• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so here's a little game for everyone. Let's assume one character from each of the following 12 pairs is getting cut in the next Smash. You decide who gets to stay.

:ulticeclimbers: or :ultgnw:
:ultdoc: or :ultyounglink:
:ultfalco: or :ultwolf:
:ultlucario: or :ultgreninja:
:ultlucina: or :ultchrom:
:ultrobin or :ultcorrin:
:ultrosalina: or :ultbowserjr:
:ultsnake: or :ultcloud:
:ultdaisy: or :ultrichter:
:ultlucas: or :ultisabelle:
:ultrob: or :ultwiifittrainer:
:ultridley: or :ultkrool:

Who would you save? You can base your decision on personal preference or likelihood. Doesn't matter what your reasoning is (although, feel free to explain your decisions if you want to).
Game and Watch stays. While the Ice Climbers have a very unique mechanic, they represent a one-off NES game while G&W represents an entire line of handheld LCD games.

This was a hard one, but Young Link stays. He has enough variation from regular Link, especially now that he's decked out in BOTW gear.

This one was INCREDIBLY tough. My heart wants to keep Falco but my mind says Wolf. And if it was just Wolf and Fox, things would feel a bit... empty. N/A for now.

Lucario stays. Bye, Greninja.

Chrom stays, as he's quite a unique mishmash of characters, unlike Lucina who's just Marth, more or less. (blah blah blah, i know how she doesn't have the tipper whatever)

This was hard, but I chose Robin in the end. I haven't had much time in playing Corrin. Sorry, Corrin.

Rosalina stays. I don't have anything against Junior, but I feel that the Luma mechanic is a lot more interesting than what the Clown Car offers.

Agggh. This one was SUPER tough, but I chose Snake in the end. He was the first third party to ever be revealed for Smash.

Daisy stays. While I like Richter, she's just a lot more recognizable.

The mascot for a big Nintendo series vs. the main character from the a game that never got out of Japan. Hmmmmm. Sorry, Lucas. :crying:

R.O.B. stays. He helped save the video game industry. Sure, Wii Fit sold well but the NES could have possibly bombed and the gaming industry would have never reignited without R.O.B.

Ridley or K. Rool... They're like peanut butter and jelly. Two extremely popular picks on the ballot that just so happened to be villains. The fact that either being cut will never happen makes me so unsure of who to pick.

Gestahl

Smash Cadet
I just saw that Nintendo has an official sketch over bowsette before she became a thing. My theory; that Nintendo planted the seed on the web so they could reveal her in ultimate aint so stupid now eh!? It would be the Ultimate reveal of all time!

Iridium

Smash Hero
If you all could see 10 fighting game franchises (aside from SF) get rep in Smash, what would you like to see?

For me:

1. Fatal Fury
2. Tekken
3. Virtua Fighter
4. King of Fighters (unless there's an issue, for whatever reason)
5. Mortal Kombat
6. Killer Instinct
7. Guilty Gear
8. Dead or Alive
9. MvC (the Capcom characters though)
10. Darkstalkers

Extras (partially based on answers):

11. SoulCalibur (should have been top 10)
12. Samurai Shodown (somehow not a typo)
13. Bloody Roar
14. Blazblue (was thinking about this earlier)

Edit: Try to think of franchises that generally consist of just video game characters.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So no Smash... wrap it up.

Although there are a couple of hours left, all of their announcements are usually made at that time, so don’t expect anything after.

At least foxes are going to be in the game now.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
It's the same thing. Both were major events and nobody was expecting any actual Smash news. Nothing changed whatsoever in that regard. I just personally felt like too much emphasis was placed on Minecon for no substantial or

Minecon was being talked about because Minecraft is a constant Smash subject here. It made sense to keep an eye on an event, especially since many people expect Minecraft content in Smash itself(regardless of Steve being playable or not). It was not an odd subject to come up.

The only issue is that a lot of it wasn't strictly related to Smash itself, and that's an issue this thread has as is. Too much Social stuff. >.< But that's not a problem related to Minecon(which was actually on-topic in this context).
The reason why nobody expected any actual news this time was because the information wasn't being reached across the media. I actually did expect some smash news as some smashers that was there said that Nintendo employees told them to "look forward to Sunday." on twitter etc.The actual hints and tips off was very much there; it just wasn't broadcasted well enough. Both were major events yes; however Smash is directly there as an event for Evo + Nintendo marketing towards Smash Ultimate was different from before where even notable Smash players felt it was "unnatural". Minecon and Smash are entirely separate entities (was Smash at Minecon?) Evo and Smash are not; Evo main event is competition and fighting games. Smash tie into Evo. It's a false equivalence to say Minecon + Smash news chances is the same as Evo+Smash news especially considering Smash Ultimate marketing tactics. Maybe for the misinformed or uninformed the chances are the same as but it wasn't farfetched especially when notable Smashers was saying "they're going to announce something at Evo" on twitter.

I wasn't against Minecon discussion for the most part until it turned into pages and pages of it when everyone should have expected nothing to be revealed. The level of discussion didn't match the actual legitimacy of what was hoping to be revealed which prompted me to make my original comment pointing out this behavior.

Last edited:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I just saw that Nintendo has an official sketch over bowsette before she became a thing. My theory; that Nintendo planted the seed on the web so they could reveal her in ultimate aint so stupid now eh!? It would be the Ultimate reveal of all time!
If that actually happened I would not buy Ultimate

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Please, I hope not...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey guys, so the reason I've been so quiet is because I've been plowing through Dragon Quest XI
And honestly I almost need one of these guys to be DLC haha

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I really doubt we"re getting a playable Minecraft character (hopefully) and the only reason why this is gaining any traction whatsoever is due to "supposed leaks" that wasn't stated by Vergeban. Steve is not happening and I'm confident in it.
Vergeben actually stated Minecraft would be in back in May, recently saying he heard possibly a character.

For the people who (good choice!) aren't watching Minecon.
oof :urg:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The reason why nobody expected any actual news this time was because the information wasn't being reached across the media. I actually did expect some smash news as some smashers that was there said that Nintendo employees told them to "look forward to Sunday." on twitter etc.The actual hints and tips off was very much there; it just wasn't broadcasted well enough. Both were major events yes; however Smash is directly there as an event for Evo + Nintendo marketing towards Smash Ultimate was different from before where even notable Smash players felt it was "unnatural". Minecon and Smash are entirely separate entities (was Smash at Minecon?) Evo and Smash are not; Evo main event is competition and fighting games. Smash tie into Evo. It's a false equivalence to say Minecon + Smash news chances is the same as Evo+Smash news especially considering Smash Ultimate marketing tactics. Maybe for the misinformed or uninformed the chances are the same as but it wasn't farfetched especially when notable Smashers was saying "they're going to announce something at Evo" on twitter.
EVO is nothing more than a large gaming event. Minecon is nothing more than a large gaming event. So are many other things. There is still no serious difference to begin with. People are looking for stuff that isn't there again. It doesn't remotely matter if one is heavily about fighting games. And no, people were actually severely surprised we got actual Smash information at EVO. Want to know why? It was considered a case of "Nintendo does not announce anything at events they don't specifically hold, themselves." The fact it even happened was an extremely huge surprise and those twitters? They were people who were easily dismissed as being unrealistic. It was completely unrealistic to expect a Smash announcement.

Large gaming events may or may not have announcements related to Smash. Never expect it. Be surprised if somehow it happens. You're looking for differences that don't legitimately exist. EVO is the same thing as Minecon. Just an event for a specific genre or game series. No more, no less.

Allow me to quote someone loosely who talked about EVO; "EVO won't have any Smash announcements." Said on this forum, more than once. It wasn't remotely expected, and people didn't seriously care about Smash Ultimate even being there, they just cared about the fact it was a gaming event about fighting games. If there's a remote chance Smash could be involved among a series, people think there's a tiny chance a Smash announcement could happen. The genre/series of what the event is about has little bearing on this. You'd think EVO having Smash alone would've mattered, but it actually didn't. It didn't make a difference to people. And for good reasons. It never mattered to begin with in people's opinions. Keep in mind the difference you see might make sense, if we're talking about what is realistically going to happen. But I'm talking about expectations, not just what will happen. People expect things as is that might seem odd. The human race is weird sometimes. I mean, people clung onto to the even worse chair theory super hard when it made little sense(at least Minecon having the tiniest chance of having Smash content, obviously announced by Nintendo/Sakurai has some real logic to it. And nobody considers it likely, so it's not like it happening is expected anyway). Besides, Mincon is still going, so...

In fact, the "large announcement being over" should've killed the expectations, the only actual real point of evidence towards a Smash announcement not happening. As it's the only thing they tweeted.

D

Deleted member

My favorite part of any Smash Speculation period is people expecting Smash announcements in non-Smash presentations.
One of my favorites was "Ganondorf and Impa will be announced in the Hyrule Warriors Direct!!"

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Only leeway for that one is that some Project M staff did DDLC. Even then, people would prefer characters from other games that messed with players' perception of games before DDLC did, like Irisu, Sans and that character from Eversion.
I can see people preferring Sans, but Irisu and Eversion seem even more niche then DDLC.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
If you all could see 10 fighting game franchises (aside from SF) get rep in Smash, what would you like to see?

For me:

1. Fatal Fury
2. Tekken
3. Virtua Fighter
5. Mortal Kombat
6. Killer Instinct
7. Guilty Gear
8. Dead or Alive
10. Darkstalkers
Smash Bros (Yeah, we need Taboo to represent the Smash Bros franchise itself)
Killer Instinct
Cartoon Network Battle Crashers
Injustice 1 and 2
Marvel Super Heroes
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Bloody Roar
Arms
Samurai Showdown
Mortal Kombat

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
My favorite part of any Smash Speculation period is people expecting Smash announcements in non-Smash presentations.
One of my favorites was "Ganondorf and Impa will be announced in the Hyrule Warriors Direct!!"
...but wasn't Ganon already in the game at that point?

osby

Smash Obsessed

For me:

1. Fatal Fury
2. Tekken
3. Virtua Fighter
5. Mortal Kombat
6. Killer Instinct
7. Guilty Gear
8. Dead or Alive
10. Darkstalkers
  1. Persona 4 Arena (shut up, it counts)
  2. Blazblue
  3. Virtua Fighter
  4. Darkstalkers
  5. Tekken
  6. Guilty Gear
  7. Dead or Alive
  8. Under Night in-Birth
  9. Skullgirls
  10. Eeeh... Marvel vs Capcom, then

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Pre
Shovel Knight in a Splatoon direct

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Welp looking forward to the updates to Minecraft though I felt Dungeons is going to be a different/sequel... besides that!

All these rumors/leaks as well Verg like knowledge to another leaker last week got us to excited & debate about Steve & Minecraft in Smash which Minecon happened to be next week at the time probably had cause a lot us to think we’ll get a Smash announcement like how in Evo were out of nowhere Nintendo announces a Direct. Though Smash Bros would have had overshadowed the whole event, which in the chat it looked to me mostly everyone was here for Smash Bros... The mods had been timing out Steve For Smash at the start! o.o

I was going to watch anyways but after what Verg comment on... I think I got to over excited to see what happens... Man, Smash news is going to be a lot slower since Sakurai’s statement a few days ago.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Vergeben actually stated Minecraft would be in back in May, recently saying he heard possibly a character.
he didn't hear a character aside a murmur and Hitagi saying Steve is a character in Ultimate
unless his "3 main smash sources" do get info that Steve is happening, like with Incineroar, there we freaking go.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Smash Bros (Yeah, we need Taboo to represent the Smash Bros franchise itself)
Killer Instinct
Cartoon Network Battle Crashers
Injustice 1 and 2
Marvel Super Heroes
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Bloody Roar
Arms
Samurai Showdown
Mortal Kombat
I was leaning towards franchises with primarily video game characters to be honest, but I guess that isn't too bad.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

For me:

1. Fatal Fury
2. Tekken
3. Virtua Fighter
5. Mortal Kombat
6. Killer Instinct
7. Guilty Gear
8. Dead or Alive
10. Darkstalkers
Darkstalkers
Tekken
Virtua Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
King of Fighters
Dead Or Alive
Fatal Fury
Samurai Showdown
Blazblue

I can see people preferring Sans, but Irisu and Eversion seem even more niche then DDLC.
I know, but they still did it first. Much like Noitu Love barely being known compared to Cave Story, even though it's one of the very first indie properties.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

For me:

1. Fatal Fury
2. Tekken
3. Virtua Fighter
5. Mortal Kombat
6. Killer Instinct
7. Guilty Gear
8. Dead or Alive
10. Darkstalkers
1. Tekken
2. SoulCalibur
3. Virtua Fighter
4. Fatal Fury
5. King of Fighters
6. Guilty Gear
7. Killer Instinct
8. Darkstalkers
9. Bloody Roar
10. Dead or Alive

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What got revealed at Minecon that wasn't what people thought it was? I slept until noon like a doofus.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Darkstalkers
Tekken
Virtua Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
King of Fighters
Dead Or Alive
Fatal Fury
Samurai Showdown
Blazblue

I know, but they still did it first. Much like Noitu Love barely being known compared to Cave Story, even though it's one of the very first indie properties.
Not familiar with SS, and it seems fine. Didn't know it's actually spelled "Samurai Shodown" though.

It irks me.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I don't disagree. I'd just be very surprise if fans of, say, Pony Island, were disappointed if Sans got in before...

actually, I'm not sure who Pony Island would have.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For the people who (good choice!) aren't watching Minecon.
It's over.
Steve was not revealed.
This day in a nutshell:

Not familiar with SS, and it seems fine. Didn't know it's actually spelled "Samurai Shodown" though.

It irks me.
It's an easy mistake to make. That said, you could say the official spelling is something of a grandfather clause, like with Pokémon keeping its name Westside long after Monster in My Pocket stopped being relevant.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it was just a new Minecraft "Dungeons" game and a couple of updates. Nothing Smash related was shown.
So far, anyway.

Minecon isn't over, so it's best to wait it out.

I still expect nothing, though. It's fun to watch, on the other hand. The presentation is well done and they're great at emoting.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
At least, we can hope is that Smash Direct would be in late October/early November or until new tag have been removed from fighter section which does let us know that new fighter announcements is coming soon.

It will be long time of waiting for actual info, but I would rather to wish for legit leaks that popped up during that time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom