• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOB SAGET

Smash Apprentice
Stupid we are as a community? He's screwing up the metagame and outclasses everyone in the game. :\ I'm not saying I'm for the ban but ****.. lol
dont waste your time talking to falcon. he just flames people. anyway lets wait for genesis and see what happens. we can then make a better and more accurate decision.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
dont waste your time talking to falcon. he just flames people. anyway lets wait for genesis and see what happens. we can then make a better and more accurate decision.
And you dodge bans. Yeeeeaaaaaaaah. And Marioblaze the fact you just quoted him for that makes you look really, really stupid.

I think I'm on the admin's better side compared to you.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Falcon just gets pissed at people's stupidity. He's in the minority of intelligent Smashers, and whether you're on his side or not, he'll be sure to correct you.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Did you just quote BOB SAGAT for support?

Make a better choice next time, like Hitler, Cancer, AIDS, or suffering in general.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
you took the words straight out of my mouth. Mk is bending metagames by his dominance.

A temp ban will change things. A lot. We will have straight matagames, and brawl will be at a point of maximum develpoment.

But when Mk comes back, he will change everything again.
Way to be completely vague.

Please more accurately describe how MK is bending metagames? How, exactly, does MK shut out metagames of other characters? All he really is is a bad match-up to a lot of characters, but that shouldn't keep a character from developing.

A temp ban will change things. A lot.
How, exactly?

We will have straight matagames,
How are metagames not straight as they are? And how does temp banning MK make them straighter?

and brawl will be at a point of maximum develpoment.
lolwut.

Also, to address another point because I'm almost certain it will be brought up when quoting this post or something: nobody is forced to switch to MK. Nobody. People who use non-tourney-viable characters like Link don't HAVE to switch to MK to win. People who use tourney viable characters like D3 or Snake don't HAVE to switch to MK to win x bad match-up. MK is forcing nobody to switch to him. People are choosing to, yes, but it's nothing that a secondary couldn't do.

Really, there's no need to completely switch to MK from an already good main. Say I'm a Snake main and I don't want to fight a D3. I could switch to MK, yes, or I could switch to Falco, both of which are good options against the match-up.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Make a better choice next time, like Hitler, Cancer, AIDS, or suffering in general.
I havent laughed so hard in quite some time. Thank you.

And uh, seriously guys, stop talking out of your ***** like ****ing morons about how a temp ban will magically boost every character's metagame. It's not MK's fault your character isn't supposedly developed, IT'S YOURS, SO SHUT THE HELL UP AND DEAL WITH IT.

BOB SAGET

Smash Apprentice
Tu non parlo italiano. Tu parli Smash. Vero Smashers e intelligente, anche non vero Smashers e mas non intelligente.

And I'm only in Italian 1 :p

EDIT:

You don't talk Italian. You talk Smash. True Smashers are intelligent, but untrue Smashers are very non-intelligent.
u didnt have to give me the translation, i know how speak italiano fluently. anyway good job. if your not italian or part italian. your not like other americans. u know languages other than english and it makes yourself look good. good job! i think we should just wait for genesis and by then we'll see how the metagame developed and if MK should be banned.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Brawl's not bad. Brawl's defensive and slow paced, but so is chess. Chess is an extremely defensive game- even aggressive moves are usually designed to force your opponent to give up pieces to defend their king. It's also boring to watch, and kind of boring to play at lower levels of play when you can't keep track of all of your options and don't fully grasp the intricacies. Just like Brawl, IMHO.
IMO:
Brawl = chess

*Claps*

This is the truth about brawl: It's far more a stragety game than a fighting game. Just because people don't like stragety games doesn't mean you need to say they suck.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
u didnt have to give me the translation, i know how speak italiano fluently. anyway good job. if your not italian or part italian. your not like other americans. u know languages other than english and it makes yourself look good. good job! i think we should just wait for genesis and by then we'll see how the metagame developed and if MK should be banned.
No, we shouldn't. The only reason that people brought up waiting for Genesis is because of WHOBO. The Top MK's weren't even there. Stop trying to appease the masses, people.

NO BAN FOR META-KNIGHT, NO BAN WITHOUT A FIGHT!

Sieguest

Smash Master
A temp ban will straighten the meta games of all of the other characters. Thus making them better in an easier way.

When Mk comes back we can do one of two things.

1) If he is still broken compared to the other characters, then ban him.
2) If he isn't then don't ban him.
good point. Although I think in my opinion that people have been too busy trying to find a strategy to trump Mk instead of tactics that are effective against any opponent in general, true that every character is different, there is still the option of people finding out all the special things their character can do, practicing their spacing and all the other tricks of the trade. Which I think, will greatly improve each character's metagames to be on par with Mk's. I mean, I don't really have too much trouble with Mk with the exception of some really good players, so i may be just a little one sided.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A temp ban is stupid and only serves to illustrate your indecisiveness even further. Either pick a side or admit you aren't on one.

