• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
Let's play a game: Make a roster for a Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion sequel. Don't worry, gameplay will be fixed in this hypotethical game.
Only rule is that all the characters from the first game return, including the XL version exclusives.
Sure, I'll go:
  • Ben
  • Kevin
  • Vilgax
  • Young Ben
  • Captain Planet
  • Chowder
  • Numbah One
  • Father
  • Toiletnator
  • Dexter
  • Monkey
  • Mac and Bloo
  • Billy and Mandy
  • Grim
  • Hoss Delgado
  • Johnny Bravo
  • Flapjack
  • Captain K'nuckles
  • Blossom
  • Buttercup
  • Bubbles
  • Mojo Jojo
  • Him
  • Samurai Jack
  • Aku
  • Scotsman

• Courage
  • Mandark
  • Finn and Jake
  • Marceline
  • Princess Bubblegum
  • Ice King
  • Mordecai
  • Rigby
  • Gumball
  • Uncle Grandpa
  • Steven Universe
  • Garnet
  • Amethyst
  • Pearl
  • K.O.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
My favorite newcomer is still :ultinkling: .
It's been seven months and they're still my main, that's impressive.
What can I say? I love Splatoon.

The first thing i'm gonna do when I pop in the game is have an eight player match with each of the original eight, with me as :ultpikachu:.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So here's a question for everybody. It's December 7, you finally pop that sweet, sweet Super Smash Bros. Ultimate cartridge into your switch. What's the first thing you do?

For me, I'll probably jump into a quick match against the ai with my boy, Mario and test out the new feel. Then I'll probably get to work unlocking characters, however that is done, probably a dedicated mode.
Since Brawl I have always welcomed a new smash game with a random only three stock match on Battle Field with whoever is with me (Brawl was my brother, 3DS was myself, Wii U was my dorm friends, and Ultimate will be my boyfriend).

After that honestly probably only play a few more matches but I'm more excited in the rest of the roster outside of the original 12 so I will probably work on unlocking them next however that is. Probably do that all night until I get the entire roster and skip work the next day via time off/sick time (shhhh don't tell on me!).

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
My favorite newcomer is still :ultinkling: .
It's been seven months and they're still my main, that's impressive.
What can I say? I love Splatoon.

The first thing i'm gonna do when I pop in the game is have an eight player match with each of the original eight, with me as Pikachu.
Promise me you'll refill your ink tanks. I see nothing but Inkling videos where once the players run out of ink, they just fight nerfed until they get KO'd.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hyrule Warriors: include everybody, even those that don't fight!

FE Warriors: eh, if it's not someone that's recent or important to the foundation of the series, it doesn't matter.

It's baffling how the reasoning behind the rosters of two Warriors spin-offs for different Nintendo franchises differs so much (even if Hyrule's wasn't optimal at first).
Because FE has a far wider selection of characters to choose from than Zelda. It's telling when the average FE game has enough of a cast to make a Warriors game alone. People expected way too much for the first entry in a new Musou series, you don't get Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate's roster just like that, you have to build up to it over multiple games.

Should a FE:W 3 or even 4 happen, then you'd actually have the Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate that people expected.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I dont know if I'm using my amiibo to unlock most of the roster. On the one hand, I hated how boring, unrewarding, and easy it was to unlock everyone in 4. On the other hand, I invested in 40 Smash amiibo, I feel entitled to reap them on day one.

I will use my Wolf amiibo, and maybe Pit and Lucario amiibo at least.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I dont know if I'm using my amiibo to unlock most of the roster. On the one hand, I hated how boring, unrewarding, and easy it was to unlock everyone in 4. On the other hand, I invested in 40 Smash amiibo, I feel entitled to reap them on day one.

I will use my Wolf amiibo, and maybe Pit and Lucario amiibo at least.
For myself, I don't like grinding matches/classic modes just to play as the characters I like.

Unlocking stuff is fun but I hope when Sakurai said streamlined, he means it and there is still options for people who like a challenge.

D

Deleted member

I'll wait to see what it takes to unlock characters before I decide to use the amiibo to unlock them right away.

I just woke up to a zillion alerts, only to find they're birthday wishes!

Thank you all so much!
Happy Birthday.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Amiibo talk...is the unlocking thing really happening? Cause if so...Pit will be free

Pakky

Smash Hero
Since Brawl I have always welcomed a new smash game with a random only three stock match on Battle Field with whoever is with me (Brawl was my brother, 3DS was myself, Wii U was my dorm friends, and Ultimate will be my boyfriend).

After that honestly probably only play a few more matches but I'm more excited in the rest of the roster outside of the original 12 so I will probably work on unlocking them next however that is. Probably do that all night until I get the entire roster and skip work the next day via time off/sick time (shhhh don't tell on me!).
I want a match against you :)

Also I would love the tournament that Pyra Pyra proposed a while back. Maybe it we'll be a good community think tank for finding tech and what not.

Also I must have a tiger match with @GoldenYuiitusin.

As for what I would do first, well I need to check out Spirits Mode. Whatever it is, I need to know.

Character I need to go through first.

:ultkrool::ultridley::ultinkling:
Are a must.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I havn’t seen anyone mention this but...You can put the healing field on the door on Saffron City, Maybe it was obvious, but it’s a pretty cool trap.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's not really that big of a deal. People get heated, say some mean(ish) things, and some get a little too intense. It'll pass, just like it does every other time.

If you want to stop talking about it and keep the discussion on Smash, just do it. If all of us just keep talking about how we're not talking about Smash, then what do you think the topic is going to be? lol.

So let's SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

Favorite newcomer?? Mine is K Rool, by far!!
My favorite new character is still Ridley. But Simon's a close second, then K.Rool and Dark Samus. I'll probably use Daisy over Peach, but I don't use Peach much anyways.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
At this point, I'd just prefer a FE Warriors 2 or something so we can pull from literally anything that isn't Fates Awakening or Shadow Dragon. Since they claim other characters from other games aren't possible until that happens.
I'd prefer to get my other characters who aren't Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon in the game where I've already unlocked basically everything, just so I don't have to start all over again.

Warriors games are such a time commitment.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm not gonna use any Amiibo, I wanna do things the hard way. It's more rewarding in my opinion.
So, as a birthday gift...some Inkling advice I got from playing the Best Buy Demo!
Not really advice I suppose, but more something about them. They have a learning curve. Maybe it’s because I just played Splatoon and Splatoon 2s Story Mode then stopped, but you’ll forget to fill your ink tank a lot.

More advice, Wander aimlessly with your roller. That’s how I won on sudden death against Ganondorf. (Ok I’m kidding don’t do that, but that is how I beat him lol)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'd prefer to get my other characters who aren't Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon in the game where I've already unlocked basically everything, just so I don't have to start all over again.

Warriors games are such a time commitment.
I see many waifus you worship...and Young Link...life approved

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
when I start up the game it's a four player three stock match with me as yoshi. he was my original main so I'll kick it off with him.

D

Deleted member

I'm not gonna use any Amiibo, I wanna do things the hard way. It's more rewarding in my opinion.
You have more restraint than me. I wanna play as the Inklings ASAP, so I will probably use my amiibo for that as soon as I boot up the game, lol.

The rest I'll unlock myself, however. It'll be more fun that way. :)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't have amiibo (unless B&K are announced *crosses fingers*). But for me unlocking characters hasn't been as rewarding as I'd like it to be--either too easy, or too cumbersome. If that turns out to be the case, if I had amiibo, I'd simply use them as it would be either too trivial, or not worth the effort. Since Sakurai said it's been streamlined, probably the former. I am hoping there's a good single player that makes it rewarding to unlock characters, though.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I see many waifus you worship...and Young Link...life approved
Real talk. I loathe the term "waifu" and the creepy culture it represents.

That said, I cannot deny that I've gravitated toward female characters in basically every fighting game I've played. Thanks?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I want a match against you :)

Also I would love the tournament that Pyra Pyra proposed a while back. Maybe it we'll be a good community think tank for finding tech and what not.

Also I must have a tiger match with @GoldenYuiitusin.

As for what I would do first, well I need to check out Spirits Mode. Whatever it is, I need to know.

Character I need to go through first.

:ultkrool::ultridley::ultinkling:
Are a must.
We should definitely schedule this! I'm pretty casual though so you might wipe me XD

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If the game doesn't keep track of which characters were unlocked via amiibo, then I might use a few to unlock two or three of my favorites.

I like doing things the old-fashioned way, but I also don't want to randomly unlock 30-50 characters before getting Rosalina, Mewtwo, and/or Ridley.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Inkling was my main from day one, and I know the moment she's unlocked she'll be my main focus, so i'm gonna wait to unlock her and try out every other character along the way. Maybe i'll find some new favorites.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
We should definitely schedule this! I'm pretty casual though so you might wipe me XD
I'm very intent on having a little tournament / group thing for the few of us in here that are interested. The looser group of people in here mostly just to have a good time and not screech about things

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So here's a question for everybody. It's December 7, you finally pop that sweet, sweet Super Smash Bros. Ultimate cartridge into your switch. What's the first thing you do?

For me, I'll probably jump into a quick match against the ai with my boy, Mario and test out the new feel. Then I'll probably get to work unlocking characters, however that is done, probably a dedicated mode.
Every Smash game from Melee and forward I've been playing against my older brother from the start, and this time will be no exception. Our first match in Melee was Jigglypuff vs Pikachu (was at a friend's place), and then in Brawl and Smash 4 it was Meta Knight vs Dedede, this time I imagine we'll head right into a Samus vs Donkey Kong match.

It won't be too long before I want to unlock characters though, I've waited for Ridley long enough as is, so hopefully if Spirits is the streamlined method of unlocking them it'll allow for 2 players, otherwise he'll just have to suck it up and wait for the space dragon to show up, which I'm sure he's willing to do as he's been a firsthand witness to my many frustrations from supporting the big guy over the years.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Due to my lack of amiibos, I'll have to unlock everything the old fashion way, which I'm honestly fine with.

But on the other hand, I most definitely want to buy a Snake and Simon amiibo when they come out, so maybe I'll end up unlocking them that way. I don't want to miss out on the amiibos I want like I did in the Smash 4 days.

D

Deleted member

I'm very intent on having a little tournament / group thing for the few of us in here that are interested. The looser group of people in here mostly just to have a good time and not screech about things
If only online was still free...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If the game doesn't keep track of which characters were unlocked via amiibo, then I might use a few to unlock two or three of my favorites.

I like doing things the old-fashioned way, but I also don't want to randomly unlock 30-50 characters before getting Rosalina, Mewtwo, and/or Ridley.
My friends and I are choosing one amiibo each to get our planned mains before our first match. Then no amiibo after that.

They're :ultdaisy::ultlittlemac::ultinkling::ultdoc:. Everyone else will be organic while we play into the early morning.

D

Deleted member

Inkling was my main from day one, and I know the moment she's unlocked she'll be my main focus, so i'm gonna wait to unlock her and try out every other character along the way. Maybe i'll find some new favorites.
NGL, I'm seriously considering maining Mario again. All of the footage I've seen of him looks super slick and he looks like an absolute joy to play in this game, so when it comes to picking a secondary, it's probably gonna be him, Isabelle, Luigi, Wario, or K. Rool. I am interested in Ridley, but I think I gotta play as him first. Some of his kit looks a little off to me, and I'm unsure if I'll enjoy him or not. While I love playing as Samus, I'll probably be switching to DS simply because she represents my all time favorite Metroid game: Metroid Prime 2. I'll probably play some Corrin and DK as well.

The veterans I'm really interested in though are 'Dorf, Pichu, and Snake. Ganondorf especially looks hecka fun and has been a favorite of mine since Melee, so I could see myself putting some time into playing him again if he ends up good enough. For the love of all that is good, please don't be Smash 4 'Dorf...

I'm also hoping for some good Dedede buffs. He's easily my favorite Kirby character in Smash and I would love to see some of the weird jank he had in Smash 4 be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom