• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
I agree that MK is DK hardest MU after DDD

I think olimar is harder than falco, but that´s just me probably...

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
DDD with infinite legal.

Otherwise I say Toon Link :urg:. FD is probably worst stage overall, but I have a grudge with Frigate.

edit: Falco and Olimar really arn't that hard. Especially not Olimar.

Neon!

Smash Lord
DDD with infinite legal.

Otherwise I say Toon Link :urg:. FD is probably worst stage overall, but I have a grudge with Frigate.

edit: Falco and Olimar really arn't that hard. Especially not Olimar.
Tl is super frustrating but he's still easier to approach than falco or olimar.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Maybe it's just because I live in the land of Olimars, but I really don't have a problem with approaching him. The real problem is landing =x.

And for Falco, playing gay is just so much more effective vs him that approaching is simplified to a moronic level. Just charge giant punches and throw them anytime you're uncomfortable.

Toon Link is just like... ugh what can you do. I'm pretty sure the match-up is just looking for super-armor or waiting him to make a mistake. We shouldn't have to rely on super armor or their mistakes to approach. Maybe it's just me, or maybe I just get frustrated too easily, I don't know.

I have mixed feelings about the MK match-up.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Tl and falco are sort of similar i guess, they both can't kill meaning we live to ridiculously high percents.

The hard part about falco's camping is guessing when or if he will side-b to escape.
Falco's should spend most of the time near the ground while TL will be jumping around a lot which leaves them open for our bair.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
yeah, TL will be full hopping and dj'ing a lot, but you still can approach em that easy, cause they will most likely always have a bomb on them when the jump or will get one

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Probably what Cable said: Meta Knight as the hardest for DK, then Falco or Olimar.
Assuming the Meta Knight is really good, or just a ton better than you.

Tl and falco are sort of similar i guess, they both can't kill meaning we live to ridiculously high percents.

The hard part about falco's camping is guessing when or if he will side-b to escape.
Falco's should spend most of the time near the ground while TL will be jumping around a lot which leaves them open for our bair.
If you think Falco will try to side-b away, use up-b or just shield...

What is the match up between donkey kong and falco?
I'd like to say 35:65 Falco.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Probably what Cable said: Meta Knight as the hardest for DK, then Falco or Olimar.
Assuming the Meta Knight is really good, or just a ton better than you.

If you think Falco will try to side-b away, use up-b or just shield...

I'd like to say 35:65 Falco.
That matchup just made my day lol

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Seems legit. But good luck luring a competent Falco up there lol.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I've been really getting punished for landing lately, any suggestions for good mix ups when landing?
Well, if you're afraid of getting shieldgrabbed then use Bair followed by your second jump > Side-B (aerial). This works pretty well on shields. Using ROFLCOPTER as an escape to the edge slightly before landing might also work out.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Don't always land with a B-air, you'll fool some people just by doing nothing. Land with a 1-wind punch. Use a side-b to hit them (especially effective on tether grabbers + Olimar).

Alternatively, stop being in the air so much, the ground is good!

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
yeah, doing up b works great if there are platforms around to land on, side b, for grounding if they went for a grab, or possible shield break. also saving a dj can work too

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
If you side-b their shield in the air, DKopter will provide a good followup if they don't grab, it will punsih spot dodge as well as shielding and with SA in the beginning, also punish an attack. It works fairly well for me. Doing nothing works well too especially if your back is to the opponent.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
Any advice on keeping the giant punch less predicatable? Also what are good ways to get back on the stage from the ledge against lucario?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Learn all the possible tricks you can with it. There's a lot of good options you can do with it that mostly get ignored. Just play around with it a lot. Do it out of a run, platform drop giant punch, short hop it vs an opponent on a platform, just straight run off a platform and do it. Do it while just standing still. Do it mid-combo, something like b-air > giant punch, even if you only get the shoulder punch. Good examples of me doing this in the replays I recently linked in the CCV thread. Also, just hold it. If you keep it for long enough, they'll let their guard down.

Ledge hop giant punch is always an easy way to get back on stage, if you're willing to lose the charge. Other than that, you really have to use the stage. If you're on smashville, wait for the platform to come by and ledgejump onto that. Stuff like that. Otherwise, just be patient and wait for him to do something stupid. Don't forget about your normal get-up. It's not likely to work, but it's a lot safer than throwing a bad ledge attack.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I lub dk iand all but I gave up on him since I suck fighting the spammers who throw **** and camp 24/7

crifer

Smash Lord
Question:
The time someone is grabbed is limited by time and the inputs the player who is grabbed does.
If DK grabs a character, does the time resets after initializing the cargo (fthrow)?
So for example, we grab someone and pummel him. We have 3 seconds before he breaks out. After 2 seconds we intialize the cargo. How much time does the character who is grabbed need to break out? 1 second or 3 seconds again?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Question:
The time someone is grabbed is limited by time and the inputs the player who is grabbed does.
If DK grabs a character, does the time resets after initializing the cargo (fthrow)?
So for example, we grab someone and pummel him. We have 3 seconds before he breaks out. After 2 seconds we intialize the cargo. How much time does the character who is grabbed need to break out? 1 second or 3 seconds again?
The cargo hold has it's own grabtimer.
If you have the feeling they're getting out of it too fast it might be because they are already mashing because of the normal grab.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
how do you do the 0-death on ness and lucas?
Grab them > Cargo them (Forward throw without throwing them) > turn around once while holding them > they release (behind or in front if you, it doesnt matter. You should have enough time to react)) > re-grab > repeat. D-smash them immediately when they break out (at about 100% or so) . It is a guaranteed kill.
The reason you should turn around is to ensure that they dont DI too far away from you.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Donkey Kong boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
My friend plays an ok matchup, and the camping can be quite a problem, though not nearly as bad as some other MUs in regard to camping. If ROB plays keep away the whole time he'll do better off, DK up close is pretty deadly and with his range and killing power getting in just a little is good for him. He'll do worse on a stage without platforms.

This is from my experience and could very well be completely wrong.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Hello Donkey Kong boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!
I actually think R.O.B. beats DK. It's not about the camping, so much as it is how ridiculously good R.O.B. is at keeping us in the air, maybe the best character in the game at it. His n-air is outrageously annoying, I don't think we have any good way to beat it other than super armor. Versus a lot of characters, we enjoy being able to DI offstage to get away from juggles and traps, but R.O.B. is just as comfortable f-airing us a billion times off stage. There's really just no good way to get R.O.B. off of us, even an aerial up-b that hits will still give him time to come back and keep hitting us at most percents, and enough time to laser us for it at the very least no matter what.

DK on the other hand beats R.O.B. when playing grounded vs. grounded. Our movement speed and slightly superior range, along with the immediate threat of a b-air, gives us a slight edge while we approach. R.O.B. is also one of the easiest characters to do gimmicky combos and tricks on, so he gets punished very badly when he does mess up.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Forget this I clearly can't read. My question was answered 5 posts ago.

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
I actually think R.O.B. beats DK. It's not about the camping, so much as it is how ridiculously good R.O.B. is at keeping us in the air, maybe the best character in the game at it. His n-air is outrageously annoying, I don't think we have any good way to beat it other than super armor. Versus a lot of characters, we enjoy being able to DI offstage to get away from juggles and traps, but R.O.B. is just as comfortable f-airing us a billion times off stage. There's really just no good way to get R.O.B. off of us, even an aerial up-b that hits will still give him time to come back and keep hitting us at most percents, and enough time to laser us for it at the very least no matter what.

DK on the other hand beats R.O.B. when playing grounded vs. grounded. Our movement speed and slightly superior range, along with the immediate threat of a b-air, gives us a slight edge while we approach. R.O.B. is also one of the easiest characters to do gimmicky combos and tricks on, so he gets punished very badly when he does mess up.

I think other wise, R.O.B doesnt beat DK, i find it more of an even-ish MU, maybe it might go to DKs favor.

You say ROB is incredibly good at keeping us in the air, true, but were also very good at keeping him in the air, since hes a huge character and he has few options when falling, reading his dodges is easy and can get you easy % on him. "What if he falls with Nair" Oh common Nair is a certainly annoying attack but seriously... you only need to shield it once to punish how ever you like, the problem is that you probably rush to much towards ROB and eventually you always get Nair'd, you got to be patient with ROB airborne, simple as that, shielding to Dsmash, Uair, Ftilt, Jab... Nair is very punishable, i actually like it when they spam Nair, they reward me with easy %.

Fair is annoying off stage, but here i state the same: be patient, keep your Double jump, if he misses a Fair you will surely punish him.... and he cant break our UpB with Fair once in the start, so if you know hes gonna Fair you, just UpB right away, he will get a surely 25%+ since hes huge.. he might come back at us and attack again, but i mean, just repeat i highly doubt a couple of Fairs will rank us more damage than any of our attacks..

Your second paragraph saves me time :), what you said there is 100% true.

Also if he ever Gyros you, grab it and keep throwing it UP when ever you can, this leave rob with 1 proyectile, the laser... which is an annoying *****, but its nothing to die from, ROBs barely laser me, you just have to be aware and dont rush in...

Space your Bairs, and dont land infront of him, Edge guarding ROB is awesome, hes so huge and he cant Airdodge while he UpBs, attack him! no mercy, dont care if we trade hits, eventually he will have to recover high and we shall punish!!

I recommend small stages, vs ROB, gives him less chance to Run and spam.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I like Castle Siege against R.O.B. first part we dominate we get in easy cause there is like no where to go, second part can shut down his camp cause of statues, third part is R.O.B. advantage but just be patient and play safe till stage changes.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
You can't punish ROB's n-air if he lands with it. It autocancels, and our shield grab is too slow.

However, I did play this match-up a lot this weekend, and I have to say that our shenanigans weighs a lot more heavily into this than I said at first. It is evenish, probably ROB's favor overall though. I think the most important thing to remember is to space our tilts and down-b really well, and to abuse his shield.

All our tilts are godsends here, d-tilt can lead to down-b which puts him right where we need him, and u-tilt pops him up too, use these two as much as possible. F-tilt's best use is to stuff him if he's trying to f-air or starting up a n-air and you see it. F-tilt also ends up being pretty fresh in this match-up, so it can actually act as a good kill move, especially if you catch them trying to do something like n-air off the ledge.

His shield and size is almost as bad as ours. U-smash can shield poke it extremely well and lead to hilariously early kills. Up-b is very easy to just throw out and watch it hit here. We can edge guard moderately well here, mix in a lot of aerial up-b instead of b-air to beat his amazing f-air, and it does a lot of damage too. We're not going to gimp him offstage, go for the damage! You'll only get lasered if punished at all.

I like anywhere with a lot of platforms for this match-up. As I mentioned, up-b is very effective here, it's always nice to have places to land. Yoshi's is really good because the one big slanted platform is so easy to lagless on from anywhere, and the usual benefits of Yoshi's still applies. CS sounds good, Brinstar is an obvious choice, and Lylat is actually a great option as well if you prefer to recover high.

edit: Here's a simple question. How do we deal with Diddy Kong's side-b? I just don't understand it and it does so much damage.

Top Bottom