• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

I have to agree with you there. To make it worse, when we angle it up to kill earlier, IT LOSES EVEN MORE RANGE.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
KJ is correct, HOWEVER KJ, not many people actually bother to learn that stuff, AND if the last hit doens't connect they SHOULD be above you, and you may be able to SA them. I believe the timing says that they can airdodge, but msot of the time they use an attack, as long as it's not Nair you should hit with SA.

It's not a good situation to put yourself in by any means, and it'll only work once (Along with USmash in General, That will not work twice :\)

Yee Samus' Fsmash is horrid. Makes her roll look good :urg:

The ending lag from Usmash doesn't allow us to follow up with anything, and we will get punished for it instead.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I assume it's a hyphen smash.
I think he means Fair, but it's still unclear :dizzy:
It's not a combo. PERIOD.
I assume Delx was joking, if not, (no)

If you're using Usmash, you'd better have some crafty timing; Odds are, you WILL get punished for even using it. However, on the spec of luck you DO land all the hits, i'd air chase with Uair and FF-Uair > SA.
I can't really find too many situations where Usmash is handy, but i sometimes Hyphen after a Ledge-Hopped Fair at low %'s, if the hits of Fair connect, that is.

If you're trying to space with Fair or Usmash, you shouldn't be here. I'll be first to say, Fair does come in handy during combos, but only FF-Fair, Rising Fair as well, but only on the heavies. Same with Usmash; Only on the heavies.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice

If you're using Usmash, you'd better have some crafty timing; Odds are, you WILL get punished for even using it. However, on the spec of luck you DO land all the hits, i'd air chase with Uair and FF-Uair > SA.
I can't really find too many situations where Usmash is handy, but i sometimes Hyphen after a Ledge-Hopped Fair at low %'s, if the hits of Fair connect, that is.

If you're trying to space with Fair or Usmash, you shouldn't be here. I'll be first to say, Fair does come in handy during combos, but only FF-Fair, Rising Fair as well, but only on the heavies. Same with Usmash; Only on the heavies.
Nah, upsmash is crap and it won't be anything other than it. You'll always get punished for it, because it'll never fully hit if anyone just DI's upwards.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Nah, upsmash is crap and it won't be anything other than it. You'll always get punished for it, because it'll never fully hit if anyone just DI's upwards.
Thank you, i may just stop using Usmash altogether, but whenever i hyphen my heavier opponents, they always take all the hits.
I guess they don't get the MU at all, or at least Samus' Usmash.
I think he means one of Samus' fiery moves that transfers momentum and can be easily DI'd out of. Up Smash fits that description well.
Heh, i assume he should've been more clear in his description :p

Or your opponents are diabolical beyond words and need to learn how to hold up on their analog sticks..

It's so simple to get out of, even to the point where some characters like Jigglypuff can get out of it without inputting a single button :/.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
So Samus' Worst Move= Usmash? Bombs can be more helpful than Usmash when the opponent is offstage or on the ledge, imo.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Don't use upsmash yeah, it'll just turn into a bad habbit. Whenever I'm done playing Samus in Melee I have the habbit of trying to SWD or L-cancel.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I love SWD. I wish they kept her extended grab in for the "lulz." I never use usmash. I rarely use fair, but maybe I should play around with FF auto-cancelled fair > X move. Also, I jab1 cancel >dtilt a "combo" without DI or SDI? I always get shielded or PS'ed unless my jab is hitting them off the ground.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I use u-smash and space with f-air.

You peeps don't know the art of the Samus Fire Style. Pity.
On snake you can legitimately get an UpB on him if he doesn't Air dodge. Other characters scrfew us though.

Meh upSmash has it's moments, but I'd only advise using it on medium to tall chars, Pretty sure I locked a snake in Usmash onc e because the last hit didn't hit, he had already used his jump, it was weird but re-instated my love for Usmash.

Yall don't know bout mah Fyre.

Also, if your going to use Usmash (Don't. Don't do it.) make sure you slide it so the last hit has a better chance of hitting.

/Inb4some1callsthisthenewsocialthread<3

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
Wtf is flamethrower slide? =\
is a simple AT of samus. to perform it you only need is Dash and do Usmash, Samus will slide a little an is usefull when we fight with big characters like :

:dk2::dedede::rob::snake:

There is a variation of Flame thrower slide (FTS) called reverse FTS
Dash and quickly push the stick in the opposite direction and do a Usmash, she will slide but give her back to the opponent, a perfect move to conect the last hit of her Usmash

Usmash is her worst move, closely followed by bombs.
why we always are in disagree? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The bombs are a good move, not to attack but is usefull like a defence move and obiously recovery

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
@IYM: That is more commonly known as a hyphen smash and reverse hyphen smash. Perhaps the most popular seen hyphen smash is fox's.

I myself almost never use usmash except when i expect the opponent to be DIing down, and even then i rarely ever use it. Also on the rare occasion i use it, i usually use reverse hyphen smash so the last hit is more likely to hit the opponent

I actually find fair quite useful, but only really on stages with slopes like Lylat, it makes it easier to have all hits connect.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Just when I thought people couldn't become dumber, IYM! just did it. Giving a name for an upsmash that is diabolical beyond words is just gay. Upsmash will NEVER EVER fully hit or be used as a combo starter since someone with just a little bit of brain can get out of it.

Upsmash and bombs are NOT good moves, they're complete trash. I'd like to bash you even more, but I'll get infracted for that. Get out of here and come back when you have a brain.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
That all seems a little unnecessary.

There's nothing wrong with naming a move even if it is bad. It's not like that suddenly makes you the worst person in known history.
If anything, fault the video he watched that claimed that Samus' hyphen smash was an AT :laugh:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Fair(broiler) is best on the ledge. You can land on the stage or regrab the ledge.
It's p good after a launcher to catch airdodges. After the last hit you can followup with zair/stuff to hopefully punish their non airdodge.

Dash usmash named hyphen smash when brawl came out made me rage so hard
It's a terrible name for "dash usmash" ... terrible terrible terrible

Usmash is good for catching airdodges and making your opponent parano-id about SDIing.
Mid percent dair into usmash is legit. Nothing in this game is 100% guaranteed but usmash can dish out good damage esp on the dair usmash up b. Which is legit if they react wrong.

Legit.

Samus sucks.

homing missile -> zair -> dash usmash n00b combo <3 <3 <3

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
ZeroL, that was a bit harsh and uncalled for. Usmash and bombs may be terrible, but as stated before, they have some uses. I have hit with ll hits against good opponents because i read their downward DI, and from the hitbubble video, Samus's usmash has very decievingly large hitbubbles. Please don't insult IYM if he finds them useful. If he is finding a way to make them work then we should commend him tbh.

Bombs can also have some use. They are timed explosives that only explode on contact once they touch the ground, so they can work a bit to your advantage in slowing down the match's pace if needed.

I am in no way saying that they are good moves, because they aren't, but i am saying that they still have their uses, however few they are.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Wai-wai-wai wai. Bombs are ON CONTACT WHEN THEY HIT THE GROUND?!?!
Omg hax.

Edit: I'm sure there was a nice-er way of saying that you think he was wrong Quik lol

IYM!

Smash Lord
Just when I thought people couldn't become dumber, IYM! just did it. Giving a name for an upsmash that is diabolical beyond words is just gay. Upsmash will NEVER EVER fully hit or be used as a combo starter since someone with just a little bit of brain can get out of it.
Upsmash and bombs are NOT good moves, they're complete trash. I'd like to bash you even more, but I'll get infracted for that. Get out of here and come back when you have a brain.
:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:?????
and you really think you are a samus mainer? , man is possible conect all hits, beliveme, i know is dificult but is possible, about a name, well, i did not invent, FTS was the name than Hizu give in his vid,

about the bombs, is just ridiculous how all samus mainer curse that move, is very ussefull,
without that, our recovery would be bad, the bombs help in our recovery, give us defencive tactics in the air, (like mario cape), and left a little bomb in case, and in sometimes, like a evasion tactic.

thanks for helpme Omega, i hate when somebody is rude with my, i'm not insulting anyone, i am only give my opinions,

hey, ZeroL, i am not angry, but you need learn evade use thats word here, i mean, all here loves smash, and all want learn more, just take it easy :)

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
No problem IYM, but a little correction, without bombs, Samus still has a great recovery, one of the best in fact. Bombs only slightly help our recovery and are used to satll out the opponent if they are edge-hogging etc.
They also leave us open for a bit in the air, so you should really be only using them for stalling first, recovery a very close second.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
I would've gone into discussion with you, IYM! but sadly I can't read what you're saying since it's like trying to read chinese. Enough with this, Samus is trash so don't try to make her sound good or even average.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I don't find IYM's posts THAT hard to read o.O
We ALL know Samus is trash. At the current meta-game, she may be able to break low-mid AT MOST. Extremely small chance that she will EVER break mid tier.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Cool your Jets quik. This is a civilized board yo, we're all friends here, able to respect others opinions. Get over it

IYM!

Smash Lord
agree, with Cherry,

about my english, sorry, a have to improve it. maybe you dont know ZeroL but i come from Chile, here we speak spanish. That's the reason why, I can not write very long post, language limited a little sometimes.

¿Sabes algo de español? de ser así, genial, asi podras entender, de mejor manera, lo que digo y poder postear cosas en español.

PD: samus isnt a trash, or you forget pichu??? jajajaja

A Little tip, maybe than can help all of you,

Ok, i will face it, samus dont have a very good moveset than i thought, but if all here change the negative vision about samus to a positive vision, beliveme, your playstyle will change.

is the same thing with Link, i am a Link mainer and i try to always have a possitive vision, remember his adventajes(priority, projectiles, Zair) and forget his disventajes( recovery, speed). if I stay all the time with a negative vision, well, i would lose all time.

maybe tis "tip" is little cursie, but is important have a good vision about our character, if, after all, we chose to Samus, it's because we love this character and want to improve her.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yo se un poco espanol.

Y si, estoy de acuerdo que necesitamos ser un poco mas positivo sobre Samus. Sin que tratemos de hacerla mejor, no podremos hacer nada con ella.

Siento que no pueda poner acentos @_@ no se como

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I took spanish for like 3 years but that was simple middle-school spanish i didn't retain any of it. I am currently taking French though and i retain it fairly well, but am only at French 1 level atm. (Taking French 2 this year) but i am not big on learning languages tbh.

I remember i had fun playing as Pichu, he was just a lulzy character.

I sort of agree with IYM in a certain aspect of what he said. Both Link and Samus are trash yet they can be made to work fairly decently through use of what they DO have and your mindset. It is all basically a psychological aspect of playing these types of characters, you know they are terrible but keeping a positive mindset about it will help you to improve and win your matches. If you are using Samus in a tourney set and your opponent goes Falco, most would think they are screwed and lose. Mind-set is the key. If you just give up or get frustrated, of course you are going to lose, but if you keep a constant posistive mental attitude, you will see yourself making better decisions and maybe even win the match.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm pretty sure you couldn't hit with all the hits of Fair while descending, and other aerials held this property since all the hits of Uair, save for the last, gives a slight pop upwards, which can be easily SDI'd to avoid the other hits. Since you are going down, if they SDI up, or even not at all, they escape. If you are going up, they can still SDI up, or away, unless you are doing an offensive Fair(lol) which they can only SDI up to escape the later hits.
All in all, this is a pretty bad aerial. Not her worst, but it shouldn't have too much use outside of ledge hopping.

Top Bottom