• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
has anyone ells noticed that there is a hit with the screw attack that shoots your opponent down?

it sends them diagonally down...

is there away to find out where the hit is and how to make sure it nails every time.. because it could work as an unexpected WEAK spike

NO-IDea

Smash Lord

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ok rewatch that part you just posted. While rising, i activate zair right as im coming up from the bottom part of the stage.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
The .pac file used to show hitboxes is rather new, Carter. It'll be up eventually, and I'm sure it'll spur on discussion just as much as planking did.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I was playing my friends fox, which isn't half bad. I'm having troubles getting back to the ground and having trouble finding ways to stop getting juggled.

So naturally, what are some good ways getting back on the ground?

The only thing I found that works is a well timed, well spaced dair. Other than that, fox keeps juggling me with nair, fair if I don't SDI in time, and uair when my dair time/spacing is off. Samus' fast fall doesn't seem that much faster. Occasionally I'll use a bomb to stall, but it doesn't help that fox falls fast enough to just jump up again.

Is it better to just go offstage and grab the ledge, since samus has great ledge options?
Also, it's impossible to b-reverse charge shot right? I've tried and couldn't do it :/

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It is possible, but difficult to pull off, especially in a real match. Unless you B-stick it(which isn't a very good idea for Samus).

Fox is a quick bish, but there are ways to get back down. As you already said, you can stall with bombs. If you're quick enough, you can potentially dodge one of his aerials('specially F-air) with a bomb/air dodge/DI, follow up with either a FF aerial(N-air and D-air work decently, but shouldn't be used much against Fox unless you are offstage, on a stage with platforms, or as a "gtfo move." U-air works wonders if you can catch 'em with it) or a F-air/Z-air if they're close enough. A very quick or good Fox will still give you trouble. I'd suggest you learn to read their movements and evade them accordingly(learn when and where you should air dodge, stall with bombs, and FF). As for the edge, go for it if you work well there. Samus' ledge game *****, and Fox has eh recovery. Watch out for being gimped/Shine'd, though. If you need more tips, I have a post on AiB detailing some more things you could do. I may have generalized a bit, but meh.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
No, your advice is well taken. My friend usually never goes for shine spiked, but he went for it one day. Shine, drop, shine, ledge hog. I was surprised because samus has quite a good recovery, especially with all her options. I'll try using nair more and see how that works.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
For the most part IsmaR covered everything (if you check here and his AiB link.)

If you're asking for a specific answer to your question, I would say:

A) To prevent getting juggled, u-air spacing outprioritizes his d-air at the right angle, use pivot grabs if he gets predictable with approach. OoS up+b also works to prevent getting juggled by his d-air approach.

B) If Fox does in fact land d-air->u-tilt or a grab/pivot grab, DI away as best as possible (I can't emphasize enough about how important it is to learn which way to DI in this MU.) IsmaR covered the rest here.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
other then recovering and mindgamez, are there any good uses for her bombs? Im trying to main her while balancing ZSS and i need ALOT more info on samus!

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I try to use it to edgeguard sometimes. I usually bomb of ledge, land on stage, and go for the dair spike if the opponent gets hit by the bomb. It's never worked for me so far. I'm pretty much a noob w/samus. Maybe someone else will you better advice.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I use a lot of bombs. It's a nice way to change momentum when you're falling in the air. And you can mess with your opponent by trapping them between bombs and yourself, which can lead to things like jab -> bomb -> fsmash or bomb -> fsmash etc. And against characters that are grab happy (i.e. ICs, DDD) it's nice to have them around because if you get grabbed and it hits the opponent, you are freeeee. And of course the edgeguarding bonus is good. Run off the stage and immediately bomb and you'll go straight down. Then you can spike the bomb'd opponent.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
HEY XYRO

Not to spam or anything but I was trying to find a thread where Xyro hinted that he basically did a ****ty super wave dash with Samus in brawl.

He said he could do like 1 an hour or something that it was really hard. I just got down Super Wave Dashing in Melee so I was wondering if we know how to do it in brawl now, so I could learn it.

K thanks.

I just copied and pasted that from the thread that got locked.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
HEY XYRO

Not to spam or anything but I was trying to find a thread where Xyro hinted that he basically did a ****ty super wave dash with Samus in brawl.

He said he could do like 1 an hour or something that it was really hard. I just got down Super Wave Dashing in Melee so I was wondering if we know how to do it in brawl now, so I could learn it.

K thanks.
wow i fail! i STILL cant do it in melee! actually i didnt really kno how (>_<) ... yeah ...

OK, tell me if anyone else does this, sh homing-missile and instead of double shooting i do a sh zair (if their within range) and it does about 10-15%ish i hav only studied the percentage in training and apparently they round down or something so i dont really kno exactly how much it does, i have done it in matches and it throws some people off lol its quite funny :p

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
HEY XYRO

K thanks.

I just copied and pasted that from the thread that got locked.

hahah Xyro you have a stalker

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Missiles. You can't benefit from great z-air usage as much as you can from missiles.

Both are incredibly useful that you should learn both though.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Missiles. You can't benefit from great z-air usage as much as you can from missiles.

Both are incredibly useful that you should learn both though.
I know that much, it just takes me forever to add something to my game.

I'm a slow learner/player. :( But I want a spammy character to change up the pace of using Ike/Falcon. Might as well stick with the low tiers.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Then try not using either and get used to her aerial mobility.

Then implement z-air. It's easier to learn.

Then implement missiles. And reduce your z-air usage.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Sorry for asking a nooby question, but which moves has the highest knockback? I tend to stale fsmash and dtilt (somewhat), so I try to rely on utilt or bair to kill sometimes. Also, bair must have a small hitbox, cause I suck at SH bair spacing, fast falled or not :/

Edit: The only time I can reliably land bair is by doing the run off stage, jump back on > bair.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
@Mr9: What he said. ^^

@DS: Your edit screams "IT'S A TRAP!"

But seriously, I don't know the answer to that question to be honest. If you're looking for what has the highest mathematical value for knockback, it's f-smash.

But some characters die more easily to vertical knockback than horizontal. For example, GW is second lightest character in the game, but you won't kill him with f-smash early if he knows how to bucket brake. It would be more appropriate to use d-tilt.

At the same time, u-tilt, when hitting someone in the air, has different angle properties and is often landing by surprise, therefore being DI'ed horrendously. In other words, it's probably Samus's most consistent kill move in terms of getting the kill.

B-air kills as well, but can be easily DI'ed and is hard to land. Try baiting air dodges (you chase them with homing missiles/f-air/u-air, and then switch and bait for b-air.) Otherwise, I just use the move as a spacing punisher.

In conclusion... Samus sucks at killing. Happy hunting.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Okay- so I was at a tournament today and I made a "discovery".

We chose random during friendlies and the two players were Samus and Bowser- when we noticed something strange.

When you grab Bowser, Samus' animation for pummel plays, but the hit doesn't connect with Bowser, nor does Bowser take damage. Sometimes, the pummel will connect- about 1 in 10 times.

So I asked around the tournament to see if this was already known, and no one seemed to know about it and was quite surprised by this finding. I didn't want to label this a new finding without being sure- so I posted this in the Samus Q&A Thread to ask you Samus mains this question:

Is this Samus pummel glitch already known?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
yeah bowser pummel is really old and doesn't make much sense to me and is kinda useless lol

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
1. Timing is probably really really low
2. All it does is stop your momentum because her dash attack won't carry you forward

Top Bottom