• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Some DLC Kingdoms for Odyssey would be amazing. I really want a reason to replay it because I can’t bring myself to do it otherwise.

Or let me play as Luigi

Noipoi

Howdy!
>robin
>marrying lucina
>not marrying tharja
>mfw
>greentexting on smashboards
Robin and Tharja is the canon route. No one can convince me otherwise.

I don't think Mario Odyssey is a perfect game, but I've gotten more joy per dollar out of it than any other Mario game.

It's been the only Mario game to get me emotional (when I first heard Steam Garden's theme), it's very open to movement experimentation, and Luigi's Balloon World is still fun to play.

So I hope it gets ALL the music and trophies in Ultimate.
If the T-Rex isn't an assist trophy or a boss or something i'll be so mad.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The "that's the most wrong opinion i've ever heard" bit was a joke.
I figured. Is that supposed to make it less sassy? :laugh:

Yo, am I too late to post my "never ever happening" list?

Literally just these two. Both are up there in terms of favorite characters of all time, and I would love to even just have their respective series' represented in Smash.

I know my sig says 2B but that's just because it's most likely her or nothing. A2 is without a doubt my favorite character in all of NieR.

I would also put Protoman and Akuma, but those two actually have a shot, however small it may be.
woah suddenly i wanna play nier

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm not leaving this bunker until I get some answers!
What's wrong with the best Mario game in years Mario Odyssey?
*sigh* Where do I begin....

1. Moons aren't fun to collect. There are WAYY too many of them and they don't feel rewarding in the slightest to collect. Ground pounding on a glowing light on the ground or doing an easy challenge doesn't feel rewarding in the slightest. Compared to games like Sunshine, 64, and Galaxy where the structure of obtaining a power star felt rewarding. You actually had to do a decent sized semi-challenging mission to complete them. Not just run over to the waterfall and you got a moon or climb a tree and you got a moon. The moons in Odyssey feel less like "big rewards" and more like the blue coins in Sunshine to me just WAYYY less cryptic and that's NOT a good thing.

2. The soundtrack and while this is obviously personal preference, doesn't even hold a candle to Galaxy, Galaxy 2's, or 3D World's IMO. Hell I'd even say Sunshine's soundtrack is better. The only memorable songs from Odyssey are Jump Up, Super Star, Steam Gardens, and Bowser's Castle 2. Nothing else jumped out at me.

3. The worlds feel lifeless and empty and they aren't that fun to goof off in IMO. I get bored very quickly in these kingdoms. Which is a shame because if their is one thing I think Odyssey does better than any other Mario game to date is how Mario controls.

4. The Bowser battles in this game are some of the WORST 3D Bowser battles yet (only one worse is Sunshine's final battle). While Mario has never had FANTASTIC battles. These battles are some of the dullest and easiest battles I've ever played in a Mario game. Not to mention usually final boss battles in platformers are suppose to put your skills/abilities to the test and use everything you learned up until that point to overcome you're obstacle. The Bowser fight doesn't do that you don't use any of the capture abilities you've used/learned up to that point or any type of platforming skills which leads me to my 5th point...

5. There is barely ANY platforming in this game. Most of the platforming stages don't even open up until after you complete the "main game" and break those moon shards. While those platforming sections are really fun at that point I was already ho-hum about the experience I just wanted it to end. They really should've been more of those from the start. Yeah you could say "But it's more about the exploration than the platforming!" But I felt the first half of the game was too MUCH exploration. 64 and Sunshine I felt balanced platforming and exploration REALLY well but here it felt like 75% exploration, 25% platforming. When I play a Mario game I play to platform.

6. Buying moons and constantly grinding for coins is annoying and not fun.

^ Those are my main gripes about the game. Like I said I don't dislike it I like how Mario controls, I like that Koizumi tried to add more humor, personality, and story to the game, I like that their are more Mario side-characters integrated into the game (Pauline, Luigi, Captain Toad, arcade DK, etc.) and I think the game is merely fine if you play it until you collect 500 moons and beat "Darker side of the moon" but after that the game becomes very lifeless, grindy, and boring for my taste. Odyssey was the only 3D Mario I couldn't 100% due to sheer boredom (Yes I even went after all the blue coins in Sunshine and all the paddy Green Stars in Galaxy 2). I think the game is merely "okay" and I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Wheps. Sorry, I missed that part.
On another note, Who are you guy's manning? Obviously this question has been asked, lot's. But I'd like to have a more in depth discussion.
For example: I will be playing a good amount of charecters. Firstly, I'll be playing a whole lot a peach, partially because of an inside joke, mainly because I got used to SSF2, where she is my favorite charecter by far. Pick a charecter with good throw combos, probably sonic, because I played him in 4, and enjoy his games. Inkling, splatoon is an interesting series, and the high damage low K.O is appealing. Bayonetta. I'm the only person on the planet who likes ladder combos, but they might be gone, but the dual aggressive/campy-ness seems great, because I like playing both, just not in between. Megaman, megaman is the projectile charecter, which is my favorite. Wii Fit. Seems fun, and has the added bonus of pissing my friend who is attracted who her in a creepy way.
:ultvillager:Picked him up in Smash 4 a little while ago, almost instantly became a new main of mine.
:ultgnw:My first ever main! Of course I'm gonna main him in Ultimate!
:ultpacman:Despite Mr. Game & Watch being my first real main, Pac-Man was the first one I actually used a lot. But I wasn't playing the game properly back then.
:ultduckhunt:I want to play these guys more.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Best thing about her is I *see her* and I'm all like "yessss" then I notice the lines where it's clear she's a robot and then I'm like "noooo" then I look at her again and it starts all over again.

This is the worst timeline.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
On an unrelated note, 3D World had two things over Odyssey imho: playable female character (Peach, later Rosalina), and I like this track. seriously, click that link and tell me that ain't one funky af bass.
It just feels wrong to listen to it without the "DING DING DING".

Best track in the game by far, though.

NineS

Smash Lord
Robin and Tharja is the canon route. No one can convince me otherwise.
Robin doesn't really get a choice on that one. If you get Robin and Tharja's support conversations, the one where Robin is 'sick' anyway, Tharja seems to be hinted to have a little too much fun with Robin while he sleeps.

play nier automata
play it
i'm going to do whatever i can to convince you to do it.
don't play it on PC unless you have a really strong computer, and a remote controller
and don't get it confused for NieR, it's prequel. both equally amazing games in different ways, but one has a not-so-happy ending.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if another Fire Emblem character at some chance gets in who do you think it'd likely be?

I'd say it comes down to Black Knight, Celica or a TH FE character (DLC).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Robin doesn't really get a choice on that one. If you get Robin and Tharja's support conversations, the one where Robin is 'sick' anyway, Tharja seems to be hinted to have a little too much fun with Robin while he sleeps.

play nier automata
play it
i'm going to do whatever i can to convince you to do it.
don't play it on PC unless you have a really strong computer, and a remote controller
and don't get it confused for NieR, it's prequel. both equally amazing games in different ways, but one has a not-so-happy ending.
Not related to what you just said but I've been playing a lot of DQ and I'd love an AT that spawns a Slime that's mostly useless but sometimes it's a metal slime that gives you 3 points for killing it instead of 1
EDIT: Just realized I didn't mention that it was your sig that made me think of that.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Black Knight won't work as an Ike echo if Isabelle can't be a Villager echo.

It's Celica or bust for FE until Three Houses and DLC.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So if another Fire Emblem character at some chance gets in who do you think it'd likely be?

Black Knight. He got a Mii Costume so he clearly did decent enough in the ballots.

Other than that, Edelgard for DLC, just for promotion.

Because of backlash from Corrin I don’t think Sakurai will add anyone besides these two (and obviously Chrom, but he was a rare exception because of the salt from the Lucina/Robin vid)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Depends on if we're talking echoes or not, but I'd say Celica is the absolute most likely candidate (For a non-echo). Three Houses I can only see happening late into Ultimate's possible DLC lifespan.

If not Celica, I'd begrudgingly say another Fates unit would probably be next in line.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the T-Rex isn't an assist trophy or a boss or something i'll be so mad.
I'll personally be surprised if the T-Rex isn't an assist. It definitely fits as one.

Cue another assist that I want along with Cooking Mama, Ecco the Dolphin, Eggplant Wizard, King Hippo, Lana, Professor E. Gadd and Rambi.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I got a topic for ya'll.

Who are your pipedream characters? Meaning characters who are next to impossible.
Mine are Fossil Fighter, Master Chief, Badge Bunny, and Vaati.
I've got quite a lot (in no particular order):
:ultlink: Ghirahim, Wolf Link, Linkle, Lana
:ultshulk: The Zekenator, Melia, Fiora, Morag
:ultmarth: Micaiah, Owain, Fjorm, Brave/Great Lord Lucina
:ultpikachu:Gallade, Blaziken, Zeraora
:ultpit: Decloned :ultdarkpit: with heavy use of claw weapons
:ultcloud:Zidane
Other: Zael, Leon, Travis, Geralt from the Witcher video game series (I say as I kick the books away)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I thought everybody's beef with Other M was mainly story
The biggest problem is definitely the story, but that's only because the story is so so so so bad, the gameplay is definitely below average aswell.

First things first, the controller is a serious issue. Holding the Wiimote sideways was never very comfortable, even NES controllers feel better than that, but having to control a character in a 3D space with a D-Pad is just a design sin. Of course they chose that control option so you could seamlessly switch between the 3rd and 1st person perspectives, but the 1st person perspective is never used in an interesting enough way to make up for the faults that the controller choice brought with it. In general it just comes off as confused and lacking of any real identity in that regard, sometimes it's 3rd person from a bird's eye perspective, other times it's 3rd person over the shoulder, then it's suddenly a 2D sidescroller, and then you have to go to 1st person perspective, none of them are properly fleshed out or feel good at all, it tries to do everything at once and then ends up doing none of them well.

Speaking of the 1st person perspective, you have these moments throughout the game where you can't move and have to point your crosshair at a point of interest, and by god they're awful. You're stuck there until you figure out what the **** you're supposed to point at, which is often very hard to see as the targets are sometimes really small and the Wii was still stuck in the past generation in terms of resolution, so you basically end up just flinging your cursor around just hoping to get lucky. They're probably the worst sequences in any big budget Nintendo game ever, I have no idea who thought that Find Waldo had any place in a Metroid game, or any ambitious game at all for that matter.

The combat itself is also incredibly shallow, once you get down how you dodge you're basically invincible. For the most part the gameplay just goes charge shot -> dodge -> charge shot -> dodge, etc. There are also these cinematic sequences, and although they can be cool to trigger they're basically just cutscenes you mash through, they just don't feel interactive at all, they could have taken a leaf out of Resident Evil's book in this regard.

The game is also absurdly linear, and upgrades are extremely weak in this game aswell, so it just feels like any exploration is being discouraged, and any upgrades beyond Energy and Missile Tanks are locked behind story progress iirc, so no sequence breaking either. I know it was trying to do something different, but come on, you don't do that stuff to a Metroid game, might aswell make it a new IP at that point.

There are also a bunch of other minor gripes I have with it (stop forcing me to walk slowly through corridors ffs), but overall the gameplay still isn't worst game of all time level, it's more that for a AAA Nintendo game it's incredibly disappointing, and when you then combine that with the awful awful awful awful story you ultimately get a truly miserable experience. I might be off on one or two details here as I last played it 8 years ago, but you get the gist of my complaints.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Celica would be my go too pick for any other FE characters. But even then, I find her chances to be a bit shaky.

Three Houses I can definitely see getting some sort of representation through DLC.

Untouch

Smash Master

If they're going for fanservice, likely Hector.
If they're going for "smash is the billboard for FE" then a TH lord.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Three Houses rep, likely Edelgard if internet popularity is all we have to go on.

I think SoV doesn't have enough pull for a character, and I don't think pre-3DS FE games have a large enough fanbase to force a character in in the same way that Ridley and K. Rool had. Chrom got in because he had Smash 4/Awakening support and worked as an easy echo. Unless we're getting Black Knight as an Ike echo (forced, but doable) or Celica as a Robin semi-clone, I don't think FE is getting another rep at all except in a similar situation to Corrin. Promotional DLC.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So does Tecmo Koei strike anyone as the odd man out when it comes to third party companies? They've been making games since the NES.

The Zelda cast of characters has no hyrule warriors rep yet... Impa? Linkle?

I feel like Ryu Hayabusa needs to happen.
Oh yes. The only thing that's killing people's confidence right now is that Ryu's series is dormant and he's moonlighting for DOA nowadays. Apart from him, there's always Sanada. Or Cao Cao. Or Orochi. Or Zeus. Or somebody from Atelier. Or Opoona, but that sure as hell won't happen.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Majora's Mask DLC:

New Fighters: Skull Kid, Happy Mask Salesman, and Tingle

MM alt. for Young Link + new Mask moveset option for him

[insert more here]

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
If NieR somehow does get any representation at all, I'll happily settle for either of these three:
Granted, I know that if I get any of these, which is unlikely, it would probably be 2B, the other two only possibly getting in as echos or alts which is nearly impossible seeing the odds.

In terms of fever dream reps, I'd be happy to see other characters like Kaine who is not going to be in at all because of her design, Nier himself, or Emil, and possibly even Zero. I know zero to none of these characters probably will happen, minus 2B if I'm lucky, but a guy can dream.

Also, I've brainwashed myself into believing 2B has a fairer chance than she probably does.
Biggest thing I've got going for them is NieR's massive boost in popularity, the fact Sakurai said he enjoyed the game, and he's following the game's creator on twitter.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Black Knight won't work as an Ike echo if Isabelle can't be a Villager echo.

It's Celica or bust for FE until Three Houses and DLC.
If we were getting Celica wouldn't we be getting both by extension? ;)

Edit: Opps got my Waifu's mixed up was thinking of Camilla my bad...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom