• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

crifer

Smash Lord
Diddy´s sideB is stupid good.
I just run away or try to airdodge through it and punish with dsmash... or throw out a fully charged punch :-)

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
It's so frustrating, because I was reading the side-b all day but I can't find anything to beat it with. Jab, our own grab, f-tilt, and u-tilt all got me hit. Hell I think my f-smash even got kicked once.

I was suggested to try grounded up-b, but I never got the chance to test that. I'm told that Ook does pivot grabs, which makes sense I guess.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
B-air can't be used vs it on reaction unless you're a robot.

Does dash attack beat the grab too? I'm talking about the whole move in general.

Edit: I'm more or less saying if he was spaced to hit with it at the peak of his side-b or so, how do we go about beating it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Ok, thank you for your responses, I would say it's slightly R.O.B.'s favour (55:45). =)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm telling you right now that f-smash will ALWAYS lose to diddy's side-b. it has to do with how diddy's hurtbox curls up in the air just above DK's f-smash. its really annoying.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm not, it's when I'm recovering high towards the stage.
never. and I mean never, recover high.

always shoot for the ledge or a lagless landing on the main stage. from there, go to a platform

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Yoshi's is surprisingly not good against Snake. I feel like this needs to be thrown out there lol.

Halberd is probably the best stage to ban, personally I'm more comfortable there than FD. I think it's really more up to you and how you play, they're both pretty stupid.

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Halberd: The middle platform really annoys and helps his bomb games, the 2nd stage on halberd will become a spam-fest were you have the disadvantage, being forced to follow snake...

FD: Pretty neutral, but remember, if he ever starts camping, youll get a small disadvantage.

Yoshis Island: Its not a bad stage VS Snake.... its small, limits his options, middle platform can annoy with bombs and stuff, but besides that, the size of the stage helps you deal with % and KOs.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Don't ban or CP there. I'd honestly prefer Smashville as a neutral, C4s on the BF platforms are really annoying =r.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I'm definitely more comfortable on Halberd, no platforms is no fun. Also, UpB through the bottom on Halberd is sweeeet.

On an unrelated note, Opinions of DK on Brinstar? It's actually a pretty fun stage to play on as DK.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
DK's good there. A lot of characters are terrible there.

Short blast zones are really abusable by us, the curves/blobs force everyone into the air if they want to move much, the pillars and stuff draw out our hitboxes (generally a good thing for us), we have a billion places to recover to, and the platforms are spaced out really nicely for us.

I've gotten so many kills at like 60% by doing ledgedrop up-b > b-air, it's really easy. B-air in general will kill stupid early by the edges. There's so much I could say about this stage, but I'll just leave it at "we can do lots of dumb stuff here."

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK is terrible on brinstar because of MK.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I'm pretty happy vs MK there. Won't take him there but nobody takes me there as MK anymore.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
1. Hit them.

I'm actually serious about that advice. DK can't really defend himself with his shield or his dodges very well, you have to threaten them at all time to limit their options. Make them afraid of being in the air by throwing out f-tilts and being ready on b-air. If you see an opportunity for a delicious read, even if it's something as simple as you're both in the air and you want to up-b them, take it most of the time. We have the bulk to take a lot of medium risk high reward situations like throwing out punishable moves if they look like they're afraid or something.

2. Stay on the ground.

Learn to play DK on the ground before even touching his air game. B-air is not to be spammed. If you go into the air to b-air, u-air, w/e, it should be either when they're in the air, or they've done something punishable on your shield. Learn to stand still on the ground and read their options and punish things with big moves.

3. Charge giant punch.

Don't be afraid to camp a bit at the start of the match to charge your giant punch! If you're in a neutral position and far away, you might find it a good time to just start charging. If they're offstage, choose between going for some b-air/up-b damage offstage or charging your punch. But really, you want to have giant punches and you want to throw giant punches.

DK in 3 steps imo.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
If you're being camped as DK
Are you supposed to go crazy aggro?

Srsly I don't understand any other way around it. For most characters I can kinda see how the camping is dampened by DK's mad-survival skillz, but what about fox in particular?

Not going aggro takes you ever closer to that magic number (~130% for usmash), aggro gets you (or me, should I say?) combo'd with all those gay crazy shenanigans, and wasting shield leads to an inevitable shield-poke dair or nair or usmash (or pretty much anything I wont lie).

Is aggro the way forward, and am I complaining about nothing other than being out-played, or is there a better mentality?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I wouldn't say crazy aggro but you always want to be near the opponent.

magic distance is about a f-tilt and a third away. give you time to react to dash up-smash and gives you some room to walk> f-tilt

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I wouldn't say crazy aggro but you always want to be near the opponent.

magic distance is about a f-tilt and a third away. give you time to react to dash up-smash and gives you some room to walk> f-tilt
Entirely agree with this. Also a threatening range for our d-tilt, down-b, and up-b, which are all great for breaking open their camping.

Once you hit them with something significant and knock them out of their comfort zone, you can be more aggro. Some characters like Diddy are better to just not aggro and keep with the first strategy as long as possible.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I'm an upcoming DK main, and I've actually learned a lot of **** by watching a lot of top Dks play.

I've learned to:

1. Space tilts
2. Space aerials
3. Use lagless roflcopters on platforms of all starter stages
4. utilize cross ups (c'mon, I was a Snake main before)

The one thing I'd like to know is.. How should I go about using roflcopter on the ground as an approach? Are there any particular times to use it? Why that over ground pound?

One more thing, should I stay grounded or in the air against Pikas?

crifer

Smash Lord
upB is a good alternative to walking ftilt, dtilt, grab or bair approaches since it has super armor frames, if you learn to time it, upB beasts through other attacks. But be careful, decent players will simply SDI out of it and could punish you for it. upB is really good against IC´s, sucks against snake (nades), falco (jab lol), mk, D3.
upB is also a underrated OOS move, especially if spot dodge happy falco´s, wario´s or other characters tend to spot dodge out of behavoir.

I like to space bair precisely against pika, that shuts him pretty much down.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Disagree, it's great vs Falco!

Unless you have some miracle super armor timing, grounded up-b is best used when they're about to land. It covers a lot of spaces and lasts forever. It's also a great way to punish spot-dodges.

Against Pika, I feel more comfortable on the ground vs them. I would go into the air if they misspace a thunderjolt to b-air them in the face for it.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I like to do grounded up-b when are near the ledge, it will push them off the edge and get hit by part of the up-b. Also it is used for awesome pressure.

Down b, is best used against people who rely on their ground game, snake, ic's, diddy, DDD, and others. Also use it to tech chase, little known fact, you can down b on a platform (not smashville) and it will hit most chars that are stading below you.

Against Pika, bairs can work, you can bair threw a jolt and hit him in the face, or you can run right under the jolt and get a free grab, it just depends on where you are and what the pike is doing.

Neon!

Smash Lord
if pika is on the ground dont try to bair him lol, stay grounded as much as you can and space dtilt, down b and whatnot. You have to be able to read him, we honestly dont have many safe moves vs him. Believe me I got destoyed by Kprime and ESAM at whobo lol.

What's up DKs?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
1) Oh my god, I love Norfair, I could write a book on how good this stage is for some characters, but for now, I'll focus on DK. :p This stage is great, platforms are spaced and put where they are FOR DK'S BAIR as well as UpB shenanigans. Lava's not too big a problem because we get hit, and we don't care.

2) This helps with campier matchups, but unfortunately, doesn't help much vs. MK, though it's a decent counterpick vs him. This is also a stage to **** Snake HORRIBLY on. That matchup's never been too bad for us though.

3) Bair

4) Definitely a good stage for DK, and one of my favorites to play him on.

For that third question, would you say that he excels in certain parts of the map more, like the bottom or the top platforms, or that he's well rounded between the two? I can definitely see DK being a beast at the bottom of the stage, since DK has good upwards hitting attacks, but is generally as good across the stage?

Also, thanks for the input, it's already helping.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I feel more comfortable on the middle one and the lower two, but on the top two, DK can kill super early with a smash, and at a decent percent with bair.

Also, I'd wait for the real DKs to come in and say something, I'm no DK expert, but that's how I felt about the stage back when it was legal.

Top Bottom