• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Percon

Smash Lord
chaindude, I think you're right.

Charizard is combo fodder. He has terrible horizontal air movement despite multiple jumps. He is often frustrating to play, and while he has great moves, many of which are powerful, many of them have weird hitboxes or are tough to land, such as fair (if not spaced right it does no knockback). Also biar is hard to land...

Furthermore, Panda said the hint would be hard, and Ike would be too obvious (unless he's mindgaming us)

One Pokemon at a time might be good too.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
chaindude, I think you're right.

Charizard is combo fodder. He has terrible horizontal air movement despite multiple jumps. He is often frustrating to play, and while he has great moves, many of which are powerful, many of them have weird hitboxes or are tough to land, such as fair (if not spaced right it does no knockback). Also biar is hard to land...

Furthermore, Panda said the hint would be hard, and Ike would be too obvious (unless he's mindgaming us)

One Pokemon at a time might be good too.
well ike doenst have bad jumps lil worse then mario i think :ohwell:

i couldnt really think of a whole lot of reasons which you did so cookie :)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Characters left...

Wario
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Olimar
Fox
Zero Suit Samus
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Sheik
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Sonic
Jigglypuff

-difficulty when it comes to landing on platforms (could imply needs auto canceling or recovery issues)

Donkey Kong (recovery and needs ac'ing)
Ike (recovery and needs ac'ing)
Ness (recovery and needs ac'ing)
Mario (recovery)
Pokémon Trainer (recovery)

-hard to play/learn character

Ike (LAGGY attacks)
Ness (he's awkward)
Mario (you need to be reactive to your opponent to "combo")
Pokémon Trainer (learn 3 characters)

-jumping mechanics are limited by physics engine

Ness (looses DJC)
Mario (harder to follow up w/ jumps)

-lacking projectiles at lower levels of play
Ness (I assume this means that you have to learn to use the projectiles, pkt, pk flash, and pk fire, so that they're usable which is harder at lower levels of play)

-hard to hit powerful attacks

Ness (PKT2, pk flash, bat)

-Trouble against aerial opponents

Uh... that's not a Ness problem. In fact that's an area he excels at. He can't deal with people who force him to approach that is his major problem.

In short... IDK

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
When you mentioned jumping, I was thinking Peach, but a bad time against aerial characters and lack of (good) projectiles threw that possibility out the window. Charizard seems like a possibility, considering how out of the box mentioning him is. He's usually lumped into PT, so having him seperate is a bit unexpected, but ultimately makes sense.

I main PT, and I can tell you that Zard:

-Has an abysmally slow horizontal air speed and low veritcal distance from his jumps

-While, he DOES have Flamethrower, it's not the best projectile out there, if it could be considered one.

-Has a hard time when people are under him or when he's on a crash aerial course. His Fair needs to be point blank to do anything, and his other aerials have meh range. He can shield grab people who have a great short hop game, but when it's aerial vs. aerial, Zard seems to lose out most of the time.

-Has plenty of strong moves that are hard to land. Among those, he have sweetspotted Fair, sweetspotted Bair, spiking Dair, sweetspotted rocksmash, his Usmash(second hit misses often enough), Fsmash, sweetspotted Dtilt and Ftilt, and Fly-assuming you land that last hit, which is always a chore I might add. Keep in mind for his quick moves that he also needs to sweetspot for them to be considered powerful.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Lucas except that he has no problem in the air most of the time... and not all of his attack are ridiculously powerful...

Ike is my guess i think because of his inability to land attacks and his poor recovery.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I think it's either DK or Olimar. I don't know too much about DK, but Olimar basically fits that entire hint, with the exception of the "lacks a projectile" (though if they mean a good projectile, this could be it).

P.S. Could be Ike too.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
The clue fits Jigglypuff near perfectly.

For the odd landing on platforms, for Jigglypuff, it's referring to platforms on Battlefield and such where she jumps too high for it. Opponents who do better than her in the air also have trouble with her. Only problem I see is the ridiculously powerful attacks, though she does have a few.

My vote's on Jiggly.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
My head hurts.

To quell the pain, I'm just gonna list all the characters that are left...in pic form! I had to do it myself since I couldn't find the old one.

Tell me if I accidently scratched someone out, or forgot to, if they are yet to, or already have been, done (though I think I got everyone).

Now we play the thinking game...(though I'm temporarily going with Charizard due to large amounts of proof and little opposition so far in this thread. I'll need to play around with him tonight...).

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Guys, it's Charizard.

"Jumping ability is limited by the game mechanics" means exactly what it says. Charizard can fly freely in his own series. Obviously, Sakurai couldn't have a truly flight-worthy character in a platform-based game, so he toned down Charizard by giving him two pathetically tiny jumps and a slow glide.

Also, in the games, Fly sends the Pokemon up into the air on the first turn, and then has them swoop back down on the second turn, doing damage. Sakurai fudged it up and combined the two parts, having it be one swooping motion up that does damage.

So yeah, it's Charizard. I win.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
i think ike or jiggly, but the thinking hard part makes me lean towards jiggs

infomon

Smash Scientist
What an interesting hint!

This character has difficulty when it comes to landing on platforms, and playing the character can be extremely frustrating at times. This is because the character's jumping mechanics are limited by the game's physics engine.
Ice Climbers have difficulty landing on platforms, because of the AI engine, which isn't the physics engine. But that might just be an oversight on Panda's part. Nana getting dumb about platforms certainly does make the IC game frustrating at times, and really stage-dependent.

Alternatively, Jigglypuff's full hop doesn't even reach between platforms on battlefield! This is part of what makes Jiggs... interesting..... and she's so floaty, and slow on the ground, they might very well be talking about her difficulty landing between all her aerial game. Just touching the ground slows all her momentum a bunch.

Peach's first two jumps can't make it to the top platform on battlefield :ohwell:

Plus, the basic gameplay lacks projectiles, which can also add to the frustration when playing.
The basic gameplay? What the heck does that mean? Some possibilities:
  • ZSS has projectiles only at the start of the match.
  • Wario has a projectile, sort of, when his bike gets broken.
  • Sonic's spring is a projectile, but isn't used like most projectiles. But it is a part of his basic gameplay, IMO.
  • This is just meant to mean that the character has no projectile. Jiggs, DK, Ike, etc...
  • Most of the other projectiles (IC's, Mario's fireball and watergun, Luigi's fireball) could be argued to be not useful enough to count as a part of "basic gameplay".

I dunno. It could be almost anyone, if you argue it well. Hmmmm.....

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
GREAT BREAKTHROUGH!!!

I know I'm (pseudo) double posting, but I believe this deserves its own post.

this character's attacks are ridiculously powerful, landing them can be quite a pain.
Most of you look at this and immediately think that the character has "powerful" attacks, and landing them can be difficult, like Ike's Fsmash, etc.

But what if it literally means the attacks causes pain? That, upon "landing" the attacks, the opponent will feel "pain"? It would open up more character possibilities, if the only reason a character can't fit the hint is because they don't have hard to hit attacks.

I'm just throwing it out there, trying to break out of this imaginary box Panda put me in.

Maybe I managed to punch a hole in it. Or maybe I'm staring at it from space. Who knows.

:dizzy:

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I'm gonna work from the more obvious hints

Which remaining characters lack a projectile?
Donkey Kong, Ike, Jigglypuff, Wario

Ridiculously powerful?
DK, Ike, Wario

Limited Jumping?
DK, Ike

Aerial problems?
Not DK.

Awwwww yeah. The storm is here.
*insert Ike taunt here*

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥This could have easily been Ganondorf if he was not done already. ;)
Anyway, I'm leading toward Ike or Charizard. If it comes out to be Princess Peach I'll be dumbfounded.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
It does sort of sound like Charizard in some regards, but something just doesn't seem to click with me. Maybe it's because not many positives were mentioned so its hard to check both sides of the spectrum.

I honestly don't think Charizard has many moves that are hard to land except for maybe Fair, Dsmash, and Fsmash. Bair, Utilt, and anything are usually better options, respectively.

But considering everyone likes bagging on PT, I think that this is pretty close.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I'm gonna work from the more obvious hints

Which remaining characters lack a projectile?
Donkey Kong, Ike, Jigglypuff, Wario

Ridiculously powerful?
DK, Ike, Wario

Limited Jumping?
DK, Ike

Aerial problems?
Not DK.

Awwwww yeah. The storm is here.
*insert Ike taunt here*
Just remember that the hint stated "Plus, the basic gameplay lacks projectiles". This means that this character could have projectiles, but the basic gameplay lacks them. Whatever that means :confused:.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Just remember that the hint stated "Plus, the basic gameplay lacks projectiles". This means that this character could have projectiles, but the basic gameplay lacks them. Whatever that means :confused:.
Acknowledged. But frankly, even taking that into account, I'd only add in Sonic, Luigi, and maybe Ice Climbers.
Sonic fails at ridiculous power, and Luigi has great air attacks.
I could see IC's, but I'm still going with Ike.

_clinton

Smash Master
I'm thinking Ike...however...I don't see his air game to be that bad...more along the lines of a little below avg.

Top Bottom