• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of bias, we know Sakurai was accused of Kirby & Star Fox bias in Brawl, and then understandably accused of Kid Icarus & Fire Emblem bias in 4.

Which will be his next accusation of series bias for Ulitmate? I'm personally betting on Metroid and Animal Crossing this time:
More Kid Icarus bias

Chrono.

Speaking of bias, we know Sakurai was accused of Kirby & Star Fox bias in Brawl, and then understandably accused of Kid Icarus & Fire Emblem bias in 4.

Which will be his next accusation of series bias for Ulitmate? I'm personally betting on Metroid and Animal Crossing this time:
Pokemon bias.

Call it a hunch.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
True, but it's so weird thinking that Conker of all characters was in the same game as Diddy Kong. I mean, I don't know how many people here would say his game was good either.
Conker's Bad Fur Day? It's a great game, mate. One of Rare's best.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a game:

You Are Sakurai Bias!

Pick 1 Smash Franchise (hell, it can be one that isn't in SSB yet if you want) and say how you would shamelessly cater to your own bias in Smash with content

My bias? Pokemon:

I would include three more Pokemon for Ultimate, a 3rd Gen, 5th Gen, and 7th Gen, and reveal them all in the same trailer
Pikachu's/Pichu's Side Special is now Volt Tackle (its much faster than Charizard's Flare Blitz, but does less damage and no recoil to itself)
Pikachu's/Pichu's Final Smash will be its Z-Move instead
Mewtwo's Shadow Ball damages as it charges
All of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon will gain a 4th special; Pokemon Changing is now down by pressing A+B together
Even more stages including: Poke Floats, Tower of Mastery, Pokemon Battle Royal Ring, Battle Frontier Emerald, and Poketopia
Greninja in Ultimate is Smash 4 out-of-the-gate, pre-patched level (before the 20 nerfs and patches)

EDIT
Mewtwo is now a floaty, heavy character, at least as heavy as Samus.
Each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon also have their own Final Smash, instead of just doing one Triple Finish, giving players options before letting loose their FS.
Lucario has less startup and cooldown frames on its attacks as its Aura level increases.
Donkey Kong

I would add Dixie, Cranky and Funky (Echo) for Ultimate.
Lanky, Tiny and Chunky would be DLC.
Donkey Kong's forward tilt is now the Coconut Gun.
Rambi, Squitter and Ellie would be added as ATs.
Gangplank Galleon, Flying Kroc, Bramble Scramble and Stronghold Showdown added as stages.

On that note, I'm still low-key hoping for the entire of Smash 64 to be playable as a bonus.
I'd be all for that.

Yo dawg, we heard you like Smash Bros, so we put a Smash Bros. in your Smash Bros. so that you can Smash Bros. while you Smash Bros!

Conker's Bad Fur Day? It's a great game, mate. One of Rare's best.
I think they're referring to Pocket Tales. Game's decent, if forgettable to the point that it doesn't even have a final boss fight.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong

Gangplank Galleon, Flying Kroc, Bramble Scramble and Stronghold Showdown added as stages.

I'd be all for that.

Yo dawg, we heard you like Smash Bros, so we put a Smash Bros. in your Smash Bros. so that you can Smash Bros. while you Smash Bros!

I think they're referring to Pocket Tales. Game's decent, if forgettable to the point that it doesn't even have a final boss fight.
Honestly, Rambi really ought to be an assist trophy. it'd be different.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I would absolutely love that, and if Microsoft's working with B&K in Smash... it's potentially possible with all of the original characters. However,
if that Star Fox Racing game is true and its inspiration really is Diddy Kong Racing, I don't think a true sequel will come in the near future.

Diddy Kong Racing perhaps has the best framework for a great racing game. A variety of ways to race, the hub world was so much fun to play around in and find secrets. And I played the game, thinking I had almost completed it, only hearing years later there was *another* portion of the game after Wizpig's first race. My child self's mind was blown. Seeing something like that in modern graphics and gameplay--awesome.
I'd take Star Fox Racing if it were similar to Diddy Kong Racing, honestly. The Diddy Kong Racing cast - minus Banjo, Diddy, and Conker, wasn't stellar. I just loved the style/gameplay, and would love to see a return to form of some kind.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I can't believe Sakurai really just showed off the Fox blog update right after I drew Foxette earlier this morning.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong

I'd be all for that.

I actually was referring to Bad Fur Day though. I am aware of Packet Tales to an extent, but I was looking more at the most well-known one.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So how will you guys feel if next week the reveal is a duo one of Isaac and Felix as his echo?

I for one would welcome Isaac in open arms not to mention the addition of Felix which would be interesting. I'd also be happy for his fans since he was long overdue for them and they finally got what they wanted and deserved.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So we got a memory translated in english finally, and they are calling it a "flashback". I wonder if this had anything to do with the youtube video page update a few days ago? probably not cause that was the fighter videos and it was the japanese youtube page and stuff, still thinking some smash news in the next week or so is likely what thats pointing towards.

Theory time, I think the Memories are a collectable and the translation team in English has only just decided what they'll be called in game. Flashbacks.
I like this idea^ makes sense.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's less Pokemon bias and more Pokemon obligation.

Just how I like it!
Pokemon is a goldmine for strong and iconic character designs. You'd have to be biased to not take advantage of that.

Heck, there's enough of them that they've justified their own fighting game.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
No lie, I think Yoshi gets the least amount of love when it comes to first party series, considering it doesn't even have an AT yet.

Yeah, But it's definitely gonna be worse, Especially if Incineroar gets in (Sakurai really likes cats)
...Then why hasn't there been a playable cat character yet?

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I'll rather have obscure video game bias from Sakurai other than other known video game

Like, NES golfer as new fighter for the smash, ya know?

D

Deleted member

Here's a game:

You Are Sakurai Bias!

Pick 1 Smash Franchise (hell, it can be one that isn't in SSB yet if you want) and say how you would shamelessly cater to your own bias in Smash with content

My bias? Pokemon:

I would include three more Pokemon for Ultimate, a 3rd Gen, 5th Gen, and 7th Gen, and reveal them all in the same trailer
Pikachu's/Pichu's Side Special is now Volt Tackle (its much faster than Charizard's Flare Blitz, but does less damage and no recoil to itself)
All of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon will gain a 4th special; Pokemon Changing is now down by pressing A+B together
Even more stages including: Poke Floats, Tower of Mastery, Pokemon Battle Royal Ring, Battle Frontier Emerald, and Poketopia
Greninja in Ultimate is Smash 4 out-of-the-gate, pre-patched level (before the 20 nerfs and patches)

EDIT
Each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon also have their own Final Smash, instead of just doing one Triple Finish, giving players options before letting loose their FS.
Lucario has less startup and cooldown frames on its attacks as its Aura level increases.
Fire Emblem.

Current fighters are mostly unchanged.

New Characters
Hector: the first axe wielder in Smash and most popular character not represented in some way in Smash. He would be the slowest of all FE characters and one of the slowest in the entire roster, imagine Ganondorf but with an axe. However, to make up for that, his attacks hit REALLY hard and while not as far-reaching as swords, cover his hurtboxes to the point it's almost impossible to challenge one of his moves. Additionally, some of his moves produce lightbing hitboxes like Robin's DSmash, allowing him to reach further with those. His Down Special is Distant Counter: when countering, Hector will release a shockwave forward, allowing him to counter distant moves and projectiles. His Final Smash would be Thunder of Ostia, a powerful axe strike that summons a bolt of lightning on the opponent.
Ephraim: Another very popular character, Ephraim would be the first spear wielder in Smash. With balanced stats, he really shines in his disjoints. While not as big as the Belmonts', Ephraim spear attacks have more speed to them and are quite dangerous at the tip, his Forward Smash is comparable to Corrin's. His Final Smash is the Sacred Stone, where he seals his opponent inside the stone, KOing them instantly if above 100%.
Lyn: The most popular character not yet playable in Smash, she would be the fastest of all FE characters, though her overall damage potential is low and she would be incredibly easy to KO compared to the others... If you can even hit her, that is. Her Side Special, Quick Step, allows her to dash forward really fast or fake out the opponent and retreat back to safety. Her Final Smash is Winds of Sacae, where she cuts her opponent so quickly that it appears as if there were 5 of her attacking.
Veronica: FEH is a big success, that's no mistery to anyone, and Veronica is the closest it has to a mascot or face. Sure you have Alfonse and Sharena... but who really cares about them? Veronica would be a combination of a Dark Mage eith a Staff Wielder. Her normals would all focus on different spells and her Smash attacks would have her summon Chibi-Heroes to attack ala Pac-Man's Smash Attacks. Her specials would all use different status staves from the series, such as being able to disable an opponent's specials, freeze them in place or warp them right next to her. Her Final Smash is Tempest Trial, where she summons a tempest vortex in the stage to damage all opponents.

Echo Fighters:
Eliwood(Ike): Wielding the Blazing Blade, Durandal, Eliwood is the Lord that better fits Ike's moveset. His Up Special, however, is replaced with Roy's Up Special and all of his flame effects are red instead of blue. His Final Smash is Fire of Pherae, where he unleashes a series of fiery sword slashes on the opponent.
Anna(Hector): Based on her Heroes desigb, Anna would finally be included as Hector's Echo. Instead of Distant Counter, however, Anna gets a teleport move like Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape, thanks to her legendary weapon, Noatun. Her Final Smash is Open For Business! where she summons an army of Annas from the other games to unleash a final attack, family style.
Nephenee(Ephraim): There aren't many non-armored lance users on foot in FE, but out of all of them I like Nephenee the most. Her Final Smash is Wrathful Luna, where she unleashes a single fiery strike at her opponent as the moon shines above, killing them instantly.
Joshua(Lyn): Joshua is the best Myrmidon and best FE character, these are the facts. His moves would have Ice effects added to them to better fit his sword, Audhulma. His Final Smash is the same as Lyn's, but is renamed as Winds of Jehanna.

Assist Trophies:
Camus: Camus would ride on his horse around the stage, attacking opponents with Gradivus while running over them.
Caeda: Caeda would fly around on her pegasus, occasionally flying down to attack. Don't try to jump, that's where she'll hit you the hardest.
Ninian: When summoned, Ninian will dance to her summoner, causing a random effect, either raising a stat of theirs(attack, speed, defense) or turning them invincible for a few seconds.
Nino: Nino will use Gronnblade when summoned, pining down an opponent in place and following with many other blades. Taunting near her will boost her attacks' power!
Takumi: Takumi will fire off wind arrows across the stage, he'll stand in place most of the time but he can still dodge and shoot you back at point blank. He can even clone himself to double the work, curious...

Stages:
Dragon's Gate: The stage of the final battle in FE7, the battle would take place in the first area of the map, with the Gate itself visible in the background and two locked rooms to the left and right edges of the stage, whose roofs work as platforms. Occasionally, some of the bosses that appeared in the original map will appear and attack the players. Lloyd and Linus will appear out of each room and each will perform a quick slash from one room to the other, Ursula will appear in the middle of the stage and summon bolt strikes from above, and Nergal will appear near the gate and summon black holes on certain parts of the stage.

Bosses
Grima: fought on Grima's Back, its hitbox is the shadowy Robin the head will try to protect. Grima will attack with its foul breath and summon dark spikes, alongside being able to summon Risen to fight you off.
Fire Dragons: fought on the Dragon's Gate, the Fire Dragons will stay each on one side of the screen, only ever moving their heads, their only active hurtbox, while releasing fire breaths or claw attacks. Be careful though as they hit hard, very hard.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Who would be your Gen 3, 5 and 7 characters?
Incineroar, Zoroark, and Blaziken. I'd keep it simple.

I don't like Incineroar more than Decidueye. Honestly, I'm more Decidueye than Incineroar. But I'd only put Incineroar in because I would exaggerate the hell out of its gimmick. Decidueye, I'd keep grounded. Arrows, feather darts, wing attacks, talon slashes. But if I were to consider Incineroar, I could go ape-&^%# in a way I wouldn't with Decidueye. It'd smash with a folded chair, it'd have Zangief's Final Atomic Buster, it would act utterly ridiculous.

Zoroark is just because its the only B/W Pokemon I'd want to see translated as a fighter in SSB. Its faaaaaaar from a favorite of mine, but in my mind, it would be awesome seeing it in action in SSB.

Blaziken is pure, unapologetic bias. This one's for me. Semi-clone of Captain Falcon (NOT an Echo, so it won't get roster-placed by Captain Falcon). Its Side Special is Fire Punch, but propels Blaziken forward like Terry Bogard's Burn Knuckle, Up Special is Sky Uppercut which is a faster, higher version of Ganondorf's Dark Fist custom (https://www.ssbwiki.com/Dark_Dive#Customization), and Down Special is Blaze Kick. Neutral Special is Overheat; it's pretty much Ike's Eruption, but at full charge it spreads horizontal farther, vertically less.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So how will you guys feel if next week the reveal is a duo one of Isaac and Felix as his echo?

I for one would welcome Isaac in open arms not to mention the addition of Felix which would be interesting. I'd also be happy for his fans since he was long overdue for them and they finally got what they wanted and deserved.
Indifferent to them because I've never played Golden Sun. But happy that a character that wasn't in a Vergeben leak was revealed to add some spice to the last 2 months of speculation

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually was referring to Bad Fur Day though. I am aware of Packet Tales to an extent, but I was looking more at the most well-known one.
In that case, it's quite good, if more linear than most 3D Rare games.

Though the ending is unexpectedly soul-crushing.

Yeah, But it's definitely gonna be worse, Especially if Incineroar gets in (Sakurai really likes cats)
Well, that's one thing he has in common with Shirakura.

I'll rather have obscure video game bias from Sakurai other than other known video game

Like, NES golfer as new fighter for the smash, ya know?
As far as golfers go, I'd prefer Plum from Mario Golf 64.

Meanwhile, Bill Trinen is the only guy on the planet who likely wants the fat NES hockey player.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Indifferent to them because I've never played Golden Sun. But happy that a character that wasn't in a Vergeben leak was revealed to add some spice to the last 2 months of speculation
Such a reveal would also open a new can of worms disproving VergeBen once more.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
If Sakurai's gonna be biased, at least do some Mother biasing. We're never gonna get a new game, but it'd sure be fun to watch Flint get revealed and everybody wonders what the heck they just saw.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I'd think "I no longer have to see Michael post this exact same prediction over and over"

But also would be confused as to why tf Felix is the Echo and not you know his son.
I don't care for Isaac so I wouldn't be too hyped but I'd be glad the box theory was dead.

Such a reveal would also open a new can of worms disproving VergeBen once more.
What
Wouldn't disprove him at all

Last edited:

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Here's a game:

You Are Sakurai Bias!

My bias? Pokemon:

EDIT

I’ll bite...

Mario bias

Geno and Mallow are in.
Paper Mario is a semi-clone
Vivian is a playable character
Yellow and Blue Toad are a double character as Toads
King Boo is playable
Daisy would’ve been in Brawl
8bit Mario is a semi-clone using Mario’s original moves
Dixie Kong and Stanley the bug man are assist trophies in 4 and upgraded to playable in ultimate
Professor Egad is an echo of Luigi

Pauline is an assist trophy
Mini-Mario’s is an assist trophy
Cackletta is a boss and assist trophy
Fawful is a Boss and assist trophy
Kamek is a Boss and assist trophy
Bowyer is a boss and assist trophy
Valentina and Dodo are a boss fight
Toadette is an assist trophy
Wario has a Booster alternate
Peach has a shadow queen alternate
Luigi has a Mr. L alternate
Boshi is an alternate of Yoshi

Luigi has his vacuum as an attack instead of tornado.

Giant hopping boot thing is an item.
The new heart crown is an item that turns everyone into Peach (not like Bowsette, just become Peach until you fall off)

Every Mario game gets a dedicated stage.... every Mario game...

Oh and Waluigi is still an assist trophy

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I'd be upset that a dead franchise like Golden Sun had more priority than an ongoing one like Rhythm Heaven...
No lie, I think Yoshi gets the least amount of love when it comes to first party series, considering it doesn't even have an AT yet.

...Then why hasn't there been a playable cat character yet?
He was trying to keep that bias to himself..

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Metal Gear Bias!

Playable Characters-
31-Solid Snake
31e- Liquid Snake
69- Revolver Ocelot
70- Big Boss (Semiclone of Snake, has Fulton up B, cardboard tank, metal gear Zeke, combat knife, flashbang grenades that cause the dizzy effect, tranq pistol and other minor changes)
70e- Venom Snake (also has rocket punch)
71- Raiden

Assist Trophies
Gray Fox
Quiet
Pequod (Helicopter comes in and fires at opponents, may use air strike)
Huey (Does literally nothing and ******* about how he is innocent, whoever KOs him wins the match instantly)
Solidus Snake
Monsoon

Items
D Walker (Piloted by fighter)
Magazine (Book placed on the ground, entrances enemies and leaves them open for attack)

Bosses
Metal Gear Rex
Psycho Mantis (messes with hud, teleoprts around like Tabuu, must defeat him through some bizarre method)
Senator Armstrong
Metal Gear Ray
Vulcan Raven (2 phase fight, 1st in tank second with chaingun)
Colonel Volgin
Sahelanthropus
Huey (Does the same thing as his assist trophy. I don't like Huey).

Stages
Shadow Moses Island
Big Shell
The flower field you fight the Boss in
Mother Base
Northern Kabul, Afghanistan (Traveling stage)

Oh, and codecs are back.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I’ll bite...

Mario bias

Geno and Mallow are in.
Paper Mario is a semi-clone
Vivian is a playable character
Yellow and Blue Toad are a double character as Toads
King Boo is playable
Daisy would’ve been in Brawl
8bit Mario is a semi-clone using Mario’s original moves
Dixie Kong and Stanley the bug man are assist trophies in 4 and upgraded to playable in ultimate
Professor Egad is an echo of Luigi

Pauline is an assist trophy
Mini-Mario’s is an assist trophy
Cackletta is a boss and assist trophy
Fawful is a Boss and assist trophy
Kamek is a Boss and assist trophy
Bowyer is a boss and assist trophy
Valentina and Dodo are a boss fight
Toadette is an assist trophy
Wario has a Booster alternate
Peach has a shadow queen alternate
Luigi has a Mr. L alternate
Boshi is an alternate of Yoshi

Luigi has his vacuum as an attack instead of tornado.

Giant hopping boot thing is an item.
The new heart crown is an item that turns everyone into Peach (not like Bowsette, just become Peach until you fall off)

Every Mario game gets a dedicated stage.... every Mario game...

Oh and Waluigi is still an assist trophy
I'd honestly have the Mini-Mario's as playable. Adorable gimmicky fun character.

Metal Gear Bias!

Playable Characters-
31-Solid Snake
31e- Liquid Snake
69- Revolver Ocelot
70- Big Boss (Semiclone of Snake, has Fulton up B, cardboard tank, metal gear Zeke, combat knife, flashbang grenades that cause the dizzy effect, tranq pistol and other minor changes)
70e- Venom Snake (also has rocket punch)
71- Raiden

Assist Trophies
Gray Fox
Quiet
Pequod (Helicopter comes in and fires at opponents, may use air strike)
Huey (Does literally nothing and ******* about how he is innocent, whoever KOs him wins the match instantly)
Solidus Snake
Monsoon

Items
D Walker (Piloted by fighter)
Magazine (Book placed on the ground, entrances enemies and leaves them open for attack)

Bosses
Metal Gear Rex
Psycho Mantis (messes with hud, teleoprts around like Tabuu, must defeat him through some bizarre method)
Senator Armstrong
Metal Gear Ray
Vulcan Raven (2 phase fight, 1st in tank second with chaingun)
Colonel Volgin
Sahelanthropus
Huey (Does the same thing as his assist trophy. I don't like Huey).

Stages
Shadow Moses Island
Big Shell
The flower field you fight the Boss in
Mother Base
Northern Kabul, Afghanistan (Traveling stage)

Oh, and codecs are back.
Don't make me cry remembering Ocelot will never be in Smash

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

I'll be happy for his fans but won't care myself. Also I get that you're very passionate about your wanted characters and I respect that, but maybe pay attention to how many times you ask the same questions.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Please be Xenoblade Please be Xenoblade Please be Xenoblade Please be Xenoblade

Elma on the roster and Rex DLC is both possible and people would scream bias because he said he liked the games, and Sakurai can't like anything without it being Smash related :/

Potato_

Smash Lord
So we got a memory translated in english finally, and they are calling it a "flashback". I wonder if this had anything to do with the youtube video page update a few days ago? probably not cause that was the fighter videos and it was the japanese youtube page and stuff, still thinking some smash news in the next week or so is likely what thats pointing towards.
What's interesting is that in the text they refer to them as "flashbacks" but the tag still calls it a memory. Might just be due to directly translating it from the Japanese counterpart but I still wonder; why bother even changing the name at all?

It would definitely be a nice addition to the game as a replacement to the Chronicle however, if we don't get it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll be happy for his fans but won't care myself. Also I get that you're very passionate about your wanted characters and I respect, but maybe pay attention to how many times you ask the same questions.
I know I know its something I gotta work on. I have a habit of being repetitive again I guess I'm just bored and don't know what else to talk about...We're all human after all. No one is born perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom