• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skler's Incredibly Awesome Link Guide! Discussion too!

HiIH

Smash Lord
This guide is going to be so epic, that everyone is going to drop their mains to switch to Link.

Soon Link will become the ONLY tier. Link tier.

Skler

Smash Master
It's done! Also 26 pages (though the 26th page is roughly a half page, and the sections have some space between them).

The foreword can be found in the main post, and I'm going to get this formatted and online eventually.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
****ing awesome

<333

I know everyone is looking forward to the much anticipated Kraken part of the guide. I hope you specifically go into the signs to know if you are dealing with kraken, or his lovecraftian cousin, Cthulhu.

in all seriousness i can't wait for the guide to come out.

Spife

Smash Master
great old ones would probably make Link top tier at the expense of all our blood.

...I'm game.

HiIH

Smash Lord
I appreciate you writing this guide for Link, from the Legend of Zelda series, for Super Smash Brothers Melee, for the Nintendo Gamecube Entertainment System, more than you know.

Skler

Smash Master
You know what's really fun? Doing HTML and CSS.

For 26 pages of Microsoft Word.

When you should be studying for an English Midterm.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I'm going to play Link soooo much more after this is done. Skler, you're godly.

Too godly for midterms, apparently.

Skler

Smash Master
I dominated the midterm, no worries.

Granted I may accidentally turn in my Link Guide instead of a paper some time.

Does anybody know a good free website hoster? One that lets me just stick some files online.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
If you just want to store some files Mediafire or something would be just fine.
And WEMP, your avatar looks like a Heartless Link; I like it. =D

Skler

Smash Master
I mean toss up some HTML files, not store normal files. I think I have a spot to put the guide up though, might be up in an hour or two, might be up tomorrow.

There is a kraken involved.

Skyson

Smash Ace
I loaded the page and fell into a coma.

I'm going to read it now, probably skip college tomorrow and read it a couple more times.

Then, I'm going to win at everything.

Skler is a gift to mankind.

Skyson

Smash Ace
Just finished reading it.

I am going to main Link for the next... month or so.

Learned things that mankind probably shouldn't know about Link.

I feel like a new person..

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
WRONG said:
Another low tier who you want to camp and CC dsmash a lot!? Who woulda thunk it.

Kirby can be camped and beaten up close. You can't grab his crouch and sometimes he crouches under things you wouldn't expect (every projectile), but he's Kirby. Keep him at bay with your sword or projectiles, apply the fsmash as often as you like because he can't do anything about it and just win. His approach is annoying since he can WD up and stay crouched, but your dsmash is better than his entire character so it isn't much of a problem.

He can edge guard you extremely well since he has a bunch of jumps, but you still have good vertical movement so you have a shot at getting back. Plus, he has terrible aerial mobility. It takes him 3 years to get out to hookshot distance and 3 more to get back to the stage. Dodge through him and watch him struggle to keep you away from the stage. Classic.

Edge guard him with the nair. He has a lot of jumps but can't move horizontally for the life of him, so make him lose that life!
Im gonna help :D

You can't CC Kirby. Really, you can't. He is the only character who can approach with a grab from the air and Inhale > Everything forever. Projectile camping him works but not as well as you'd assume as Link is slow as balls so if you're not on a stage like DL or DK64 it's harder than you think(Still doable though) You may actually be better off rushing him down tbh.

Also, Kirby doesn't actually have to go off stage to edge guard link. His Dtilt eats recoveries like Links(and Marths lol) unless you space yourself far enough from the ledge to hit him away with your Up B, so hugging the wall doesn't work well. Also, Kirby does well against tether recoveries since he can just sit on the ledge, refresh invincibility and just do a falling Bair from the ledge. You're best bet is to have a bomb out and ready and do a hookshot jump and try and knock him away with a bomb.

Also, as a point of interest, Kirby's Uair > Links Nair when recovering low. You can nair at me all you want, but expect to eat a face full of Stage Spike if you do. Also Kirby's Crouch > Your Fsmash lol.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
"Pikachu is a quick little bugger, the low tier Fox."

I want royalties.

That being said, Skler, the peptalk at the beginning is... *wipes away a tear* an inspiration. You have my eternal adoration.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler said:
The insta-sweetspot hookshot. This is difficult to do, but when it happens it is incredible. The hookshot will occasionally let you sweetspot the edge if you hit near the top and reel in quickly. I'm not entirely sure why this happens or where you need to hit, but my experiences say hitting near the top of the edge causes this to happen more often than hitting low. This is a great way to turn things around on edge guarders or freak out people who are standing too close to the edge. Eventually you'll develop a sort of feel for when this works and you will notice people stop jumping out at you as often.
DEAR SKLER, it's not where you hit, it's when you reel in. Try doing it just as you start to fall with slack in the line. There's a timing for doing it, and I've gotten pretty good at it.

(Now I'm gonna keep reading)
EDIT-Feel my Link powers.... glowing...

Skler

Smash Master
Im gonna help :D

You can't CC Kirby. Really, you can't. He is the only character who can approach with a grab from the air and Inhale > Everything forever. Projectile camping him works but not as well as you'd assume as Link is slow as balls so if you're not on a stage like DL or DK64 it's harder than you think(Still doable though) You may actually be better off rushing him down tbh.

Also, Kirby doesn't actually have to go off stage to edge guard link. His Dtilt eats recoveries like Links(and Marths lol) unless you space yourself far enough from the ledge to hit him away with your Up B, so hugging the wall doesn't work well. Also, Kirby does well against tether recoveries since he can just sit on the ledge, refresh invincibility and just do a falling Bair from the ledge. You're best bet is to have a bomb out and ready and do a hookshot jump and try and knock him away with a bomb.

Also, as a point of interest, Kirby's Uair > Links Nair when recovering low. You can nair at me all you want, but expect to eat a face full of Stage Spike if you do. Also Kirby's Crouch > Your Fsmash lol.
In my experiences vs kirby his aerial approaches are laughable (except the bair, which is really predictable). Link's CC > Kirby's ground moves - inhale, which is really slow. Link's jab and fsmash are better than kirby's aerials, it's his ground shenanigans that annoy Link the most. On the ground you really just want to dsmash a lot, Kirby has no good anti-CC move that isn't an aerial. The fsmash is mostly an aerial defense, but Kirby's crouch is really stupid if it can go under the fsmash :(

I know Link is slow, but Kirby in the air is slower. Link's camp is platform camping and Kirby can't pursue Link on platforms very well.

Kirby on stage/edge isn't a problem at all for the same reasons Mario on stage/edge isn't a problem. They have to get on the edge to stop the hookshot. If they don't get on the edge you sweet spot no problem, and if they do get on the edge you just recover with the upB (or hookshot low and upB) and tech whatever attack they throw at you. They have to get on the edge early because Link is throwing things 24/7.

Kirby's uair is powerful but it's kind of slow (and thus easily teched) and I've never seen people use it while recovering. Kirby players usually fair during their recovery for extra distance or whatever, Kirby needs that extra distance. Link can hop out and nair while remaining relatively safe and unpredictable due to fast fall timing, his vertical movement is fast. Also, Link is always throwing things. I should probably mention that more in the guide.

@ Hihi, for realsies? That would explain why you develop a feel for it. Yet it doesn't explain why it happens so **** often on Battlefield (honestly, half my hookshots on battlefield let me do that). Maybe I'm just crazy.

I need to add some things, but I shall do that later.

Edit:

@Icelink, that's what she said.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
In my experiences vs kirby his aerial approaches are laughable (except the bair, which is really predictable). Link's CC > Kirby's ground moves - inhale, which is really slow. Link's jab and fsmash are better than kirby's aerials, it's his ground shenanigans that annoy Link the most. On the ground you really just want to dsmash a lot, Kirby has no good anti-CC move that isn't an aerial. The fsmash is mostly an aerial defense, but Kirby's crouch is really stupid if it can go under the fsmash :(

I know Link is slow, but Kirby in the air is slower. Link's camp is platform camping and Kirby can't pursue Link on platforms very well.

Kirby on stage/edge isn't a problem at all for the same reasons Mario on stage/edge isn't a problem. They have to get on the edge to stop the hookshot. If they don't get on the edge you sweet spot no problem, and if they do get on the edge you just recover with the upB (or hookshot low and upB) and tech whatever attack they throw at you. They have to get on the edge early because Link is throwing things 24/7.

Kirby's uair is powerful but it's kind of slow (and thus easily teched) and I've never seen people use it while recovering. Kirby players usually fair during their recovery for extra distance or whatever, Kirby needs that extra distance. Link can hop out and nair while remaining relatively safe and unpredictable due to fast fall timing, his vertical movement is fast. Also, Link is always throwing things. I should probably mention that more in the guide.

@ Hihi, for realsies? That would explain why you develop a feel for it. Yet it doesn't explain why it happens so **** often on Battlefield (honestly, half my hookshots on battlefield let me do that). Maybe I'm just crazy.

I need to add some things, but I shall do that later.

Edit:

@Icelink, that's what she said.
Im gonna argue some of this later, but just know that inhale actually comes out on frame 10 and that Uair is frame 11. Not the fastest but definitely not slow moves.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff skler. I noticed that you recommend battle field an awful lot. . . . I really suck something awful on BF.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff skler. I noticed that you recommend battle field an awful lot. . . . I really suck something awful on BF.
I agree.
But thats just because i always **** up the hookshot. I always miss the edge since its so small a target.

you also recomended rainbow cruise alot. I never woulda thought. But i guess ive only played there like 3 times with link. i need to go back there and get familiar with the stage and tactics now.

Overall. Great guide Skler!

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
After I finish my HW I'm going to read the **** out of this.
Probably staying up all night and if I don't finish I have a half day tomorrow so I'll finish it then >:D

Top Bottom