• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

Judo777

Smash Master
here's the video of the only matches i got recorded at HoM2 I put them on youtube so you can comment and stuff here or there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujbTuIwhXUI&feature=channel_video_title

he got his salty runback after i trolled him first match =]

i'll stop posting vids in the social thread and do it here i spose
Haha i was calling out to my computer screen to illimatic not to jump at certain times and then he would straight into a DACUS. He stopped jumping as much game 2.

Nice sheik light.

sheikamaru

jive
So like after the mk vs zelda your liike fk that its morphin time haha and on that last set you were excited to get hat dacus off

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Great gimps, wolf is kinda tricky to ftilt lock, have you thought of dsmashing as a finisher afterwards, and seeing if you can catch his bad DI from inputting downB?

Also, if he dthrows you at the ledge, immediately jump, that'll remove most of the KB and let you live, although you were kinda in a tight spot to begin with :p

clowsui

Smash Legend
he gets a landing trap if you jump immediately that guarantees a hit on sheik based on her reaction (unless he messes up lololol). any of the moves that would hit sheik at that percentage would kill her, so light just figured not to waste time

sheikamaru

jive
I notice a t high percents opponents when grabbed di towards the stage a lot... so try this out. Back throw them and sheik has a weak b throw and jump to bair.. it connects like 80 percent of the time. You gotta react queick though else they'll AD

:phone:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
he gets a landing trap if you jump immediately that guarantees a hit on sheik based on her reaction (unless he messes up lololol). any of the moves that would hit sheik at that percentage would kill her, so light just figured not to waste time
Yeah, go figure, although he could also tech it, that's getting into uneccessary semantics. I'm sure Semifer could easily fair for the kill, but iirc sheik could also chain to cancel that kind of trajectory, like what Link does against low trajectory kill moves to survive.

meh, I feel he could've gone for a better chance to live, but if he was aware of what wolf could do to follow up, I don't blame him for that choice (and he won anyways).

Light25

Smash Cadet
wasnt able to survive that semifer is not a random wolf and hes so facking hard to play cause he knows how to punish EVERYTHING!!!!! hes saving **** about every char and every player on his iPod srsly that guy is just awesome last set 2-3 months ago at a lil meeting he beat me 3-0 or 2:0???? OR 2:1?? dont rly know but hes awesome , im good @learning from looses that ;)

im sorry for my "bad" english but i hope ur able to understand it

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
haha yeah, I know Semifer's pretty legit, I saw a couple of sets against a MK (I think it was Orion actually lol)

That's actually a pretty good idea what he's doing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I notice a t high percents opponents when grabbed di towards the stage a lot... so try this out. Back throw them and sheik has a weak b throw and jump to bair.. it connects like 80 percent of the time. You gotta react queick though else they'll AD

This actually works better with fthrow, for frame advantage purposes, but it's still the same DI trap that's always been there for Sheik.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
My first time w/ the Wario MU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrpnDGDdxR0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxIR4N91oo&NR=1

The SD on the second match... made me die on the inside, idk how/why I did it, but it basically got me sent to loser's bracket :p

I notice in this MU that Sheik always wants to be moving, I was usually doing better while moving around constantly than sitting in shield.

Half the time I pulled out chain I meant to do pivot needles (before I got the timing down), the other half was because Pwneroni loves his tires to the point where I usually like to make him draw to them and take damage for it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik can't really do much to Wario from her shield. Even if you're standing still, you're probably better off throwing out a tilt or something.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I became enamored with instant tossing so my gameplay sucks in the Diddy vid, alot of SDs and silly mistakes but thats why I hold my weekly smashfests. Feedback please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKq8If5SuNY&feature=youtube_gdata_player (DDD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfic_eXabyM&feature=youtube_gdata_player (Diddy)

I really really dislike DDD lol.

Phil, I watched the Wario set. Not bad for a first time in the MU, and Pwernoi is a really solid Wario. With that said, I think you can probably add some more Nair OOS and really just Nair in general. Also, if he's keeping distance, punish landings more with needles. One thing for sure is that his tires must be limited. Just not too sure on safely doing that.

iLight

Smash Lord
first mistake you made, you marked the d3 match as diddy kong and visa versa, second mistake you played zelda not sheik =]

but really i do super prefer sheik vs d3 sheik's grabs feel so effective in that match up
also though i didn't watch all the matches b/c i'm watching an epic sc2 stream right now good job making zelda diddy kong look not that bad lol

Judo777

Smash Master
Ed you and I play pretty similarly. If you don't mind a few critiques. Firstly i cringe everytime i see a down throw. Fthrow is just always better use it lol.

More importantly tho do you know about the GR loop on D3. There were several times where i saw you go about your edge guarding a little wrong. If hes forced to recover low like that just stand on the ledge and wait for the up B. Grab him out of it and pummel him until he releases. He can;t grab the ledge at tyhis point so he is forced to up B again right back into ur grab. This is theoretically infinite free % so take advantage and once hes high enough finish him with some kind of smash when he up bs to the stage (or rather punish it traditionally).

His only option is if he saves a jump before up Bing allowing him to jump after the release. If you see this you can snag the ledge if you think he will go for it. then depending on how far he died going for the ledge you might be able to edge hog him or get up and resume the GR loop.

This is defeated however by him saving several jumps, but if he is doing that then he must not be putting himself in a good spot to upB and more importantly if hes saving alot of jumps he probably can't make it to the ledge. So he would have to up Bing into a more traditional punish (block the stars DACUS which i saw you do).

Sorry i just always put a heavy focus on edge guarding so I feel obligated to share with others cause i believe I'm pretty freaking good at it. lol

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I definitely appreciate the critiques man. It pushes me to fix these things. Thanks man!

Usually I edgeguard much harder but when I start to lose stocks to it, I change it up and try and punish things lol.

sheikamaru

jive
Wow ed I love your sheik so much. I really enjoyed watching your sets :) and I didn't know you can gr diddy to dacus wow :) you play so smart and awesome too.. like I'm watching your vids and I'm like wow I need to do more double jabs to d smash or grab etc. I also enjoyed how you mixed up your moves too :) my sheik needs a lot of work

With that being said here are a couple of friendlies at a fest with pj as tl and against the legendary xyro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7kzBshSV-A&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtrdI0Ff8T0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Thanks killik, glad you enjoyed the sets! With Diddy's GR, he has to be the one to jump release, so it's all on reaction.

I got my controller fixed up to how I like it so I should not be making any input mistakes. w00t! I'll keep trying to put more stuff up.

Judo, I wanna see some vids of you!

Lastly, about to watch these vids now.

EDIT: just got done watching everything. With PJ, you were letting yourself take too much damage by dropping shield a tad too early. Powershielding helps the MU much more and sometimes running away is just as good as shielding. Also, in the situation where PJ just starts running around you, run away because holding your shield is what he wants from you because you're actually cutting options of yours. Aside from dropping your shield early and taking damage, you were playing this MU really well. Especially in the 3rd match, you were taking it to him.

In the Xyro match, that was yours to lose lol! You were playing it really well by staying close but on the last stock you allowed him to gain control of zoning just a bit. In situations where he wants to pressure your shield from the ledge, just walk away, especially if you have the lead. No need to risk unnecessary damage. Same in the PJ final match. All he wanted was the silly gimp Dsmash thingy and you kinda gave it to him lol. When you have a lead, play safe and you'll be fine. Overall, really good stuff man. Keep upthe improvement!

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
It's not that hard, but I'm generally a nice guy. Too nice if you ask me lol. When you gonna crank out some more Sheik vids lol? Since school is out for me, I'm in a critiquing mood even though I have no laptop lol.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Thanks killik, glad you enjoyed the sets! With Diddy's GR, he has to be the one to jump release, so it's all on reaction.

I got my controller fixed up to how I like it so I should not be making any input mistakes. w00t! I'll keep trying to put more stuff up.

EDIT: just got done watching everything. With PJ, you were letting yourself take too much damage by dropping shield a tad too early. Powershielding helps the MU much more and sometimes running away is just as good as shielding. Also, in the situation where PJ just starts running around you, run away because holding your shield is what he wants from you because you're actually cutting options of yours. Aside from dropping your shield early and taking damage, you were playing this MU really well. Especially in the 3rd match, you were taking it to him.

In the Xyro match, that was yours to lose lol! You were playing it really well by staying close but on the last stock you allowed him to gain control of zoning just a bit. In situations where he wants to pressure your shield from the ledge, just walk away, especially if you have the lead. No need to risk unnecessary damage. Same in the PJ final match. All he wanted was the silly gimp Dsmash thingy and you kinda gave it to him lol. When you have a lead, play safe and you'll be fine. Overall, really good stuff man. Keep upthe improvement!

0-74

exited life

afk.

Judo777

Smash Master

My ninja secrets cannot be revealed on vids! lol

Ironically my roommate plays a pretty solid Samus it was fun for us to watch the match and critique stuff. He doesn't know it but he knows the MU better than he thinks.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
don't go off stage against samus like that especially when you have the lead. no reason to let her back on stage do something safe like guess with needles.

are you trying to jump or dodge attacks? a lot of the time it is better to just let the sheild take the hit dodges can be more easily punished than sheild stun since your options are so limited during the dodge.

Izaw

Smash Ace
New set

Izaw(Sheik) vs Haze(MK) best of 7 MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10DOrW2FyU

My DACUS was a bit off in this set, it happens, otherwise this is probably one of the most epic sets so far that I've had, Sheik - MK can be really, really fun, fastpaced and technical. Love playing it. Feel free to discuss and ask questions considering MK. Enjoy =)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
NEO was telling me how effective crouch can be at avoiding non-grounded tornados. I didn't realize how effective it was rofl, and best part is it also minimizes her horizontal hurtbox a bit too, unlike snake's (which I also here can be useful against tornado at times)

Also that FH bair -> FF AD works deceptively well, I always thought I'd get ***** by MK for it, but it looks fairly effective.

Izaw

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm mistaken..but I believe I saw you break mks nado twice without the use of needles?

Yea, once with Bair, once with Fair, from above. Works sometimes even if the nado catches you sometimes. Nair works too.

And Yes. Sheik crouch is extremely good against MK when he is in the air, throwing out Dair. Or the Tornado.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The best way to time for DACUS imo is about where the point MK does a flip in his air release. It's a little before/after that flip (I forget, but once you do that, it's only a matter of getting the input right itself), that you can input a DACUS and pretty much not have to worry about doing it too early and it messing up your input b/c of that. After that happens, you almost never do those annoying dsmashes from inputting it too early.

btw, Orion was a good choice of commentary.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, Orion commentated? Now I have to watch.

EDIT: Haha, advancing the Sheik metagame indeed.
Yes, grab release regrab is guaranteed with boost-grab, though I hadn't thought about its potential for getting in free damage and keeping Meta Knight off the stage. Good **** there.
Don't be so impatient at the ledge when a freakin' MK uair can kill you.
lmao, get grab released two dozen times the previous game, allow FD as a counterpick the next game. Wowwww, that looked painful.
That was a cute trick on Halberd. Don't do it again or I'm pretty certain you'll die, lol
Looks like Haze finally realized just how risky your play is off-stage in game 4
OH MY GOD, if you're not sure when he's gonna come down from that silly Side+B momentum brake just jump out there with a nair, you seem pretty eager to jump way off-stage normally.
I like your use of dtilt to catch air-dodges, but your followups from that launch are kind of lackluster.
Good choice with the panic nair at the very end.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Imo it was better than when PD kept bagging on the last match about how Sheik sucks (which while some of it was true, wasn't giving credit at all, and I felt it was funny that he said it while admitting he lost to NEO's sheik consistently), although it was kinda cool how at the end he changed his mind a little because of how powerful Izaw's gameplay was getting.

Top Bottom