• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
ROB plays a lot like Samus imo, and would be good if you just want a less frustrating character to play in certain match-ups.

If you want to cover match-ups, however, pick up ICs. He(they?) covers Flaco, Dedede, Olimar and kinda sorta metaknight. Diddy too, even though I think Samus can beat Diddy.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Which came first? The play-style, or the Character?
Kind of depends on the person.
Some people will already kind of have a certain playstyle already, playing almost all the characters in a similar fashion, others pick up a character and develop a playstyle around that character.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers my friend. ;)
B-reversal? No. At least not the regular kind, iirc, you have to press the control stick, then the b-button in a quick fashion for a reverse-cs. If that style of reversing has a name, then it escapes me atm.

HyL!

Smash Lord
i main lucario and luigi, i've got B reversal down, but the only way i can seem to do it with samus is, i hit the control stick first and there's no momentum shift? D: can't seem to get it to work the other way.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
What's Samus' best momentum canceling option?
What're some effective kill move set ups?

I've been messing around with her and she's quite fun. <3 Zair and Missle spam. xD
tbh, not sure. It's between u-air and n-air. I believe both aerials are the same frame-wise (starting and ending frame) but I'd have to check. Just be sure to FF of course. Double jump works better than bomb as a momentum cancel after the aerial.

Just read your opponent. That is the best way to land a kill move.

i main lucario and luigi, i've got B reversal down, but the only way i can seem to do it with samus is, i hit the control stick first and there's no momentum shift? D: can't seem to get it to work the other way.
For clarification, we are speaking of wave bouncing and not simply switching directions.

Answer: You cannot wave bounce with any of Samus' specials.

dear lord, Is that all you were trying to prove? That a useless tech for samus that doesnt benifit her at all....exsists? well, congrats for not helping out the future of Samus. lol
I wasn't trying to prove anything, simply didn't want him giving out false/inaccurate information.

We have already established the future of Samus anyway, no point in helping that.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
tbh, not sure. It's between u-air and n-air. I believe both aerials are the same frame-wise (starting and ending frame) but I'd have to check. Just be sure to FF of course. Double jump works better than bomb as a momentum cancel after the aerial.

Just read your opponent. That is the best way to land a kill move.
I saw a topic in brawl tactical discussion that said Samus' uair and bair were tied for least frames and best momentum cancelling. Maybe I can find it...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The point of certain moves being used for momentum canceling is for them to happen fast and attempt to prolong your stock. If you're going to use D-air for it(which I'm not saying it's bad by any means, just won't be as effective), you should at least use U/N-air first and SDI as best as you can.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Don't spam D-smash. A good opponent will not be hit by it that often. Her better kill moves are Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Fsmash and Bair. Charge Shots are good, but won't kill if you use them too much.

Si te ayuda, puedo tranducir lo que dices en Espanol para los de mas.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
O.O well thanks for the help jaja , i will try to use with a diferent strategy my Dsmash, also i discover some about the foot of samus, her Dsmash is stronger when you do that move with the foot, i realy want be better with samus iwant her how my second main

Si te ayuda, puedo tranducir lo que dices en Espanol para los de mas.
traducir? por que?, yo no he dicho nada en español aqui en este tema, pero gracias por la oferta XD,
la verdad preferira que no, me uni a este foro para aprender de Smash y practicar mi ingles (el cual ha mejorado un poco en este foro) pero si digo una tecnica de la forma equivocada
(en ingles tienen distintos nombres) seria agradable de tu parte que me corrigieras, XD

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Isn`t the best momentum cancel (for horizontal at least) bair/uair and B reverse Fully Charge Shot? It is a waste of a charge shot but if you were going to die anyway then worth it.

Edit: Also why isnt Fast missile used more? It`s a really good projectile and gives you approaching potential because its slow initial speed gives you time to run alongside it at the beginning. Of course it`s also good for camping. Fast Missile>Missile Cancel>SH instant homing missile, gets two projectiles out instantly and provides pretty good pressure while giving you options for shooting more missiles or landing on the ground and doing something else.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Isn`t the best momentum cancel (for horizontal at least) bair/uair and B reverse Fully Charge Shot? It is a waste of a charge shot but if you were going to die anyway then worth it.
no. too much lag on the start up of charge shot AND what are the chances of you having a FULLY charged shot the moment u get hit? MOST samus mains never keep a CS handy.

best is uair to Double jump fast fall

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
traducir? por que?, yo no he dicho nada en español aqui en este tema, pero gracias por la oferta XD,
la verdad preferira que no, me uni a este foro para aprender de Smash y practicar mi ingles (el cual ha mejorado un poco en este foro) pero si digo una tecnica de la forma equivocada
(en ingles tienen distintos nombres) seria agradable de tu parte que me corrigieras, XD

Ah, perdón. Just thought it would be easier for you to say it in spanish. d:

- Editing...dammit 502's/my crappy connection.

no. too much lag on the start up of charge shot AND what are the chances of you having a FULLY charged shot the moment u get hit? MOST samus mains never keep a CS handy.

best is uair to Double jump fast fall
This.

10this's

Edit: Also why isnt Fast missile used more? It`s a really good projectile and gives you approaching potential because its slow initial speed gives you time to run alongside it at the beginning. Of course it`s also good for camping. Fast Missile>Missile Cancel>SH instant homing missile, gets two projectiles out instantly and provides pretty good pressure while giving you options for shooting more missiles or landing on the ground and doing something else.
For following your missiles to approach, powershield/grab says hello. It's also predictable, they can move/dodge/shield/react accordingly by the time you reach them. Some characters can also break missiles pretty easily, so they aren't as good as they seem they should be. They help/work, just mix it up to keep them on their toes. Also, something called Z-air exists, so missiles bump down in the pecking order.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've seens Samus's hop the ledge and Zair their opponent withough grappling the ledge.
I think it involves holding down from the ledge when you hop, but how's it done?

Xyro77

No, spamming dair gets punished by any sort of person who can shield. Read the samus guide for information.

Xyro77

hey samus boards, is good idea spam our Dair to make damage to the oponent(if we have the oportunity of course)?

my samus is getting better, but i want improve her >=)
As a rule, no, It will get you punished. However, there are certain people who love to ground dodge after they get hit and if you KNOW they will do it then after u dair someone(on the ground) leap up and dair them again. Dont abuse it but its a free 20%+

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
OK, thanks KJ and Xyro.

i need practice my MC, i cant do it like KJ, sometimes i fail an do a full hop

edit: KJ, remember the comment I made in You tube???
Well I have to admit you were right, samus dont have a very good close range, is OK but lacks of priority, that helpme a lot, belive me. thanks

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I got some questions regarding this video (Vhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0LtVTxxmsk):
1) #t=0m29s How come Samus' tether fails to grab the ledge at certain times? Xyro clearly didn't tether up to 3 times already. The reason this happens is that zair won't tether from an airdodge? I was playing friendlies 4 days ago and same thing happened to me.
2) #t=1m20s Why do you use fair to momentum cancel? Was it just messing around? Just to clarify and stay updated on info, Uair is still the best to momentum cancel right?
3) Xyro, would you receptive to a "breaking down Xyro" type thread. On the Snake boards, Ran Iji watched ~3 vids of ally and basically tallied up how many times he used X move (jab, tilt, fair, dair, etc.) I was thinking about doing the same for Samus boards (about time I do something to contribute). I'd like your permission first, since some people feel like you will be read better if your stats are posted up. If you don't mind, would there be any particular vid or MU that you would want observed?

Notes:
*#t=0m26s - D*** Samus, why you got so much lag on grab that you can be punished with Fsmash :(

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
I got some questions regarding this video (Vhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0LtVTxxmsk):
1) #t=0m29s How come Samus' tether fails to grab the ledge at certain times? Xyro clearly didn't tether up to 3 times already. The reason this happens is that zair won't tether from an airdodge? I was playing friendlies 4 days ago and same thing happened to me.
2) #t=1m20s Why do you use fair to momentum cancel? Was it just messing around? Just to clarify and stay updated on info, Uair is still the best to momentum cancel right?
3) Xyro, would you receptive to a "breaking down Xyro" type thread. On the Snake boards, Ran Iji watched ~3 vids of ally and basically tallied up how many times he used X move (jab, tilt, fair, dair, etc.) I was thinking about doing the same for Samus boards (about time I do something to contribute). I'd like your permission first, since some people feel like you will be read better if your stats are posted up. If you don't mind, would there be any particular vid or MU that you would want observed?

Notes:
*#t=0m26s - D*** Samus, why you got so much lag on grab that you can be punished with Fsmash :(
1) Samus cannot tether grab the ledge if there is a hitbox/hurtbox covering the normal z-air's length at the same time.

2) He already lived the u-smash with his incidental DI. Any aerial would have worked at that point. U-air/n-air continues to be the best momentum cancel move for Samus.

3) Sounds like a lot of work. Good luck.

Xyro77

Thanks for asking and yes please do what you need to do as long as it is in"good taste." So if u want to make a thread about my style or w/e, go for it. If you have ANY questions, PM me.

As for a MU or vid that i want people to SEE and LEARN from....im not too sure. I will leave it up to you guys.

Sago

Smash Lord
Did any of you guys know that you can double jump out of a short hop dair into another dair.....and it combos at 60% on heavies. AND YOU CAN JAB LOCK OUT OF IT!!!!!

just found it amazed it took me so long to realize. timing is tricky

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
^
I was already aware of this myself and it can also be lead into a third dair.
But good luck getting that.
That's like trying to get a jab lock from utilt, it may be possible but is very situational

^Pretty much what he said.

If the opponent techs the dair, they won't be in the position to be jab locked, or to be daired again.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Did any of you guys know that you can double jump out of a short hop dair into another dair.....and it combos at 60% on heavies. AND YOU CAN JAB LOCK OUT OF IT!!!!!

just found it amazed it took me so long to realize. timing is tricky
Yes. Pretty much what Omega said. Mind you I have gotten jab locks from Utilt and from Dair, but it's tough timing, With DK you can jablock him out of his UpB With Dair. I laughed

EDIT: Teching is for Quitters, When I get combo'd I wait it out to see how flashy the ending is.

No flashy ending, No points.

Top Bottom