• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It's sort of hard to understand what you're getting at. I think you mean when DK drops off the edge (by pressing back) and then lands on the stage from that. What you have to do is hold diagnal down torwards the stage so that DK doesn't grab the edge, but he moves on to the stage.
I'll try that thanks Veggi i need moar DK tips :bee:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Here's a tip: If you hold down on the CStick as you are doing up B it won't auto-sweetspot the ledge.
not true, just tried it

Can someone give me some tips on approaching with DK?
run and rar a bair or shield. usually you want them to approach so you can punish but against the spammers to need to f-tilt approach or power shield approach and then go nuts

ook

Smash Lord

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Why exactly is Frigate Orpheon a bad stage for DK? I have my ideas as to why, but I'm not entirely sure, as it does tend to be my personal best for some reason. :ohwell:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why exactly is Frigate Orpheon a bad stage for DK? I have my ideas as to why, but I'm not entirely sure, as it does tend to be my personal best for some reason. :ohwell:

because the first part of the stage. if DK gets knocked off the right side he is very easy to edgeguard him. you can get spiked easily with no ledge. always ban it against pit!

japes is my best. then norfair

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I don't mind frigate that much. It's awesome for platform camping and it's only 1/4 ledges that can't be grabbed.

D0N

Smash Ace
I hate frigate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTx_knm83g

But seriously, its not all that bad. You just have to be careful. On the side with the ungrabable ledge, you can cargo d-throw some off the stage and punish their recovery if the character's double jump isn't enough for them and the platform is high.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
lol frigate hates you. I like the way you used the lowering platform to avoid his blaster spam at the very beginning.

The second part of frigate is amazing for platform camping. We can basically hide underneath the platform by ducking and our down b wrecks there.

Fungi127

Smash Rookie
Before I leave, I've got another question.

I can't seem to figure out the deal with Mario's cape and DK's upb. I press left, and I go right, so I press right and.... I go right. :ohwell: My brother and I tried to do some stuff with it, but he's not all that great or motivated to help me. What do I do to survive the cape?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
iirc, the cape completey reverses your momentum, not the direction you input.

so DK gets caped, gg for your stock

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hover in place and punish the ending lag. If he's jumping toward you offstage, his only option is that cape.

ook

Smash Lord
Also, don't be too afraid to recover high and just fall onto the stage if he's realy good with the cape.
Getting punished for a few % > getting gimped a stock :(

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'd also like to mention that your next best option would be to fastfall as low as possible, and see if you can get to the ledge before Mario. He can't cape you if you're under him.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I'd also like to mention that your next best option would be to fastfall as low as possible, and see if you can get to the ledge before Mario. He can't cape you if you're under him.
Yes, just remember to save your double jump and that way you can avoid the threat of the cape altogether. Often, Mario may grab the edge and try to cape you from there, but if you up-air during your double jump it may pressure him to get away from the edge.

Also, if your double jump wasn't enough and you need that extra height to get to the edge, it is safest to up-b from that position- directly under the edge going straight up with no DI in either direction. This way even if you are caped, you will go straight up and probably end up hitting him away =)

Smoom77

Smash Master
I looked the DK guide, but I couldn't find any frame data. I only need one thing. How many start-up frames does his airdodge have? I would really appreciate if you could VM me instead of posting here because I'm doing a mass search of airdodge data.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
For the Cape, I always save my second jump after I get knocked off-stage. DI towards the stage and when Mario comes in to try to gimp you, use your jump to stagger the timing between you two, then use upB. The startup time on the cape is too long for him to gimp you then.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you read the cape just b reverse a punch away from him. That way you fly back towards the stage punching at him.

lol idk if that works or not but it sounds rude as hell.

crifer

Smash Lord
or just use side B to look back while recovering, and use fair, so that your fair will be turned around and spike him xD

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
if mario capes you during the invicibility frames of DK's upb, does it still reverse the momentum, or do the invisiframes annul the momentum shift?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
But if you don't interrupt his cape during your invincibility you'd still be reversed if the hitbox is still lingering as you return to your mortal state.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
What are some general tips against ROB? For some reason I just cannot win against them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
walk and PS. stay at f-tilt length. d-smash OOS

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Match up #1:

DK vs. Pikachu:

My problem: Can't figure out how to space properly against the mouse, my down titls don't seem to be connecting against it. My forward tilts get predicted easily. My running shield grabs also are well-known.

DK vs. Metaknight:

Same problem I have above:

Overall: The opponent I play against mixes up his ground game with an aerial game. He also spaces properly in my opinion.

Any suggestions?

Demp

Smash Journeyman
walk and PS. stay at f-tilt length. d-smash OOS
Thanks, sounds like a good approach, and I guess I should also be spacing down B's in case I know he wants to DSmash. But I just find it difficult sometimes because the gyro on the ground is a real pain in the *** since it seems impossible to pick up. And when you do jump over it you just get laser'd.

Watch out for nair and don't walk into fsmash and you'll live forever.
I know that, but when you get hit into the air ROB has a much easier time keeping you in the air than other characters, and he has an easy time getting DK in the air too because his spammable DSmash. Also, FSmash should only kill DK when DK is at REAL high percent's or when DK is on the ledge. It doesn't have too much power so I see it not too bad to use our momentum canceler when it does connect.

Sounds like I need to stop playing aggressive and turn it into a spacing game. =\

Thanks for the help.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
i've only recently picked up DK as a secondary to none other than ROB ._.

any pointers i need for DK? i know of the walking and shielding / tilting type approaches, and bair approaches and whatnot. i haven't really tried the cargo spiking, on that note is it somewhat useful to incorporate into my game? other than to use up-B more while im grounded for the invincibility frames i cant think of anything.

if im wrong, put down a list for me and i'll work on it :D

daisho

Smash Lord
i've only recently picked up DK as a secondary to none other than ROB ._.

any pointers i need for DK? i know of the walking and shielding / tilting type approaches, and bair approaches and whatnot. i haven't really tried the cargo spiking, on that note is it somewhat useful to incorporate into my game? other than to use up-B more while im grounded for the invincibility frames i cant think of anything.

if im wrong, put down a list for me and i'll work on it :D
On up B they are SA frames. That is a good approach, just run up and Up B.

Down B can also be a decent approach.

Cargo spiking is somewhat useful and doesn't take much practice.

Short hop double bair is good to know, don't abuse it though.

In a short hop if you bair once and they are holding their shield then you should side B and it might break it.

If you can, record a video and put it up so we can critique it.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
By the way, for ROB, the only way he's going to kill you below 140% is with a glide toss > Fsmash or with the <<top part> of nair. Don't come down from above him, try to stay beside him at all times because the top part will kill you a lot earlier than the sides.

Anyways, a good ROB won't spam Dsmash. One thing that's annoying is if ROB spot dodges to dsmash when you ftilt him and it hits you because of your stupid *** hurtbox. If they are dumb enough to do this, short hop a headbutt right on him. Just long enough to beat his spotdodge and it will plant him if he Dsmashes.

For some DK tips: Grab a lot. Shieldgrab approach is useful. Some good DKs to watch are ripple, ook and bum.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
i've watched quite a few ripple matches vs legan and whatnot. watched one of bum's videos versing pierce7d, i'll watch a couple of ook's in a sec.

im getting most of what i need to know when playing DK from these vids.

Top Bottom