• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
So I’ve got a question, and I hope this won’t start a flame war, but how would you guys react to someone who would honest to God campaign to see Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker for Smash with their main arguments being Star Wars’s iconicness and the fact that a good portion of Star Wars games (Super Star Wars trilogy, Rouge Squadron games, Shadows of The Empire, Jedi Knight Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy IIRC, and The Force Unleashed) have been released either exclusively or multi platform for Nintendo consoles, despite the fact that they are not video game characters?

Keep in mind, I am not seriously asking for Star Wars in Smash, I’m asking you all this merely to see what your reaction would be if someone seriously pulled for this.
As much as i love the star wars original trilogy, and even like the prequels, and ADORE the force awakens, rogue squadron, KoTOR, and many of the star wars games that weren't violated by EA.. Would never want a star wars character in Smash

Not even my all time favorite Revan who happens to originate from a Video Game.

However Soul Calibur 4 did have Vader Yoda and Starkiller, imo yoda shoulda been luke or obi wan instead.. But if you want a Star Wars character in a fighting game there you go, hell maybe since that one dude from walking dead (dont remember name dont watch not a fan of zombie stuff usually so dont lynch me) is being put in tekken 7 maybe well get Vader in that as well.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Good things about Fates:
-The gameplay
-90% of Conquest's map design
-Forrest

You know they did something right with Forrest when he's in my Top 5 and the next Awakening/Fates character is nowhere near the Top 20.
You know, that's fair. I was so turned away by the story, writing, character design and the majority of the cast that I forgot how the gameplay in Conquest was actually really good. I feel that we don't bring that up enough.

NineS

Smash Lord
How did I know I'd get a reply from you when I put 2B in. :laugh:
You summoned me the moment you posted her image. I will take all bait involving her. You knew what you were getting into.

On another note. I'd love for Mewtwo to get his armor from the Pokemon Movie. Especially considering they're remaking the first Pokemon Movie for next year.

Doubt it'll happen, but hey. I'd throw my money at it, for my favorite Pokemon.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Read towards the bottom of the post again. I was keeping it to new franchises. If we went into Sonic and other series who already got playable characters, that list would be twice as long, and I already missed some.

I wouldn't care. Because I never got into Star Wars. And if I had to be forced to pick a Non-Game character I'd probably go with a Marvel or DC character first.
Wheps. Sorry, I missed that part.
On another note, Who are you guy's manning? Obviously this question has been asked, lot's. But I'd like to have a more in depth discussion.
For example: I will be playing a good amount of charecters. Firstly, I'll be playing a whole lot a peach, partially because of an inside joke, mainly because I got used to SSF2, where she is my favorite charecter by far. Pick a charecter with good throw combos, probably sonic, because I played him in 4, and enjoy his games. Inkling, splatoon is an interesting series, and the high damage low K.O is appealing. Bayonetta. I'm the only person on the planet who likes ladder combos, but they might be gone, but the dual aggressive/campy-ness seems great, because I like playing both, just not in between. Megaman, megaman is the projectile charecter, which is my favorite. Wii Fit. Seems fun, and has the added bonus of pissing my friend who is attracted who her in a creepy way.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
in this house we stan for 2B.

One of the most interesting things about Smash is learning about what characters people relate to! I don't understand the FE love, but I'm guessing it's because you love the game they're from, right?
The only Nintendo character I relate to is Regigigas.

I want G*ku
why is this censored? is Goku a racial slur now or something?

Wait, who is this? She looks familiar. Is she from Resident Evil?

So I’ve got a question, and I hope this won’t start a flame war, but how would you guys react to someone who would honest to God campaign to see Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker for Smash with their main arguments being Star Wars’s iconicness and the fact that a good portion of Star Wars games (Super Star Wars trilogy, Rouge Squadron games, Shadows of The Empire, Jedi Knight Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy IIRC, and The Force Unleashed) have been released either exclusively or multi platform for Nintendo consoles, despite the fact that they are not video game characters?

Keep in mind, I am not seriously asking for Star Wars in Smash, I’m asking you all this merely to see what your reaction would be if someone seriously pulled for this.
I see potential, so long as the Down-B isn't another ****ing counter.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You summoned me the moment you posted her image. I will take all bait involving her. You knew what you were getting into.

On another note. I'd love for Mewtwo to get his armor from the Pokemon Movie. Especially considering they're remaking the first Pokemon Movie for next year.

Doubt it'll happen, but hey. I'd throw my money at it, for my favorite Pokemon.
Considering his moveset is clearly influenced by his movie appearance, it'd be a good fit.

It's a shame I really don't like his moveset, or Mewtwo would have been a Melee main for me, and beyond. Aside from my odd fascination with Magmar, Mewtwo/Scizor/Sneasel are my favorite 'mons. They were all so ****ing cool when I was nine.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I hate when people complain that they brought the Pair Up system back for Fates, dismissing it as a bad mechanic. Their revamped Pair Up system was one of the best parts about that game's gameplay, since it was fixed to actually serve it's intended purpose as a tactical option with both upsides and downsides rather then just made it stupidly easy to steamroll through everything with a single super unit. It also made unit positioning more important then it ever was before. I won't lie that I'm slightly disappointed that it's missing from Three Houses, but hopefully that's a sign that they're taking a step away from all the waifu-pandering of the 3DS age.
I'd say :ultrobin,if they count, and :ultcorrin: are the worst lords. Don't know much about Ephriam.
Not trying to pick a fight. Just stating my two cents.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Corrin.

Corrin's easily the worst, no question. Although I was in the boat who requested them for Smash and still play them to this day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good things about Fates:
-The gameplay
-90% of Conquest's map design
-Forrest

You know they did something right with Forrest when he's in my Top 5 and the next Awakening/Fates character is nowhere near the Top 20.
Things I liked about Awakening, Fates, and Echoes Shadows of Valentia:
-The Music
-The Visuals
-Inigo/Laslow, Oboro, and Alm
...Uh, that's about it lol.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait, who is this? She looks familiar. Is she from Resident Evil?
Yep. Jill Valentine in her REmake look.

Guess I should've listed names, but I was hoping fellow fans would know who individual ones were. Like NineS NineS :laugh:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I got a topic for ya'll.

Who are your pipedream characters? Meaning characters who are next to impossible.
Mine are Fossil Fighter, Master Chief, Badge Bunny, and Vaati.
I've already talked about Phoenix Wright and Nathan Drake... so I'll list a few others.

Commander Shepard

Sceptile

Silas

...and Saber

There are probably more, but these guys come to mind.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
A Resident Evil character would be a "pipe dream" of mine I don't care if it's Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Ada Wong, or Albert Wesker. It would be the ONLY 3rd party choice/character I personally would get even an ounce of excitement out of joining Smash (that's not already in) instead of rolling my eyes and sighing.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
My pipe dream characters are as follows:

Phoenix Wright
Chandelure
Kiseki Characters
Dr. Luigi
Koishi
Can't disagree there. I really like all three of the FE7 lords, it's just that Hector and Eliwood edge her out in my eyes. It's like the Alola starters. Even if Incineroar is my least favorite of the three I still really like him...I just like Primarina's slightly more and adore the hell out of Decidueye.

My opinion on both trios just sort of mirrors each other. :p Deciduector, Lyncineroar, and Primawood.
1539291460866.png

Sorry.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
what’s that video even prove? it only shows like 6 games and half of them he does nothing in them. Like it shows Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot where he just gives you items. Again, no different from the generic toads in NSMB

Just admit he’s a generic side character that you want in Smash because you like him.

Do you even pay attention

Super Star, opponent in a minigame.
Super Star Ultra, supporting antagonist with a speaking role in Return of the King.
Mass Attack; Cameo.
Return to Dream Land, Player 4.
Rainbow Curse, Player 2.
Triple Deluxe and Robot: Helper.
Those 2 3DS Eshop games I always forget the names of: Deuteragonist and Friendly Hub Room Guy, each with speaking roles.
Star Allies: The very first Dream Friend you have access to, essentially Player 2.

And if you think he's 'generic' you, again, are not even paying attention. He has a distinct costume, a different shade from other Waddle Dees, a weapon no other Waddle Dee can use, is a named character by HAL's own standards and is treated as his own character on the various official Kirby websites he appears on, and appears alongside the main trio in promotional artwork and materials.

You're just ignoring the facts that are being presented to you if you think he isn't cemented as the 4th main character at this point. Reducing an argument to 'durr hurr you just like them' only proves you can't hold a real argument.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
All of the FE7 Lords are valid shut up
Oh, you're brave, telling me to "shut up"

I actually kind of felt sorry for Eliwood when his Valentine's alt showed up in Heroes with a quote saying "do you think this will make me more popular?" when he gets a good level-up. It's kind of bad when he needs a spin-off mobile game to make me feel anything towards him, though, in FE7 itself he's just... there. I don't dislike him, nor do I particularly like him, I'm just indifferent to him. Which is probably the worst thing a character can make you feel, really.

Lyn's not exactly bad, either. Just way overrated. If she wasn't the first main character most western fans of the series encountered, she wouldn't be half as popular. Again she just makes me feel somewhat indifferent towards her. Her part of the game is an overgrown tutorial that you won't want to play more than once, she contributes nothing of note to the main story, and her character just ends up feeling underdeveloped overall.

Hector's cool, though.

Ah right.

Ephraim will come and beat me up with four man army while invalidating his sister's reason for existance.

I forgot...

For real though... his personality is done better by Hector. His plot has no darn arc and he ruins his sister's arc by making her efforts pointless. Even the sympathetic villain is made more dickish around him, cause we can't give Ephraim anything that might challenge him.

I frustrated that in an effort to make him cool, they effectively ruin everything else.
Honestly, I don't disagree, I just wanted to make the obvious joke response. :p I like him, but he could have been done better. Of the two, I like Eirika and her story much better, it's just a shame that in terms of gameplay, she got the slightly shorter end of the stick.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On another note, Who are you guy's manning? Obviously this question has been asked, lot's. But I'd like to have a more in depth discussion.
For example: I will be playing a good amount of charecters. Firstly, I'll be playing a whole lot a peach, partially because of an inside joke, mainly because I got used to SSF2, where she is my favorite charecter by far. Pick a charecter with good throw combos, probably sonic, because I played him in 4, and enjoy his games. Inkling, splatoon is an interesting series, and the high damage low K.O is appealing. Bayonetta. I'm the only person on the planet who likes ladder combos, but they might be gone, but the dual aggressive/campy-ness seems great, because I like playing both, just not in between. Megaman, megaman is the projectile charecter, which is my favorite. Wii Fit. Seems fun, and has the added bonus of pissing my friend who is attracted who her in a creepy way.
Sticking with Mega Man myself. He's already a fun character, so I'm happy he seems stronger this time around.

Depending on how much Ridley or Simon meshes with me, I might drop Ike down to my #3 character.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Say what you will about Pokemblem: Sunbirth and Pokemblem: Moonquest, but they had some stellar Pokemon designs.
Lilith.png

Pokemblem Ultrevalations is easily the worst "third version" in the entire franchise, however.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'd say :ultrobin,if they count, and :ultcorrin: are the worst lords. Don't know much about Ephriam.
Not trying to pick a fight. Just stating my two cents.
Robin is a great character. How you gonna lump them and that watching-paint-dry of a lord Corrin together

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A Resident Evil character would be a "pipe dream" of mine I don't care if it's Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Ada Wong, or Albert Wesker. It would be the ONLY 3rd party choice/character I personally would get even an ounce of excitement out of joining Smash (that's not already in) instead of rolling my eyes and sighing.
You know what?

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
You know, I wonder why it took until Ultimate to finally give the DK series an assist trophy.

Just hope the likes of Punch-Out, Yoshi, and FF will get ones as well.

It's strange the likes of Anna and Tiki weren't made into assists yet, seeing as how those two are the most recurring in said franchise of FE.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
:ultjigglypuff: - Been playing her as a fun/joke fighter since Melee, but eventually started to learn some actual strategies, and man is she fun to play as. The aerial mobility is insane and Rest has to be one of the most satisfying finishing moves to pull off. To boot, I just love the adorable, half-asleep personality that sticks out so much compared to the hardcore, serious characters.
:ultridley: - One of my favorite villains ever, so I'm for sure going to give him a go. I tend to like heavies already, but throw in a projectile and that "drag your opponent across the ground" move and I think we could have a real winner. Still need to get my hands on him obviously, but the combination of my love for the character and the solid moveset makes me believe he'll be getting a lot of playing time.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Where's the love for this guy?
View attachment 169316
I know that guy. Give me a moment to remember his name. He's an Australian marsupial who spins and collects fruits. He fights a short, big-headed doctor with the aid of of a talking mask and his blonde, tech-savvy sister. He has quiet possibly the best dance moves in video game history and his inclusion would make a lot of people go "Woah!"

Dankey Kang?

Lyn is boring and the only reason she isn't my least favourite of the FE7 lords is because somehow Eliwood manages to be even more boring. If she completely vanished from existence you wouldn't even notice she was missing from the game. Obviously there's more to my distaste for her than that, but I'm too lazy to talk any more about it right now. :p
Boo! Your opinion is wrong! :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Robin is a great character. How you gonna lump them and that watching-paint-dry of a lord Corrin together
Because I don't like them? Both of them aren't really my favorite Fire Emblem protagonists to be honest.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Say what you will about Pokemblem: Sunbirth and Pokemblem: Moonquest, but they had some stellar Pokemon designs.
View attachment 169372
Pokemblem Ultrevalations is easily the worst "third version" in the entire franchise, however.
It's a shame that I can only like this post once.

NineS

Smash Lord
You know what?

So, are you all saying you'd be happy if Tofu got in?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Pipe dreams?
Literally everyone on here

Metal Face, Waluigi, Fiora
Caeda, Hades, Wonder Red
Black Knight, Minerva, Hector
Celica, Frederick, Tyranitar
Ephraim, Darkrai, Lianna

Kiryu Kazuma, Fulgore
Dante, Alisa
Artorias, Master Chief
P3 Protagonist (literally impossible), Nightmare

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
How did I know I'd get a reply from you when I put 2B in. :laugh:

Robin's not a lord, but Corrin totally is.

Also fight me. Robin's the best.
Except Robin is a lord. He has a unique class, is a main character in the story, and if he dies it is game over. The only lord clause he doesn't have is the seize command but Awakening doesn't have seize maps.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
You know what?

Now that I think about it Arthur from Ghouls N' Ghosts would also be pretty cool and not feel "forced" as a 3rd party newcomer compared to other characters I see being thrown around. While I wouldn't mind him being playable, I'd love to see him as an assist trophy at least.

D

Deleted member

Lol fair enough. I was being cheeky since I love Robin but hate Corrin
Lol it's okay. To me, Robin and Corrin are The Original Mass Effect Trilogy's Shepard, but minus anything and everything that made Shepard work. But that's just me, so no biggie.

Also staindgrey staindgrey and NineS NineS nice to see some Resident Evil fans! I'm one too.

NineS

Smash Lord
Something that always bothered me about Fates: You can have Corrin marry Azura.
And they don't tell you she's Corrin's cousin.

Which is something that bothered me about Awakening: You can have Robin marry any of the kids from the future.
The problem with that is that the kids in the present, Robin's time, don't even exist yet, or they're babies.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
God, don't even get me started on my conflicted feelings over RE6.

I will take over this whole damn thread.
RE6 wasn't THAT bad and in fact I'd say it gets a LOT of unneeded hate...but then again this is coming from the guy who LOVED Other M (it's my favorite Metroid game) and thinks Mario Odyssey is the most overrated Nintendo game ever released... *runs out of thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom