• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm not leaving this bunker until I get some answers!
What's wrong with the best Mario game in years Mario Odyssey?
Nothing's wrong with it. I actually quite enjoy it.

My problem lies in the THIS IS THE BEST MARIO EVER OMG hoopla surrounding it. I feel like it's... okay? Like it relies entirely on its quirkiness and its charm to bypass the fact that it's way too easy of a game. I feel like the open world aspect applied WAY better to Zelda than it did to Mario's star moon collecting. And I really don't feel like playing through Odyssey again after my first playthrough because, once the wonder's gone of that initial quirkiness, it's just an average platformer. Albeit, charming as hell.

I think the structured challenge of individual stages works much better for a Mario game than the open world concept, and I think that SM3DW (and more specifically, SM3DL, one of my favorites ever) are better games to go back to as a result. I just like them better. And while Odyssey is a fun and well-made game, I couldn't hop on board with the "GREATEST EVER" bandwagon when I liked its immediate predecessor better.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

But seriously I'm just messing with you. I've never actually played a B&K game in my life. Just afraid of what the hardcore Banjo fans would say to that. lol
Trust me, they kinda get up in arms whenever I say that... lol
WHEN I WAS A BOY SHULK WAS A PHOTOSHOPPED LITTLE MAC!
AND WE LIKED IT!!
"Disablad" Still makes me laugh to this day.
Just the fact that someone went out of their way to Photoshop a legitimate leak to make it appear fake, is pure genius

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Been thinking, maybe the ESRB leak during smash 4 was a blessing in disguise (or -puts on a tinfoil hat- a deliberate leak). Think about it if it didn't happen all the fake leaks were getting now wouldnt happen. And nothing could be better for Sakurai cuz if a real leak WOULD come out it would be in a sea of thousands of fake ones that nobody would be able to tell the difference. It also helps that alot of it is in text form just to make it all sound like bad intel.

I said it before and ill say it again. Sun Tzu says "All warfare is based on Deception"

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The problem with 3D World isn't that it's a a badd game it's that it is LITERALLY the Galaxy 2 to 3D Land. A 3DS game. It was basically just a sequel. No matter how good it was it had that to contend with. The creativity of that game was limited because of the formula it decided follow. For the first 3D Maroo Platformer in HD that is INCREDIBLY disappointing. And like I said before, a lot of 3D World felt incredibly samey because they just had 3D Land. Their creativity was obviously still there but the game wasn't "fresh" at all.

Odyssey on the other hand took everything they learned from 3D World and melded it with everything they learned from 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games and Breath of the Wild and took the formula to a new place without ditching what worked. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like I was playing 3D World when I entered into some of Odyssey's linear pieces. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like I was playing Sunshine when I was running around the Sand or Seaside Kingdoms jumping off rooftops and speedboating my way across water. Except that's not a bad thing because Odyssey still felt like it's own game because of the Capture Mechanic alone. Without even taking the rest of the game into account.

3D World's creativity was limited because of its choice to follow the set formula of the previous game while Odyssey's was left wide open because it embraced ALL the formula across generations. Odyssey is EASILY a more creative game. Easily. A better game is subjective but I will easily say I enjoyed Odyssey far more than I enjoyed 3D World.

It also scratched my Banjo-Kazooie Collectathon itch better than Yooka-Laylee ever did so that's a BIG plus.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Disablad" Still makes me laugh to this day.
Just the fact that someone went out of their way to Photoshop a legitimate leak to make it appear fake is pure genius
That's just it
It's the best way to leak something cause everyone is so damn anal about every picture that they would pass off legitimate leaks as fake over simple things.

If I got my hands on info you can bet your ass I'd take a blurry angled picture and crop it and smooth a shadow or two.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey there kiddos! We got ourselves another timed leak! http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/434867625
If the Square Enix character is geno this ones fine by me

"Tomorrow's blog update"

Instant fake, Fridays don't get blog updates.
You already made a mistake they do updates on fridays

Mimikyu was shown on a Friday

Even if greninja is shown there’s less characters in there to chose from so it’s easier to guess the character of the day

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Well, no one is saying they're real. Besides, real leaks only happen once in a blue moon when it comes to Smash.

Or when vergeben gets new info, which is usually every few months.
I don't remember Smash 4 having anywhere near this much leak saturation. It's practically meme because I don't comprehend why people still do it.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It's not really that big of a deal. People get heated, say some mean(ish) things, and some get a little too intense. It'll pass, just like it does every other time.

If you want to stop talking about it and keep the discussion on Smash, just do it. If all of us just keep talking about how we're not talking about Smash, then what do you think the topic is going to be? lol.

So let's SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

Favorite newcomer?? Mine is K Rool, by far!!
:ultisabelle: obviously, fitting for my love for cutesy stuff.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Nothing's wrong with it. I actually quite enjoy it.

My problem lies in the THIS IS THE BEST MARIO EVER OMG hoopla surrounding it. I feel like it's... okay? Like it relies entirely on its quirkiness and its charm to bypass the fact that it's way too easy of a game. I feel like the open world aspect applied WAY better to Zelda than it did to Mario's star moon collecting. And I really don't feel like playing through Odyssey again after my first playthrough because, once the wonder's gone of that initial quirkiness, it's just an average platformer. Albeit, charming as hell.

I think the structured challenge of individual stages works much better for a Mario game than the open world concept, and I think that SM3DW (and more specifically, SM3DL, one of my favorites ever) are better games to go back to as a result. I just like them better. And while Odyssey is a fun and well-made game, I couldn't hop on board with the "GREATEST EVER" bandwagon when I liked its immediate predecessor better.
I suppose that's fair, but I really really like it. It's definitely my favorite Mario game of all time.
I personally don't think it's over-hyped, I think the hype is warranted. But again, that's just me.
I'll leave your bunker, for now...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You already made a mistake they do updates on fridays

Mimikyu was shown on a Friday

Even if greninja is shown there’s less characters in there to chose from so it’s easier to guess the character of the day
Yeah, but it depends on timezone.

We get updates 5 days a week, today is day 5. But yeah, you're right, these guesses are getting easier and easier.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm not leaving this bunker until I get some answers!
What's wrong with the best Mario game in years Mario Odyssey?
*peaks out of my bunker*

For me, I was really looking forward to Mario Odyssey despite the trailers not really hooking me in. Playing it, it was an exercise in utter boredom. It was an open world, with very linear story mode, the required moons were way too simple and easy, and in terms of moon collecting, the game preferred quantity to quality. I'm in a new world... guess I should buy a moon, I guess. There's only so many times I can do the exact same thing in each world without it becoming boring and repetitive. It really went against Mario's usual "easy to pick up, hard to master" approach to game design. It was just... either easy or incredibly tedious/obnoxious. In Mario 64, you only needed to get 7 stars in each world... but each one meant something, and most required a bunch of crazy platforming tricks to achieve, and the only repeat star was getting 100 coins.

My main problem is with the gimmick. Mario's all about power ups, but cappy abilities are more like power downs. In the old games, it was Mario + something. Whereas in Odyssey, it was something - Mario. There were way too many times, after capturing an enemy, where I just wish I could use Mario's jump, and the actual abilities you get with the capture abilities are singular and not really all that interesting. Ohhh, as a worm I can... stretch. And to be honest... Banjo & Kazooie did it better. Transforming into a new creature allowed you do a singular purpose--eliminating B&K's abilities is one of the more frustrating aspects. But at least Banjo & Kazooie had a unique sense of humor with it, particularly in Tooie turning into a washing machine. The transformations... I mean capture abilities in Odyssey, were very dry in comparison.

It tried to have it both ways with the worlds--keeping the desert, water, snow themes, but with an inconsequential twist to make them seem different than before. The only novel levels were incredibly short (the dragon one), or the final Bowser's Kingdom level with the traditional Japanese aesthetics. I was spoiled about the Mushroom Kingdom level, so I won't count my underwhelming feelings towards it against the game. I heard the post game was better--except all it was was a tedious boss rush mode, and a more infuriating than fun final level, which was completely linear, but was still better than the rest of the game had to offer. After beating it, I had no reason to play any more of it.

In fact, oddly enough, I had more fun with Luigi's Balloon World than anything else in the game.

*crawls back into my bunker*

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
The Greninja leak is bogus cause XY released October 12, which is five years ago tomorrow. Greninja is a pretty obvious choice for tomorrow's post.

Noipoi

Howdy!
*peaks out of my bunker*

For me, I was really looking forward to Mario Odyssey despite the trailers not really hooking me in. Playing it, it was an exercise in utter boredom. It was an open world, with very linear story mode, the required moons were way too simple and easy, and in terms of moon collecting, the game preferred quantity to quality. I'm in a new world... guess I should buy a moon, I guess. There's only so many times I can do the exact same thing in each world without it becoming boring and repetitive. It really went against Mario's usual "easy to pick up, hard to master" approach to game design. It was just... either easy or incredibly tedious/obnoxious. In Mario 64, you only needed to get 7 stars in each world... but each one meant something, and most required a bunch of crazy platforming tricks to achieve, and the only repeat star was getting 100 coins.

My main problem is with the gimmick. Mario's all about power ups, but cappy abilities are more like power downs. In the old games, it was Mario + something. Whereas in Odyssey, it was something - Mario. There were way too many times, after capturing an enemy, where I just wish I could use Mario's jump, and the actual abilities you get with the capture abilities are singular and not really all that interesting. Ohhh, as a worm I can... stretch. And to be honest... Banjo & Kazooie did it better. Transforming into a new creature allowed you do a singular purpose--eliminating B&K's abilities is one of the more frustrating aspects. But at least Banjo & Kazooie had a unique sense of humor with it, particularly in Tooie turning into a washing machine. The transformations... I mean capture abilities in Odyssey, were very dry in comparison.

It tried to have it both ways with the worlds--keeping the desert, water, snow themes, but with an inconsequential twist to make them seem different than before. The only novel levels were incredibly short (the dragon one), or the final Bowser's Kingdom level with the traditional Japanese aesthetics. I was spoiled about the Mushroom Kingdom level, so I won't count my underwhelming feelings towards it against the game. I heard the post game was better--except all it was was a tedious boss rush mode, and a more infuriating than fun final level, which was completely linear, but was still better than the rest of the game had to offer. After beating it, I had no reason to play any more of it.

In fact, oddly enough, I had more fun with Luigi's Balloon World than anything else in the game.

*crawls back into my bunker*
Wow! That's the most wrong opinion i've ever heard! :4pacman:.

Seriously though, I don't agree with anything you said at all. But I suppose that's the wonder of individuality. Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wow! That's the most wrong opinion i've ever heard!

Seriously though, I don't agree with anything you said at all. But I suppose that's the wonder of individuality. Let's just agree to disagree.
Someone became sassy on their birthday.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Wow! That's the most wrong opinion i've ever heard!

I'm perfectly fine to agree to disagree. :) I usually wouldn't **** over something someone else loves... but... you asked... so... :upsidedown:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Yo, am I too late to post my "never ever happening" list?

Literally just these two. Both are up there in terms of favorite characters of all time, and I would love to even just have their respective series' represented in Smash.

I know my sig says 2B but that's just because it's most likely her or nothing. A2 is without a doubt my favorite character in all of NieR.

I would also put Protoman and Akuma, but those two actually have a shot, however small it may be.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I suppose that's fair, but I really really like it. It's definitely my favorite Mario game of all time.
I personally don't think it's over-hyped, I think the hype is warranted. But again, that's just me.
I'll leave your bunker, for now...
Since the earlier discussion has me itching for more Resident Evil talk.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The Greninja leak is bogus cause XY released October 12, which is five years ago tomorrow. Greninja is a pretty obvious choice for tomorrow's post.
Thank you you just confirmed this guy made the same mistake as the wii fit trainer of the day logical

For this case the day X and Y released

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
>robin
>marrying lucina
>not marrying tharja
>mfw
>greentexting on smashboards

On an unrelated note, 3D World had pretty much two things over Odyssey imho and that's bout it: playable female character (Peach, later Rosalina), and I like this track. seriously, click that link and tell me that ain't one funky af bass.

There are people who to this day still think Shulk is just a photoshopped Little Mac. We call those people "MatPat from Game Theory."

Wheps. Sorry, I missed that part.
On another note, Who are you guy's manning? Obviously this question has been asked, lot's. But I'd like to have a more in depth discussion.
For example: I will be playing a good amount of charecters. Firstly, I'll be playing a whole lot a peach, partially because of an inside joke, mainly because I got used to SSF2, where she is my favorite charecter by far. Pick a charecter with good throw combos, probably sonic, because I played him in 4, and enjoy his games. Inkling, splatoon is an interesting series, and the high damage low K.O is appealing. Bayonetta. I'm the only person on the planet who likes ladder combos, but they might be gone, but the dual aggressive/campy-ness seems great, because I like playing both, just not in between. Megaman, megaman is the projectile charecter, which is my favorite. Wii Fit. Seems fun, and has the added bonus of pissing my friend who is attracted who her in a creepy way.
:ultcloud:,:ultcorrin:,:ultganondorf:,:ultike:,:ultinkling:,:ultisabelle:,:ultjigglypuff:,:ultkirby:,:ultlink:,:ultmarth:,:ultlucario:,:ultlucina:,:ultmetaknight:,:ultmewtwo:,:ultmiifighters:,:ultpalutena:,:ultpeach:,:ultdaisy:,:ultpikachu:,:ultpiranha:,:ultpit:,:ultdarkpit:,:ultrobin:,:ultroy:,:ultsamus:,:ultshulk:,:ultsnake:,:ultsonic:,:ulttoonlink:,:ultvillager:,:ultwiifittrainer:,:ultyounglink:,:ultzelda:,:ultzss:

^ All of these are characters I hope are fun to play and thus worth pocketing. ^

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't think Mario Odyssey is a perfect game, but I've gotten more joy per dollar out of it than any other Mario game.

It's been the only Mario game to get me emotional (when I first heard Steam Garden's theme), it's very open to movement experimentation, and Luigi's Balloon World is still fun to play.

So I hope it gets ALL the music and trophies in Ultimate.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987

Literally just these two. Both are up there in terms of favorite characters of all time, and I would love to even just have their respective series' represented in Smash.

I would also put Protoman and Akuma, but those two actually have a shot, however small it may be.
>sees Commander Shepard

give me my boi Legion while we’re at it

NineS

Smash Lord

I know my sig says 2B but that's just because it's most likely her or nothing. A2 is without a doubt my favorite character in all of NieR.

Are you summoning me?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

A FELLOW A2 FAN!

I always post 2B because people recognize the blindfold. But A2 was always my favorite.

Also, love me some Mass Effect. I just often look back on the game and realize that the companions are more why I loved it than Shepard herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom