• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coney

Smash Master
Here's an idea:

Keep all the character models, just give them Metaknight's moveset!

Tada! Everyone gets a two-frame down smash.

NOW TELL ME THATS NOT BALANCED.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
planking will not need to be banned even if MK gets banned, he's the only character that can abuse it.
I fixed it for you. To be fair, other characters can make use of planking, a couple can even make pretty good use of it. Nobody else can abuse it though. There isn't a character in the game that can't break rob or gw's plank game.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
oh, so its not Metaknights capability that allows him to plank so well?
Thanks to MK's capabilities, players can choose whether or not to plank. They are under no pressure, it actually all does depend on what the player feels he will do better with. Some people prefer turning the tides and keeping the small lead by planking, while others prefer to just get things over with rather than wait 7 minutes, just regrabbing the ledge 5 times (gliding under the stage every once in a while), then touching ground, rinse and repeat.

DDD's will switch out when they face an Ice climber of an Olimar.
Big dea MK is ANOTHER choice among several.

he is used often ebcause he can also handle everything else not just the CG's and the camping.
I know, that's my point. Out of the whole cast, people pick him out, not because he has one advantage over DDD, but many advantages and no notable disadvantages. Sonic has a couple of disadvantages that doesn't concern DDD (like killing options), as do Olimar and Falco (recovery). MK has none.

*facepalm.
The purpose of their mentioning is toexplain the criteria of the ban.
WHhy ignore something that is being used as support?

How are those player dependant when they are the result of his capabilities.
All the player does is choose to do them.
Planking and IDC are part of his capability.
Hence player-dependant. Some players would rather do something else. You don't see every MK main planking when they gain % leads.

Oh there was a vote? There was a vote wher epeople asi, hey peepz, we got a character with invincible legs, game breaking fireball, and nasty combos that **** the entire cast. You wanna vote?

No.
He was debated by the upper echelon of the community, the people who understood how Akuma played and what he could do.
He was debated, and they ended up agreeing that Akuma would be better off banned. If they had the option of "banning or not", then they ended up voting... Unless a single person was the one to say he had to be banned.

You could not win unless you played Akuma.
Thats overcentralizing.
So, what are you arguing?
Hence why he was banned. There was no way you could beat him, winning tourneys with other people besides Akuma was out-of-the-question, as long as Akumas were wandering the competitive field. MK is not the case, as we can see by tourney results. Hence, the severity of MK's dominance hasn't even gotten close to Akuma's level.

*facedesk*
This ban criteria is the CORE of deciding what to ban or what not to ba.

magical Scientist OTK in yu-gi-oh.
Play this deck or lose. Thats overcentralizing.
Akuma in SF2. Overcentralizing.
Ravager in MTG. Overcentralizing

Hey look, they all hve the same property where its a "play this deck/character/tactic" or lose scenario. Where it all fell down to using this one deck.
Thats overcentralizing by nature.

It isnt just what other communities is doing, this is the result of over a decade of competitive gaming.
Hence why they created ban lists, and deck limits. To help diversify, since you NEEDED to have those in order to win. Which is not the case with MK. People win with other characters, not just with MK, and it's not a rare sight either... If MK is such a good character, why has he been eliminated countless times in tourneys? He's won A LOT, but he's also lost A LOT. Seems rather non-bannable to me, which is great, since you're anti-ban too, so we're both on the same page.

This is the competitive community. Fun has no place.
If it was egal, I woud IDC.
if Akuma was legal, I would use him.
This is play to win, not play to have fun.
So, you're telling me that people are attracted to games because they want the rewards, rather than being attracted at the thought of having some enjoyable moments? PlayToWin IS a large part of the competitive scene, but enjoying it also has its place in it. If it were just PlayToWin, EVERY SINGLE COMPETITIVE PLAYER would be using MK, and Akuma would not have been banned. After all, him being there hindered the enjoyment iof the game for a couple of people since it was the same thing over and over again, hence part of the community leaving the competitive scene until the ban took place. Obviously some people stayed and changed their mains to Akuma in order to be competent, and that's a similar example like the one we have now in Brawl: even though most competent MKs aren't impossible to best (nor extremely difficult), people still see MK as comparable to Akuma, when in reality, Akuma was the literal definiton of broken, not a twisted one like people say MK is.

No I understand full wel what you are saying the tihng is that your arguments have no place in the criteria for a ban. At least, not the way you are saying it.
Because some of my arguments aren't directed at pointing out the criterias for a ban! They're made to show the people who whine that MK is unbeatable, that Mk is ACTUALLY beatable, and that there's proof in the tourney results! That's the sad thing about the internet... Things get mixed up too quickly.

oh hey, lets debate the why behind the debate even though it serves no purpose.
All those why's are meaningless.
There is no true third option.
He is either banned or he is not.
That is how powerful a ban is, you cant have some middle ground.

Which is why we should be so reluctant to ban.
You cannot stop a character from using a move, you cannot force the player to use the character sometimes.
He is either banned or not.
Which is why I'm anti-ban, and not in the 'not sure' category, or looking for answers besides NOT banning him.

Ninjalink.
malcolm.
Cue other people who have beaten MK but want him banned anyway.
You are making an assumption of the source of the argument.
Rather than trying to refute the argument itself.
Why?
It does not matter if I cant beat MK, or if I were to 3 stock M2K everytime (laugh at that idea).
All that matters is my argument and whether it is sound.
You find your argument sound because of your logic, I find my argument sound because of MY logic, and they find their arguments sound because of THEIR logic. Hence the persuasion...

So I guess they beat MKs and are still proban, huh? They outsmarted their opponent, or their opponent underestimated them, or theuir opponents didn't know the matchup, etc etc... Whatever reason, they feel like next time it won't go so well for them. Knowing that MK can punish just about anything he wants, makes people want to ban him, since there is no exact safe way to approach.

If you are too good that means you are ban worthy. Because you are too good. Hence the too preceding good.

MK is just a good character.
So, should we ban M2K for being too good?

have you ever in your life played SF2?
You would know that Akuma vs Balrog=death for Balrog in the hand of a COMPETENT player.
In other words, for Balrog to win, his opponent nees to have very, very little skill.
Thats how good Akuma is.
Hence the "he outskilled his opponents by a lot".

The issue is whether the skill required is reasonable.
As in, your opponent does not need to be mentally ******** in order for them to lose while using Akuma.
The best Balrog will ALWAYS lose the a decent Akuma.
Thats how broken Akuma is.
Decent MKs lose against other characters besies MKs. So do Good MKs, and apparently, top-level MKs, if M2K lost to NinjaLink. This by itself shows that MK doesn't follow Akuma's steps.

THat is completely unreasonable.

Just beause he is theoretically beatable does not justify the character remaining legal.
Again Akuma.
Theoretically beatable.
By your logic, just because he is theoretically beatable, he cannot be banned.

MK is MUCH more beatable than someone like AKuma.
That is the difference.
he is within reasonable bounds.
Your opponent can play his best and beat the opponent.

He isnt like Akuma who no matter how hard you try, you will lose unless your opponent cannot press the button.
Hence why MK shouldn't be banned, and Akuma was. If it was THAT easy to win, no wonder he was banned so fast. MK can't claim victory as easy as Akuma, not even CLOSE. A skill-less MK will lose even agains the lowest tier, if the lowest tier knows how to avoid MK's punishment options.

Ice Climbers in melee. You tell me.
Ice Climbers were amazing in melee, but they're not a good example of what I'm trying to say, because their infinites, even though they took forever to perfect, they took too much time and patience to learn... Plus, their infinites could be evaded if you knew how they set up for them.

If there was a character whose unbeatable infinite combo depended on actions taken on a SINGLE FRAME out of the whole attack, it's still a character trait. Would it make the character bannable, even if his infinite was absurdly hard to implement, not to mention impossible to use as stalling purposes?

he isnt even. Sooo...whats your point?
Some people argue that Diddy in FD is 50/50. Sounds even to me, even if the MK DOES strike FD whenever possible... Doesn't mean it won't randomly appear as a neutral and earn the diddy the first game.

you are presenting arguments that do not aid in proving MK not ban worthy.
Bringing up player dependant behavior does nothing. its not part of ban criteria.
Some people want to ban MK for his planking potential, whereas not many MKs even plank, because they DECIDE not to. By deciding, you make a decision. What your decision is depends on YOU. YOU are the player. Therefore, planking is a player-dependent decision.

PLanking, the result of a characters capabilities.
infinite dimensional cape, result of character capability
Or are you saying the player wishes these things into existence?
The player wishes to exploit these bad choices. Whether or not these things are found doesn't matter, the thing uis, they completely go against some people's strategies, and as soon as they change from "rushing" to "stalling", it's obvious that these "character capabilities would be better off NOT bheing used. If a player would have to stop all he was doing (which would be normal for him) just to run away and start one of these strategies, then we could safely assume the player decided on stopping his normal strategy in order to implement a dirty one for the sake of winning, be it fair or unfair in all levels of gaming.

Wooooow. I can't believe you YOU JUST TOOK MY POST AND COMPLETELY REMOVED EVERYTHING ELSE!

Now for anyone reading here is the part kewkky did not include.
Cuz I just wanted to use a bit of what you said, so you knew what I was replying to. Unlike YOU, who quote and write "stuff" and "other stuff", whcih for people like me, make it hard for us figuring out what you're answering to.

Let alone that what you said, has nothing do with anything i mentioned.
Why are you mentioning tournament results? Hmm?
Because my arguments weren't about "banning requirements", they were about people saying "MK is unbeatable, he should be banned!".

I am trolling you?
So I am basically pulling a mango/dmbrandon?
Well, all you decide to post here are criticisms against people's points, whether or not they're talking about ban criteria. All I see you doing is trying to fit "MK isn't broken and unbeatable!" pieces into "MK isn't ban-worthy!" puzzles.

I will rip up BOTH the pro ban and anti ban when they say something stupid.
Me being anti ban isn't going to stop me from pointing out flawed arguments.

Stop using flawed arguments and I will not jump on your case.
They're flawed to people with different logics than mine, whereas to me, they might be weak at some points, but they all make perfect sense to me. Same as you and your logic... If life was so simple that everyone would see the same things as others are seeing, we wouldn't have so many problems in this world of ours.

Keep ripping up arguments. It's up to them whether they defend their points, or accept defeat and let you correct them. Me, I'm defending my point, because I started out talking about people who whine about MK being too broken and unbeatable, whereas you dragged me further and further towards the "MK doesn't fit the ban criteria" part of the thread.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Sure, but nobody ever considered banning Doc.

My point is that you would think if two characters were seriously that bad, they wouldn't be so low on the tier list. That's like us deciding we think Pokemon Trainer's Fatigue mechanic isn't what Smash is about, so we should ban him.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
They're flawed to people with different logics than mine, whereas to me, they might be weak at some points, but they all make perfect sense to me. Same as you and your logic... If life was so simple that everyone would see the same things as others are seeing, we wouldn't have so many problems in this world of ours.
If you aren't using the logic commonly known as 'logic', you really should say so.
It's hard to evaluate an argument without knowing what system to apply.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If you aren't using the logic commonly known as 'logic', you really should say so.
It's hard to evaluate an argument without knowing what system to apply.
Some people find it logical that God created the world. Others find it logical that God doesn't exist. A few others find other religions more logical than Christianism.

Different use of the word "logic"? Or different kinds of "logic"? Seems to me the definition varies between topics.

EDIT: And I'm done replying to huge posts... I get tired too fast. I'd much rather let other people do the arguing, even if I do have something to say.

Grand_daddy_purpMasta

Smash Rookie
No he should not be banned; yes I know Metaknight is BS however, the game is only a year old and we have just covered the beginning of strategies, At's and so on. Give it some more time and people will eventually find new ways to play against him better. Also, if Meataknight is banned how will the next really good characters fate be determined? Will they be banned next? "Oh lets get rid of snake his up-tilt is to broken".People are getting to technical and just ****** the game of it's fun, if you start banning characters who knows what will go next?

IC3R

Smash Lord
EDIT: And I'm done replying to huge posts... I get tired too fast. I'd much rather let other people do the arguing, even if I do have something to say.
Pretty much what I do. Just sit back, and watch smart and stupid collide.

But I play Brawl+, so everything works for me regardless...

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
We really should be discussing the whole Seth Being Banned thing I posted on the previous page and how it relates to MK. I don't know enough about SFIV really, but reading the article sounds exactly like MK.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Thanks to MK's capabilities, players can choose whether or not to plank. They are under no pressure, it actually all does depend on what the player feels he will do better with. Some people prefer turning the tides and keeping the small lead by planking, while others prefer to just get things over with rather than wait 7 minutes, just regrabbing the ledge 5 times (gliding under the stage every once in a while), then touching ground, rinse and repeat.
Which has nothing to do with ban criteria.
metaknight can do it.
The player has no issue at all performing the ask when they attempt it.
So again, whats your point?
Everything is player dependent by that logic.

I know, that's my point. Out of the whole cast, people pick him out, not because he has one advantage over DDD, but many advantages and no notable disadvantages. Sonic has a couple of disadvantages that doesn't concern DDD (like killing options), as do Olimar and Falco (recovery). MK has none.
Why are you going off on another tangent?
Why are you jumping from character matchups to character faults.
What does this have to do with character matchups and their relation to MK stopping planking and camping? Which is what we were talking about at this part of the argument?

Hence player-dependant. Some players would rather do something else. You don't see every MK main planking when they gain % leads.
Irrelevant. It is something the character ca perform. Again what is your point? how does this relate to anything said earlier?

He was debated, and they ended up agreeing that Akuma would be better off banned. If they had the option of "banning or not", then they ended up voting... Unless a single person was the one to say he had to be banned.
if one single person said, ban Akuma from SF2, and everyone else said dont ban him.
he would be banned.
Would this change the fact that Akuma is a rapetastic character?
No.
Which is why when they debated, they PROVED him ban worthy. People don't need to agree they need to prove the opposing side wrong.

I put stuff to keep it short.
Again what are you arguing other than adding to what i said earlier?

He's won A LOT, but he's also lost A LOT. Seems rather non-bannable to me, which is great, since you're anti-ban too, so we're both on the same page.
Other part was irrelevant and I cannot udnerstand as to why you are basically agreeing with my statement.

You will always have more newbs than pros.
if I play m2k, he will 3 stock me if he is serious.
Meanwhile, I can beat an average MK user with my Sonic in tournament play.

you have tons of players using different characters get eliminated because they are not good.
hence why people make a big deal about who is winning with who, because you need to be high level to win. Usually.

Who is being eliminated means nothing compared to who is winning.

So, you're telling me that people are attracted to games because they want the rewards, rather than being attracted at the thought of having some enjoyable moments?
Did i not just say COMPETETIVE play?
They dont just play for fun, they play for money and when things are legal they will use it. Cause they want to win.
Simple.

Hence why ban criteria does not involve fun. Fun is subjective.
PlayToWin IS a large part of the competitive scene, but enjoying it also has its place in it.
True but it has no place in ban criteria.

it is true that enjoyment does play a part into why people want a character banned as, in some wahy, part of why they justify the banning.
However, from an objective point of view, it is to maximize the amount of options avilable. The ability to show more skill.

If we play Akuma vs Akuma, the only skill being shown is that of one character. You do not get to see the skill of players using other characters that fit their playstyle.

Because some of my arguments aren't directed at pointing out the criterias for a ban!
Which is meaningless cause that is what I am addressing considering you onstantly mention people not doing well against MK as if it contributes to Mk being ban worthy or not.
They're made to show the people who whine that MK is unbeatable, that Mk is ACTUALLY beatable, and that there's proof in the tourney results! That's the sad thing about the internet... Things get mixed up too quickly.
being beatable is not just enough. its how beatable they are.
Akuma is theoretically beatable, but he is unrealistically difficult to beat.

You find your argument sound because of your logic, I find my argument sound because of MY logic, and they find their arguments sound because of THEIR logic. Hence the persuasion...
You are automatically assuming their logic though.
You are automatically assuming those who cannot beat MK currently want him banned.
You are making an assumption of the opponent which has no relation to the debate.

So I guess they beat MKs and are still proban, huh? They outsmarted their opponent, or their opponent underestimated them, or theuir opponents didn't know the matchup, etc etc... Whatever reason, they feel like next time it won't go so well for them. Knowing that MK can punish just about anything he wants, makes people want to ban him, since there is no exact safe way to approach.
Ninjalink has taken several matches from m2k ater playing him in tournaments.
Shouldn't have sai malcolm though, it makes him seem pro ban and I don't think he is.
Point of the matter though is that just because someone beats the best m2k, doesnt mean they are going to change their mind, some, like KID, fee it enforces the ban.
Since they are beating the player and not the character.

So, should we ban M2K for being too good?
I advocate this idea.

Hence the "he outskilled his opponents by a lot".
Which has no place in ban criteria.

Decent MKs lose against better people playingother characters besides MKs.
Had to add to it.
So do Good MKs, and apparently, top-level MKs, if M2K lost to NinjaLink. This by itself shows that MK doesn't follow Akuma's steps.

THat is completely unreasonable.
Ecept you are using the player as justification to prove he isnt ban worthy.
You arent addressing the characters capabilities as being lesser.
you forget that those players are human, they make mistakes, they may not be playing their best, etc etc.
Hence why you cannot use such examples by themselves.

That is a double edged argument.
That goes for Akuma.
Skill less Akuma<Balrog

It goes both ways.
What matter sis how badly the CHARACTER hurts the game.
Not how the player fails to make that characters abilities known.

Ice Climbers were amazing in melee, but they're not a good example of what I'm trying to say, because their infinites, even though they took forever to perfect, they took too much time and patience to learn... Plus, their infinites could be evaded if you knew how they set up for them.
Correct which means?
Nope.
if the infinite cannot be avoided, it is banned straight out just like IDC.
hence why I mentioned the IC's.

If there was a character whose unbeatable infinite combo depended on actions taken on a SINGLE FRAME out of the whole attack, it's still a character trait. Would it make the character bannable, even if his infinite was absurdly hard to implement, not to mention impossible to use as stalling purposes?
Its impossible to say its not stalling.
MvC2 has damage scaling so its impossible to not get caught stalling with Magneto.
As long as it is possible, peolpe will learn it.
if the infinite is a problem, it gets banned if nothing can be done in the face of it.

Some people argue that Diddy in FD is 50/50. Sounds even to me, even if the MK DOES strike FD whenever possible... Doesn't mean it won't randomly appear as a neutral and earn the diddy the first game.
Its called stage striking for a reason.
You can stage strike and ban (usually).

Let alone that lee argued why he felt it isnt even. I won't debate that though, im not good with diddy. @_@

Some people want to ban MK for his planking potential, whereas not many MKs even plank, because they DECIDE not to. By deciding, you make a decision. What your decision is depends on YOU. YOU are the player. Therefore, planking is a player-dependent decision.
planking is banned outright.
Its not cause they don't want to plank.
Look at plank!
if planking was completely legal you think he would not do it?

Why do you think large tournaments ban it?
If there is money on the line people will do what is the best route for winning.
be it planking, IDC, etc etc.

Who cares its playing to win.
There is no honor in competitive gaming.
If its legal they WILL do it.

Let alone this does nothing for ban criteria and its starting to get on my paience.

Cuz I just wanted to use a bit of what you said, so you knew what I was replying to. Unlike YOU, who quote and write "stuff" and "other stuff", whcih for people like me, make it hard for us figuring out what you're answering to.
Apologies then, I do not like it when I quote large things with small replies.
I will cease using stuff from hence forth when speaking with you then.

Because my arguments weren't about "banning requirements", they were about people saying "MK is unbeatable, he should be banned!".
That works into being ban criteria.
if a character is unbeatable, he is ban worthy.

Yet all of your posts revolve around "get better you're just not doing things right."

Well, all you decide to post here are criticisms against people's points, whether or not they're talking about ban criteria. All I see you doing is trying to fit "MK isn't broken and unbeatable!" pieces into "MK isn't ban-worthy!" puzzles.'
LOL really? Then you obviously have not understood what i have been saying amidst your own thoughts.

You are trying to dispel the notion of MK being broken and unbeatable, by talking about how the player is failing to beat the character.
Now on how the character is beatable for such and such reasons.

Which is why I jumped on your case earlier a few pages back.
Read it, you are addressing how the player is not doing it right which is why he wants MK banned.
Which is meaningless because it does not talk about the argument but the person behind it.

Doesn't matter if their logic differs from yours. You try to prove their logic as being flawed with your own.

Keep ripping up arguments.
Will do.
It's up to them whether they defend their points, or accept defeat and let you correct them. Me, I'm defending my point, because I started out talking about people who whine about MK being too broken and unbeatable, whereas you dragged me further and further towards the "MK doesn't fit the ban criteria" part of the thread.
Which is where you should be.
Why are you arguing about people whining about MK, when the topic is about Mk being ban worthy or not?
of course I'll drag you back to the topic, because talking about whiners and their reasoning doesn't mean a **** thing.

So tell me, what does someone whining about MK, have to do with him being ban worthy or not?
What does talking about the person behind the argument do to the argument?
Does it change their points?
Does it refute them?
its just one big argumentum ad hominem.

Arguing against the man behind the argument. Not the validity of his argument.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
HEY GUYS

http://www.getyourtournament.com/2009/04/wong-prefers-seth-banned-from-tourney.html

THIS DOESN'T SOUND FAMILIAR AT ALL.

Banning Seth from "Street Fighter IV" tournament play would be acceptable in Justin Wong's eyes.

Wong, the famed New York player who won the Gamestop "Street Fighter IV" national championship last weekend, voiced his opinions while a guest on Live On Three earlier Thursday afternoon.

Tournament organizers are still debating whether to ban Seth and Gouken from tournament play. Many tournaments to this point have disallowed the characters, but the tide has turned a little bit.

"If you think about Seth, he's not really a 'Street Fighter IV' character," Wong said. "If you play against him, you really just have to hope for the best, especially if you play a really good Seth."

Wong described an example where a Seth player virtually wins a round if he or she has an ultra ready and their opponent is down to less than 5 percent health. There's little chance to avoid it.

"You're basically forced to eat the ultra," Wong said.

Ryan "Gootecks" Gutierrez, another guest on the show, agreed with Wong.

"It's just something that's not consistent with 'Street Fighter,'" Gutierrez said.

As far as why some tournaments allow Seth, it's probably because players are still learning the character and haven't exposed the character's true strengths.

"No one really knows about Seth's true potential," Wong said. "Further down the line, the more perfect people play him, the harder it is to beat him. He has seven options on a wake up and he can stun you in two combos."

You can practically replace "Seth" with "Metaknight" and this article is a fluid read. Seth is beatable. Seth has way more options than the rest of the cast. Seth becomes a problem at high level play, and beating him relies on waiting for his mistakes ("hoping for the best"). He doesn't seem to even compare to other characters in the game (like MK can't be gimped or edgeguarded and can even plank the ledge for invulnerability the entire match or use IDC to stall- we had to ban both of these from competitive play just for him!).

Seth = MK?
So guys, I'm just gonna keep quoting this until someone addresses it, because I'd really like to discuss it. Can anyone tell me why this ISN'T a valid comparison with MK? As I don't play SFIV competitively.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I'm looking around the SRK forums, reading up about it.

Most of them think it's ridiculous, and that it's just people who got used to playing the arcade version not wanting things that are "too different."

Some pros legitimately think that Seth is going to end up broken, which I don't get. I mean, I don't claim to know much about SF4, though I probably know more than your average Smasher, but I don't see how someone goes from Mid Tier to holy balls broken without a huge shift in the metagame.

It's a really bizarre situation.

On a funny note, alot of the people who don't want Seth banned keep making comments like "What are we, the Brawl community?"

One poster even said something like "Brawl community is a bunch of dumb mother****ers and even they voted 70:30 against banning Metaknight, so we ****ing better not do this."

So good to see we're still loved and respected amongst our fellow fighters. :)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh it is.

People just don't want to talk about the fact that the Street Fighter community just banned Akuma in HD remix and are on the verge of banning Seth in SF4 and this community still can't make up it's mind.

Sad, isn't it?

pure_awesome: Seth was always a monster. People are just dumb about this stuff.

In the end it's all about OPTIONS.

Better options = Better character.

Broken options = Broken character.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
We really should be discussing the whole Seth Being Banned thing I posted on the previous page and how it relates to MK. I don't know enough about SFIV really, but reading the article sounds exactly like MK.
For whatever it's worth, during the earliest days of SFIV Seth was considered a fairly mediocre character due to his low stamina (easy to KO) and his poor damage output (poor ability to KO).

Then people learned how to play Seth and found that his low stamina isn't really as much of a problem as originally thought due to his crazy move set, and his damage output/stunning ability was much better than originally thought.

Kind of like how we thought MK was bad when the game first came out because he was Light weight and had trouble killing.

And then people learned how to play him.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
In the updated rankings list, Seth is still only B tier.

I mean, I understand why he could be broken. Wakeup options and Fullscreen Ultra aside, the guy still has an answer to everything. But I kind of assumed that was just me not knowing anything about SF4, and that the people behind the tier list must know what they're talking about. EL, I know you play SF4, how do they decide on their tier list? Do they have a unified group like the SBR?

So are we talking broken like better than Sagat? 'Cuz people sure figured him out pretty quick.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Stats don't mean crap is the conclusion that both communities came to. It's all about the options.

BTW this community has already admitted MK breaks the game. You banned the infinite cape AND planking. Two things that make MK pretty much unbeatable.

MK already breaks the game, but by removing these things you attempt to balance him out.

Why?

Wouldn't that be like banning Seth's teleport since he can just runaway the whole time? ( That IS how you play high level Seth BTW. You run. The ENTIRE MATCH)

Tony_

Smash Ace
HEY GUYS

http://www.getyourtournament.com/2009/04/wong-prefers-seth-banned-from-tourney.html

THIS DOESN'T SOUND FAMILIAR AT ALL.

You can practically replace "Seth" with "Metaknight" and this article is a fluid read. Seth is beatable. Seth has way more options than the rest of the cast. Seth becomes a problem at high level play, and beating him relies on waiting for his mistakes ("hoping for the best"). He doesn't seem to even compare to other characters in the game (like MK can't be gimped or edgeguarded and can even plank the ledge for invulnerability the entire match or use IDC to stall- we had to ban both of these from competitive play just for him!).

Seth = MK?
I agree.

Seth has about 4 bad match-ups, with Fuerte or Viper being his worst in the bunch. Fuerte can just avoid anything he does and he inflicts damage quick when Fuerte isn't being attacked or anything. Viper just eats him alive.

Another thing about Seth is that he has the best offensive AND defensive options as well. Sure he takes and inflicts damage really badly but he has two dizzy combos. MK has the best of both worlds in brawl, yet has no bad match-ups.

So why are people banning Seth? Who knows. Its probably because of his potential, yet he doesn't even have the number of match-ups Sagat has in his favor.

MK shouldn't be banned because he falls into the same boat as Seth: they are both beatable, yet both have the best of both worlds. There really isn't any reason to ban MK or Seth from play.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Stats don't mean crap is the conclusion that both communities came to. It's all about the options.

BTW this community has already admitted MK breaks the game. You banned the infinite cape AND planking. Two things that make MK pretty much unbeatable.

MK already breaks the game, but by removing these things you attempt to balance him out.

Why?

Wouldn't that be like banning Seth's teleport since he can just runaway the whole time? ( That IS how you play high level Seth BTW. You run. The ENTIRE MATCH)

I've been wondering that myself. There is no way to police these things except by honor or judge ruling. Kinda hard when there are 5 plus games going on at the same time in a small tourney setting, let alone a big one. I have a question, though. Does it matter that he overrides intrinsic priority rules as well? (I ask because I don't know)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I would say that's pretty big actually.

It means he doesn't put himself at any risk by attempting to hit an attack from someone else when the attack is part of their body.

MK will always win out.

Reminds me of ST Akuma where all his low kicks were completely invulnerable.

Just saying.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Seth is a glass box lmfao! Hes good but he aint no metaknight. Seth has way more risks then metaknight One wrong move and the the round can be over in seconds. A good seth falls under the isai axiom dont get hit.

Though a high level seth is one of the funniest things in the world to watch. I got whopped by one the other day LMFAO.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Before the topic gets changed back to smash, anyone here play SF4 on XBL? i'd like to play some people here and see how i do :)

i use chun li, PM me if you're interested

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
People just don't want to talk about the fact that the Street Fighter community just banned Akuma in HD remix and are on the verge of banning Seth in SF4 and this community still can't make up it's mind.
Seth's not even considered the best character in SF4, he's top tier but not past sagat, and SRK is not officially banning seth, not even close, official EVO rulesets does not have any character banned.

just thought i'd clarify that

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sagat is more well rounded then Seth since he can take a hit and still has good options.

But Seth has dominating options and the best overall options in the game.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Oh it is.

Lol your stupid when it comes to SF. EVO banned Akuma in HD remix not the community. The community disagrees with its decision greatly.

Seth's not even considered the best character in SF4, he's top tier but not past sagat, and SRK is not officially banning seth, not even close, official EVO rulesets does not have any character banned.

just thought i'd clarify that
Seth isn't even a top tier. He never will be unless the person playing him knows his playstyle well and Sim's teleport play is still better.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
The things Seth can do Mid-full screen are unreal
and if your in the corner against a good Seth, you might as well say bye to about half your life

Seth is top tier
some of the best players want him banned <_<
I saw gootecks get straight up ***** by Artrio's Seth and he did EVERYTHING right. You clearly don't know what you are talking about

Tony_

Smash Ace
The things Seth can do Mid-full screen are unreal
and if your in the corner against a good Seth, you might as well say bye to about half your life

Seth is top tier
some of the best players want him banned <_<
I saw gootecks get straight up ***** by Artrio's Seth, like. And he did EVERYTHING right. You clearly don't know what you are talking about

To at least defend my self and my stupidity, I haven't seen (or played) a good Seth myself.

See? I CAN TRY. xD

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Didn't SFIV come out like, a few months ago...? If even that?

EDIT: Wikipedia says February. How are they banning things THREE MONTHS into the game.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Didn't SFIV come out like, a few months ago...? If even that?

EDIT: Wikipedia says February. How are they banning things THREE MONTHS into the game.
Unlike smash, it's typically easy to see if something's broken or not in a fighting game, because the options for all characters are much more balanced, and the different options available are much more balanced among each other. Smash doesn't quite play by the same rules as conventional 2D fighters (and this is before we start talking about stage CP's).

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You mean, exactly like Brawl...?

It's still three months. Seriously.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lol your stupid when it comes to SF. EVO banned Akuma in HD remix not the community. The community disagrees with its decision greatly.

Seth isn't even a top tier. He never will be unless the person playing him knows his playstyle well and Sim's teleport play is still better.
There are many people that are happy Akuma is gone.

Kindly, do not insult my knowledge or intelligence.

I NEVER thought I would say this, but play/watch Arturo's Seth and then tell me he isn't stupid.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
You mean, exactly like Brawl...?

It's still three months. Seriously.
It's been out for a LOT longer in Japan though.

I played an arcade machine in June last year (though I don't know if it was available commercially at the time- I was playing it at a trade show).

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
How is the international SF community split? Is it anything like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom