• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Planking (i.e. Ledgestalling) be Banned?

Should Planking be Banned?

• Total voters

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The real problem with Brawl is not the game, it's Nintendo. Nintendo decided it would be a great idea to have online play but no updates. Unfortunately, if they go that path, they have to make a perfect game.

However, ledge grabbing limit won't stop planking as much as it will stop other tactics too. The only way is to outright ban planking altogether or don't ban it at all.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The real problem with Brawl is not the game, it's Nintendo. Nintendo decided it would be a great idea to have online play but no updates. Unfortunately, if they go that path, they have to make a perfect game.

However, ledge grabbing limit won't stop planking as much as it will stop other tactics too. The only way is to outright ban planking altogether or don't ban it at all.
Not really, just ban MK and G&W planking outright because they are really too good at planking.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman

What other tactics would limiting ledge grabbing stop?

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Wobbling's not a glitch. It's an exploit. The Freeze Glitch is a glitch.
Um you do know that an exploit is the act of using a glitch or unintended feature to your advantage right? :ohwell:

Either way your climbing up the wrong tree. The point is each game has its issues that arise in competitive play that need to be dealt with either through rules or through other methods.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Like Jigglypuff and Kirby forcing the opponent to approach off-stage, but not really planking because they are most definitely vulnerable, just less so than on-stage.
If you're doing that 70 times a match, thats still taking up a long time in total time invincibe alone, not counting the time you're out of reach, and you'd certainly run out the match unless you get uptilted by Snake as soon as you get off the ledge 3 times.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
congrats, you're part of the problem the community is so ****ing stupid... if I planked every match then I would quit the scene... call me a scrub, whatever, I'll stick to camping and running out time on stage, not on the ****ing edge making myself cringe and quit smash.
We are a competitive community, the entire idea is to play to win. That means doing the best tournament-legal moves. If we discover that a tactic is totally broken, we ban it, or if it's impossible to ban, we move on to a different better game. Right now, we have no clue what planking qualifies as because nobody is doing it enough.

If you don't want to do it then fine, be a scrub. But your honor code is just as arbitrary as the people who won't camp because it's "gay". The fact that your attitude is so common is the reason why our community is so looked down upon and considered so juvenile.

yeah, because everyone planks... obviously... stop johning about MK and learn how to play the ****ing game, scrub.
I find it very ironic that you're calling somebody a scrub... your whole "playing to win is the community's problem" speech DEFINES scrub.

Um you do know that an exploit is the act of using a glitch or unintended feature to your advantage right? :ohwell:

Either way your climbing up the wrong tree. The point is each game has its issues that arise in competitive play that need to be dealt with either through rules or through other methods.
No...

A giltch is a problem with the engine programming where you do something the engine simply cannot handle. This causes the game to produce effects that are not covered by the engine. For example, a stack overflow occurs causing say the characters to freeze.

An exploit is where the engine works perfectly, but it produces an unexpected event.

GofG

Smash Champion
Edge stalling is broken in Melee, too.

Jigglypuff, Sheik, Marth, etc. Untouchable, or at least, very difficult to touch, if they were planking.

No one planked in Melee, though, because whereas being aggressive in Brawl is frowned upon and very aggrivating and frustrating, being aggressive in Melee is very very fun.

That one time M2K 4 stock'd KDJ by planking with Sheik, just to prove that it was broken. That's on video too, and no one cared about THAT. The only reason people care about it in Brawl is because people might actually start doing it, since it is just as fun as playing the game normally.

Jupz

Smash Master
It should be banned imo, it just makes it boring and impossible to win. In any other game it would have already been banned, its a cheap tactic to win. IDC which out of 1 or 2 I just want it banned

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
We are a competitive community, the entire idea is to play to win. That means doing the best tournament-legal moves. If we discover that a tactic is totally broken, we ban it, or if it's impossible to ban, we move on to a different better game. Right now, we have no clue what planking qualifies as because nobody is doing it enough.

If you don't want to do it then fine, be a scrub. But your honor code is just as arbitrary as the people who won't camp because it's "gay". The fact that your attitude is so common is the reason why our community is so looked down upon and considered so juvenile.
Well our community is juvenile, there's no getting around that. I'm all for the competitive mindset, but really now? Is noticing a truly stupid tactic really the same as possessing an "honor code" like you say? How many people would really start to look down upon Brawl if planking were to become more of a "norm" in what people do during a match? I'll tell you, it would then be considered a total joke of a competitive game, as was its initial intent.

Honestly, if we're striving so hard to make a game out to be competitive that was clearly "armored" to not be such this time around, why would we want to aid that motive through our own means by allowing such a silly tactic to continue? I know we'll have to see what the SBR says on the matter for anything "official", but if they allow it to continue then I might as well just take the time to become a TO and host tournaments with the tactic banned anyway. It's a joke.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I could be wrong, but I think he meant that it's so ****ing boring to plank every match... IMO, part of the reason many people don't plank is that it very simply is not fun. Don't get me wrong, I like winning, but as with any other competitive game/event/sport/etc., some of us are motivated more by the competition than by actually winning. With planking, it's just boring, and if it becomes the norm, I think a lot of us shall find there are more interesting ways to lose money.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you're doing that 70 times a match, thats still taking up a long time in total time invincibe alone, not counting the time you're out of reach, and you'd certainly run out the match unless you get uptilted by Snake as soon as you get off the ledge 3 times.
Not really because once you are losing they don't have to approach you and you are just losing the match for yourself. So they don't honestly care and can projectile spam the hell out of you.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I could be wrong, but I think he meant that it's so ****ing boring to plank every match... I'm part of the reason many people don't plank is that it very simply is not fun. Don't get me wrong, I like winning, but as with any other competitive game/event/sport/etc., some of us are motivated more by the competition than by actually winning. With planking, it's just boring, and if it becomes the norm, I think a lot of us shall find there are more interesting ways to lose money.
WHAT?!? No, that's wrong. You can't be a member of Smashboards if winning isn't the most important thing to you. Fun be ****ed, if you don't win, you are worthless. Life is nothing without winning, and you should be ashamed for even considering the notion that enjoying the competition is equally important to winning.

Shame.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
No...

A giltch is a problem with the engine programming where you do something the engine simply cannot handle. This causes the game to produce effects that are not covered by the engine. For example, a stack overflow occurs causing say the characters to freeze.

An exploit is where the engine works perfectly, but it produces an unexpected event.
Frankly that is the worst definition of it I have ever heard. The term exploit is not a game specific term, but rather a computer term in general that applies to games as well.

An exploit (from the same word in the French language, meaning "achievement", or "accomplishment") is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that can take advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behavior to occur on computer software, hardware, or other electronic devices. This frequently includes such things as violently gaining control of a computer system.
Exploit is an action taken by a player to use a game engine in a way that is outside the bounds of the game's normal rules to gain an unfair advantage. If there was a bug in the game that allowed Sonic to instantly do 999% damage and knock off any foe the exploit would be the act of using that bug would be exploiting.

At any rate I'll let you respond, but I am not going to reply to it. I am not going to get into a pointless debate here since Planking is not an exploit just another questionable technique.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
What do people think about something like if the match ends in a timeout it goes to a 1 stock "sudden death (extra match)", and if THAT times out both players forfeit.

It doesn't remove planking, but rather takes away the incentive to do it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
What do people think about something like if the match ends in a timeout it goes to a 1 stock "sudden death (extra match)", and if THAT times out both players forfeit.

It doesn't remove planking, but rather takes away the incentive to do it.
Because then the losing player has an incentive to stall. Because then the tournaments would be taking even longer. Because you can't disqualify both players for something one may not have control over.

It changes the incentive, but doesn't take it away by any means.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Stalling is one of those evils of the timer that almost everyone hates. Because players start to use the timer to their advantage whenever possible. If we took your idea then players that are down 3 stocks know if they can last just 2 more minutes to get into an OT period then they will do whatever you need to get there.

However without a timer you could have matches that last insanely long times as well.

It is just one of those cases where one way or another you create a problem.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Because then the losing player has an incentive to stall. Because then the tournaments would be taking even longer. Because you can't disqualify both players for something one may not have control over.

It changes the incentive, but doesn't take it away by any means.
I suppose. I would argue that in theory it could actually make matches shorter.

TheFast

Smash Lord

Well If they dont let you off the ledge after putting pressure on them, it can take a little while. Kirby can be stopped by moving just out of my Fair range where he cant DI back to the stage. When you move this far away it becomes much safer for him to move up. Not planking its limited by the Ledge grab limit. Sure 70 sounds like your doing it alot but to do this you need to grab the ledge each time you fair. It takes about 7 fairs to break some1s shield so in theory you might end up doing this 6 times each time you come up from the ledge. Its sounds like alot but it only last as long as about 6 fairs.

Now to say this is Planking is false. Kirby goes above the stage and over it than back to the ledge. It can be easily punished by Tether grabs, any project and any move longer than Kirby's fair. This tactic isnt for stalling but rather pressuring somebody to move away from the edge to open you options while getting back onto the stage.

A pretty big problem is there is no direct way to "Ban" planking. Becuase is one Plank considered planking? with Marth I do he up-thing every now and then on accident when try to run off and get a quick stage spike. But now if doing it once is not considered it than what number of planks would be aloud before a the term of planking is implied? Also how would you determine what is concidered "in a row".

The best way to let planking be determined is to leave it be for now. While some people might plank if it is broken as people say it is, than it will get a negative spin from the community. While this will not stop it, it will discurage it enough with in the community long enough for a good solution to be found (If this is need). While alot of people will saying "O if you play to win you shouldnt care what people think about it." actions are always effected by the peers around us no matter how we try to play it off. We should for now let it run its own course and see how this happens. (While falco players will say it it broken every time you cant help but think, well than why play falco. Some people see falco have no answer for planking a reason to ban it. Please do not use this because it is flawed. Just because certain "top/high tier" characters have trouble with it many concidered "Mid tier" have good counters to it. The fact that some characters will be unplayiable the nature of any game on a competative level. Saying "Why lower and already lower the low amount of characters that can be used" is just a scrubby thing to say for two reason. 1) It doesnt "Lower the number" rather than change them around. 2)The evidence you supported is backed up by the reason of playing the game for enjoyment.)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Nobody said that. Be quiet.
C'mon now, it was pretty funny...

Also Fast, it's not like we HAVE to do 7 Fairs to get back onstage... I've managed to almost break shields of characters trying to stop me from getting back onto the stage with just 1-2 edgegrabs. If the number becomes 50 or 70 or whatever, we just have to utilize other options.

Hell, I do the most ledgegames with Ganon and Mario (Especially Mario), and I still never even get anywhere near either of those numbers.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
How many people would really start to look down upon Brawl if planking were to become more of a "norm" in what people do during a match? I'll tell you, it would then be considered a total joke of a competitive game, as was its initial intent.
Too late for that, this is a joke of a competitive game. That you have to hack your Wii to even make an argument for its competitiveness is a joke. This whole planking issue is ridiculous.

1) If you outright ban it, it will be impossible for a TO to watch every match to determine if planking has taken place.
2) Whenever we institute limits to how many times you can abuse a broken tactic people will just learn how to use it 69, 49, or however many times they can do it without breaking the rules. If you set random rules about only checking if the time runs out, then it will be in the losing players favor to run the clock out in hopes of getting auto win.

Therefore, the best solution is to deal with it or stop playing.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well our community is juvenile, there's no getting around that. I'm all for the competitive mindset, but really now? Is noticing a truly stupid tactic really the same as possessing an "honor code" like you say? How many people would really start to look down upon Brawl if planking were to become more of a "norm" in what people do during a match? I'll tell you, it would then be considered a total joke of a competitive game, as was its initial intent.
Perhaps if it juvenile, it's time to get some maturity.

As far as honor code goes, he said that he wouldn't... that's what I'm talking about, that's the honor code.

As for how they'd look at the community...

Seriously, having expirience with other competative gaming communities I know that our refusal to plank and otherwise play to win is part of what they specifically cite as why our community is poor.

If we actually planked, they'd probably have far better opinions of us, because that's part of the normal process of defining whether something is banworthy.

That way, if it's ban-worthy, we'll know and we can ban it (the ledge-grab rule is quite effective).

Honestly, if we're striving so hard to make a game out to be competitive that was clearly "armored" to not be such this time around, why would we want to aid that motive through our own means by allowing such a silly tactic to continue? I know we'll have to see what the SBR says on the matter for anything "official", but if they allow it to continue then I might as well just take the time to become a TO and host tournaments with the tactic banned anyway. It's a joke.
You're sort of missing the point.

Is it banworthy? We don't really know because not enough people are doing it.

The advantage of everyone playing to win is that if one tactic dominates it's very easy to tell, that way people can ban.

Doing this "not quite acceptable but not banned" stuff just leaves the power of the tactic ambiguous, meaning that it's impossible to get a community concensus about how good it is.

Frankly that is the worst definition of it I have ever heard. The term exploit is not a game specific term, but rather a computer term in general that applies to games as well.
The point is we are refering to it within the context of games, of course it means something different within comp sci as a whole, because it's far more generalized, but this is what it refers to in gaming.

Exploit is an action taken by a player to use a game engine in a way that is outside the bounds of the game's normal rules to gain an unfair advantage. If there was a bug in the game that allowed Sonic to instantly do 999% damage and knock off any foe the exploit would be the act of using that bug would be exploiting.
It's outside of the intended bounds but occurs WITHIN the engine itself, as opposed to something that breaks down the engine.

At any rate I'll let you respond, but I am not going to reply to it. I am not going to get into a pointless debate here since Planking is not an exploit just another questionable technique.
Not like you can stop me from responding.

I could be wrong, but I think he meant that it's so ****ing boring to plank every match... IMO, part of the reason many people don't plank is that it very simply is not fun. Don't get me wrong, I like winning, but as with any other competitive game/event/sport/etc., some of us are motivated more by the competition than by actually winning. With planking, it's just boring, and if it becomes the norm, I think a lot of us shall find there are more interesting ways to lose money.
Well, if the most powerful technique then matches will become a stailmate, and then we ban it.

Again, people, it's about more then anything, actually figuring out whether planking truly needs a ban.

Too late for that, this is a joke of a competitive game. That you have to hack your Wii to even make an argument for its competitiveness is a joke. This whole planking issue is ridiculous.

1) If you outright ban it, it will be impossible for a TO to watch every match to determine if planking has taken place.
2) Whenever we institute limits to how many times you can abuse a broken tactic people will just learn how to use it 69, 49, or however many times they can do it without breaking the rules. If you set random rules about only checking if the time runs out, then it will be in the losing players favor to run the clock out in hopes of getting auto win.

Therefore, the best solution is to deal with it or stop playing.
1. Edge grabs are calculated, it's easy to see number of edgrabs at end of match.

2. True, but we're looking to set a limit that breaks the back of the technique but doesn't prevent recoveries. The issue of perma-stalling is dealt with pretty easily with pretty much any limit on the technique. In other words, except when almost at the time limit, 39 edgegrab limit doesn't help you much if you've already used 18 of them.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, if the most powerful technique then matches will become a stailmate, and then we ban it.

Again, people, it's about more then anything, actually figuring out whether planking truly needs a ban.
I agree completely... but that had absolutely nothing to do with my post...

TheFast

Smash Lord
C'mon now, it was pretty funny...

Also Fast, it's not like we HAVE to do 7 Fairs to get back onstage... I've managed to almost break shields of characters trying to stop me from getting back onto the stage with just 1-2 edgegrabs. If the number becomes 50 or 70 or whatever, we just have to utilize other options.

Hell, I do the most ledgegames with Ganon and Mario (Especially Mario), and I still never even get anywhere near either of those numbers.

Dedede (I was going on Maxium)

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well, I did read through a bit of the last page, but it'd be impossible to read every one in this topic.

There are two things that I would like to state just in case they haven't been mentioned yet.

1) Planking is not reserved for any particular section of the tier list. There are higher tiered characters, like MK or Marth, who can plank very effectively, but there are also lower tiered characters, like Ganon or Samus, who are very good at planking. If this "technique" were limited to only one or two (characters/tiers) then it may be banable.

2) Planking has the intent of stalling. Fighting by ledge-regrabbing after aerials to try and push an aggressive opponent away from the edge is, by competitive standards, your safest, and debatably smartest, option. If an opponent walks across the stage and is not threatening you, there is no reason you should be on the ledge. However, if your opponent wants to continue the fight and thusly refuses to give you your space then there's no reason that you should be punished for playing safe.

XienZo

Smash Lord

Well If they dont let you off the ledge after putting pressure on them, it can take a little while. Kirby can be stopped by moving just out of my Fair range where he cant DI back to the stage. When you move this far away it becomes much safer for him to move up. Not planking its limited by the Ledge grab limit. Sure 70 sounds like your doing it alot but to do this you need to grab the ledge each time you fair. It takes about 7 fairs to break some1s shield so in theory you might end up doing this 6 times each time you come up from the ledge. Its sounds like alot but it only last as long as about 6 fairs.

Now to say this is Planking is false. Kirby goes above the stage and over it than back to the ledge. It can be easily punished by Tether grabs, any project and any move longer than Kirby's fair. This tactic isnt for stalling but rather pressuring somebody to move away from the edge to open you options while getting back onto the stage.
Of course, but you'd need to be hit to the ledge 11 times to go over the limit. Which means that you would break their shield 11 times, so in theory, this would only happen if you were really, really, bad at killing people with broken shields.

Also, you'd need to get hit to the ledge over once every 40 seconds or so, and then you'd spend 20 seconds back on stage. Regardless of whether its safe or not, you're still taking up half of the total match time getting up onto the ledge, which is IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE who's going to legitly win a tournament. The ONLY way you could possibly be knocked off and pressured that much is if you were playing Fast Brawl.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Not even, because the time still moves proportionately. Even in Fast Brawl that could barely happen, if not less.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I would, but I am currently in Pullman, Washington going to school at WSU and haven't had time to. 18 Credits is suffocating on fun time. ;)
I go to U of I... and I am actually at work here at WSU as I read this, weird eh? We have a pretty good smash group over in Moscow and we play pretty much every weekend and carpool down to Eastern Washington tournies. I know what you mean though, I'm taking 17 credits and it consumes most of your time :(((

However if you wanna play sometime hit me up with a PM. We need all the people we can get.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I go to U of I... and I am actually at work here at WSU as I read this, weird eh? We have a pretty good smash group over in Moscow and we play pretty much every weekend and carpool down to Eastern Washington tournies. I know what you mean though, I'm taking 17 credits and it consumes most of your time :(((

However if you wanna play sometime hit me up with a PM. We need all the people we can get.
I may have to take you up on that one of these weeks. I have been dying to find players who know what they are doing. I get rusty only playing casual smash brothers players.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sorry. I'll start doing it more in my tournaments from now on.
Please do.

Yes, I know that was sarcasm, but it's actually the best option, so yes, I want you to plank.

I agree completely... but that had absolutely nothing to do with my post...
Actually it did, the underpining of your post was that the game would become boring if everyone planked because it's generally speaking, the most powerful technique, correct?

I'm suggesting that if it is so powerful, it's banworthy, however we don't know that yet, thus I was suggesting a solution.

Manic_1

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight mirror match. match starts, both start planking at the same time. No damage is done for the entire match because neither player wants to put them self at a disadvantage. No one wins. same thing happens in over time. What do you do about that? You can't give both players the win. It's stalling. It encourages the lack of interaction. It's should be delt with.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Actually it did, the underpining of your post was that the game would become boring if everyone planked because it's generally speaking, the most powerful technique, correct?

I'm suggesting that if it is so powerful, it's banworthy, however we don't know that yet, thus I was suggesting a solution.
But what about the community slowly dwindling away during that time frame before we deduce that its harmful or not? Regardless of being broken or not, for every match where its uncounterable, more and more people would get bored of SSBB, and some might not return once we ban/find a counter for it.

Meta Knight mirror match. match starts, both start planking at the same time. No damage is done for the entire match because neither player wants to put them self at a disadvantage. No one wins. same thing happens in over time. What do you do about that? You can't give both players the win. It's stalling. It encourages the lack of interaction. It's should be delt with.
I was actually wondering about this, because in the infamous MK ditto vid, there are 3 times where their percentages are the same, and one kept planking. What happens when the % is the same at the end of the match?

Top Bottom