but also as stand-alone things

I feel like mankind has gotten "nit-pickier" over the last decade or so

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
My pipedream characters:

Empty Roster.png
When it comes to Gengar and Trevenant, I wouldn't mind one getting in over the other if such a thing were to happen. I just want a ghost type.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's like Bowsette, but if the Super Crown turned everyone into Lyn.
. . . Now I'm curious to see how that would work on other Fire Emblem Lords, but scared to ever bring that upon the world.
Lyncina
LynChrom
Lynsabelle
Lynk
Lynkachu
Lynchu
Lyncas
Lynttle Mac
PaLyntena

Soon, Everyone is Lyn! Say hello to Super Lyn Sisters Ultimate! :troll:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Literally, the reason why I'm uncomfortable pairing up the second generation units with any of the first generation ones. I find it creepy.
To be honest I didn't even know that was an option until my brother told me his Robin married Lucina on his playthrough.

I thought those S's couldn't possibly mean marriage.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
When it comes to Nintendo characters my pipe dream would be my favorite starter Pokémon

Emboar

I love that 3rd fire/fighting type starter in a row

majora_787

Smash Hero
Exactly

It's when people start comparing games it all falls apart

The quality of games, movies and such shouldn't only be compared to other installments but also as stand-alone things

I feel like mankind has gotten "nit-pickier" over the last decade or so
There's a place and a need for some number of people who are nit-picky, but not everyone needs to be like that. And sometimes, people who are nit-picky can be wrong. Or insanely hypocritical. And then being nit-picky stops being valuable. So it's just one of those things, I guess.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I had to dissapear due to work related reasons and saw a ton of people say they wanted to join a group of...well at least semi-casual to competitive players for when the game releases.

Did I miss that the group was created??? Because I definitely want to sign up (get some use out of my Nintendo Online Subscription lol)!

Edit: Forgive any typos you saw...

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
My personal pipe dream characters would be:

Buzzwole as our Gen 7 Rep
Jack Frost from SMT
Tiki and/or Anna from FE
And Chibi-Robo :(

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
WOAH WOAH WOAH
I just hopped in this thread only to see people say Mario Odyssey wasn't good?
And that 3D World was better??
REALLY???
ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In Other M's defense, as a video game, it's not that bad and it's fairly enjoyable.

As a Metroid game, it doesn't live up to expectations of the rest Except federation force and fails to meet requirements.

But I wonder, what do people prefer: Federation Force or Other M?
Other M.

Granted, it's like asking if I want to write a book report on this boring, unnecessary side story or that poorly written book with pictures of TnA sprinkled throughout. The point is I don't want to write a book report. I wanna go play a Metroid game.

WOAH WOAH WOAH
I just hopped in this thread only to see people say Mario Odyssey wasn't good?
And that 3D World was better??
REALLY???
ARE YOU KIDDING ME????
Get out of my bunker! THIS IS A SAFE SPACE DAMMIT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom