• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
practice makes perfect.

I used to think this AT was useless and didn't bother learning the timing until last november
Oh, haha. I guess I got a lot to start practicing, haha. Thanks for the input.

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
for hugging, do it on a slow speed, note how you must turn the control stick in a bit more than a quarter circle backwards. get comfortable at a slow speed hugging 100% of the time, increase speed. just like learning a song on a instrument correctly. this is what i did and now it is reflex to me.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
for hugging, do it on a slow speed, note how you must turn the control stick in a bit more than a quarter circle backwards. get comfortable at a slow speed hugging 100% of the time, increase speed. just like learning a song on a instrument correctly. this is what i did and now it is reflex to me.
What exactly do you mean by slow speed, like go into training mode and make it like 1/4th and that or do like a jogging speed in brawl and than once i get that done than try doing it at running speed.

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
yes training mode in slow motion is most effective it allows you to analyze the basic motions and correct any flaws in it

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Basically just make sure you input the entire half circle. It is kind of weird. For a while my problem was I didn't press down well enough.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
On Yoshi's the easiest way to do it is to up b while you are touching the slope.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Yeah there was something that helped me like, when it looks like your feet are touching the ground up b or something I forget it now. That helped me a lot with the glitch. Just practice it and you'll get it eventually.

Also this is the first time I've ever seen a DK thread featured (as in shown for the last thread with activity) on the home page under character discussions O_o;

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
So I don't Up-B until I'm on the stage?

Lawl. I've been doing it wrong.
No, you do it off, but barely. You have to land on the stage during the frames 4-6 in order to have invincibility frames.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
What is the easiest way to land a sweetspotted 9-wind?

I've been tinkering with it for the past couple of days to find a perfect timing for it and relative location as to where you should be in comparison to your opponent when passing through the specific frames, but every time I think I find it it's almost like it changes location. :(

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What is the easiest way to land a sweetspotted 9-wind?

I've been tinkering with it for the past couple of days to find a perfect timing for it and relative location as to where you should be in comparison to your opponent when passing through the specific frames, but every time I think I find it it's almost like it changes location. :(
landing with a 9-wind rather than an air dodge.

or just land without bairing and space it just right so you don't get grabbed and pivot a punch.

NatP

Smash Ace
I have a question. What are all the grab releases that DK has on Wario? I know about the grab release to upsmash, but that's it.

D0N

Smash Ace
I have a question. What are all the grab releases that DK has on Wario? I know about the grab release to upsmash, but that's it.
Taken from bigfoot's writeup in the match-up thread::

You have the advantage of guaranteeing you punch out of a grab release for a free 30-25% (or death after about 70%), as well as your fsmash (free 20%), Usmash (death after 86%), and dsmash (death around 110 or so).

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I don't think DK's grab is high enough to reach Wario before he can jump away. Doing infinite grab releases wouldn't work until like 50-70% if they can mash pretty fast (he would ground break due to your pummel).

D0N

Smash Ace
So im about to go to a tourney where pirate ship and pictochat are legal. Anything good about DK (Other than throwing people into pictochat hazards) in these stages? You can do the up-b glitch on both sides of pictochat right? I dont know much of anything about pirateship...

daisho

Smash Lord
Pictochat is by far my favorite stage in all super smash bros games. You can do tilt locks and up b glitch but its just so much fun.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
So im about to go to a tourney where pirate ship and pictochat are legal. Anything good about DK (Other than throwing people into pictochat hazards) in these stages? You can do the up-b glitch on both sides of pictochat right? I dont know much of anything about pirateship...
Yes. And at Pirate Ship you have water camping and dair/fair spikes. I'm also pretty sure we have cargo stage spikes on the left side of the ship? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and possibly the up-b trick while in the water, although I don't think it's been proven yet if it's at all effective. Might be worth testing during friendlies?

D0N

Smash Ace
Pictochats your favorite? I use to like it but I haven't played it in so long everything seems wierd to me. Any particular stage hazards I should look out for that give me an advantage/disadvantage?

And speaking of water spikes, I b-aired someone out of the water for a KO once. They didn't expect it and they DI'd wrong lol. I'll keep the up-b thing in mind and test it if I get a chance. Do the cannon balls on pirate ship knock you sideways or upwards? I have no idea how to DI them and no way to test at the moment...

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I don't think the up b trick in water matters at all except on japes. In japes it prevents the current from killing you and can be used to move around in a way that no one else can. In other stages with water there is no real reason to use the trick since the water isn't dangerous. You could use it to quickly escape in some situations I guess but not much more than that.

D0N

Smash Ace
The up-b thing on Japes is effective for sure, I do that all the time. I was thinking more about quickly escaping/avoiding spikes.

daisho

Smash Lord
I guess id reccomend playing it a bunch before the tournament if you are going to think of cping it. Just note that the fire barely does any damage but you can get stuck, the bombs can kill you and do a ton of damage, when the stakes come out you are better off not moving since if you jump over them you probably will get hit. Also the car has alot of knockback.

I just have fun on it, if it was legal i would CP it all the time. Also im pretty sure it has huge blastzones so you should live for a long time.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Do the cannon balls on pirate ship knock you sideways or upwards? I have no idea how to DI them and no way to test at the moment...
After a bit of testing (not much though, as I will admit that I was getting impatient waiting for that **** cannon to appear -_- ), I'm pretty sure that the cannonball launches you in a more horizontal direction. That's how it launched me each time I got hit with it at least, and I intentionally wouldn't DI before the hit. Also, the top platform of the crow's nest is a safe zone. I'm looking for others, but I can't seem to find any atm. :(

D0N

Smash Ace
lol thanks Barrage I appreciate your testing/patience. And thanks for the notes Diasho.

daisho

Smash Lord
So that's what you would do to plank against a Falco, for example?
Well, DKs planking is efficient but not so much. There is alot of frames where he can get hit. You have to change the timing if you want it to continuously be effective. But basically a falco can either attempt to spike or bair stage spike.

DK is not so good at planking and especially if there is a ledge grab limit it is not advised.

(I do it when the opponent is waiting at the ledge with his shield up or sometimes when im frustrated with diddy's nanners i wait until they disappear.

But that is just me, some people may do it to frustrate falco, bait a move such as bair and then gimp his recovery (which once he loses his second and is below the stage is easy).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I need some tips on DK's lag less down B i always seem to land to high when I try to ledge drop it. Also when ledgestall with DK do I drop and up b or do I double jump before hand.

daisho

Smash Lord
I need some tips on DK's lag less down B i always seem to land to high when I try to ledge drop it. Also when ledgestall with DK do I drop and up b or do I double jump before hand.
Both work but you can just press back and then up b and it should work every time.

Im not sure what you mean by the first question.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Both work but you can just press back and then up b and it should work every time.

Im not sure what you mean by the first question.
Like if I press down double Jump Up B will go a this weird angle and won't land on stage lagless with my Up B.

Veggi

Smash Champion
It's sort of hard to understand what you're getting at. I think you mean when DK drops off the edge (by pressing back) and then lands on the stage from that. What you have to do is hold diagnal down torwards the stage so that DK doesn't grab the edge, but he moves on to the stage.

Top Bottom