• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
At low % always cargo hold and throw. Cargo has some weird knockback armor

:phone:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I've always been afraid of getting grabbed out of cargo. That'd just be the worst ever.

Luigi player

Smash Master
yeah only cargo if the other climber isnt there (= they're already seperated) nana never breaks out of cargo which is pretty cool (unless the other climber is near, then she'll break out)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
It has a 10% Super Armour.

Meaning, moves that do 10% or less won't hit us out.
It does not have 10% armor. I know this for a fact.

It has "if a move won't knock DK on his *** at this % then he'll take the hit" which means it changes at different %

tekkie

Smash Master
if i'm correct the two ways to extend upB's invincibility is to either use ledgeslip mechanics and upB so that you keep your run/dash momentum and slide off the edge after the upB initiates on a platform, or to upB and then hit a slope like on YI?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
if i'm correct the two ways to extend upB's invincibility is to either use ledgeslip mechanics and upB so that you keep your run/dash momentum and slide off the edge after the upB initiates on a platform, or to upB and then hit a slope like on YI?
Kind of. When DK's up-b goes ground to air or vice versa, it keeps all the properties, except the hitbox and damage, of the move when it transitions between the two. So his grounded up-b has super armor which can carry over into air, and the air one has invincibility.

The two ways to get invincibility is to up-b into the slope during it, or to slide off the edge and do an aerial up-b, then return to the ground during the invincibility. Or at least I'm assuming that's how the second way functions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CmvJM-Rq8

tekkie

Smash Master
so when DK users upB off a platform for the invincibility are they starting it on the platform and sliding off with the edgeslip or something? or just kinda sliding off regularly?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
You might be thinking of the super armor extended version off of platforms. Leaving the ground during the super armor frames of the grounded version extend the super armor throughout the move.

crifer

Smash Lord
How do we punish snake ftilt oos? I've tried ftilt but it doesn't seem to range enough.
I think it´s not punishbar afaik. You can clank with his ftilt by using dtilt, though.
Also if you get pushed back far enough you can try downB, which is the move with most ground range in the game.

Neon!

Smash Lord
How do we punish snake ftilt oos? I've tried ftilt but it doesn't seem to range enough.
Facing away from snake and immediately punishing with bair is the best way and safest way to punish.

I didnt even power shield here and I was easily able to punish ftilt.
http://youtu.be/i4Yvf5Dfxvw?t=2m54s

If you're facing forward and he spaces it well, you're best option is to roll away. If he uses ftilt 1 & 2 it is possible to punish with dk's ftilt.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
So let's say that your opponent (snake) likes to air dodge before he lands.

He has just recovered high from his jump+ up B shenanigans, and is falling back to stage.

There's many things DK can do here, but I was wondering whats the best option. Up airing him, reading/punishing him mid-descent? Bairing him off stage, using that same tatic? Or using the ground slap, popping him back up. If there's a better option or this post is too situational, let me know. :)

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
So let's say that your opponent (snake) likes to air dodge before he lands.

He has just recovered high from his jump+ up B shenanigans, and is falling back to stage.

There's many things DK can do here, but I was wondering whats the best option. Up airing him, reading/punishing him mid-descent? Bairing him off stage, using that same tatic? Or using the ground slap, popping him back up. If there's a better option or this post is too situational, let me know. :)
If it's Snake you can grab him before he lands, Cargo (no throw) him offstage and then just let him fall to his death lmao.

But realistically your best option in this scenario is to set up the grab and throw. DK's throws (I suggest Cargo throw!) are extremely good and can reset this nasty position over and over again. You can do things like jump up and u-air at him, and then fast fall back down to get back in time for the grab if he airdodges the U-air sometimes. Or you can simply sit on the ground and follow him, shielding for the potential b-air and grabbing when you see him land. Very easy and very effective method.

Other than that, you can bait airdodges by charging a smash attack for where he'll land, and then releasing it to punish his airdodge, or you can bait airdodges higher up by getting into your b-air/u-air range, fall alongside them, and then hit them out of the end of their airdodge. These are better at high percents, u-air is a fairly easy kill this way

There's other tricks you can use but you'll have to find how to use them yourself. These are the most basic options.

we can't give away the secret of our F-air into giant punch frame trap, am I right guys?

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
If it's Snake you can grab him before he lands, Cargo (no throw) him offstage and then just let him fall to his death lmao.

But realistically your best option in this scenario is to set up the grab and throw. DK's throws (I suggest Cargo throw!) are extremely good and can reset this nasty position over and over again. You can do things like jump up and u-air at him, and then fast fall back down to get back in time for the grab if he airdodges the U-air sometimes. Or you can simply sit on the ground and follow him, shielding for the potential b-air and grabbing when you see him land. Very easy and very effective method.

Other than that, you can bait airdodges by charging a smash attack for where he'll land, and then releasing it to punish his airdodge, or you can bait airdodges higher up by getting into your b-air/u-air range, fall alongside them, and then hit them out of the end of their airdodge. These are better at high percents, u-air is a fairly easy kill this way

There's other tricks you can use but you'll have to find how to use them yourself. These are the most basic options.

we can't give away the secret of our F-air into giant punch frame trap, am I right guys?

Thanks for the the reply, if only dk had some special secret to snake , like fair to giant punch:/

Speaking of cargo, is the cargo lock on earthbound kids an actual infinite? Usually they can't escape but sometimes they di just out of my reach. Am I too slow or is it just escapable? I saw a thread the other on the dk archives, but it was just ripple arguing it was an infinite and another guy telling him hes wrong.

NatP

Smash Ace
I'm sorry for the basic answer I'm about to ask but I looked everywhere and I still couldn't find anything regarding it. How exactly does DK's super armor on his Donkey Punch work?

I mean, most the time I use it it eats through attacks like it's nothing but sometimes I just get hit. What's the deal? Thanks.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Thanks for the the reply, if only dk had some special secret to snake , like fair to giant punch:/

Speaking of cargo, is the cargo lock on earthbound kids an actual infinite? Usually they can't escape but sometimes they di just out of my reach. Am I too slow or is it just escapable? I saw a thread the other on the dk archives, but it was just ripple arguing it was an infinite and another guy telling him hes wrong.
I'm not entirely sure if it's escapable or not. If it's escapable it's not easy, especially if we spin while we hold them.

I'm sorry for the basic answer I'm about to ask but I looked everywhere and I still couldn't find anything regarding it. How exactly does DK's super armor on his Donkey Punch work?

I mean, most the time I use it it eats through attacks like it's nothing but sometimes I just get hit. What's the deal? Thanks.
It's fine. First off, only a fully charged Giant Punch has super armor. The super armor doesn't last through out the entire move. It's true super armor, meaning it can armor literally any attack in the game during those frames, but it can be grabbed.

Frame Data
Hits on 18 (shoulder), hits on 19-22 (punch), ...Super Armor is on frames 17-20.

What this translates to is that you will only be able to Super Armor things when DK is in the motion of actually hitting someone with the punch.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
Ledge jump (Pressing Y on the ledge, not letting go of the edge to double jump) > Side B

Good idea or bad?

Note: The enemy is probably shielding/waiting at the ledge, with little to no elbow room.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
It's a good idea like once every month. Side-b, despite the surprise factor of just STOPPING there, takes forever to go off. You'll get hit/grabbed out of it more often than not. Or it'll just get shielded. It's a mix-up, a really really risky and slow one at that. Like all mix-ups you've gotta keep it unexpected.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK infinites earthbound kids. legit infinite.

you have a 2-4 frame window to do it or something.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
The easiest way to infinite Ness/Lucas without them being able to DI out:

1) Cargo hold.
2) Turn around.
3) WAIT.
4) React to whichever side they choose to pop out, and re-grab.

This is an inescapable infinite given you turn around in place, since this sets them up to release behind DK by default. They can, however DI to pop out in front of you-- but they will be forced to release close to DK.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Ledge jump- side-b is great option that should be used rarely. It's worked countless times for me especially against mk. If mk simply sits in his shield near the ledge he can easily cover most of our ledge options, many mk players have this habit and it is easy to punish with ledge jump-side-b. Usually the mk will try to react to DK's jump with an aerial oos or tornado and the side-b hits them just as soon as they drop their shield.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
It makes me happy seeing 4 fantastic DK mains answer my question :D

But anyway, I was wondering what DK's best out of shield option. Spinning kong sounds good, but sometimes my opponent does something like a jab and interrupts my up b, idk if I'm slow or they're just fast.

Also, I read earlier in this thread that up tilted side tilt beats MK's nado, so I've been retreating and doing that alot, and it's been working! But most often then not, I get caught up in my shield blocking the tornado. (assuming I have a full/good shield and it won't shield poke) what's the best way to punish nado on the the safe and unsafe landing (it's okay if I retreat if it's safe, but unsafe seems like I need to do something productive) ground slap chase? Spinning kong? I assume bair isn't a great punish b/c rising bairs don't hit...quite the problem :(

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
No problem. It's why the thread is here. Punishing out of shield with DK isn't a simple matter. It really just comes down to knowing your ranges and the speed of your attacks alongside how punishable your opponents attacks are. In general though, our most useful OOS options are jump + b-air, shield grab, d-tilt, u-tilt, and d-smash.
  • B-air OOS is fast and high ranged, but will whiff against short opponents and will put us in the air, which is bad if they don't get hit.
  • Shield grab can't be shielded (a common option for doing something punishable on shield) and is very rewarding, but we honestly don't have much range on grab.
  • D-tilt has a ton of reach and can lead to good damage at low percents. Is fast and not too easy to punish if you mistime it. Good if you're unsure if you can punish a high reaching move (like an Ike f-air), and good at low percents.
  • U-tilt is our fastest move, can lead to juggles, and covers a ton of space in the air. Very good for punishing rising aerials or if you just need something fast next to you.
  • D-smash is a high reward punish. It kills early and hits fast (10~11 frames). Careful not to miss with this one, and only use it to kill with.
There are other options like u-air OOS, or even moves like down-b or up-b OOS but they're much more situational.

Tornado is a bit different to punish. If you are close enough, shield grab (you may have to dash into it) is a good option to get either the autocancelled or the normal variants of tornados. However, a lot of MKs will expect this and will be buffering spotdodges. So yes, down-b (and less so up-b) are good options to punish with because they'll catch the spotdodge, and down-b has a ton of range. F/D-tilt are also fairly good options if they stayed within their range, due to their speed.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
No problem. It's why the thread is here. Punishing out of shield with DK isn't a simple matter. It really just comes down to knowing your ranges and the speed of your attacks alongside how punishable your opponents attacks are. In general though, our most useful OOS options are jump + b-air, shield grab, d-tilt, u-tilt, and d-smash.
  • B-air OOS is fast and high ranged, but will whiff against short opponents and will put us in the air, which is bad if they don't get hit.
  • Shield grab can't be shielded (a common option for doing something punishable on shield) and is very rewarding, but we honestly don't have much range on grab.
  • D-tilt has a ton of reach and can lead to good damage at low percents. Is fast and not too easy to punish if you mistime it. Good if you're unsure if you can punish a high reaching move (like an Ike f-air), and good at low percents.
  • U-tilt is our fastest move, can lead to juggles, and covers a ton of space in the air. Very good for punishing rising aerials or if you just need something fast next to you.
  • D-smash is a high reward punish. It kills early and hits fast (10~11 frames). Careful not to miss with this one, and only use it to kill with.
There are other options like u-air OOS, or even moves like down-b or up-b OOS but they're much more situational.

Tornado is a bit different to punish. If you are close enough, shield grab (you may have to dash into it) is a good option to get either the autocancelled or the normal variants of tornados. However, a lot of MKs will expect this and will be buffering spotdodges. So yes, down-b (and less so up-b) are good options to punish with because they'll catch the spotdodge, and down-b has a ton of range. F/D-tilt are also fairly good options if they stayed within their range, due to their speed.
Thanks :). I asked this question in the brawl q&a thread but that looks kinda dead so I hope this tread can help.

How do I buffer tilts? I've got up tilt down but the rest I dont.

Luigi player

Smash Master
hold the direction you want to hit till shortly before you can do something again (during buffer), then press A and release both (still during buffer).

you have 10 frames for buffering so it shouldn't be too hard after you got a feeling for it / your cooldown on some stuff where you can buffer out from

Neon!

Smash Lord
Will was far too agressive in that game, DK has to bait diddy very well in this matchup and have plenty of patience.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
plenty of patience.
Definitely. Will was definitely flustered that match and couldn't find his footing. I think every character in the game loses to Diddy when the player is frustrated.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
So what stages/Character CPs should I be looking at if DK isn't my best shot? (My secondaries are falco/G&W)

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
So what stages/Character CPs should I be looking at if DK isn't my best shot? (My secondaries are falco/G&W)
If you can't do the match-up as DK, pick Falco. I know a bunch of Diddies struggle in that match-up. I can't tell you anything about Falco stage counterpicks (you're probably looking at Battlefield). If you choose to go DK, Rainbow/Brinstar duo is an obvious CP vs Diddy. If those are banned, I really really suggest you just pick whatever you're the most comfortable on. I think most people would by default tell you to go Yoshi's Island vs... everybody... but I dislike the stage against characters like Diddy, I find the platform obtrusive to approaching him. You get off the edge for free there, if you're having that problem vs Diddy, though.

D

Deleted member 189823

Is a appropriate for a DK to chase you around with B-Air, constantly spamming it given the chance? I have a friend who ocassionally plays him.
Professional DK players like Will and that machine guy don't go around constantly chasing people with B-Air, so with that, I assume it's punishable in some way?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Is a appropriate for a DK to chase you around with B-Air, constantly spamming it given the chance? I have a friend who ocassionally plays him.
Professional DK players like Will and that machine guy don't go around constantly chasing people with B-Air, so with that, I assume it's punishable in some way?
Yeah, it's punishable, even when it's retreated. Which is ********.
It's usually saved best for beating/ trading with aerial approaches.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
if somebody is in my face all the time, what is the best thing i can do? i have a hard time getting some room to breathe.
Up angled or a standard f-tilt will work wonders for you. If they sidestep often, Hand Slap or copter works.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Down Tilt works too, but the best option I find is Jab.
It sends them out perfectly.

Top Bottom