• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Planking (i.e. Ledgestalling) be Banned?

Should Planking be Banned?

• Total voters

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
I'm against planking, but I'm not against pushing time. I think planking is broken and makes the game absolutely stupid and pointless to play. When I'm playing patient and pushing time against thrzy's pika or lain's IC's it's really intense for close to the whole time.

I don't care if you think stuff is not fun, but I do care when people start saying how cheap things are when in reality most of the stuff is perfectly beatable. Planking, imo, is not beatable unless you're playing one of a very few select characters. It's stupid and should be taken out.

Other stuff, such as IC infinite, is not broke. You can definitely beat it and the character would be absolutely ruined without it. Other stuff like, DDD infinite on DK, is broke and you really can't beat it because of how easy it is for DDD to grab a DK.

as far as my comment earlier. You were saying how you weren't going to play anymore because people are planking, when in reality, basically nobody does. I think Plank is the only good player to use it in tourney, and as far as I know, it was only against SK92.

edit: it's nothing against you personally, but rather a build up of hearing it ALL OVER THE PLACE
Oh I see then. Yeah, we agree there.

ICs get punished if they just try to go for a grab the whole match. Hmm... I don't think ICs would be like bottom tier if they didn't have their chaingrabs. Agreed.

Oh no, I didn't say I was going to quit the game or anything, but it is very broken. Maybe "scrubs" just have more fun with the game without resorting to silly antics. I've never been to a tournament and I've only played wi-fi matches like aib ladder and friendlies with my crew. No one plays smash where I live (recently moved, ignore the "Texasss")

Ok, sorry.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
G&W can nair under stages like PS1 and then snap back to the edge immediately afterward.
This, and its very useful because if you try to edgehog him you either get hit and pretty badly so with an attack that is very hard to hit through or you get the ledge and he is safely on the stage. If try to come down before that, he will hit you with an nair and then likely stage spike you. Most projectiles don't work and your best option is Marth or MK.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Hmm, yeah that does sound pretty gay. It sounds like it's actually beatable by all of the aforementioned projectiles though because he only has one jump. Unless nair's priority will cancel them all out.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hmm, yeah that does sound pretty gay. It sounds like it's actually beatable by all of the aforementioned projectiles though because he only has one jump. Unless nair's priority will cancel them all out.
The thing is that he will never be above the stage so the projectile has to go under stage to be effective and you have to time in perfectly. And then also remember he has a bucket and can screw with you badly like that which also cancels momentum so he won't fall far.

bobson

Smash Lord
I think the majority sentiment around here would've changed if everyone's first experience with planking was in an actual tournament match against a planker rather than listening to someone whine about it in the video comments on Youtube.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I think the majority sentiment around here would've changed if everyone's first experience with planking was in an actual tournament match against a planker rather than listening to someone whine about it in the video comments on Youtube.
My first experience is using it online to beat out an Olimar because he refused to go under the stage. He didn't like it but later he would screw with me pretty badly and it made it more even. Jigglypuff planking without the infinite is not stalling.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I thought of the bucket. I assumed it takes long enough to put away that most characters would have the time to ff into a bair off stage and possibly stage spike him for it.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I actually ran into a case of planking just yesterday. I was playing someone over Wifi and he was planking like crazy(I was Falco and he was MK). I was able to play a mind game on him to force him into a mistake, but looking back I doubt a more experienced player would fall for it.

There is a certain amount of skill that goes with planking, but we all know that upper level players don't lack it.

cutter

Smash Champion
I'll be going to a tournament this Thursday. I'll bring recording equipment and plank the living hell out of my opponents as G&W. We'll just see how "broken" it is.

cutter

Smash Champion
Yeah; it's allowed at the tournament. I just have to concentrate fully throughout the match because it's not that hard to sweetspot G&W's up B into the ledge.

I know I'm going to get a lot of **** for doing it, but that's why I will do it in tournament sets and not in friendlies.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah; it's allowed at the tournament. I just have to concentrate fully throughout the match because it's not that hard to sweetspot G&W's up B into the ledge.

I know I'm going to get a lot of **** for doing it, but that's why I will do it in tournament sets and not in friendlies.
Ok cool, I want to see this. And yeah, its just your gonna be doing it 50 or 70 times per match so a small mistake anywhere is a suicide.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
"Playing to win" is not the same as "being an uncompitent human being." If planking is banned...just dont plank. Dont act like such idiots, you know when you are planking...

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It's just a lame tactic. I understand "playing to win" and I agree with that mindset in tournament sets; But seriously people...sitting on a ledge for the majority of the match with with the top character in the game (or even with some others)? That is nothing but desperation in my eyes. I'm not one of those casuals preaching about "honor" or what have you, but seriously...grow some balls if you're a player who relies on planking more often than not.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
"Playing to win" is not the same as "being an uncompitent human being." If planking is banned...just dont plank. Dont act like such idiots, you know when you are planking...
This.

Also, if, say, there's a really long match because it's Brawl, and the last few minutes, the Meta Knight, realizing he obviously hasn't ledgegrabbed that much starts planking hard and the timer runs out, it then had a great effect on the outcome of the match, didn't it, even though he didn't plank the entire match, and he didn't go over the edgegrab limit...?

Gea

Smash Master
Rising pound never caused this sort of issue. Rising pound *could* be used for stalling but no one ever made a strategy out of it and it is really obvious when someone is stalling with it. In fact, it was VERY rare for the timer to ever run out in Melee matches.

I can't even think of anything in Melee that's been akin to BAN MK BAN PLANKING other than banning items and wobbling. Wobbling being the only real thing of a tactic being "broken" in the game. And guess what? It isn't broken.

B!squick

Smash Master
The game probably would have been a lot better if the developers had taken their time with the last minute additions, then we wouldn't have most of our problems.

But this thread isn't about Nintendo's failings. When you get right down to it, Planking is boring and not fun and are the main reasons why Brawl takes as much flak as it does from other competitive game players.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
I think the real question is how you would ban it objectively without counting ledge grabs (which is dumb).

I am curious as to how a match would play out if both players would get a loss in a timeout. Maybe move it up to 9-10 min also? Idk.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
A lot of games have lots of glitches. Melee had issues with rising pound and the like.
Or the infamous Wobbling.

Banning Brawl appears to be the best option.

This game probably should not be played competitively. This game has to be the only competitive game with so many ridiculous things, by far.
Every game has issues that need to be worked out. Even going back to many of the older fighting games some characters were banned because they were overpowered. The hard part is deciding what tactics can be countered and which ones have no reasonable solution.

Hell I remember older versions of Street Fighter 2 had a problem where Bison could grab you out of a psycho crusher and there was no real counter for it. The only way to avoid it was to avoid getting touched by the psycho crusher which is near impossible in competitive play.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the real question is how you would ban it objectively without counting ledge grabs (which is dumb).

I am curious as to how a match would play out if both players would get a loss in a timeout. Maybe move it up to 9-10 min also? Idk.
There is no reason to give additional time. That wouldn't help the situation.

I agree with FICTION. Like he said, "you know when you're planking." And planking is not the same as grabbing the edge because grabbing the edge may be one of the safest ways to avoid getting hit by on-coming projectiles like Falco's Blaster or Palutena's Arrow. Just ban planking. There doesn't need to be a 70 limit rule.

Gea

Smash Master
=_= THE GAME COUNTS FOR YOU, it's in the stats after the match, there's no "counting" involved.
The flaw in setting a limit is players can still go very well right under the limit OR over it and just not run out the timer. How does this "end" planking?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Gea- it doesnt end planking. We should just ban planking already but then again this thread will probably mean nothing to the SBR's final decision...

B!squick

Smash Master
The flaw in setting a limit is players can still go very well right under the limit OR over it and just not run out the timer. How does this "end" planking?
I was pointing out that you don't count. My thoughts on the issue are posted earlier in the thread so read them if you're curious.

Gea

Smash Master
I was pointing out that you don't count. My thoughts on the issue are posted earlier in the thread so read them if you're curious.
I took his post not as literally counting the grabs to be dumb, but to use a rule that works on the number of grabs made to be dumb.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Simple, there's a huge differences between planking and normal edge-grab numbers, so we can set the limit at a number where planking below it would only last a trivial portion of the match.

If its over it and NOT running out the timer, its not stalling. Planking is like infinite CGs; its OK to use to force opponents to approach (for planking) and dealing damage (for CGs) since thats purely stage/character pro/cons. However, if you're using planking to win with 1% advantage, or if you're using an infinite so they can never catch up to you, you're abusing the fact the people actually can't spend their whole life there and matches can't go over 8 minutes due to practical reasons.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Gea- it doesnt end planking. We should just ban planking already but then again this thread will probably mean nothing to the SBR's final decision...
I would think that this helps us make an informed decision. If 90% of players voting on this poll picked the same option, it would have a great deal of significance.

In a poll there is nothing subjective about the results. It's pure, plain fact.

TheFast

Smash Lord
There is no reason to give additional time. That wouldn't help the situation.

I agree with FICTION. Like he said, "you know when you're planking." And planking is not the same as grabbing the edge because grabbing the edge may be one of the safest ways to avoid getting hit by on-coming projectiles like Falco's Blaster or Palutena's Arrow. Just ban planking. There doesn't need to be a 70 limit rule.
Well what would the set definition of planking be. The idea to ban something thats definition has been twisted and turned into many different things must be very accurate. Also you would have to set a number of planks before it is concicder planking or else if you cancel your up-b with Marth one time your opponent might start complaining just to try and get the free win.

Because while Planking does have a direct definitional, its meaning seems to be portrayed as maybe different things. Im accused of planking all the time when Im playing Kirby and I fall for the side and do a rising Fair towards the stage (make sure to keep my spacing to where i cant get grabs) to pressure them away from the edge. Unless the definition is widely accepted by the whole community a ban is going to try to be hard to hold without people trying to make anything that seems like a good tactic with using the ledge as planking.

The idea stated is probably best to keep the community happy, but I sill stand by my belief planking should not be banned.

On another Note if a rule that i propose is that if your claim somebody is planking to where a cancel of the match to watch the reply is needed if they don't plank the accusing should lose that match. Just my oppinion because this will cuz down alot of complaining and false accusations.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Im accused of planking all the time when Im playing Kirby and I fall for the side and do a rising Fair towards the stage (make sure to keep my spacing to where i cant get grabs) to pressure them away from the edge. Unless the definition is widely accepted by the whole community a ban is going to try to be hard to hold without people trying to make anything that seems like a good tactic with using the ledge as planking.
I believe any off-stage antics by non MK/G&W should be allowed, while those should get a strict definition. Jigglypuff should have her infinite jump glitch banned.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I believe any off-stage antics by non MK/G&W should be allowed, while those should get a strict definition. Jigglypuff should have her infinite jump glitch banned.
I agree. Those characters can manage just fine without such antics anyway.

Top Bottom