• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Ally beat him this one time

if Ally's snake keeps beating M2K's MK, then we have a thing to base this off of.

At the moment i dont think 1 match (set?) should be enough..even with 2 of the best players
It could also mean *gasp* Ally is as good a player (Or nearly as good) as M2K, and Snake vs. MK is known to be a close matchup.

In other words, absolutely nothing has changed with this.

Even if Ally's Snake keeps beating M2K, it will simply show Ally is better than M2K. It will not show MK is not broken, because nobody has disagreed that Snake vs. MK is a close match.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Ally is just another name of a person who has beat M2K.

NinjaLink (twice with Diddy), Lain (Apex 2-0 wth ICs), Ally (Apex 3-1 with Snake) have all taken sets of of M2K (there might be others, i dunno). And, M2K being the epitome of MK's metagame, it's only fair to say that those 3 different characters have done something to show that even the biggest pro (M2K) with the biggest character (MK) CAN lose... Meaning it's not a "winning option"... Just a character that's easy to learn, with good rewards.
NO!! Think of every time M2K got beat since he got good. Its a pretty short list. Notice something about all of those times, but this one. He was playing against a non-top tier char. M2K loosing against snake, a matchup he's knows this well is insane. This NEVER happens. nl beat him with diddy because m2k didn't know diddy. mango beats him with puff because he doesn't know puff. but m2k knows snake and still lost. That's crazy.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
NO!! Think of every time M2K got beat since he got good. Its a pretty short list. Notice something about all of those times, but this one. He was playing against a non-top tier char. M2K loosing against snake, a matchup he's knows this well is insane. This NEVER happens. nl beat him with diddy because m2k didn't know diddy. mango beats him with puff because he doesn't know puff. but m2k knows snake and still lost. That's crazy.
Uhh... Thanks for reinforcing my claim, I guess... o_O

... if that's what you were trying to do... O_o

JOE!

Smash Hero
It could also mean *gasp* Ally is as good a player (Or nearly as good) as M2K, and Snake vs. MK is known to be a close matchup.

In other words, absolutely nothing has changed with this.

Even if Ally's Snake keeps beating M2K, it will simply show Ally is better than M2K. It will not show MK is not broken, because nobody has disagreed that Snake vs. MK is a close match.
yeah, so why are people freaking over this? M2K lost a close matchup, who knows, Ally could have just been on the ball perfectly.

also, people couldve have gone to apex with the mindset of: "BEAT MK!!!111eleven!!"

*shrug*

(neutral on the ban btw...)

salaboB

Smash Champion
yeah, so why are people freaking over this? M2K lost a close matchup, who knows, Ally could have just been on the ball perfectly.

also, people couldve have gone to apex with the mindset of: "BEAT MK!!!111eleven!!"

*shrug*

I don't know. I find it slightly hilarious how insulting anti-ban got though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
M2K was sandbagging because the Iluminati did 9/11 and in 2012 california will fall off the side of the earth which is flat

Player-1

Smash Legend

*shrug*

people are freaking over this because the pro-ban side seemed so sure that MK was going to dominate this tournament, and look at the results, 3 MKs in the top 10, + you guys would've done the same. It's the irony.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
M2K was sandbagging because the Iluminati did 9/11 and in 2012 california will fall off the side of the earth which is flat
I also like sandbagging to those facts.

EDIT: "YES" dropped by .20% as soon as Ally beat M2K. lawl :p

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The claim that this single set is enough to solidify the assertion that MK is not ban-worthy, is outright ridiculous. M2K beat Ally at CoT4 too, why doesn't that mean anything? What if that single grenade wasn't there when M2K did that uthrow, would M2K still be broken?

Using a single set as evidence for anything is silly. As far as I'm concerned, there were 3 MKs in the top 8 and one went to the grand finals. MK still ***** WHOBO, M2K still wins almost every tourney he attends, etc.

I'm neither pro-ban nor anti-ban, but attempting to use this single set as grounds for backing your statement is foolish.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure anti-ban is using the tournament as a whole, not just the set. They would still have a strong case even if M2K won.

Master Raven

Smash Master
It should also be noted that Candy, the best Snake on the EC, beat Dojo, even though Dojo ***** DSF's Snake quite bad at WHOBO.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The claim that this single set is enough to solidify the assertion that MK is not ban-worthy, is outright ridiculous. M2K beat Ally at CoT4 too, why doesn't that mean anything? What if that single grenade wasn't there when M2K did that uthrow, would M2K still be broken?

Using a single set as evidence for anything is silly. As far as I'm concerned, there were 3 MKs in the top 8 and one went to the grand finals. MK still ***** WHOBO, M2K still wins almost every tourney he attends, etc.

I'm neither pro-ban nor anti-ban, but attempting to use this single set as grounds for backing your statement is foolish.
Not just Ally, but Reflex, NinjaLink (twice), and now Lain also (dunno about others)... That's 5 people who have taken sets off of M2K... 5 sets are more than 1 set... And if you still say that it's not enough, then wHOBO isn't enough evidence, because it's just 1 tournament. If 5 sets isn't enough, then come back with more than 5 major tourney results in which MK ***** the placings, thankyouverymuch.

What I bolded, I bolded because it just shows how stuck to past statistics you are. MK ***** wHOBO... But what happened in APEX? Top 10 had 3 MKs, well guess what? It also had 3 Snakes, 3 DDDs and 2 Diddys. Are they also overcentralizing? I don't think so.
Results:
1. Ally (Snake)
2. Mew2King (Metaknight)
3. Lain (IC's/DDD)
4. Anti (Metaknight/Snake/DDD)
5. Atomsk (DDD)
5. Ksizzle (Metaknight)
7. Anther (Pikachu)
7. ADHD? (Diddy Kong)
9. Candy (Snake)
9. Ninjalink (Diddy Kong)

Is this right?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I can't help but wonder what the attitude about Metaknight going into the tournament affected the game of the Metaknight players. Not saying that they purposely blew the match, but to have your main being issued for a possible ban is pretty disheartening.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Smart MKs would need to be honest about not sandbagging, because sooner or later if they had kept doing that then people would start noticing that ****.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
MK should not be banned because as you all probably saw, it is possible to beat him. Even at a 35-65 disadvantage.
I assume you speak of the ICers.
Yeah, let's look at that.

M2k's 1st set against Lain.
He gets CG'd all over the place.
M2K goes to loser brackets via 2-0.

M2k meets Lain again in Loser's Finals.
M2k gets grabbed once the whole set.
M2k 3-0s Lain to the Finals.

yeah, anyone can beat MK when he sandbags and does **** that helps your side of the matchup.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I can't help but wonder what the attitude about Metaknight going into the tournament affected the game of the Metaknight players. Not saying that they purposely blew the match, but to have your main being issued for a possible ban is pretty disheartening.
If I was an MK main (or even MK user), I wouldn't care about my main being banned, I'd go for the money! $$$$$ is quite the motivator, I assure you. ;)

salaboB

Smash Champion
It should also be noted that Candy, the best Snake on the EC, beat Dojo, even though Dojo ***** DSF's Snake quite bad at WHOBO.
It should also be noted that Snake ~= MK.

The matchup is known and accepted to be close. So both Dojo and M2K were beaten by... Snake.

Woo? Break out the champagne, we've got verification that Snake vs. MK is a close match!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It should also be noted that Snake ~= MK.

The matchup is known and accepted to be close. So both Dojo and M2K were beaten by... Snake.

Woo? Break out the champagne, we've got verification that Snake vs. MK is a close match!
Yeah, gimme some of that champagne! We've got verification that MK has a hard time with Snake! Now we know that instead of going MK dittos, we'd have as good a chance by using Snake, too!

... So much for maining MK and breezing through tourneys, eh? Both pros, top MK mainers, and they lost to Snakes... The picture is MUCH bigger than just "Snake is close vs. MK".

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If I was an MK main (or even MK user), I wouldn't care about my main being banned, I'd go for the money! $$$$$ is quite the motivator, I assure you. ;)
Still though, the stress on me would be gigantic, and would distract me from the match. Its like an olympic runner who hears that if he wins he'll get shot at the end.

He is still going to try to win, but **** will he be distracted.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Also I'm pretty sure other MKs lost to ICs, as well as other matchups. Wait for the brackets to be released. Snake wasn't the only one to beat top metaknights.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Yeah, gimme some of that champagne! We've got verification that MK has a hard time with Snake! Now we know that instead of going MK dittos, we'd have as good a chance by using Snake, too!

... So much for maining MK and breezing through tourneys, eh? Both pros, top MK mainers, and they lost to Snakes... The picture is MUCH bigger than just "Snake is close vs. MK".
Except that Snake still has disadvantaged matchups to get to that point, while MK just has a series of at worst 50:50 matches.

Nothing has changed from this.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh, and the ICs chain grab, that should not be banned by the way. NO WAY. There grab range is to small. It takes far to much skill, and I saw pros mess it up several times at APEX.
It is high risk high reward for the ICs. Leave it as is.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Except that Snake still has disadvantaged matchups to get to that point, while MK just has a series of at worst 50:50 matches.

Nothing has changed from this.
A lot of good disadvantageous matchups do at top levels of play, Lain couldn't even take one match from Ally as DDD (all 3). If anything, the disadvantages are much more notable at lower levels of play... The tougher the competition, the harder it is to exploit those weaknesses.

In other words... SO what if Snake has disadvantages? It's been proven time and again those disadvantages can be overcome at the top levels of play! Snake has beaten DDD too many times, same as IC's have beaten MKs, Falcos have beaten Marths, etc etc etc... Mention any low level matches in which these events have happened, and you'll find out that the smarter the player, the smarter the decisions... Therefore, the better performance by the disadvantaged character, POSSIBLY leading into victory.

Still though, the stress on me would be gigantic, and would distract me from the match. Its like an olympic runner who hears that if he wins he'll get shot at the end.

He is still going to try to win, but **** will he be distracted.
Good point. Still, I think that example is too intense... I'd say "To hell with this race! I won't even have a life to spend the money with!". However, I understand what you mean. :p

Maybe not DISTRACTED by that fact, more like... Purposefully going to end up 2nd or 3rd in order to avoid being shot, yet doing good overall.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
rofl at all of the pro-bans trying to justify ally beating m2k.

Mk is beatable. M2k is on a mental skill level higher than many brawl players because of his skill/mindgames in melee.

Ban MK for diversity? There were only 3 MKs (only 2 of them were MK mains) in the top 10 of APEX. Compared to like 4-5 Marths in an average Melee tournament?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I assume you speak of the ICers.
Yeah, let's look at that.

M2k's 1st set against Lain.
He gets CG'd all over the place.
M2K goes to loser brackets via 2-0.

M2k meets Lain again in Loser's Finals.
M2k gets grabbed once the whole set.
M2k 3-0s Lain to the Finals.

yeah, anyone can beat MK when he sandbags and does **** that helps your side of the matchup.
Or M2K figured out how Lain's IC play.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Most of you are now saying that we should not ban MK because Ally beat a Meta Knight.

That's the dumbest claim/worst logic ever. Just because someone beat one player does not mean jack crap. We are talking about what benefits the COMMUNITY not what benefits top players. We are talking about

high level players
mid to moderate players
and newcomers into the community.

The tornado and shuttle loop are the dumbest moves in the history of smash brothers. That, and it's nearly impossible to GIMP a Meta Knight. Meta Knight has so many options that if you are not constantly mixing your game up, you're a moron.

This is Meta Knight:

Melee Marth with wings.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Or M2K figured out how Lain's IC play.
Rite. Because, you know, going into the match with Lain, M2K didn't know to not get grabbed by IC. He didn't know that MK >>>>> IC's grab range. :confused:

salaboB

Smash Champion
A lot of good disadvantageous matchups do at top levels of play, Lain couldn't even take one match from Ally as DDD (all 3). If anything, the disadvantages are much more notable at lower levels of play... The tougher the competition, the harder it is to exploit those weaknesses.
So what's being said is Lain < Ally.

This doesn't change anything, either.
Rite. Because, you know, going into the match with Lain, M2K didn't know to not get grabbed by IC. He didn't know that MK >>>>> IC's grab range. :confused:
It's entirely possible he didn't know the setups that Lain would use to go for the chaingrabs, and the time it took him to figure it out was enough to give Lain the first match.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Most of you are now saying that we should not ban MK because Ally beat a Meta Knight.

That's the dumbest claim/worst logic ever. Just because someone beat one player does not mean jack crap. We are talking about what benefits the COMMUNITY not what benefits top players. We are talking about

high level players
mid to moderate players
and newcomers into the community.

The tornado and shuttle loop are the dumbest moves in the history of smash brothers. That, and it's nearly impossible to GIMP a Meta Knight. Meta Knight has so many options that if you are not constantly mixing your game up, you're a moron.

This is Meta Knight:

Melee Marth with wings.
the rules are not based around anything BUT top level play because that is what really matters. Plus the main argument is overcentralization which is also disproved as 2 mk mains were top 10. Good players can get around the tornado. There really isnt a need to gimp a meta as he is very light, at least no where near as necessary as say, snake since he lives forever. Everyone knows meta has alot of options, that is one thing that makes him the best character, but the best is just that. Every game has a best with great options and such. Hes not broken and especially not banable.

playstyle is what he meant, he fell for lains mindgames into grabs but then learned his playstyle and that led him to his later victory.

So what's being said is Lain < Ally.

This doesn't change anything, either.
yes it does, it shows that bad matchups are much more noticable in lower levels as higher levels it is MUCH more player to player than character to character (a staple in lower levels)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom