• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lmao for sure broski, we can do any matchup. :D Better be there!

BTW : new match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4hS-dZ6ljQ&feature=channel_video_title
I do my brief checkup on SWF from vacation, and see cool vids for Sheik.

Love those vanish reads, and I love your covering of Snake's landings (although he did use nair a bit excessively, overall you didn't give him any reliable way out anyways), awesome **** is going on with your sheik.

edit: and Billy's Sheik is pretty boss too, good to see he's getting back in business too.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yup, too bad most good snakes will only do that as a rare mixup and will just try to frame trap with ftilt 1. But that's always guaranteed pretty much :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ftilt 1 isn't really a frametrap so much as a mixup and anything he does that isn't ftilt 2 after it is beaten by a shieldgrab after ftilt 1, I think.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I think it can ankoku but it depends on range too.

if people ftilt1 me and drop it I'll jab OOS (if i'm in range) instead of going for a grab or dodge or roll or something.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
:sheik: vs :luigi2:

I'm not around much but i always use shiek in friendlies. She's one of my top 5 fav chars to use. No critique wanted. I just lol'd at some stuff is all.

Who knows i may use shiek in tourney one day...

God damnit ed it's been way too long since i seen u :(. You come to nll? D:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
the timing isn't tricky just hit "a" while you are shielding ftilt 1

the range makes a big difference though. most strong snakes aren't going to use ftilt one as a poke when you are in grab range though.

Well here I am getting ***** LOL, critique from everywhere possible please. 2nd vid is coming.

Iblis :sheik: vs. Hero :marth:
Round 1
ill do a more indepth one later. but for now.

Throw more needles, less approaching with up-smash, less approaching/retreating fair, more grabbing, less airdodging into the opponent.

I'll wait to do a more detailed critique once you get the 2nd vid up.

Round 1: Throw more needles, less approaching with up-smash, less approaching/retreating fair, more grabbing, less airdodging into the opponent.

If you throw more needles, he'll be pressured into approaching you, also its free damage for when he starts randomly throwing out d-tilts from half the map away.

Upsmash is slow, and the hitbox is small. iirc The first part hits on frame 11 and the second part frame 13. You shouldn't be hitting marth with this unless its as a punish for something super laggy. running in and upsmashing from a neutral position is pretty much bad against anyone. It can be nice if you predict a jump, but the majority of the time you're either going to eat a fair to the face, or hes going to shield it and punish you after it.

On your last stock you just started short hop fairing, for seemingly no reason. Hero would be nowhere near you... and you'd just throw out a fair, throw needles instead.

Punish Marth's landings with grabs, if you dash in and perfect shield Marth's fair while hes landing you have a free grab on him. Also don't down throw Marth, he's just going to DI it so hes facing you and suddenly you're in fair zone. If you B-throw Marth you have a guaranteed bair at mid percents, and high percents as well depending on how they DI. Also hes virtually helpless when hes in the air with his back turned to you like that.

Lastly don't airdodge into Marth, in general you're better off landing with an aerial than you would be airdodging into someone. If you feel the need to airdodge... do it away from him, or attempt to grab the ledge, just don't go directly into him, its a great way to give someone free damage on you.

Round 2: You're getting hit too much. Every time the game comes to a neutral position you just run straight at him and eat damage. It looks a lot like paddle ball, he hits you, then you rebound right back to him and he hits you again. Once again instead of running at him you should just throw needles, and if you must approach, you're better of walking and retaining all of your options than dashing.

Overall it felt like you just don't fully understand your move set. You would get into positions where you had an easy punish option, you just didn't know what to do. For example you'd spot dodge a shield breaker, then jab him at the furthest possible range, like he was so far away that you left yourself no followups to the jab, and ended up eating a fair. Another time he landed by fairing your shield and ending up right next to you, you could have grabbed or naired OoS, but instead you just kind of jumped away and let it go. That's just something that comes naturally with practice. Besides a few bad habits, I think what you need to work on most is getting a feel for Sheik.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Tutu, that was an amazing critique. Thought you hated this MU lol.

Some things to add on. PSing destroys his spacing. Since Sheik has one of or the fastest dash shield in the game, you can close the gap on him very fast if you really wanted. More needles definitely as Tutu was saying. Always look at their airdodge habits because he's floaty enough to easily land tippered Usmash and get early kills. It's really all about patience with Marth, pick your spot and you'll be fine.

:phone:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I feel like you were playing far too safe overall in the MU. Like, there were quite a few openings in SK and because you were playing safe, you didn't capitalize on them. Such as the times where he had to C4 recover at PS1, you could have placed more pressure on him and it could've been his stock. Too many Pivot grabs imo, they got you punished to often.

A trick I like to utilize, when they are in the air, and grenade pivoting to get away, you can cover their landing with DACUS. There is no where or shouldn't be anywhere for him to land. More often then not, you were trying to follow up after a throw but would eat a Bair instead. Try simply reading his habits after a throw, does he AD? how does he DI? Those should be things you look for in a throw.

You telegraph when you are throwing your needles. I recommend learning the grounded pivot or wavebounce needles because it allows you to be much more mobile with your needles so you can remain unpredictable. Lastly I'll say, that the two stages you brought snake to, were places I'd avoid like the plague. Were they comfort picks? Snake is amazing on both levels.

I really like how you broke his shield twice at PS1. That was some awesome stuff right there man. You played well against him, it was really only a few little things that you can improve on. You can beat SK, now you gotta do it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
be warry about punishing landings with dash grab because marth ALWAYS has access to the upB option and if you let him now everytime he lands you'll sheild grab he'll punish it with upB instead of landing.

2 know you grab range. a lot of the time you aren't going to be able to punish with a sheild grab so know when you can and when you can't

don't use dsmash as a panic button. its very laggy and easy to punish (free tipper fsmash easy). use your jabs instead they link into similar and/or better option just about every time AND they are faster.

Needle all day every day. if they can't punish needle toss then you should be throwing needles if the can punish needle toss but not a needle charge concider just charging needles to potentially build up damage on your next toss and to force a reaction.

Everything tutu said was very well said don't air dodge into the ground ever the is rarely a reason to.

dash attack is sheik's best punish anything you can punish as fox with dash usmash you can get with sheik's dash attack as well. dash attack is an amazing move after certain percents.

I'd suggest not punishing with dtilt ever... it doesn't really link into anything or set up for anything that you can't get from you other moves. ftilt is almost always the better option spare very very low percents. builds much more damage and leaves you with better set ups.

learn your ftilt->usmash staling and percents it is huge.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
TuTu

ftilt lock->utilit or uair

don't ftilt lock dsmash (it's gonna be the same amount of damage as utilit or uair)

and don't usmash (it isn't garunteed at lower percents)

ftilt locking as long as possible does two things it maxmizes damage (1 ftilt -> dsmash is gonna give you less that 4 or 5 ftilt -> utilt) and stales ftilt (this make ftilt->usmash more reliable later in the match, refreshes other moves like fair and bair and makes ftilt locks last even longer the next time you get them.)

Dnyce

Smash Master
the timing isn't tricky just hit "a" while you are shielding ftilt 1

the range makes a big difference though. most strong snakes aren't going to use ftilt one as a poke when you are in grab range though.
Why are you hitting "A" in shield...?

You guys need to stop playing melee and start playing brawl =/ Snake's ftilt is always in grab range if it can hit you.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
If you press a while holding shield you grab. that plus buffering makes it very easy to be frame perfect on stuff like that.

I don't have the reaction time to slide into him dnyce... I don't think most humans do.

Dnyce

Smash Master
If you press a while holding shield you grab. that plus buffering makes it very easy to be frame perfect on stuff like that.

I don't have the reaction time to slide into him dnyce... I don't think most humans do.
If I press A while holding shield, I jump.

By slide, do you mean issdi? Because it's just as easy as buffering a shield grab input with a button, but it's a lot more effective (and still frame perfect).

Judo777

Smash Master
If I press A while holding shield, I jump.

By slide, do you mean issdi? Because it's just as easy as buffering a shield grab input with a button, but it's a lot more effective (and still frame perfect).
You talkin about cstick up to issdi and buffer a grab?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
On your 1st stock in the first match, you played masterfully. I feel like you took unnecessary damage and got afraid quickly of Lucario's aura. Also, watch your opponent when you recover. He gave you plenty of space to recover with chain but you got yourself hurt. Just keep your eye on them and see which options they present you so you react accordingly.

2nd stock, I must say it. Why did you die, getting hit by an Fsmash 57%. He was only at 107% so you had plenty of life left in that stock. Also, in that stock you were using Dsmash far too much instead of looking to string moves together. With Lucario, we need every kill move we have, so to stale our quickest one frame-wise hurts you a lot. Up until the death though, you were playing well again. work on that emergency DI because it appeared like you didn't expect to get hit at all.

3rd stock you succumbed to one of Sheik's biggest weaknesses, getting up to a neutral position from the ledge. With Lucario, it's that much harder because he has so much range to cover most of our options. Really just a big guessing game and you guessed wrong so nothing you could do there. I recommend a fast re-tether and then ledgedrop DJ spaced Fair while you still have a little invincibility. It still isn't safe but it's better than passively. getting up.

Altogether, in the first match you played well but you got yourself into trouble with some simple things I already mentioned. You also let him off the hook a little bit sometimes because you were trying to read him too hard. Sometimes you really just have to go for it and make him go into a mistake. Well played match though.

1st stock second match, you played well again. You made good reads but there were again a few moment where I felt like you would let him off the hook because you were trying to read him. An example is when you did nothing as he Faired back on the stage. He was open for an attack that you were able to punish but you didn't. Just the little things man. As you started against his second stock, you started staling Dsmashing again. Just my opinion, but that's our best killer aside from Usmash in this MU. Sad way to watch ya die because you did work on this stock but I am a tad surprised you didn't see the aura sphere coming.

2nd stock at the beginning he just tacked on such quick damage and you didn't even really fight back. It seemed like you were just trying to avoid him. The first 50% you took I attributed to spot dodging. Try to avoid things by using your ground mobility because our spot dodge is pretty lame. Also, stop staling Dsmash lol. At 6:30 you lucked out so hard. This is where I say look what your opponent is doing. Right there when he started his aura sphere, you could have safely fast fell a little and then tethered to the stage. Good pressure to get that kill on his 2nd stock. You get so defensive it appears when he respawned. Put some more pressure on him. Also, bad DI on the throw that killed you. You had no business dying imo.

3rd stock you played well but you staled up that Dsmash a bit more and it bit ya at the end. Also, there were a few times that you took damage from Fsmash where you shouldn't have. It felt like you were unsure of how much total range that move has in the air or on the ground and how long it lingers so you took most of your early damage there. You had two chances to outright kill him from 8:49-8:54. You could have Naired out of your PS and you could have stage spiked him but allowed him to grab the ledge free. You also hard read his option when he came back on the stage but didn't do anything. Lame way to die at the end of the match you had plenty of chances.

Overall, you played really well but got yourself hurt a lot by trying to read him way too hard and not actually going through with it. I will say that you have a bad habit of using Dsmash as a GTFO move and staling it up. You have to save every kill move you have. You didn't use Usmash or DACUS at all and I know you can. It could have covered a few of his landings when he airdodged away from you and likely netted some early kills. I also think you should use your mobility more. Cut down on spotdodges and rolls and rely more on ground mobility. Not a bad Sheik at all though. You played well. I hope all this helps.

Tesh

Smash Hero
@ Kilik, you can get off the ledge pretty easily on SV if you just plank until the platform comes your way. Then you have alot more options and they can't all be covered by fsmash spam. Platform cancelling a ledge jump is one of the quickest.

Top Bottom