• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Need help with a match up (which you can also use the match up discussion for), have a random question you need answered, wonder what something means? Just post a question here and we'll try to answer it for you.

Rules:
~ No Spamming
~ No Flaming
~ Please try leave posts that have to do with the topic, a question you have, or an answer to another persons question
~ Try not to ask questions which have already been asked

Please try to follow the rules. Hopefully, this will be successful, and most people will use this to their benefit. Also, it'll clean up the boards of some questions people ask pretty frequently.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

Q:
What is Sakurai combo?

A:
Headbutt (Side-B) then Punch (B)
(Alternatively your opponent trips into your punch)

A:
When you charge the punch, watch DK spin his arm. After 9 rotations, you have a 9 wind punch. (So cancel the charge if you want a 9 wind)

It also has more knockback then the charged punch, but it has no Super Armour (SA) frames. It also doesn't have the steam and you have to press B twice quickly to use it after you cancel the charge.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
WTF Marth users keep making these threads I was about to make one ugggggggg.
lol, sorry Mithx :(, I'm just one of those Marth users who make threads for other boards, except I'm one of them that actually view the board and watch the thread I made.

Mith_

Smash Champion
rofl its cool man. ill be here answering questions if we get any. DK isn't as technical as Falco is so it'll be pretty easy lol.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the best time to use head butt is when they predict and try to react to one of your bairs, they'll either hold their shield to block it, and probably get shield broken, or they'll try to hit you oos and get headbutted (unless they are marth or bowser)

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
the best time to use head butt is when they predict and try to react to one of your bairs, they'll either hold their shield to block it, and probably get shield broken, or they'll try to hit you oos and get headbutted (unless they are marth or bowser)
Yeah, I see. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Bump :psycho:

Tujex

Smash Ace
When exactly are the SA frames on the Africa Punch? I seem to be missing it a lot and getting punished for it, so at what point during the punch exactly are his SA frames?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
When exactly are the SA frames on the Africa Punch? I seem to be missing it a lot and getting punished for it, so at what point during the punch exactly are his SA frames?
Check the Frame Data thread that is stickied:

Big O said:
B 18, 19-22 or 25, 26-29/45 or 59...(Super Armor on frames 17-20 for fully charged. The first set of numbers are for fully charged punches and the second set of numbers are for uncharged punches done as quickly as possible. The first number in each set is for the special hit behind DK)
So, essentially, the SA frames only apply when the punch is fully charged, and only applies immediately before the punch goes off. Your best bet is to try to time it such that their attack hits you the same time that your attack hits them.

Xcluzive

Smash Rookie
When I play DK I seem to use the running attack alot. and I know its punishable, and thats how I lose most of my stocks. I try to avoid doing the RA by using a sliding UpB, and an aerial.

But are there any other options?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Don't run. You generally have less options when running than when you are walking. Walking is very underestimated IMO.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
LOL timed to start walking. or set up a wall of bairs.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Walking is hard to do lol.
I dunno I just try to work around what my opponent does. I try to be reactive and proactive at the same time which is ******** but w/e.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
When I play DK I seem to use the running attack alot. and I know its punishable, and thats how I lose most of my stocks. I try to avoid doing the RA by using a sliding UpB, and an aerial.

But are there any other options?
you've also got the downb, you can RAR out of a run, you can pivot to stop your momentum pivot again and use a tilt, or you can shield grab.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Why is this board so dead?
I really don't know.

To who ever was asking about what else can I do besides Dash Attack, if you want to approach, I usually walk or SH. SH opens up a couple of options for DK.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why is this board so dead?

people aren't posting VIDEOS!!!!

or anything else for that matter.

which reminds me. new combo video coming out soon! but another type of video first

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
people aren't posting VIDEOS!!!!

or anything else for that matter.

which reminds me. new combo video coming out soon! but another type of video first
Awesome can't wait.

If I had a way to record and upload videos I would be doing it a lot. I play my friend almost every day and we always have epic matches.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Awesome can't wait.

If I had a way to record and upload videos I would be doing it a lot. I play my friend almost every day and we always have epic matches.
send them to me and I'll upload them for you, just add my wii# and FC

Poret

Smash Rookie
Not DK related per say but what is the best way to practice if you don't have any (good) human opponents around?

ook

Smash Lord
Play online (through a site like this, or allisbrawl, or gamebattles, not "with anyone") lol

A lot of people will tell you that online sucks and doesn't mean anything, but don't listen to them :p

And, go to the regional board and see if there's any tourneys or smashfests or anything coming up, and go to those

Mith_

Smash Champion
Not DK related per say but what is the best way to practice if you don't have any (good) human opponents around?
You can also practice spacing in training mode and against lvl 1 cpus, but don't think that will help you get better against real people. It just helps you build muscle memory.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Make sure you know how to land lagless upB, working on the gfsc is always good if you are bored.

Learning tricks on counterpick stages is good, refer to the stage threads for ideas.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
It saddens me that this thread isn't more active so I guess I'll bump it with a quick question.

If I get a headbutt in at too low of a percent to follow with a kill, what is the best option out of it for racking damage? I usually do the grounded upB because it does a lot if all the hits connect, but they usually break out before that. What is a better option?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
down b will do i think about 25% if they're buried at low percents because both slaps will hit them

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
@joe:
Maybe a SHDair? Something a bit laggy but with decent damage, and if done right you won't have to deal with landing lag and maybe can follow up with a Bair/Nair -->other stuff.

EDIT: DBong, I tested it and its waaaay too easy for them to get out earlier than that at meaningful %s. After a certain point even down+B breaks them out of the ground, and before that they get out too soon.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
i would say down b and try to follow up with a nair as they fly up out of it or uair since most likely they end up above you.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Bump, just incase anyone has any questions not worth making a topic about. Hopefully this can get to more use now.

Top Bottom