A temp ban will also not help things at all because guess which matchup your character is not preparing for as a result?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Everyone should just do what the Lucario boards are doing. Make a new topic about how to deal with MK. 'Cause I'm pretty sure that everyone has ONE move that they can capitalize on. Like in Lucario vs Marth, our F-Smash outranges EVERYTHING that Marth has. Capitalizing on F-Smash is important for the matchup.

Oh, and take the Pokemon League Challenges. And edited version can be found in the Lucario Gym Battle Speed Run topic on the Lucario boards. This challenge helps you to overcome your character's weaknesses and play a more well rounded character that can capitalize on moves. Best of all, all you need are CPU's!

BOB SAGET

Smash Apprentice

well maybe you should learn how to spell "SAGET" before acting like a smart ***. dont flame me.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Some of my old posts. Copied and pasted.

MK has:

1) 0 bad match ups
Arguable. A huge amount of people would agree that he has quite a few even ones, and some would say that there are match-ups on certain stages, or just in general that are slightly in the opponent's favor. Even if he didn't, Sagat in SF4 has no bad match-ups and is far from being banned, so this alone is a moot argument.

2) 0 bad stages
Diddy, Wario, and Snake all don't have bad stages either. Plus, he does have bad stages against certain match-ups. FD is a bad stage for him against Diddy. Halberd is a bad stage for him against Snake. etc.,

3) A growing spam wave
I'm not sure if you mean that his character spams, which is completely irrelevant, or that people are switching to use him, which also isn't that relevant. Just because a lot of people use a character doesn't mean he should be banned.

4) Too much tier dominance
You're holding WAY TOO MUCH WEIGHT on the tier list. The tier list is not the all-knowing rock that tells knowledge of exactly how characters are in relation to each other. It's very debatable and very outdated. MK having his own tier, honestly, means nothing. Snake has his own tier too if we ban MK. Should we ban Snake too?

5) Covers all 6 characteristics by using bypasses.
What characteristics/bypasses are you talking about?

6) A LOT of tourney scene dominance.
How much a lot is I'm not sure, but yes he's easily the best placing character at large tournaments. However, not only is this to be expected by the best character in the game, but again, if we ban MK (almost double the points of Snake) then Snake has nearly double the points of D3, and it's the same situation.

7) Easy learning curve
Semi-irrelevant. Yeah, if you don't know the match-up at all, you can get beat by a 1 day old MK. But at high levels of play (where the ban really matters) this isn't as apparent and isn't as important.

8) Landslide victories
Not sure what this means. He has good match-ups? Against most of the tourney-viable characters, his advantage is no more than 60:40 (subjective numbers true, but translate that to a slight advantage).

9) Sensible movestrings off stage, on stage
Arguably, Wario, Kirby, TL, Puff, and many others have this too.

kozimoto

Smash Journeyman
Niagara Falls NY. US , Strasbourg, France
I'm gonna have to stay with keeping him unbanned because he is definityly beatable.

lol, i personally dislike snake more than meta but im not going to touch on that.

Its not going to even help anything....all major tournies are just going to scroll down the tier list to snake and if not snake you have DDD and the list keeps going =/

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
A temp ban is stupid and only serves to illustrate your indecisiveness even further. Either pick a side or admit you aren't on one.

A temp ban will also not help things at all because guess which matchup your character is not preparing for as a result?
OH OH OH I THINK I KNOW THIS ONE.

Is it Meta Knight!!!??
omgyes
10omgyeses

.AC.

Smash Lord

i am not sure but i think it is to see what results are obtained and also to see if the same players keep placing well.it could also be to show what characters take the top places

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I said it several pages ago, and I'll say it again.

A temp ban is a really dumb idea.

It accomplishes nothing except to give people a short break and then reintroduce MK when everyone is no longer prepared for it by daily fighting top MK players.

Sieguest

Smash Master
OH OH OH I THINK I KNOW THIS ONE.

Is it Meta Knight!!!??
Ding Ding Ding! Congratulations, you won the grand prize of 1 dollar. hurray! (who wants to be a dollaraire?)

to Ankoku: why prepare for one matchup, because all of your strategies become tweaked in the direction of that one character?

I still stand that a temp ban is useless and shouldn't even be an option, and that people just need to develop themselves more before calling MK broken. If you still can't beat Mk, go back training, learn something new...

kozimoto

Smash Journeyman
Niagara Falls NY. US , Strasbourg, France

I completely agree, how will people learn to play against MKwith other characters if nobody can use him???

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Way to be completely vague.

Please more accurately describe how MK is bending metagames? How, exactly, does MK shut out metagames of other characters? All he really is is a bad match-up to a lot of characters, but that shouldn't keep a character from developing.

How, exactly?

How are metagames not straight as they are? And how does temp banning MK make them straighter?

lolwut.

Also, to address another point because I'm almost certain it will be brought up when quoting this post or something: nobody is forced to switch to MK. Nobody. People who use non-tourney-viable characters like Link don't HAVE to switch to MK to win. People who use tourney viable characters like D3 or Snake don't HAVE to switch to MK to win x bad match-up. MK is forcing nobody to switch to him. People are choosing to, yes, but it's nothing that a secondary couldn't do.

Really, there's no need to completely switch to MK from an already good main. Say I'm a Snake main and I don't want to fight a D3. I could switch to MK, yes, or I could switch to Falco, both of which are good options against the match-up.
I answered all of these questions numerous times in this thread. When a broken character comes into play, most characters metagame are "bent" to make that character win against the broken character instead of the rest of the cast as a whole.

And I am now convinced that a temp ban is useless. the sbr should either go big or go home.

BOB SAGET

Smash Apprentice
And you dodge bans. Yeeeeaaaaaaaah. And Marioblaze the fact you just quoted him for that makes you look really, really stupid.

I think I'm on the admin's better side compared to you.
way to go! u enjoy being the admins pet. u obviously wont be expecting to get any infraction points for calling another member "really, really stupid." of course u can flame all u want because your on the admins "better side" u say your on the admins better side , so wats your point?

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna have to stay with keeping him unbanned because he is definityly beatable.

lol, i personally dislike snake more than meta but im not going to touch on that.

Its not going to even help anything....all major tournies are just going to scroll down the tier list to snake and if not snake you have DDD and the list keeps going =/
Of course mk is beatable, but the problem is that he is so good that he is overcentralizing the metagame. The amount of mk players is disproportionate to the amount of serious smash players.

If mk is banned, then a lot of players will play snake, but snake isn't nearly as far ahead of other characters as mk. MK has not true counters, his worst matchups run about even, snake has counters unlike mk, as does D3.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
way to go! u enjoy being the admins pet. u obviously wont be expecting to get any infraction points for calling another member "really, really stupid." of course u can flame all u want because your on the admins "better side" u say your on the admins better side , so wats your point?
I'm not the admin's pet, you're taking my statement and straw manning the **** out of it. I've called you out and sheer ignorance and unfounded statements, you keep making them, and the admins ban you, and you avoided the ban.

THE POINT IS YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO ****ING BE HERE YOU BLOODY FOOL.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Who care's? No...I don't get why people think he's best. In my opinion. I think he's really cheap!
Wow, way to contribute to the discussion.

You dont know why we think he's the best...you just think he's 'cheap'. How are we supposed to be taking you seriously right now?

BOB SAGET

Smash Apprentice
I'm not the admin's pet, you're taking my statement and straw manning the **** out of it. I've called you out and sheer ignorance and unfounded statements, you keep making them, and the admins ban you, and you avoided the ban.

THE POINT IS YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO ****ING BE HERE YOU BLOODY FOOL.
i got banned for the TR4Q thread. not for my statements.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Not really.

If you're talking about overall metagames, Diddy's metagame isn't completely altered just to cope with MK. Neither is Fox's. Neither is Wario's. Neither is anyones. No character's overall development is halted and twisted around because of MK. MK isn't even the worst match-up for a LOT of characters, only one I can really think of is Marth.

If you're talking about individual match-ups...some are supposed to change your style of play. I play how I play against ICs the same way against Snakes, the same way against MK, etc.

So still, I'm not understanding how character's metagames are bent because of MK. With MK gone, a lot of characters still have to worry about a horrible match-up like Pika for Fox, D3 for Donkey Kong, Peach for Olimar, etc.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Assumptions...

people just need to develop themselves more before calling MK broken. If you still can't beat Mk, go back training, learn something new...
This statement assumes that people who CAN beat MK, automatically dont believe hes broken anymore. This is not true. I personally can beat good Mks, but I still believe that he is too over powered to be in tourney play.

The second part of this quote assumes that nobody will play this character since they are now effectively worthless in tournaments. This is also untrue, seeing as there are many people that play captain falcon outside of tournaments, seeing as hes a fun character, but they understand that CF is effectively worthless in tourney as well. If CF gets so much friendly play, how can you be sure that MK wont?

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
With a temporary ban, it's not like the progression of mk's metagame will grind to a halt. People will keep advancing him as a character in hopes to help them when he gets unbanned. Obviously they need to go all or nothing with the ban.

BOB SAGET

Smash Apprentice
Well at least you can admit you shouldn't be here.
i should be here. i got banned for points i got way before. those points lasted about a month i got so many of them that if i got 1 more point i'd be banned. thats how i got banned a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom