• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well, I'm telling you from my memory.

And I thought he was going to double jump immediately.

I didn't notice that I caught him out of his double jump.

Though the obvious answer would be imo just grab ledge haha. I think its just a safer idea.

I need to run into that situation more often so I can just get used to edgehog people >_>

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
When he ran off stage he should've just fall down with a weak nair kill, but he didn't, he jumped back on.

He could've still easily edge hogged him or simply SH needled Jmans sweetspot (and then kill him), but instead he wavedashed back ruining all of his edgeguard options..=]
I love you Amsah. This made me laugh out loud for quite some time. xD

Edit: You couldn't have just grabbed the ledge and edgeguarded him because Jman would have reacted and just gone straight up and then you wouldn't have edgeguarded. :(

Tec0 I saw your match vs Hax... :( @ sd'ing and that phantom shinespike that didn't work out.

KK- Forgot about the weak bear. xD

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Actually Tremor, thanks a lot for bringing up this video.

For some reason I just freeze in that scenario. Now that it became the topic for discussion I realize that I just fail to act on this specific, yet semi often occurring situation.

Thaaaaanks <3

EDIT: Wait... my vids can have uses besides having people lol at them?..... LMFAO...

Spawn - I'm erasing everything in that match from my memory. Seriously, single handedly the worst set I've ever played.

It also kinda looks like he might barely not make it. If not..... maybe an edgehop nair? I dunno, I can't be thinking about this right now ****EN MARC :mad:

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'm sorry Haley. :( I didn't mean for this to have everyone pick on you. Just put that day behind you. You got 3rd, good **** representing the Sheiks. I'm sure you played fine in those other matches that weren't recorded lol.

Also, the stuff you did good in your matches, were really good btw.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
LMAO

Tbh I still feel like I got 3rd by shenanigans bur enough about that.

I played pretty good vs Jman, or at least I thought so. I literally just couldn't play Hax after that game. I kinda feel bad about it now that people tell me how disappointed they were :(

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Just do your best next time.
That's over now, all you can do is do your best. :)

Play pretty good again, but then keep playing pretty good ;)

(it would provide us with more videos to lol @ LOL jkz)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I wanted to see you vs Swiftbass but that didn't get recorded. :( Can you describe to me how the matches went? Gimp a lot, go Sheik mostly, were there all 3 games, etc?..or you can just talk to me on aim about it later.

Man do I love me some good theory smash... almost as much as actually playing.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Me vs Swiftbass was pretty much a fox ditto but I guess he was tired? Or something because I asked to play him right after I saw his match against Jman.

I basically was able to just react to his strategies and felt like I had the advantage all game.

Next match he CPed me to FD, I stayed fox guessing he picked FD because he feels that he can land more grabs on me than I can on him.

Then he went Marth and I just kinda won. His fox is a lot better than his Marth, he told me it was a desperation tactic because he felt like I had a great read on his Fox.

Dyanamisn - LMAO I'll do just that. Maybe I'll bug to get recorded, I typically just play on non-recorded setups haha.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Ah, alright thanks. I can't believe he beat Jman, what a big win for him, ****.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Come to Toronto and I will show you. :devil:

Or host another decent-sized tournament and/or a sexy party. Either would be acceptable :laugh:

B-throw SH Bair when you're right at the edge is pretty good though.
sauc3 was saying he wantd to host a tourny sometime in late march so look out for that!

anyway, yea sheik is pretty fun to play so i wanna learn her but i suck at techchasing and gimping and chaingrabbing right now :dizzy:

i kinda just always played characters that autocombo and have lasers and stuff so i never learned about these kinds of strategies >_> they are foreign to me.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
CG is just one big autocombo.

For tech chase I dunno, learn to react. It's better than predicting. I do both but only because I like to u-smash people. For all serious purposes, just reacting with a billion regrabs and dash attacks is better when you're tech chasing. Sprinkle tilts and down smashes where applicable.

Gimping has like a few main things. Immediately covering the air above the ledge with Nair or Bair (I like Bair more) is popular because you can drift back and grab edge with Bair or just keep drifting and maybe hit someone that DJed away and started their Firefox. You can run off DJ Nair and cover the DJ sweetspot and instant DJ airdodgde kind of. You can also WD --> Bair, or WD --> FF edge grab and do stuff. Nothing is also good (but often overlooked) since it covers pretty much everything but them grabbing the edge immediately.

kpat

Smash Rookie
This is a tough question, but when I am up in Chico (for college) I really don't have anyone to play against. I have been working on my play speed and the more technical aspects (shffling, rnc, shino stall, etc.) and I seem to have those down pretty well. I just need to get some actual play time with other people.

I don't know how I can improve by just playing computers... I don't get to learn matchups, or when to use specific moves.

Anyone have any advice on how I can improve without necessarily having others to play against?

Oh and I don't have a car , otherwise I would drive to Redding or somewhere nearby to play people..

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
yea i learned a trick for learning a characters back roll after u dthrow. so if u just dthrow and stand there the cpu will get up or attack. iirc if u turn ur back to the cpu (maybe scoot forward a little but i forget) they will roll backwards. u can memorize that animation

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Nothing is also good (but often overlooked) since it covers pretty much everything but them grabbing the edge immediately.
I like this ^

But be ready to grab the ledge when doing nothing, it isn't too difficult to see when they're going into that area where they CAN quickly.

You're on stage and they're off, it's a great situation.

No reason to commit yourself to anything unless you think you can predict them and cover all of their options somehow. :)

xDavid

Smash Cadet
I was just watching Sheik videos on youtube and I came across one that was titled
" Forwards sheik"
And I was wondering what that means because I found one for Falco too.

Paixy

Smash Journeyman
I was just watching Sheik videos on youtube and I came across one that was titled
" Forwards sheik"
And I was wondering what that means because I found one for Falco too.
Forward as in the professional player lol

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Depends on if they cook them lol.

You probably wouldn't want to catch a flashing red one.
This made me laugh.

On another note,

Is jumping and then reacting with fair good vs Falcon? All I do vs Falcon now is grab him/dash attack him at x percent and then he dies. I wanna be able to do more cool stuff. I've noticed randomly tilting is really bad because he can wait until your lag is over and then grab/kill you.

Also, pressuring Falcon's shield is the easiest thing to do in the world.

DJRome

Smash Hero
LMAO

Against Falcon, the fancy stuff comes AFTER the dashattack/grab stuff.

Like rising Dairs and stuff. Fun fun. :D

But Fair reacting < His Fair aiming.
:\
i had a feeling no one was gonna get that. but fair just ***** everything as well

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
This made me laugh.

On another note,

Is jumping and then reacting with fair good vs Falcon? All I do vs Falcon now is grab him/dash attack him at x percent and then he dies. I wanna be able to do more cool stuff. I've noticed randomly tilting is really bad because he can wait until your lag is over and then grab/kill you.

Also, pressuring Falcon's shield is the easiest thing to do in the world.
What would you react with fair against?

I really don't think I would plan on beating Falcon's moves with fair. I'd limit aerials to fairing/bairing his shield personally.

I pretty much agree with KK here. Sheik's ground game is really devastating to Falcon as a whole. All I would use aerials for is to keep him grounded and shielding to limit his running space.

Though I've seen plank use Nair quite a few times against falcon. I'm not exactly sure what his reasoning would be to run and just nair over him or whatever but maybe he can shine some light on it.

I prefer safer play because we have the ability to reduce the game to landing a single grab to do tons of damage.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Tec0 that's how I play also, I just wanted to see if it was a viable option vs Falcon and I didn't think it was.

Doing Nair vs Falcon is only good if you see his move and are trying to beat it I feel. Then the case is why do nair when you can just outprioritize him with ftilt and then get a free grab off usually.

wilkins

Smash Apprentice
Aerials hit him out of his aerials but sometimes don't because aerials don't really have priority, just hitboxes. And because if Falcon gets underneath your massively high jump he wins and your jump is massively high so that happens more than you want it to. And there's no CC on the ground to assist you if you fail your spacing and get hit. So it's just not good karma.

Hi SPAWN.

I'm too lazy to log out of my friend's account.

- Dave

wilkins

Smash Apprentice
Try to do it to a standing Kirby whilst facing him. If you get the strong hit, you're doing it right. If you do not get the full damage, you're doing it wrong.

I think. It might be Jigglypuff you do it on, not Kirby.

Spife

Smash Master
Try to do it to a standing Kirby whilst facing him. If you get the strong hit, you're doing it right. If you do not get the full damage, you're doing it wrong.

I think. It might be Jigglypuff you do it on, not Kirby.
I can't get any hit, you sure you can hit that low?

Spife

Smash Master
another question
wat?
Upsmash frame 13
http://i45.tinypic.com/2h3oois.jpg
Upsmash frame 14
http://i50.tinypic.com/29yf3mh.jpg

uhhhh
I know sheik has a hit box above her on the upsmash but I"m not seeing it... there is no red on frame 13, then it jumps to her arms being at her sides on frame 14. Am I missing something here?

Another question!
What should I do when some one is teching above me on a platform? I figure at 100ish fair isn't a bad idea but can they smash di that and tech it on the platform? what about dair (assuming I could combo out of it)?
Thinking about it... it depends on the situation, dair wouldn't work if i can't follow it up, and they can't smash di and tech fair if there's no room to tech. Any thoughts though?

Top Bottom