• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Just use Nair and Up-B with GW and you can plank like a master.

Btw, has anyone suggested that Metaknight just suicide the first stock each match? MK mains don't have to find a new character, but they start off at a disadvantage and even out the metagame. You could do it with Snake too, because he has his own tier. :p
You cant possibly think this is a good idea.

Delvro

Smash Ace
If we all used that same analogy, then NinjaLink's victory over M2K is CLEARLY attributed to M2 sucking.

Or OverSwarm losing to that Sonic guy... CLEARLY OverSwarm sucks because he lost to Sonic, right?

[/sarcasm]
This logic is flawed.

Metaknight doesn't destroy sonic like he destroys other characters. No good metaknight will ever COME CLOSE to losing to charizard. Ever. If it ever happens the world would explode because we broke the fundamental laws of nature.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We shouldn't john for other people either.

Heck we shouldn't even john at all, if it happened, it happened.

You just gotta come back better, stronger, faster.

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
This logic is flawed.

Metaknight doesn't destroy sonic like he destroys other characters. No good metaknight will ever COME CLOSE to losing to charizard. Ever. If it ever happens the world would explode because we broke the fundamental laws of nature.
lol w0t? is the tier list 2.0 your only source of info/experience to support this?

i beat mks on the regular basis with zard.

the rock+grab range=hell for mk.

you're reaching.

Prawn

Smash Master
"Omg, Stacy's gonna see that I don't have all of Fall Out Boy's music then she's gonna think that I don't like Fall Out Boy then she's gonna meet another boy who DOES have all of their CDs and think that he likes Fall Out Boy and then she's gonna fall in love with them and then she's gonna dump meeee!!!!!!"
Correction, Stacy's a *****.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ignore this post. Either I saw a post that wasn't there, someone edited it, or I simply suck at reading.

... Or a mixture of the three.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Someone editted something because my post(4003) was also directed at a post that appears to no longer exist lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
More like mods deleting their posts (probably, this might not be true but there's a good chance).

As much as you would want to delete some posts, alas you cannot.

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
???

IIRC MK can bypass Rocksmash easily and he shouldnt be getting grabbed either.
in fact that is par tof why he is so good, he has many options to avoid being grabbed or hit by RS.
that can apply to the whole cast vs mk. his conjecture however was that zard in particular is a 100:0 mu on mk. though i realize mk does have some advantage in the match up i dislike seeing highly exaggerated points like this because it actually gives the pro-ban side less credibility.

bobson

Smash Lord
This logic is flawed.

A Charizard has a much better chance of taking out a Metaknight of equal skill who knows the matchup than a Sonic does.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
A Charizard has a much better chance of taking out a Metaknight of equal skill who knows the matchup than a Sonic does.
No if you think about it Charizard has good fight ability right but Sonic has speed well MK has both due to the advance aerial techniques MK has Charizard is toast. But sonic on the other hand can just keep on Mk to a kill just look at ___X___ he owns with sonic and he can beat most MK's

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
that can apply to the whole cast vs mk. his conjecture however was that zard in particular is a 100:0 mu on mk. though i realize mk does have some advantage in the match up i dislike seeing highly exaggerated points like this because it actually gives the pro-ban side less credibility.
The hell did you get THIS info? <_<"
Can I get a link to it? Since all I've seen is a 60:40 (MK) in the MK MU thread.

Considering both character's pros and cons... Charizard has more killing options (although he is slower). The chance that a charizard might beat an MK of equal skill more than a Sonic might beat an MK of equal skill, I find quite plausible... Although not "much more" than Sonic, maybe just a tiny bit more.

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
The hell did you get THIS info? <_<"
Can I get a link to it? Since all I've seen is a 60:40 (MK) in the MK MU thread.
i didn't say it was the general concensus. i was just pointing out that one person's flawed statement

vvv

This logic is flawed.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
All those who are against character diversity should be against affirmative action in real life. It's the same argument. This is why MK should not be banned, because affirmative action is stupid and unnecessary.

And yes, I just went there.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
a soft ban isn't a real ban at all, though.

You're right. A soft ban is "allowed, but discouraged". Common courtesy will then do the rest.
In Japan, it's equal in weight. Japan does not hard ban characters. Even Akuma in Street Fighter 2 Turbo is only soft banned- the top players won't play him, and bad players pick him and lose and are laughed at and publically humiliated.

Japanese soft ban = US hard ban, because Japan doesn't hard ban.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Why are you guys talking about Charizard like he's a real character? Seriously, since when does Charizard have matchups any more than any 1/3 of another character has matchups? If Charizard was for some reason amazingly ineffective against Meta Knight (I'm not really buying it beyond the baseline you get from Charizard not being very good in general), you'd still have the other 2/3 of Pokemon Trainer to consider in the matchup.

I also think it's a myth that Japan doesn't hard ban. I seem to recall reading that eventually someone good enough to win with him just used Akuma and won several Japanese Super Turbo tournaments and evidently didn't care about the scorn or whatever so they ended up hard banning him.

Soft banning is employed in Japan where they have some really goofy cultural phenomina, but it's not something anyone should be seriously floating as an option. Soft bans are bunk; I'd violate them all day. I mean, everyone hates planking, and I do it anyway. It's just to win. I'll do anything within the game unless the rules explicitly forbid me. I know I'm not the only one who is uncompromisingly of this position. Soft bans instantly fail when people with this position exist.

Also, I'd like to point out again that character diversity is still very healthy if you look at the actual results from actual major tournaments. To quote myself...

The following characters have placed top 8 in a tournament with 90+ entrees since the start of 2009. 90 entrees is my cutoff for a major tournament, and I decided at that number BEFORE looking at the list (so it wasn't picked to specifically maximize what I'd see). The highest place is indicated in parenthesis. If their placement on the list is only due to a split, it will be indicated with an asterisk.

Lucario (1), Snake (1), Meta Knight (1), King Dedede (1), Diddy Kong (1), Mr. Game & Watch (1), Zero Suit Samus (1), Wario (2/1*), Pikachu (2), Falco (2), Luigi (2), R.O.B. (3), Lucas (4/3*), Sonic (4), Donkey Kong (4), Samus (4), Marth (5/1*), Pit (5/4*), Toon Link (5), Ness (5), Kirby (7), Ice Climbers (1)*, Peach (3)*, Zelda & Sheik (3)*, Pokemon Trainer (3)*, Wolf (5)*, Fox (7)*

That is, 7 different characters have won major tournaments by themselves, 21 different characters have placed top 8 at major tournaments by themselves, 10 characters have won major tournaments if you allow secondaries alongside them, and 27 characters have placed top 8 at major tournaments if you allow secondaries alongside them.
Could someone please provide real evidence of Meta Knight tearing up the tournaments? He does the best, but for an allegedly ban-worthy character, his tournament results are decidedly unimpressive. I don't think there are even two major tournaments in which Meta Knight controlled half of the placements (I know about WHOBO; find another one). Double points if you don't give him full points for being a part of a split (it's kinda dumb to give Meta Knight full credit for a second place in which the player also used Snake liberally, for instance).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Could someone please provide real evidence of Meta Knight tearing up the tournaments? He does the best, but for an allegedly ban-worthy character, his tournament results are decidedly unimpressive. I don't think there are even two major tournaments in which Meta Knight controlled half of the placements (I know about WHOBO; find another one). Double points if you don't give him full points for being a part of a split (it's kinda dumb to give Meta Knight full credit for a second place in which the player also used Snake liberally, for instance).
hobo11

clash of titans 4

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
They're both not promising results, but they're also just 2 examples out of the HUGE amount of large tourneys (and small ones) held, plus not even near WHOBO's MK dominance..
They fit the Criterion that AA asked for. And why do they count wario for spammer anyways? He only used him against Ally, and he lost anyways.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
They fit the Criterion that AA asked for. And why do they count wario for spammer anyways? He only used him against Ally, and he lost anyways.
I said what I said so people who want to say "OH MY GOD 2 MORE EXAMPLES! MK MUST BE BROKEN DUE TO THESE RESULTS!" could keep their mouths shut. Otherwise, I wouldnt've looked for the links and just sat back and relaxed wile everyone was too lazy to look for them.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Given that tournament results are more relevant than tournament names or tournament reputations, yes, a link to the results would be rather useful.
Look above you. Kewkky posted them in his quote.

I said what I said so people who want to say "OH MY GOD 2 MORE EXAMPLES! MK MUST BE BROKEN DUE TO THESE RESULTS!" could keep their mouths shut. Otherwise, I wouldnt've looked for the links and just sat back and relaxed wile everyone was too lazy to look for them.
K. I'm just saying that AA asked for more tourneys like that, and got them.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I also think it's a myth that Japan doesn't hard ban. I seem to recall reading that eventually someone good enough to win with him just used Akuma and won several Japanese Super Turbo tournaments and evidently didn't care about the scorn or whatever so they ended up hard banning him.

Soft banning is employed in Japan where they have some really goofy cultural phenomina, but it's not something anyone should be seriously floating as an option. Soft bans are bunk; I'd violate them all day. I mean, everyone hates planking, and I do it anyway. It's just to win. I'll do anything within the game unless the rules explicitly forbid me. I know I'm not the only one who is uncompromisingly of this position. Soft bans instantly fail when people with this position exist.
You've... never been outside the USA, have you? Saving face and being courteous are a huge part of the culture in Japan. Its not goofy, either. Most of the world before "Americanization" held these values as all important. They still do, to a certain extent. If you were to go about breaking the soft ban at will just to win, you'd have no friends in the community, few people would be willing to even talk with you, etc. You would be held in disdain. This in and of itself is a good deterrent in that kind of culture. The only reason why I could see that they would want to hard ban anything in that kind of culture would be if someone like you (if you are the way you just described yourself to be) came along that didn't care about anything except getting that win. I wouldn't doubt that whoever did it with Akuma is still being shunned by the community. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't look at other cultures through your personal cultural lens. Yours isn't the only way of thinking, nor is it necessarily correct in context.

Also, I'd like to point out again that character diversity is still very healthy if you look at the actual results from actual major tournaments. To quote myself...

I agree fully... if the argument is that Metaknight is broken, which he isn't. Over centralization, on the other hand, spans the entire community. Just looking at the top spots would mean overlooking a large number of people who chose Metaknight that may not have been as "skilled" as the top players.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
rotfl um w0t? is the tier list 2.0 your only source of info/experience to support this?

i beat GOOD mks on the regular basis with zard.

the rock+grab range=hell for mk.

stop reaching. it actually hurts your argument.
The "good" MKs you face obviously don't abuse the tornado, because the tornado seriously messes up Charizard. Yes, Charizard has nice power moves to take care of Metaknight, but good luck landing them on an MK that is willing to take advantage of Charizard's size. Let's not forget Metaknight's ridiculous priority. Marth is a pain for Charizard, I can't even imagine how you think that Metaknight isn't an even bigger pain.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
HOBO 11:

1.MK= 16
2.Lucario= 1
3.Wario= 2
4.Snake= 5
5.Peach= 2
6.G&W= 2
7.PT= 2
8.Pit= 3
9.Sonic= 1
10.DDD= 1
11.Wolf= 3
12.Diddy= 3
13.TL= 1
14.Samus= 1
15.ROB= 1
16.Olimar= 1
17.Pika= 1
18.Yoghi= 2
19.Ike= 1
20.Marth= 4
21.Mario= 1
22.ZSS= 1
23.Falco= 5
24.Fox= 3
25.Link= 1
26.Lucas= 1
27.ganon= 1
MK has 24% of the tourney's character choices.

CoT4:

1)MK= 6
2)Snake= 1
3)Wario= 1
4)Diddy= 1
5)Lucario= 2
6)Kirby= 1
7)DDD= 2
8)G&W= 2
9)Bowser= 1
10)IC= 1
11)Marth= 1
12)TL= 1
13)Pika= 1
MK has 28.5% of the only characters that are shown, which ae like 13 players out of 60+-... So we can't use CoT:4 as a reference, since it doesn't have ALL of the character choices of the players, or at the very least 3/4 of the players.

WHOBO:

1)MK= 14
2)Snake= 3
3)Wario= 4
4)Lucario= 2
5)DDD= 3
6)IC= 3
7)Marth= 8
8)G&W= 4
9)Olimar= 3
10)Diddy= 4
11)TL= 3
12)Peach= 1
13)Sonic= 2
14)Yoshi= 1
15)Fox= 2
16)Pika= 2
17)Wolf= 1
18)Samus= 1
19)DK= 1
20)Ike= 1
21)Falco= 2
22)Falcon= 1
23)Lucas= 2
24)PT= 1
25)Pit= 4
26)ROB= 1
27)ZSS= 1
28)Mario= 1
MK has 18.4% of the tourney's character choices.

*** Seems to ME that MK has been losing dominance/overcentralization, according to the tourneys I COULD use to help out my small research... WHOBO is the one with the least % of MKs, yet the top spots are overrun with them. Obviously the MK mains have been busy learning their matchups, it's not like 50% of the tourney was MKs only. Plus, it only makes sense to say that part of the top spots were taken by a couple of the best Brawl players NA can offer (M2K, Dojo, Razer...) along with its top MK mains (DSF, Tyrant, Lee Martin...). Where were the other equally-skilled top players who are NOT MK mains (NinjaLink, Ally, Anther...)? Obviously MKs would dominate, a player who uses the best character in the game PLUS has more skill than you, will beat you... Which is the case of WHOBO. ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom