• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Even at low % usmash would probably be superior just for damage purposes. I could see uair being useful if there is a platform above you because he could just land and shield the usmash.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Used to be one. About every 3 months or so someone comes in here claiming there going to "revive" the DK boards. We get alot of new threads that are meant to be updated weekly, then they stop after about the fifth week. Your welcome to try again though, never hurts to try.

I was actually just experimenting with some different stages myself recently so I would like to have one again if we could keep it up.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
He certainly has a lot of good options on a lot of stages. Japes, Brinstar, and Yoshi's(Brawl) are still my favorites though. And Onett and Green Greens if they where legal. Too bad I guess.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me how exactly to cargo release on Lucas and Ness. I don't get it. A video would be great.
Also, what's some other cool stuff with cargo release?

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Is there any video of this I can watch?
I haven't really played any other impressive fellow DKs so does anybody want to play me sometime so I can learn some stuff?

SASSY

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if someone could give me a general mindset for playing DK. Like for example, I am a Zero Suit main, and If I were asked what mindset to take on when playing her, I'd say...
-always know your opponents %
-get them in the air
-always mix up your recovery
-don't grab unless you KNOW it will land

I just want to make DK my #2 and I guess he currently is, but I'm not confident enough in my DK yet. I just want an idea of what should be on my mind as DK.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
To add to veggi

-be aware of your opponents %, you do not have to know of it all the time
-if they are in the air bair them
-if they are on the ground, space with forward tilt, down tilt, down b, and rush with up b
-Your recovery is linear and predictable. while recovering towards the stage if you have time forward b away from the stage so your back is to your opponent, and if they try to gimp you bair them then up b to ledge
-Shield grab is your friend, abuse it and throw them away
-If cargo stage spike is available you can try it, but be aware of tech to footstool to death
-Even though veggi said it, it is worth two mentions SUPER ARMOR! on upb and african punch.

SASSY

Smash Journeyman
Ahh thanks guys, that helps a lot. I'm gonna have a smashfest here in a few hours. We'll have a livestream if anyone is bored and wants to give tips lol.
Of course I'll be using my zero suit too. ;D

Icyo

Smash Ace
Is tossing someone under the lips on PS1 an guaranteed stage spike for most characters?

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
So , does DK actually have a chaingrab on zss?
I haven't tested it frame by frame or anything, but I believe that at 0% DK can running d-throw chain grab ZSS. I believe it is only 3-4 times max, and you have to buffer the dash correctly so that you start the run as soon as possible.

I believe it's a dash grab chain grab only, but I haven't tried running shield grab because dash grab is simply less inputs and easier to pull off. lol

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
God i hate dashgrab, can't believe it's potentially good for something. Can you ftilt at the end of it?

RATED

Smash Lord
I have a question : there's any good video of a DK against a Marth? preferably a good dk against a good marth and if it could be from 2 months or less uploaded.

D0N

Smash Ace
I have a question : there's any good video of a DK against a Marth? preferably a good dk against a good marth and if it could be from 2 months or less uploaded.
If you look in the video thread and click my name/look in my sig there is me vs Shaya. It was in Australia about, but when Shaya came to the US for Genises he made it out of pools and won a match in bracket (forgot the placing... 60 something?). In short, were not that bad. It may be a little over 2 months old though... i think late sept. 2009

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I am thinking of making a thread for DI'ing with DK. Sure there is the obvious DI to survive with bair->fastfall. But I was also plan to incorporate SDI, TDI, and IDI to get out of certain attacks. So basically it will be a complete list of all the attacks that we can get out of by using one of the three DI techniques. What do you guys think about it? Make it?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
please do. i feel like i'm good at survival DI, but my SDI to get out of multi hit attacks is severly lacking.

also, isn't SDI and TDI the same thing? and what the hell is IDI?

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
SDI=Smash DI
Where you hit the C-stick repeatedly to move in that direction
TDI=Tap DI
Where you hit the control stick repeatedly to move in that direction
IDI=Influential DI
Where you just hold the control stick to get sent a certain way. (Like you do in survival DI)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I was confused at first but then I saw that you just named things differently than how I've always known them.

Jon K

Smash Rookie
How does one do the invincibility frame glitch off the ledge in yoshi's island?

Tujex

Smash Ace
Drop off the edge, then jump and UpB onto the stage. Make sure your holding up, so you don't regrab the ledge.

The trick is to start an aerial UpB, and have it transfer to a grounded upB within I think it's the 1st 2-4 frames (however long the invincibility lasts on an Aerial UpB). If my explanation sucks, I'm sure someone else could explain it better.

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
My doubles partner is a Donkey Kong, and I play Olimar. This will be the first time I'm teaming with him.

What should I look out for when playing as the Olimar in this team? Or even when teaming with a DK in general?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
don't get pikmin latched onto your teammate. watch out for DK's attacks, dont get hit by friendly fire, because it may cost you a stock. use your grabs to help setup kills for DK... you wont be getting most of the kills in the match. have your partner look out for you when you're offstage, because DK has a pretty beast offstage game. use the hitstun from yellow pikmins to your advantage and have them also help setup kills for your partner.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If olimar does an up throw and dk up smashes them while you lift them up before they get slammed they'll take the knockback from the upsmash and then the upthrow adds knockback as they're flying away. You can get kills stupid early that way.

Top Bottom