• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skler's Incredibly Awesome Link Guide! Discussion too!

Skler

Smash Master
Battlefield would probably be Link's second best stage if it had bigger edges (RC would be first). I'll add a stage section later.

Spife

Smash Master
aren't you forgetting about fd?
fd let's you lose to fox/shiek faster so you can pick a good character!

>.> still haven't read guide lulz, I'll get to it when Link and I aren't fighting.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler said:
@ Hihi, for realsies? That would explain why you develop a feel for it. Yet it doesn't explain why it happens so **** often on Battlefield (honestly, half my hookshots on battlefield let me do that). Maybe I'm just crazy.
Yeeeeep. I figured it out when I kept getting edgeguarded by a Marth. When they commit to bairing you, you will actually go through them. I'm unsure if you get invincibility frames or not, but I do know I got to where said Marth either had to bair me early, get edgehogged, or attempt to guard from the stage.

I'm guessing it works kinda like Samus's beam in that fact, except for instead of having to have slack and moving upwards, there's some strange falling property. I'll try messing around with it again today.

rhan

Smash Hero
FUDGE!

The school blocked the site to the guide. I'll have to look at it later. :(

Spife

Smash Master
"Whenever you aren't sure of what to do next do a full jump nair and think about it for a moment. Not done thinking? Double jump into another nair, your opponent will wait."

lol.

Edit:

"You need to ban Yoshi's story immediately. Once you've loudly and clearly announced that you are banning Yoshi's story..."

Lulz, and I can hear you saying that in my head.

HiIH

Smash Lord
The worst part about both of those quotes that Spife quoted was that I know that I do both of them.

Alot <.<;;;

randyman400

Smash Rookie
Winning requires a winner's attitude. Link isn't ****ing you to lose every match, that's your own fault. Get better.

As soon as I read that line, I knew it was gonna be good.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm able to read it! :D

"Young Link

Stages to pick: Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story, FD

Stages to avoid: Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64
PS is a avoid stage. It's Young Link's best stage against any character. Yoshi's is iffy.

A reversal! Link no longer wants bigger stages with lots of aerial fighting, he wants small stages where he can use his brute strength to come out on top. He also wants to limit Young Link's ability to run circles around him while throwing things.

This is an aggravating match, Young Link can camp the crap out of you. His projectiles are better and he's faster. You have to find a way to stop him from jumping around and spamming, holding onto a bomb does this pretty well. Once you get him into a normal fight just keep yourself spaced and abuse your better sword. The master sword destroys evil, it better be able to beat that crappy dagger he's using.
Camping is the main thing to avoid against Young Link. But if your camp is better and you're able to pull out your projectiles first then you're in control. Shaeman and I play this match up every time we're in the same room. When both players are trying to camp, there's a rock, paper, scissors, effect when it comes down to the 3 projectiles. On Link's perspective: Boomer beats bomb due to how long it takes to even pull out a bomb. Bomb beats arrows/approach. Arrows are sort of worthless but Boomer still beats Boomer. Especially since yours goes farther.

Nair spam isn't that effective against Young Link's disjointed hitbox, so try and focus on a more grounded and shffled game against him. Keep him from getting mobile by raining down spaced fairs, jabs and dsmashes. His grab is ranged, but it's slow and not even very long. Don't worry too much about getting shield grabbed, his throws aren't that good anyways.
LOL

When I try to go offensive in the matchup I usually Nair spam. It works until Link sends his out before yours. Then you're getting smacked around. :(

Grounded game is best against Young Link due to the fact Link's power moves are actually grounded moves. If a Young Link approaches You can Utilt any kind of SHFFL attack (As long you know the timing).

He can edge guard you in a way similar to Link, so keep mixing it up. His nair is worse than yours so you should be clear if you hook the stage as long as he doesn't drop a bomb.
Young Link's Nair is about equivalent. Only real difference is that your Nair stays out a little longer. Nair is still a useful edgegaurd to Link's hookshot. But Young Link has more effective Edgeguarding ability on the ground. Main edgeuarding tactics we got is D-Smash (Best), Ftilt, and the occasional Dtilt (Not really recommended but it still happens).

Also "Lai-fire" (Bomb drop to Dair) is another way to effectively edgegaurd character who trys to sweet spot.

Young Link almost has to recover with the upB every time. The solution is nairing him, it's that easy. Dropping a bomb into a nair works too, but the nair should be involved. Make sure you rub it in his face when it hits and ask why his nair is so much worse than yours. He does do better in the matchup though, so maybe you shouldn't."
This is on point. Except for the fact our Nair is worse.

Edit: Fun Fact. Young Link's Dair beats Link's Dair every time. Get Flamed Spiked. :)

Skler

Smash Master
My reasoning behind Yl stuff:

PS is pretty good since it lacks crazy amounts of platforms for YL to dance on in its neutral setting and has a low ceiling. Link is much better at vertical KOs than Young Link and is less mobile/campy. Me and Dazwa have played plenty of YL/Link in tournament, and Young Link on stages with 3 platforms is just stupidly hard for Link to pin down. Plus PS has a giant floor, letting Link use his superior range.

I've always found that while Link can spam almost as well as Young Link it's the mobility that kills him. Link is just so slow that the youngin' can dodge your projectiles while throwing his, forcing you to shield or get into a bad position.

I said ground play is best for Link! Nair spam gets you utilted/uaired, or bombed into utilts/uairs. Neither character should really be approaching in the air due to how swordy they are.

My guide says YL's nair is worse! It just doesn't have that long lasting flavor of Link's, and it doesn't have the super sweet range/priority. They do tend to straight up trade when you run into each other and neither is fresher, but Link's is still cooler. Much cooler. You can keep your fire spike.

Edit: It should probably go FD, Yoshi's then PS. FD is probably the best stage to force ground play, and YS makes it dangerous to run around on platforms since Link can utilt through them. Only problem with YS is the tiny border doesn't let Link use his recovery very much.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Me and Dazwa have played plenty of YL/Link in tournament,
Understatement of the century :laugh:

I just saw the guide, and omg huge novel. I'd give it a read right now if I didn't have work tomorrow, but I'll give you a pre-emptive "good ****" now because it looks pretty awesome.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Link is so boring to fight if they're playing right.

Fortunately most people don't.

But this guide will show them doing it right.

Screw you Skler.

I bet you're not really Texan either.

Skler

Smash Master
For Sheik it's never boring to play Link!

Unless you get tired of CGing. Then again, if you don't like CGing why are you playing Sheik?

Never doubt my Texosity!

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
This guide is s0000000per helpful.
I've been trying to add it to my playstyle and stuff so thank you Skler.
My friends main Marf and Sheik so it's good to know how to face them and not go crazy.
And if I remember didn't you say that the guide won't be on that website for long or something like that?
But anyway. Skler is toooooooo good.

Skler

Smash Master
I'm not sure how long it'll be able to stay up there. It's a part of a school network, so chances are it'll get taken down since it has nothing to do with school at all.

Skler

Smash Master
I can only imagine how upset my teacher would be if I slammed down 26 pages of smash bros when he expected 6 pages of Shakespeare.

The answer: Not upset at all.

rhan

Smash Hero
Just take the info and put it all in the first post.

Is it really that difficult?

rhan

Smash Hero
I've seen long *** guides that fit within the character limits.

If all else fails. Myspace blog?

Skler

Smash Master
Myspace blog would be epic. There will be a site up for the guide in about a week, so everything should be fine then.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
I support the facebook group also.

Also a kraken related link main blood pact cult should be a prerequisite, with cult related tattoos needed. I already have my tattoo ready to go as soon as i get some money

HiIH

Smash Lord
Ok, so the group tatoo will be Skler, that has a tatto of The Krakken, that has a tattoo of the Triforce on it.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Jesus the Link boards are sooo cooooooooool. =D
See I would get a tattoo but I'm too young and plus I think a Triforce or something would be kinda dumb.
I mean iunno. Mad props to someone who does it though.

Skler

Smash Master
Ok, so the group tatoo will be Skler, that has a tatto of The Krakken, that has a tattoo of the Triforce on it.
Are you suggesting I get a tattoo of myself covered in tattoos?

I'd be down for that.

Also, where would said tattoo go? I'm thinking smack dab in the middle of my he-man man-chest, right below my man-pecs and right above my man-abs. All Link mains need to get buff enough to look like your avatar, Hi.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Are you suggesting I get a tattoo of myself covered in tattoos?

I'd be down for that.

Also, where would said tattoo go? I'm thinking smack dab in the middle of my he-man man-chest, right below my man-pecs and right above my man-abs. All Link mains need to get buff enough to look like your avatar, Hi.
Yeah, right in the middle of your chest works, and the Krakken is right in the middle of your tattoo'd versions chest, and the Triforce is right in the middle of HIS chest.

If someone could draw up a design, it'd be great.

Top Bottom