• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Elaborate. Are you saying that after we buffer a dash a tiny bit we can pivot around and punish with an SA punch? Or are you saying we can do a reverse neutral B along with being able to buffer dash away?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Elaborate. Are you saying that after we buffer a dash a tiny bit we can pivot around and punish with an SA punch? Or are you saying we can do a reverse neutral B along with being able to buffer dash away?
buffer dash, then use pivot sa punch

you must use both

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Buffering alows them all to happen on 1 frame, which is all the time we get. Dashing away and pivoting a punch get's DK just far enough away to be missed by the regrab.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
The only thing I can't seem to get down is the GFSC with DK (granted I don't spend much time trying).

First Question: How often do you guys use it/successfully get it off?

Second Question: After the footstool do you Side B the direction behind the opponent then reverse the side B during it's start up back towards them?

I feel like the Side B comes out so fast that it's really hard to input the reverse command before it actually executes. Is there a way to make that easier (B-Sticking excluded)?

roces9

Smash Rookie
Sorry for not going through the whole thread, had something on my mind and I'm off to class right now. If this has already been answered just ignore me and I'll check it tonight.

Should I be saving my utilt for anything or is it one of those moves that I should just spam, or a mix of both?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I use utilt as an all purpose move. It helps save the downsmash for kills.

But I think if it's been used more than twice out of the last 9 moves then it'll be too stale to break tornado.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I use utilt as an all purpose move. It helps save the downsmash for kills.

But I think if it's been used more than twice out of the last 9 moves then it'll be too stale to break tornado.
That may be why my U-tilt never breaks Tornado. =/

Okay a few questions:

* What moves besides F-tilt and U-tilt are good against Tornado?
* What should I do in the Sonic, Snake, Game and Watch, Samus, and ZSS match-up?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Dsmash will hit MK out of nado, as will DK's dash attack

if you can space correctly, bair will hit him out (aim for the top corners of the tornado)
if you're getting hit by the nado, i try to mash out while mashing up and a to hit him out with an uair

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
use quarter circle sdi while c sticking up repeatedly to uair mk out of the tornado. Usmash beats tornado.

Against snake just out space him with down b and keep the pressure on him. Don't let him set up camp. Cargo down throw offstage and keep him there.

ook

Smash Lord
Punch is also good against tornado :dk2:

@Micaelis: I've never seen anyone use GFSC very effectively or consistently... I dunno, there doesn't seem to be many situations where it's any better than just doing a normal headbutt.

but it goes:
Hold towards opponent, footstool, B, back, forward

you can use a button that you don't normally use (like L or R or X or Y) and set it to either jump or special to make it easier... but again, there's not much use for it. I don't think it's worth it.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Punch is also good against tornado :dk2:

@Micaelis: I've never seen anyone use GFSC very effectively or consistently... I dunno, there doesn't seem to be many situations where it's any better than just doing a normal headbutt.

but it goes:
Hold towards opponent, footstool, B, back, forward

you can use a button that you don't normally use (like L or R or X or Y) and set it to either jump or special to make it easier... but again, there's not much use for it. I don't think it's worth it.
Thanks ook. I'm not big on learning technical things (one of the reasons I like the big ape) and that particular tech skill seemed a little to inefficient for me to spend my time on but I really want to be a good DK so I was going to pull out the stops if need be. Thanks again for the response.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I don't think you can call it inefficient because it's actually extremely efficient. More like impractical. I really think if we could master it DK would become better. I need to practice it more.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I set Y to special and it's really easy with this (and I don't lose anything, because I don't use Y anyway), but to find an opening where your opponent is doing nothing but standing is not easy and not really practical. Sure, you could use it if he has a laggy ending (from an aerial or upB), but in this chase a normal headbutt would probably be the same (maybe even better, because you don't have to run as far to your opponent to footstool him...).

I have this since some months, but I could never use it in a match, because there just weren't any situations where it's better than a normal headbutt...
What I do use a lot is SH bair, retreating side B, but that has nothing to do with the GFSC...

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
My question to you all is: How the hell do you practice, or get any better, with no one to play :'(

Currently I'm using a USB verizon air card for internet, so I don't have access to playing on wifi. Moved here about 6-7 weeks ago and don't know anyone in the area, so no irl people to play.

I'd like to improve my game, though DK is my priority, with anyone really. All I can really figure out what to do until we, hopefully, get a real ISP, is practicing ATs for muscle memory. But DK doesn't even have a whole lot up that ally anyway.

Anyone got any secret techniques? Or not so secret? :p

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
go to the regional zones and see who's around you. If no one does live around you then practice your *** off at tournaments

D0N

Smash Ace
You can watch vids and look for good ideas.

^^^ You can do this ^^^

You can read basic stuff about DI, kill percents, and other things that people overlook

^^^ And you can read THIS ^^^

For some reason my address bar won't show the full address, I think its these school computers. Just click the blue arrows in the quotes for links, they are not the actual quote lol. Personally, I only watch vids occasionally if there is no one to play. Then ill go to a tourney with no practice and either do well or completely suck... What you're willing to do just depends on how dedicated you are at the time.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
sorta new to dk, but could you guys give me any tips in the marth and Game and Watch match ups? oh and if you guys could tell me some effective ways of getting back on the stage from the ledge that would be legit.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
hey are that girl that affinity gave a ride to after No Koast?

anyways, against marth you'll want to space as best as possible and l2 SDI his side b. always anticipate which way he'll throw you to avoid up-smash.

against G&W you'll want to always tech his down throw and always SDI his bair. if you do it right then you can bair him every time he uses bair, lol.

oh and always nair his up-air because it'll refresh your other moves even though it doesn't hit anything

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman

anyways, against marth you'll want to space as best as possible and l2 SDI his side b. always anticipate which way he'll throw you to avoid up-smash.

against G&W you'll want to always tech his down throw and always SDI his bair. if you do it right then you can bair him every time he uses bair, lol.

oh and always nair his up-air because it'll refresh your other moves even though it doesn't hit anything
oh **** didnt know that one, good read ^^.

My question to you all is: How the hell do you practice, or get any better, with no one to play :'(

Currently I'm using a USB verizon air card for internet, so I don't have access to playing on wifi. Moved here about 6-7 weeks ago and don't know anyone in the area, so no irl people to play.

I'd like to improve my game, though DK is my priority, with anyone really. All I can really figure out what to do until we, hopefully, get a real ISP, is practicing ATs for muscle memory. But DK doesn't even have a whole lot up that ally anyway.

Anyone got any secret techniques? Or not so secret? :p
well one thing you might want to consider is playing lvl 9 computers and finding out which moves you have beat other characters moves. its good for you to know what character you are up against and know what moves have more/less priority than theirs.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for the links and such, didn't expect anything like that to come out of me asking. Wish I could go to tournaments, but that might be a little bit aways. Just trying to find something to do until I can :)

Did you mean 'are you that'? I assume you were referring to Aqua, who I don't think is a girl? (a kirby player in NE i think?)

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
yeah monkley im a kirby main in NE, picked up dk for some of kirby's harder match ups, in tournaments i use the name bass.

another quick question, when i grab people i normaly dont know what throw to use, at low percents i normaly use Dthrow and go into Ftilt, but at mid percents what would be the best throw to use?

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Cargo down throw is a killer, but if they are too low they can get out of it.
A combo that i like doing is

grab->cargo->jump->forward throw->jump-> fair

Also if near the edge it can work as spike sometimes.

crifer

Smash Lord
What I asked myself is:

Does the hits of upB count as seperated hits and refresh your moves? I don´t think so, or??

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it only counts as one move. It would be super broken if it refreshed on each hit.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
So then, the for the last strike of his forward b the green muti hit one, would all count as one, since you push b once for that. Cause if each of the green multi hit refreshes that would be retarted.

Top Bottom