• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Correct. It counts as one action, thus being one attack in the queue.
So does each hit in a grab count as separate, or do they count as one, since it is technically inside the same attack. Also if they do count as separate, do you have to wait and do it not in rhythm or can you do it in rhythm and it would still refresh?

Kirk

Smash Champion
Each pummel(I assume you are talking about grab pummels) is a separate attack. They aren't "inside" of anything, they are their own action. Timing does not matter.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Each pummel(I assume you are talking about grab pummels) is a separate attack. They aren't "inside" of anything, they are their own action. Timing does not matter.
I read if you do them too fast they will only count as one attack... so this was false?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you do them without 7 frames in between each pummel only the first one counts.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah if you pummel too quickly it only registers as one move for stale moves. For some reason there are a number of random attacks that do this like Samus's neutral B. DK's pummel happens to be one of them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yeah if you pummel too quickly it only registers as one move for stale moves. For some reason there are a number of random attacks that do this like Samus's neutral B. DK's pummel happens to be one of them.

that's stupid a hell. so don't buffer them? but I like pummeling

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Well I kind of like it since you can choose between more damage (pummeling fast will make each pummel do more damage on top of just being faster lol) or refreshing your other moves. It is just one more thing you have to keep track of. Personally I almost always go for more damage. If Ftilt was really stale vs MK or Dsmash vs someone almost at kill range I'd go a little slower to refresh my moves.

Btw you can't buffer pummels anyway. You have to have really good rhythm or mashing skills to pummel fast. When you try mashing pummels in vs mode, just look to see if you r doing 3 damage per pummel. If you are then all you have to do is pummel a little slower than normal to refresh moves. If naturally you aren't fast enough anyway, then mash extra hard if you want to do more damage.

A good way to test how good you are is to see if you can pummel 4 times and throw someone from a grab at 0% (there is about 9-10 frame window of leniency to accomplish this). If you are super pro you can pummel someone 5 times at 0% before they break out (you have to be pretty much frame perfect for this).

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
^^
4-5 pummels? is that with the other person mashing like crazy to get out of the grab? im guessing its against a comp because a lot of people get out within a second of getting grabbed at low %.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
That's with them not pressing any buttons. Lol I guess I should have mentioned that.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
So pummel out of rhythm for freshness, pummel fast for more damage. Got it.

I was doing some research on Jungle Japes.
Ok so you guys know that if you cargo down throw from the middle platform and throw them under the left or right platforms sometimes it can knock them down into the water, other times it will not they will just hit it and not get spiked into the water.

Well for all the characters it is a matter of percentage, if they are at a certain% they get spiked, if they are below that % they will not get spiked. Its a matter of one %,
For example with snake if hey is at 69% and you throw him, he will not get spiked, it he is at 70% he will get spiked.

I have compiled a list of percentages for every character and their unique characteristics when doing the cargo down throw spike. I was wondering where i should post those numbers.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
So pummel out of rhythm for freshness, pummel fast for more damage. Got it.

I was doing some research on Jungle Japes.
Ok so you guys know that if you cargo down throw from the middle platform and throw them under the left or right platforms sometimes it can knock them down into the water, other times it will not they will just hit it and not get spiked into the water.

Well for all the characters it is a matter of percentage, if they are at a certain% they get spiked, if they are below that % they will not get spiked. Its a matter of one %,
For example with snake if hey is at 69% and you throw him, he will not get spiked, it he is at 70% he will get spiked.

I have compiled a list of percentages for every character and their unique characteristics when doing the cargo down throw spike. I was wondering where i should post those numbers.
sorrry to dissapoint, but DI also changes it. you can avoid the spike everytime if you want.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Of course it works on everybody, just the percent that matters. And if the person is a frame reader like Mew2King, it's not a guarenteed forward smash, I'm sure after they tech that they will avoid it because of it's moderate starting lag.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I know it can be avoided and teched, but if it is not it is a spike. So just for information purposes it works on everybody except ROB after 76%. Not sure why ROB alone, but even at 200% it does not work on ROB. Some characters do weird things when thrown, some hit the underside of the platform and go down, some hit the side of the platform and go down and back a little.

Some people can recover from the underside spike, in that case you can do the side spike which gives you enough time to run off and do a dair and spike them again.

Metaknight is weird, he will hit the side of the platform and hit the side of the center platform then go in the water. If spaced correctly he will hit the side of the platform and fall back on the center platform, he will just be lying there. Easy sakurai combo, grab to sakurai combo too good.

Others characters you have to walk off and throw them for it to be a spike, can be risky due to claptraps.

Also there are plenty of mixups, instead of doing the down throw, you can walk off and do the up throw, and throw them up into the bottom of the platform. They will have DIed the wrong way since they were expecting the normal down throw. Also turn around as you are about to fall off and throw them under the center platform. Doing any of these will cause you to go in the water as well, when you recover from the water with your up b you will hit them as they pass you and stun them making it harder for them to recover.

All of that can be done if it is not teched or DIed, if you try for the underside spike and they tech it do a rar bair and then upb. You will hit them if they are not fast enough to get out of the way, the bair will stun them, the upb will hit and knock them up into the platform spiking them in the water. If done correctly Dk will not fall in the water, if they tech that hit as well, then I say they deserve to live.

Many other things can come from this, I will try to make a video of all the things that I have found.

The character have to be at their respective percentages in order for any of this to work, it can start for some light characters at 58% while it will not work on others such as Bowser till 73%.

jaggedShrapnel

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been asked before.

When I cancel a charging punch in midair, it seems to randomly airdodge. It doesn't happen all that frequently, but it's a deadly mistake. I've tried using L and Z, and it happens with both. I'm aware that when it happens, it's basically accounting for two button presses, but even when being extremely careful about how I'm pressing them, it still seems to be randomly happening.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Sorry if this has been asked before.

When I cancel a charging punch in midair, it seems to randomly airdodge. It doesn't happen all that frequently, but it's a deadly mistake. I've tried using L and Z, and it happens with both. I'm aware that when it happens, it's basically accounting for two button presses, but even when being extremely careful about how I'm pressing them, it still seems to be randomly happening.

Is there a way to avoid this?
I think he always airdodges if the sound for his swing is ending. So listen to the sound and cancel it during it. It's just a few frames where he airdodges so it isn't so hard to do it right.

Or just look at his animation. It happens on a certain part... I think when his arm is not behind/above him, but I didn't test it...

Lestening to the sound is the best/easiest method I think.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
it depends when u cancel it. The easiest way i found to never mess it up, is to press L (or w/e u use) IMMEDIATELY after u here the 'whoosh'.
if u press L too late (right before a whoosh) u airdodge.

jaggedShrapnel

Smash Cadet
Alright, I practiced it a bit, and I got it down. Thanks a bunch guys.
Also, Cyphus, we never did have that DK ditto. You ever coming to another HOBO?

Luigi player

Smash Master
You can only move forward during a grounded upB (unless you aleardy have momentum in the other direction (like from turning around)).

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I feel like a noob for asking this, but for our ledge getup attacks is there a way to choose which one you do? I love the one that shoots you forward, but the one where you slowly get up and do a pansy slap always gets me punished.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
So it all depends on your percent? You best be trollin'...

edit- Wow, I guess you ain't trollin'.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
All the ledge getups change at 100% (for all characters). Under 100% they're faster with less invincibility it seems, but they're generally safter too.

I hate when i try to do the getup attack at like 102% and expect the other one =\ but i get up that way too much anyway :p

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it sucks especially for DK. His 100+ has just "PUNISH" written all over it. The only use I find for it is when the opponent is behind you but you know you can't edgehog him as he is recovering, so you abuse the invincibility frames on the getup attack as he passes by and you smack him back away from the ledge since the hitbox extends a little behind DK too.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Which hitbox of DK's up tilt is the sweetspot and which hitbox is the sourspot? I noticed it sometimes is much stronger than other times, but I don't feel any difference in sound.

daisho

Smash Lord
Which hitbox of DK's up tilt is the sweetspot and which hitbox is the sourspot? I noticed it sometimes is much stronger than other times, but I don't feel any difference in sound.
90% of the hitbox is sourspot. The sweetspot is on his back kind of. Basically go to training and hit a fox at 95% with a tipper jab then turn around up tilt and you should hit him with the sweetspot and kill him.

Luigi player

Smash Master
What has more knockback fully charged forward smash or 9 wind?
DK does this in training mode to a MK (with no DI) who is in the middle of FD:

Fsmash:
fully charged: 35 %
uncharged: 65 %

Giant Punch:
fully charged: 58 %
9-wind: 37 %

So the fully charged fsmash is a little bit stronger.

Edit: um those are the kill percentages. Forgot to mention it, but I guess it wasn't too hard to figure that out. ^^'

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
DK does this in training mode to a MK (with no DI) who is in the middle of FD:

Fsmash:
fully charged: 35 %
uncharged: 65 %

Giant Punch:
fully charged: 58 %
9-wind: 37 %

So the fully charged fsmash is a little bit stronger.
Good to know,

off topic but I was playing a DDD the other day, he threw a Gordo and i did my bair, it hit my bair and kept moving, it passed through me and did not deal damage or any knockback, it just phassed through me.

Glitch? Tactics against gordo? Useless?

Top Bottom