• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm still a little upset that I caved on the DLC. Originally I wasn't going to buy it, but then I saw Azura, Minerva and Olivia were all in it-- conveniently one in each pack-- and I got the season pass.

It's only $20, not the end of the world, but I regret getting it still. Just playing as those three characters after already beating the majority of the game is a waste.
All of the DLC characters were FANTASTIC choices- which makes them feel even more dirty because they're all fan favorites who were clearly held back purely to be DLC. HW did that too, but at least every single one of them were unique, we got new weapons from them, and the Adventure mode maps were MILES above how History Mode was handled.

D

Deleted member

I got a topic for ya'll.

Who are your pipedream characters? Meaning characters who are next to impossible.
Mine are Fossil Fighter, Master Chief, Badge Bunny, and Vaati.
Just look at the support threads I own in my sig+Wonder Red.
Saber, Crono, Hitmonchan, basically abyone from Etrian Odyssey and a character I actually like from FE.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I don't disagree. Sound argument. Though I would personally replace Camilla with Leo to keep a mounted mage in the game and remove the Minerva clone.

Also I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dislike Camilla as a character.
I guess I'm one of the extremely rare fans of her. Everyone I know that plays or heard of the game don't like her at all. Do understand the dislike though.

I got a topic for ya'll.

Who are your pipedream characters? Meaning characters who are next to impossible.
Midna at this rate. Slowly becoming a less buzz character unless she pops in another game, which is next to impossible.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Geno is the Boba Fett of the Smash fandom. He struck a chord with people because he looks cool and fan demand keeps him alive.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just an amusing comparison.
Huh, never thought of him like that...
So does Tecmo Koei strike anyone as the odd man out when it comes to third party companies? They've been making games since the NES.

The Zelda cast of characters has no hyrule warriors rep yet... Impa? Linkle?

I feel like Ryu Hayabusa needs to happen.
Yeah, I feel like Ryu Hayabusa is the final character in terms of NES representation

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I guess I'm one of the extremely rare fans of her. Everyone I know that plays or heard of the game don't like her at all. Do understand the dislike though.
No, she is very popular. She tends to score very high on polls and has a ton of fan art.

But her hatebase is also very vocal. Even I, who usually can't stand hatebases, can't help but express my extreme dislike for her from time to time.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I got a topic for ya'll.

I've got one choice that takes priority above the rest:

300px-Community_Heavy_Strategy_Header.png

Some TF2 in Smash would be amazing if done right. That absolutely includes the big man and face of the game itself.

Maybe I'll make a support thread for the Heavy at some point; I've considered doing it before.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Forget only 3 Shadow Dragon characters, forget Valentia/Jugral/Elibe/Magvel/Tellius being ignored, Azura not being on the base roster in FE Warriors was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. She should have been priority number frickin' one for Fates after Corrin and would have given us a sorely need on foot lancer but nooooooooo….we apprarently needed Every. Single. Royal. Sibling.

God, the lead up to that game was a complete disappointment.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh no, you're not alone at all. She's very popular.

Those of us who don't like her are just very loud about it. :b:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I got a topic for ya'll.

Rhythm Heaven Reporter, Wurmple, Hades, Master Chief, Cooking Mama, CDI King, and Ninjabread Man (We need a character to represent the Wii Shovelware)

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I got a topic for ya'll.

Brian from quest 64.

Not close to my most wanted character of course, but I’d be pleasantly surprised if that game got any sort of recognition. It’s one of those games I feel had potential to be a solid series if they had just polished the first game up a bit better.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since Sakurai said "steamlined" I expect there will be four ways of unlocking characters.

1. Amiibo
2. Vs. Matches (Such as per 5 or 10 vs. matches you unlock a character)
3. Spirits
4. Some characters getting unlocked in certain ways (Unlocking Dark Samus by beating Classic Mode with Samus or unlocking Peach by playing on a Mario stage once or few times)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's funny, I'm not a Fates fan but I loved Camilla. She was one of the redeeming parts of the game for me. She was just a ton of fun. Apart from Anna she's in my most-wanted FE reps.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
One of the most interesting things about Smash is learning about what characters people relate to! I don't understand the FE love, but I'm guessing it's because you love the game they're from, right?
:ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja: Cause Pokémon is probably my all-time favorite Nintendo franchise
:ultfox::ultwolf: Cause I do like Star Fox; also my favorite animals are 2) foxes and 1) wolves
:ultdarksamus: Cause I love Aliens (the movie), Venom, and Metroid Prime renewed my interest in the series
:ultlucario: its my favorite Pokémon
:ultpit: I was insanely a loyal fan of this long-dead franchise since the LATE 80s and I never gave up hope that a new Kid Icarus would one day appear on the SNES...okay the N64...the GC? Wii???? OH S&$^ THEY ANNOUNCED PIT FOR BRAWL GODDAMN HE GOT AN AWESOME REDESIGN!!!!! NEW KID ICARUS FOR WII!!!!!!!!...no?...Really?! 3DS?? I'll take it!
:ultkirby: My absolute favorite game character ever...!!!

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I just thought of something...how come we don't have any ghost fighters for smash? I mean like, legit ghosts.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Chrom's a character that I hold a ton of sentimental value for. Like, blow for blow he's my favorite video game character. :p

Yeah no. Archanea should absolutely not have been shafted as much as it was, but that'd just be making the problem worse. Also Marth without Caeda would be an absolute crime and thankfully even the devs thought so.
Chrom is fantastic, man. He is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best Lord in the series. He's got just the right amount of personality, character flaws, and everything in between. The Young Lion is fine too, but I have absolutely zero reason to ever look at him again now that Chrom is in.
...I just hope his model improves a little bit. It's a taaaad rough.

And yeah, the solution is NOT to cut down Shadow Dragon even more. I honestly think a balance of 3 per numbered entry (which would allow the likes of Shadow Dragon and the Radiance games to double dip, as they honestly should) would be the absolute best way to handle a Warriors 2, with the DLC being some slightly more out there picks. It would still have obvious omissions from each series no matter how they went about picking who, but I still think that's the best way it could be handled. That's just me, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't disagree. Sound argument. Though I would personally replace Camilla with Leo to keep a mounted mage in the game and remove the Minerva clone.

Also I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dislike Camilla as a character.
I don't like her either but not only is she extremely popular, but she also helps with the gender balance.
also just add forrest if you want a mounted mage

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, as far as this whole guessing game/support goes this time around, the major 3rd party characters people want seem to be....

Ryu Hayabusa
Heihachi
Nightmare
Sora
Geno
Lara
Crono
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright
Banjo-Kazooie
Steve
Shantae
Rayman
Doom Slayer

No particular order, but I'm mostly going by the series that don't already have characters(i,e No Ken, Mega Man X/Zero, Tails/Shadow ect.), and have decent-ish support. Obviously not all of them can/will get in, but I'm trying to quickly get a hold of the current consensus.

Others like Fulgore, Jill Valentine and Layton don't have much support from what I've seen, nor Scopion/Sub-Zero. But it isn't non-existent.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd just really like a crossover Fire Emblem game that has both a stellar selection of characters and fun action combat.

When's Soul Calibur x Fire Emblem, Bamco/Ninty?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, as far as this whole guessing game/support goes this time around, the major 3rd party characters people want seem to be....

Ryu Hayabusa
Heihachi
Nightmare
Sora
Geno
Lara
Crono
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright
Banjo-Kazooie
Steve
Shantae
Rayman
Doom Slayer

No particular order, but I'm mostly going by the series that don't already have characters(i,e No Ken, Mega Man X/Zero, Tails/Shadow ect.), and have decent-ish support. Obviously not all of them can/will get in, but I'm trying to quickly get a hold of the current consensus.

Others like Fulgore, Jill Valentine and Layton don't have much support from what I've seen, nor Scopion/Sub-Zero. But it isn't non-existent.
Where's the love for this guy?
Crash_Bandicoot.png

D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayabusa
Heihachi
Nightmare
Sora
Geno
Lara
Crono
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright
Banjo-Kazooie
Steve
Shantae
Rayman
Doom Slayer

*Looks at Crono's support thread*
Yeah, I wouldn't call him a major request

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
So here's a question for everybody. It's December 7, you finally pop that sweet, sweet Super Smash Bros. Ultimate cartridge into your switch. What's the first thing you do?

For me, I'll probably jump into a quick match against the ai with my boy, Mario and test out the new feel. Then I'll probably get to work unlocking characters, however that is done, probably a dedicated mode.
  1. Go into Training
  2. Learn the controls, get 'em down
  3. SPIRITS MODE

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Real talk. I loathe the term "waifu" and the creepy culture it represents.

That said, I cannot deny that I've gravitated toward female characters in basically every fighting game I've played. Thanks?
Once you ignore the creepy parts of “waifu”, it’s a perfectly safe name

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Let's play a game: Make a roster for a Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion sequel. Don't worry, gameplay will be fixed in this hypotethical game.
Only rule is that all the characters from the first game return, including the XL version exclusives.
I would add.
  • Ed, Edd, Eddy (can switch like:ultpokemontrainer:)
  • Courage
  • Fin
  • Marceline
  • Steven
  • Garnet
  • Tom (Toonami)
  • Mandark
  • Generator Rex

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just thought of something...how come we don't have any ghost fighters for smash? I mean like, legit ghosts.
How many ghosts in gaming are Iconic? The closest I can think of is Scorpion from Mortal Kombat being a sort of specter. We could get a Ghost Pokemon I guess.

Where's the love for this guy?
View attachment 169316
See, I knew I was gonna forget someone.

*Looks at Crono's support thread*
Yeah, I wouldn't call him a major request
I hear people actually talk about him.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Ryu Hayabusa
Heihachi
Sora
Geno
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright
Banjo-Kazooie
Steve
Shantae
Rayman
Doom Slayer
Crash Bandicoot
Lloyd Irving
Dante

Others like Fulgore, Jill Valentine, Nightmare, Lare, Crono and Layton don't have much support from what I've seen, nor Scopion/Sub-Zero. But it isn't non-existent.
Fixed that for you. You obviously based that off of the general thread here, which represents very little of the overall fandom.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I got a topic for ya'll.

Rash from Battletoads, it's easily my most played NES game, and he'd actually have quite a bit of potential aswell. Most importantly of all though he'd bring the pause music with him.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I got a topic for ya'll.

- Any FE character on a mount, like Forrest, Shiida, Minerva, Sigurd, etc
- Any character from Etrian Odyssey
- Maya Fey as a separate fighter from Phoenix Wright (I'd be cool with something similar to UMvC3 where she shows up for a few of his moves, though)
- Any non-video game character like Goku who would generate mountains of salt

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice

Ryu Hayabusa
Heihachi
Nightmare
Sora
Geno
Lara
Crono
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright
Banjo-Kazooie
Steve
Shantae
Rayman
Doom Slayer

You missed all of the sonic charecters people support, namely shadow, tails, knuckles, and eggman

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So here's a question for everybody. It's December 7, you finally pop that sweet, sweet Super Smash Bros. Ultimate cartridge into your switch. What's the first thing you do?

For me, I'll probably jump into a quick match against the ai with my boy, Mario and test out the new feel. Then I'll probably get to work unlocking characters, however that is done, probably a dedicated mode.
Unlock all of the characters as fast as I can...

D

Deleted member

I got a topic for ya'll.

Homura Akemi and Star Butterfly.

I've reached the point where the only two characters I want in are an anime character who isn't the main protagonist of her show, and a C-tier Disney cartoon character.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

First thing I'm going to do is see if that Amiibo trick actually works. Then I'm going into practice mode to see, of all the characters I've unlocked from Amiibos, which ones feel like they'd be good to start out with. Then I'm heading off to GameFAQs to unlock the rest of the roster ASAP.

If the Amiibo thing doesn't work, however, I'm just going to skip to going onto GameFAQs to unlock everything.

I liked her in Fire Emblem Warriors... the only Fire Emblem I've played.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, the thing that upsets me the most about FE Warriors is how it's actually probably the most fun Warriors game out there from a pure, core gameplay perspective.

I can't tell you how many times I had to double take when I commanded characters to go and capture a base, or take down an officer, and them actually doing so. No joke, it's the only Warriors game that I've played in which it actually feels like I have an army rather than being a one-man army. Commanding other characters, keeping in mind the weapon triangle for said characters (Since the AI of course preforms better when they have the advantage), pairing up units, it seriously is a fantastic fusion of tactics and combat. Being able to stop, open up my map and go "okay, what's my next move" rather than "Okay what side of the map do I have to run to to wipe out all the enemies myself" was SO refreshing. I remember unlocking Anna with me being like... 20 levels under her. It was nail bitingly tense, but thanks to ACTUAL STRATEGY I pulled out a win.

As a casual Warriors fan, I love it as a Warriors game. But the Fire Emblem half is just... So frustrating.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You guys already know what I'm about.
6b6c22723d378d2cee6649b4196f6485.jpg

That's right, Jibanyan for smash

Okay, but no seriously, give me Demi-fiend. That or another SMT protagonist.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I got a topic for ya'll.

Let me think

Characters who Could be in smash but are next to impossible (video game characters):

Scorpion
Doom Guy
Dante... actually im sure i made a list last night of these

Character who will NEVER be in smash (isnt a video game character)

Geralt of Rivia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom