• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's not really that big of a deal. People get heated, say some mean(ish) things, and some get a little too intense. It'll pass, just like it does every other time.

If you want to stop talking about it and keep the discussion on Smash, just do it. If all of us just keep talking about how we're not talking about Smash, then what do you think the topic is going to be? lol.

So let's SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

Favorite newcomer?? Mine is K Rool, by far!!
Chrom, no questions asked. Best moment in Smash Bros. history for me was his reveal.

I'd prefer to get my other characters who aren't Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon in the game where I've already unlocked basically everything, just so I don't have to start all over again.

Warriors games are such a time commitment.
I still maintain that Shadow Dragon was robbed. The Shadow Dragon/Awakening/Fates ratio being 3/6/9 in the base game instead of 6/6/6 is something I will never agree with. Minerva should have been in the base game. Merric, Ogma, Jagen, and Hardin should have been in the game in general.

/rant

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Real talk. I loathe the term "waifu" and the creepy culture it represents.
The worst part is that if you express any like towards female characters, some people will just assume they're your "waifu", because apparently there's no reason to like female characters aside from sexual or romantic fantasies.

I've had people assume Myrrh is my waifu before, which is just...no. And now FEH is doing that creepy thing where they're insisting that she's an adult all of a sudden despite the fact that Sacred Stones never questioned that she was a child, but I digress.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So here's a question for everybody. It's December 7, you finally pop that sweet, sweet Super Smash Bros. Ultimate cartridge into your switch. What's the first thing you do?

For me, I'll probably jump into a quick match against the ai with my boy, Mario and test out the new feel. Then I'll probably get to work unlocking characters, however that is done, probably a dedicated mode.
Regrettably I will never be able to experience this. Cause I'm buying that **** digitally :troll:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm only gonna be able to unlock Mega Man, if the Amiibos work the way we think they do. But that's fine, I'll brute force the rest of it with the SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT! :ultmegaman:

They'll stay catchin these lemons.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
So here's a question for everybody. It's December 7, you finally pop that sweet, sweet Super Smash Bros. Ultimate cartridge into your switch. What's the first thing you do?

For me, I'll probably jump into a quick match against the ai with my boy, Mario and test out the new feel. Then I'll probably get to work unlocking characters, however that is done, probably a dedicated mode.
I’ve got a hot date with my Smash rival. Link(me) vs Fox(him). Since we only have the first 8? If we have the OG 12 I will be Ness. We’ll be on Final Destination and it will stage morph into Big Blue. 3 stock.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Chrom, no questions asked. Best moment in Smash Bros. history for me was his reveal.

I still maintain that Shadow Dragon was robbed. The Shadow Dragon/Awakening/Fates ratio being 3/6/9 in the base game instead of 6/6/6 is something I will never agree with. Minerva should have been in the base game. Merric, Ogma, Jagen, and Hardin should have been in the game in general.

/rant
And Camus too. I'm still baffled at the total lack of playable armours and no lance cavs whatsoever.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The worst part is that if you express any like towards female characters, some people will just assume they're your "waifu", because apparently there's no reason to like female characters aside from sexual or romantic fantasies.

I've had people assume Myrrh is my waifu before, which is just...no. And now FEH is doing that creepy thing where they're insisting that she's an adult all of a sudden despite the fact that Sacred Stones never questioned that she was a child, but I digress.
You just gotta ignore it. A lot of my favorite characters are girls, and I really enjoy designing female characters. Not because they're my waifu, but because that's just what I like.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I'll probably amiibo unlock Wario and depending on how tedious it is to unlock others, maybe more.

I'm planning on getting a K Rool amiibo for sure and *maybe* Dark Samus. Definitely getting a Shadow amiibo or ten if he makes it.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I like Paletuna, Havn’t played a Kid Icarus game, but her personality in the Paletunas guidance seems pretty funny.

D

Deleted member

I'll be preloading, so most of my first boot experience will probably be me mashing A on my home menu late at night until the game unlocks, lol.

Which is what I will also be doing with Luigi's Mansion on my 3DS tonight because that game is literally my childhood and I will probably spend more hours with it than I will care to admit. If I disappear from the thread for a while, you can blame it on Green Mario.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
It's not really that big of a deal. People get heated, say some mean(ish) things, and some get a little too intense. It'll pass, just like it does every other time.

If you want to stop talking about it and keep the discussion on Smash, just do it. If all of us just keep talking about how we're not talking about Smash, then what do you think the topic is going to be? lol.

So let's SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

Favorite newcomer?? Mine is K Rool, by far!!
If counting veterans: Snake by a mile. Honestly, Snake is one of the more important characters in Smash as every time he was revealed, it was something new for the series. In Brawl, he was the instigators for 3rd parties. In Ultimate, he was the character that emphasized everyone would be coming back.

If not counting vets: Chrom, though Ridley and SImon are great. Chrom was done MAD dirty in Smash 4 and seeing him in Ultimate as fully playable, I was very happy.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

My life, except:

"Hey WC! You're, like, a furry, right?"

...no?

"Yes, you are! Your handle is WolfCypher!"

I like wolves. I'm a dog-person.

"Like a fursona?"

Noo...I like dogs as animals. Some people like horses. Some people like turtles. I like canines.

"But you main Fox, Wolf, Lucario, you like Pokémon...look, you're just a furry."

...riiiiiight...got me pegged. Cause that's all it takes to be apart of the furry community. Guess I'm also crazy otaku, cause I like a few animè...

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
I just slap this up here, what about people who do like fictional charecters, and not even in a creepy way? (This isn't me, aside from a few inside jokes no one here is supposed to get) I know a couple people like this, so... What do they call it?
Obviously it's not okay when you assume, but stil.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*cracks knuckles*
  • Ben Tennyson
  • Young Ben Tennyson
  • Gwen Tennyson
  • Kevin Levin
  • Vilgax
  • Blossom
  • Bubbles
  • Buttercup
  • Mojo Jojo
  • Him
  • Dexter
  • Monkey
  • Mandark
  • Dee Dee
  • Chowder and Kimchi
  • Flapjack
  • Captain K'nuckles
  • Mac and Bloo
  • Billy and Mandy
  • Grim
  • Hoss Delgado
  • Numbuh One
  • Numbuh Five
  • Father
  • Toiletnator
  • Samurai Jack
  • Aku
  • Scotsman
  • Johnny Bravo
  • Ed, Edd 'n Eddy
  • Courage
  • Cooper with Megas XLR (shut up, it's possible)
  • Juniper Lee
  • Finn
  • Jake
  • Ice King
  • Princess Bubblegum
  • Marceline
  • Zak Saturday
  • Mordecai and Rigby
  • Lance, Ilana and Octus as a tag team
  • Gumball and Darwin
  • *sigh* Uncle Grandpa
  • Steven Universe
  • Garnet
  • Amethyst
  • Pearl
  • Grizzly, Panda and Ice Bear
  • Generator Rex (i can't believe i forgot him)
  • Captain Planet

There might be some I missed, but that would be a good "start"
I like this mainly because of Zak Saturday and Numbuh Five, I'd main the **** out of them.
I'll add some:
  • Generator Rex (Generator Rex)
  • TOM (Toonami)
  • Laslow (Camp Laslow)
  • Skips (Regular Show)
  • Chris McLean (Total Drama)
  • Adam and Jake (My Gym Partner's a Monkey)
  • Vambre and Prohyas (Magiswords)
If we can extend into Third Parties
  • Robin (Teen Titans)
  • Lion-O (ThunderCats)
  • Shaggy and Scooby Doo (Scooby Doo)
Chris would be too op as a playable character, he works better as the final boss of story mode

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I hope the character unlock method in SSBU is random every time. Even if that means K. Rool ends up being the last character I unlock.

I dont want to feel like "Already unlocked all the characters I cared about. Only the meh ones are left".

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
FEW should have used Telluis games instead of Shadow Dragon
As much as I like Ike and his cast and story, but have little interest in the rest of FE's lore, not having Marth would be dumb. He's the OG.

Maybe instead of trying to save up for a sequel that's not even set in stone, they just add in characters they know people like from the get.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Me @ this thread:
View attachment 169288

It's not about font size, it's about the font itself.

Yes there is. That's literally what everyone should expect from every game trailer they see.

Literally the Smash 4 demo lol

You still didn't explain WHY they would change the font though

I watched Dragon Prince, it's really good though I'm not a fan of the animation. And Dragon Pilot is also on my To Watch list but I'm supposed to watch it with my girlfriend and we haven't gotten to doing that yet.
>this entire post
yikes

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
FEW should have used Telluis games instead of Shadow Dragon
I say this as a guy who prefers Tellius over Archanea....Shadow Dragon is far more important. Having an FE:W game without Marth would be even more wrong then having one without Ike.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

/rant
You will get absolutely no argument from me. Plus the fact that Tiki was, like, the worst roster character doesn't help at all.

Knowing what the final roster is now, I would have taken out two Fates royal siblings from each side and added Azura to leave Fates with six, then added the three Shadow Dragon DLC characters into the base game to flesh out that part of the story and shorten the Fates part. (Fates's section of the game dragged on too long anyway.) Then, for the season pass, I'd add those Fates characters back in in the form of a Birthright pack and a Conquest pack, then keep the Awakening pack the same.

This leaves the Fates representation as more of an optional add-on for Fates fans specifically. And it puts a freaking lance user who isn't allergic to arrows in the base roster. Because why the hell did they put both lance infantry units into DLC??

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

/rant
One of the most interesting things about Smash is learning about what characters people relate to! I don't understand the FE love, but I'm guessing it's because you love the game they're from, right?

I get really hyped about the super silly and cartoony characters like K Rool, but a lot of you guys shrug at them. I don't get Isabelle either, but some of you guys go crazy for her.

I guess it shows that Sakurai is really doing a great job in making sure the newcomers reach (almost) every demographic! :)

MrArska

Smash Cadet
NNID
aapelix
Switch FC
SW 2908 1984 5094

Since our school has a free day a day after independence day (which happens to be december 6th Poggers) If the preorder comes Friday / I can get it from post early enough in the day, I'll either invite friends over or explore everything the game has to offer by myself. I think I'll just spend the weekend unlocking fighters and all the other stuff.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

/rant
Not to mention 2 of its 3 DLC characters were clones.

I mean, I'm glad Minerva gave me another Wyvern Rider so I'd never have to touch Camilla with a 10 foot pole ever again, But come on. Awakening got robbed in that regard, too.

Seriously, giving us mostly clones as DLC was not cool. The actual new characters were great, but still.

You will get absolutely no argument from me. Plus the fact that Tiki was, like, the worst roster character doesn't help at all.

Knowing what the final roster is now, I would have taken out two Fates royal siblings from each side and added Azura to leave Fates with six, then added the three Shadow Dragon DLC characters into the base game to flesh out that part of the story and shorten the Fates part. (Fates's section of the game dragged on too long anyway.) Then, for the season pass, I'd add those Fates characters back in in the form of a Birthright pack and a Conquest pack, then keep the Awakening pack the same.

This leaves the Fates representation as more of an optional add-on for Fates fans specifically. And it puts a freaking lance user who isn't allergic to arrows in the base roster. Because why the hell did they put both lance infantry units into DLC??
Tiki was one of the best, though. She's seriously one of the most powerful characters in the game. Granted, that's ONLY when you build her so that her Awakening gauge both fills up and stays filled up quicker and longer, but Tiki is insanely powerful.

She's the game's Young Link, who is also largely considered one of the most powerful in HW.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So does Tecmo Koei strike anyone as the odd man out when it comes to third party companies? They've been making games since the NES.

The Zelda cast of characters has no hyrule warriors rep yet... Impa? Linkle?

I feel like Ryu Hayabusa needs to happen.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I hope the character unlock method in SSBU is random every time. Even if that means K. Rool ends up being the last character I unlock.

I dont want to feel like "Already unlocked all the characters I cared about. Only the meh ones are left".
I'm the opposite, I'd rather have a clear goal in mind. I hope the process actually is streamlined in a meaningful way. Doing some menial task to unlock a character, and instead of getting someone I actually use like Ganon or Ryu, but I get greeted with Wii Fit Trainer or Villager instead would be pretty meh to me.

This also lets players go after certain events in the order that they choose to get what they want.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The thing that really killed FE: Warriors for me wasn't the roster, but how poorly the whole stat and skill system was balanced.

Yeah let's make Luck more important than both Attack and Defense combined when it comes to dealing/sustaining damage. Sigh...well, at least Luck isn't near worthless in that game.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So does Tecmo Koei strike anyone as the odd man out when it comes to third party companies? They've been making games since the NES.

The Zelda cast of characters has no hyrule warriors rep yet... Impa? Linkle?

I feel like Ryu Hayabusa needs to happen.
Ryu Hayabusa's still got shooters out here. He's an icon that makes a lot of sense.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I say this as a guy who prefers Tellius over Archanea....Shadow Dragon is far more important. Having an FE:W game without Marth would be even more wrong then having one without Ike.
Marth can be in like how Lyn and Celica are. I guess Tiki too, but I'd make her adult Tiki because **** that 1,000 year old loli ****

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
I got a topic for ya'll.

Who are your pipedream characters? Meaning characters who are next to impossible.
Mine are Fossil Fighter, Master Chief, Badge Bunny, and Vaati.

D

Deleted member

>this entire post
yikes
0f5d3210-d340-479b-be50-5f712cdced11.gif

If I were to decide on the Fates representation, I would have done: Corrin and Azura as the main duo; Xander and Ryoma as the main siblings; and Camilla and Takumi as the most popular siblings.
Hinoka and Leo are the least popular of their families and the younger sisters were really unnecessary.

D

Deleted member

Character unlocks will probably be tied to Spirits. If it's a story mode, unlocking characters will probably be part of the plot like Brawl's SSE.

You'll probably be able to unlock them from just playing any old mode just like other Smash games as well. I could also see the unlocks being thematic again, such as clearing classic with a certain character unlocks another. Events will probably be back and that'll unlock stuff too.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not to mention 2 of its 3 DLC characters were clones.

I mean, I'm glad Minerva gave me another Wyvern Rider so I'd never have to touch Camilla with a 10 foot pole ever again, But come on. Awakening got robbed in that regard, too.

Seriously, giving us mostly clones as DLC was not cool. The actual new characters were great, but still.

Tiki was like the best tho. She's seriously one of the most powerful characters in the game. Granted, that's ONLY when you build her so that her Awakening gauge both fills up and stays filled up quicker and longer, but Tiki is insanely powerful.
I'm still a little upset that I caved on the DLC. Originally I wasn't going to buy it, but then I saw Azura, Minerva and Olivia were all in it-- conveniently one in each pack-- and I got the season pass.

It's only $20, not the end of the world, but I regret getting it still. Just playing as those three characters after already beating the majority of the game is a waste.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One of the most interesting things about Smash is learning about what characters people relate to! I don't understand the FE love, but I'm guessing it's because you love the game they're from, right?

I get really hyped about the super silly and cartoony characters like K Rool, but a lot of you guys shrug at them. I don't get Isabelle either, but some of you guys go crazy for her.

I guess it shows that Sakurai is really doing a great job in making sure the newcomers reach (almost) every demographic! :)
Chrom's a character that I hold a ton of sentimental value for. Like, blow for blow he's my favorite video game character. :p
Marth can be in like how Lyn and Celica are. I guess Tiki too, but I'd make her adult Tiki because **** that 1,000 year old loli ****
Yeah no. Archanea should absolutely not have been shafted as much as it was, but that'd just be making the problem worse. Also Marth without Caeda would be an absolute crime and thankfully even the devs thought so.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What no child Tiki is the og manakete child. Besides we got this piece of gold from that;

But even aside from that, Shadow Dragon was the first FE game. That's like making a Pokemon crossover and suggesting that you add Pikachu as your only Gen 1 pokemon.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
I got a topic for ya'll.

Who are your pipedream characters? Meaning characters who are next to impossible.
I've said this in this thread before, but Six is from Little Nightmares is my main pipedream character.
I think she'd be really cool in Smash (with The Kid as an echo) but it'll never happen

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If I were to decide on the Fates representation, I would have done: Corrin and Azura as the main duo; Xander and Ryoma as the main siblings; and Camilla and Takumi as the most popular siblings.
Hinoka and Leo are the least popular of their families and the younger sisters were really unnecessary.
I don't disagree. Sound argument. Though I would personally replace Camilla with Leo to keep a mounted mage in the game and remove the Minerva clone.

Also I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dislike Camilla as a character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I got a topic for ya'll.

Does Mega Man X count? Because he's still my number one choice. That dude is what we in the business call, A REAL *****. Having a game with 2 of my 3 favorite Mega Men playable would be sick. Mega Man EXE's that 3rd one, so if he was chosen, that'd also be pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom